My Stimulus is being STOLEN

By my wife’s car!

I had to drive her 2010 Pilot today and the oil light came on.

Oil was low, like bottom of the hashed area on dipstick. I added about a quart. Went on my way.

The light was still on. I hate idiot lights because I had no way of knowing if the pressure was actually low or if the computer needed time to clear the fault.

Well, all was well for about 10 min and the engine became a bit erratic. I limped to a spot and shut it down.

No leaks. Nothing seemed hot. Started back up and heard some clunking.

The most obvious thing has to be the oil pump. And that shit is buried under everything.

Usually, I wont bother with a repair like this on a new-ish vehicle. I rather let the family car get worked on by dealer mechanics.

But German shops are gonna charge me more than the car is worth to fix this. So, I have to give it a go.

All you mechanics on here, anyone care to give me some pointers on replacing this?

I want to drain some oil and see if the engine is contaminated with ground up pump parts. Cause I definitely don’t have the ability to clear that out. But I do have enough tools to take stuff apart and put it back together.

It is good timing finance-wise. But... gawd I had so many other plans.

Re: My Stimulus is being STOLEN

Probably Fred /

Having been run with low or no oil pressure a lot more in the engine could be damaged especially if you drove it to the point of it being erratic that’s a no no. The moment you lose oil pressure the car should be towed not driven anymore,

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Having been run with low or no oil pressure a lot more in the engine

> could be damaged especially if you drove it to the point of it being

> erratic that’s a no no. The moment you lose oil pressure the car should

> be towed not driven anymore,

This ^^. There is an exception though. A motor with hydraulic lifters can behave in the same matter when low on oil or oil pressure but the Pilot does NOT have that type of valve train.

If it were me, id be looking for a used motor. You're gonna have to pull the original motor anyway to repair the damage done. (edited)

Yeah. Normally I would never drive a car if I thought it was low on oil or no pressure.

Getting a tow here is about as much as a garage bill unless you have a membership with ADAC (like AAA).

It was strange to have the idiot light on with no symptoms.

I was gonna use my tax return to pay it off.

If it is a bad oil pump, I will have lost all my once well deserved trust in a Honda motor.

Things like this never failed before. Even If you abused them. I used to run my honda cars HARD. Never broke an engine part.

This thing started with trouble with the VCM and the coils are trash. I was using way more oil than any other Honda I have owned.

Sounds like your engine is toast. Should have shut it down & had it towed. I’m sure the tow bill would cost less than replacing the engine. But I guess you get to learn that lesson now.

I doubt that the oil pump caused the damage. As you said, it consumed more oil than any other Honda and pumps dont do that. Not keeping up with the consumption and repetitively running it low on oil over weeks, months or years is what killed the motor, it's pump and other internals. (edited)

I wouldn’t throw the towel in on this engine.

Maybe the oil will be clean and the pump is just not being driven?

Like, I haven’t studied the replacement yet, but it looks like tensioners on the timing belt turn this mess. If the tensioner is toast, that could cause problems but not necessarily sent trash through the whole engine.

My wife would actually be happy though. She doesn’t like this car anymore and was talking about trading it. With high miles and dings everywhere, it has no real value.

It would be the first time I destroyed something expensive, if that is the case. Don’t like playing the part of dumbass. Sometimes it happens though.

There is a huge diff between oil being low on the dipstick or actual LOW oil starvation to the engine.

This thing has never been starved of oil. My wife isn’t that bad and she always lets me know when it is due for a change.

She checks it and adds oil. If the pump failed, it is because honda makes pumps that fail before 250K miles nowadays.

You were using way more oil than any other Honda you've had. The motor was soured already.

Why do you even suspect the oil pump? It is not your problem.

That sux, but yeah, if the oil light did not go off once you added oil it should never have been driven, in my experience the oil light is not controlled by the computer, but rather a physical sensor, if it is on=no pressure, or no oil, either way driving with that light on is a no no. If you are going to pull the engine, maybe invest in an overhaul kit and just re-do it? Or go used engine route....or buy a different car, a Toyota perhaps. anyway, sorry this happened, it is bizarre how cars seem to "know" when you have extra $, but on the bright side, at least you have it. Get a full understanding of the failure before you waste too much time/money on it.

punkrock randy /

Get a used JDM engine, great deals and low km’s👍🏼

punkrock randy /

Wait, u said Pilot. They even do that one in Japan?

I looked into it a bit. Pump is driven directly by timing belt. So... Yeah she’s probably got all bad news in there.

No way will I try to replace an engine here. America yes. Germany NO FUCKIN WAY.

The best option. As crazy as it may sound, if the engine is trash, is to throw the car in a junk yard and buy something else.

The cost is that prohibitive.

Wow....they sure are strict over there.

Do you have theft insurance?

^lol.....

Insurance would be nice. I won’t play that game.

And, there aren’t enough car theives to just leave it somewhere with the keys in. It would never get stolen. Maybe vandalized.

I will quit speculating for now. The thing I was looking at a few min ago looks like the pump pushes through the filter. Maybe the filter got it.

It is a huge job to change this pump. More than I have tools, equipment, lifts and jacks for.

No matter how this goes, somebody is getting all my money. Even if I never moved the car today, all that money was spent.

But on the bright side you have it to spend. If the pump is driven by the timing belt if it got hard to turn (pump) I wonder if the belt jumped a tooth, causing the erratic running?

