The garage called and said there is metal in the oil.
So, there’s that can o worms.
Since I am stuck in Germany for 6 more months with no access to a lift (covid) and shop prices are crazy for labor, I really don’t know what direction to take this.
We owe $10K on the Pilot.
Used engines go from $1,700 - 2,500.
Rebuilt are more.
If a Honda rebuild came with a warranty, that would be nice. But any work done here will be void when I move in 6 months.
So many directions this can go wrong. Not many that can go right.
Tell me how crazy this sounds:
- Have the garage it is at change the oil pump and stuff under the timing belt covers
- Ask them to do their best to flush the oil passages clean. Maybe the filter kept damage to a minimum?
- Drive it under its own power to the port for shipping and get it to America
- Swap the engine with a warranty rebuild back home
- Buy equipment for 3D printing and metal casting
- Use trashed engine castings to make custom moped parts
I cannot sell the thing here. It has no trade in value. It has to run to ship with military PCS. I am too stubborn to junk it and eat a $10K loss.
I will never underestimate an idiot light again.