First drain the oil and drop the pan and inspect the rod bearings, if they're smoked you're gonna have to do that too. Then after that it's pretty easy. Takes about 5 hours I would say. The oil pump bolts on the front of the engine and is driven directly off the crank shaft. Basically the repair entails removing the right front inner fender and the oil pan. Then take off the serpentine pulley, balancer and a tensioner. Then all you do is remove the old pump and install a new one. Make sure to grease your new oil seals and clean all of the mating surfaces well.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Step one. Test oil pressure.

If you don’t have a pressure gauge to test with, just spend your money on an oil pressure sending unit. Chances are it’s just a bad sender.

When you say running erratic, was this accompanied with a check engine light, with VVT codes?

The VVT operates by oil pressure. Without any pressure, codes should be set and the check engine light would illuminate.

Idiot lights are fine. Most people couldn’t tell you if a gauge reading is good or bad anyway. That light is more than likely driven solely by the sending unit itself. No computer involved.

That motor probably holds around 5 quarts. It could be 3 quart low, nothing on the stick, and still operate fine. VVT operation starts to drop out when the oil level gets extremely low, which results in low pressure because most of the oil is up in the heads and the pump starts to suck air. Say maybe when there’s only a quart or so left in the engine.

How much stimulus does Germany give you? Asking for a friend.

I am not German and get nothing from this country but contempt.

I got my Mericuh stimulus for me, wife and three kids.

I Googled more about this. Still haven’t messed with the car much because I have a lot to do at work right now.

If the oil pump was totally gone, I don’t think I would have made it as far as I did.

I was watching for temp change (we at least still get actual temp gauge on cars) and listening for anything out of place.

Believe me if you want to, or not, but I know the sound difference of my vehicles when they have fresh oil or old. If they are cold or hot. If they are giving normal throttle response. I absolutely did not hear, feel, smell, sense any change other than the idiot light.

And I stopped and added oil when the idiot light came on, which was a little low, but not out.

In the states, I would have stopped there and towed the car. Breaking down in germany is a huge production. You, and everyone in the car, has to get out and stand far off the road with bright green safety vests on. You have to wait for the police and tow truck. You are basically in trouble and can be cited for a violation if the breakdown was your fault. Like running out of gas.

I had two kids with me and it is cold. So, there was some desire to not have to stop if it was a bad sensor or whatever.

I also found out yesterday that my insurance doesnt cover towing. Oddly enough, you can tow cars here with a chain. You are only supposed to do it to get them off the road to safety, but I know I have seen people pulling broken cars home. My golf ain’t pulling the pilot 10 miles through hills.

Sorry for the long post that basically says nothing. I will go this morning and check my oil for contamination. Let the viewers know what happens there.

Is the check engine light on?

> Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Is the check engine light on?

Yes. But it was already on. It has issues with the coils and sometimes it will misfire enough times to kick the light on. After a few power cycles, it will go out and stay out provided you dont have to cruise at 45 mph for a long enough period to cause the misfire to happen too much.

Which is another gripe I have about new Hondas. These coils have been trash for 15 years. maybe they need to go back to a distributor and plug wires.

And... while they’re at it, make their cars get 50mpg again instead of 30.

Pilot is at the shop now. I tried to get an oil sample but the drain bolt was stuck (cold engine) and I couldn’t knock it loose with a short socket wrench.

It will be at least a day before I get word from them.

“Well, all was well for about 10 min and the engine became a bit erratic. I limped to a spot and shut it down.

No leaks. Nothing seemed hot. Started back up and heard some clunking.”

“I absolutely did not hear, feel, smell, sense any change other than the idiot light.“

So now which is it? It was erratic and clunking, or there were no symptoms other than the oil light?

Seems silly to me to be checking the condition of the oil. Maybe if the maintenance reminder light was on, then yeah. But this the oil “pressure” light, correct? I’d been checking oil pressure, not condition. You’ve already verified oil level. And you’re saying there’s no audible signs of an issue, and like i said, if there’s no check engine light with VVT codes, it’s not the pump. The pump is the most lubricated part of the engine and failure is highly unlikely.

I take it that they don’t require emissions inspection there.

The way I wrote the narrative, it was stating that the light came on, and absolutely nothing changed that would give concern. No sounds, smells, temp changes, etc. Nothing.

So, the fact that the oil was a little low and I had to add some made me think that perhaps Honda thought it was a good idea to include a low oil level part to the oil idiot light. And, just maybe, it needed time to clear that code before the light would extinguish.

I pondered these thoughts as I gently continued toward my destination and kept a careful attention to any changes.

After 10-15 min of completely uneventful driving on highway and hill country roads, I noticed a little dip on the tach while holding steady throttle at ~1500rpm. That was the first sign of anything actually problematic besides the light.

I was coasting down a hill at that point and looking for a place to pull over. While coasting the engine shut off.

I coasted to a safe place and got out to see if there was anything visible or smells. Felt around for unusually hot stuff (not touching but hovering). I didn’t have much to go on at that point.

I wanted to see if the motor seized, So I blipped the starter. Well, this car doesn’t really allow that. It just started. Super easy. No sign of heat at all. Temp gauge reading low to normal. Idle was fine. But a that point there was a sound. Something at engine speed was faintly clunking.

I was a block from the house of the kid I was returning home. Figured, what the hell, made it that far, might as well park it there and deal with the issue.

I usually have reason to support the decisions I make. This time, I may have been putting too much trust and wishful thinking into the mix.

Ľ̷̝̽͒i̶̛̼͑͠ȁ̸̧̛̽m̵̻̟̯̀̅ ̷͎̙̽̊F̶̲̺͑̓ F /

If you go to a parts store, you could probably borrow their ob2 scanner and find what code it is throwing.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account