Helix or CM 400/750A?

Want a motorcycle, do not want to shift one, unless it is an MB-5, and that defeats the purpose of a motorcycle at 50cc, so which for just bumming around town would you pick? Had a Cm 400A, it was a great bike, light for highway travel, as I imagine the Helix would be, but very comfortable, never rode a 750 A, but looks heavy? Helix seems ideal, but never rode one, my current scooter is squirrely unless I put my feet on passenger pegs, then it is ok, but it is an oddball, hard to find parts for, and not as trustworthy as I want, and while fast for a 50cc 2 stroke, (45) wide open, not highway legal. Helix is said to be stable due to leading link front suspension, and long wheelbase, but feet on a floor idk, there is also the Silverwing, those are getting cheap now too, or the Yammy Majesty, a 400cc. Any opinions welcome. I have no intentions of touring, but maybe a summer commute on the highway, 15 miles or so each way, but mostly in town riding, just faster than a moped, with a better seat. :)

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

You speak of a desire I cannot understand. Shifting gears is one of the most enjoyable parts about riding.

Just picture this:

Slowing down for a curve in the road, going down the gears until you get to the right one. The one that lets your engine spin high in the rpms; right in the powerband.

But you’ve feathered the throttle. The engine is turning fast but the sound is silent. Like a lioness crouched at the end of a stalk. Eyes ahead, muscles tense, checking her footing...

Then, you hit the apex and pull the trigger.

I have only ridden little scooters with the CVTs. Maybe the bigger ones are a bit better?

The thought of cranking the throttle wide open to just hear an interminable WHIR-rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

*mopeds are okay though. they are trying their hardest with one gear.

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

punkrock randy /

Yeah, I can’t find enjoyment in an automagic transmission. Even semi autos make me flaccid:-( I guess I prefer standard automatic over cvt though 💁🏼‍♂️

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I’d go with the Helix. Never owned one, but I have owned a few Elite 250’s, which share the same motor as the Helix. That motor is super reliable and easy to pull maintenance on. (edited)

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

I get what you are spraying but the autos are not great. The helix is a good choice if you can get over how ugly they are. I would get a larger scoot if you want something like that. A guy I used to work with got a kymco 250 scoot and loved it. I dont remember the model but he said in japan they were called the grand dink. So we just called it the dink. He drove it to work every day and had an hour plus drive.

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

Here you go. Grand vista 250 or grand dink. I even found a tiny set of truck nuts for an rc car and mounted them on the back of it without him knowing. Was pretty funny (edited)

Screenshot_20201220-093447_Google.jpg

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I’ve owned two Grand Vistas. Very reliable and sturdy bikes. I sold them both last year because I got tired of their styling. I’d rather have a scooter that actually looks like a scooter.

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

punkrock randy /

I have always thought rippin around a helix would be aight.

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

Conan from SMOG has one for sale in buy sell. I think he still has it.

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

I saw that, love the seat cover, but it's far away, they come up for sale here often enough. I know how to shift a motorcycle, but just don't enjoy it anymore, no desire to race or carve corners, just ride around. Funny thing, I love shifting a car? I like the styling of the Helix, because you know, I'm weird! :) I know they are dead reliable, and that matters too. I need to wait and test drive one though, to see it it is stable with the riding position. Thanks for the input!

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Both good bikes. So long as you buy a solid one either would probably be ok. I will point out the fact that the Hondamatic is nearly 40 years old at this point, so getting a newer helix might be ideal for reliability.

I use to hate scooters but now I like them. I would go look at some and test ride them. Ignore how people perceive you on it and see if you actually enjoy it. That’s what matters.

I love shifting too but I totally see where you are coming from. I discovered I actually prefer quads to be automatic... i hate being in the wrong gear while going up hill. Sometimes the delay in down shifting can kill your momentum and then you get that dreaded backwards rolling feel. Also, sometimes I just enjoy riding my Yamaha qt50 or tomos and like not having to shift.

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

An automatic motorcycle is almost as dumb as an automatic semi.

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

Both of which are making a comeback, it all depends on what you want it for I think. The semi's are because so many people don't know how to shift? I do know how to shift, and enjoy it in a car, but it is tiresome on a motorcycle if you are not racing.

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

I believe both exist because of incompetent riders/drivers. Beyond that, I see no other purpose, other than a disability or laziness.

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

I wouldn’t be that ^ negative about it.

It isn’t what I prefer. But I can totally see where some people might.

Some people want a power boat and some people like to sail.

My dad got older and stopped listening to his music loud and drives automatics.

I have experienced many changes in taste. Just not this one yet.

If you are just wanting a carefree ride, I agree with the idea of getting something newer and easy to find parts/maintain.

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

Dirty30 Dillon /

Guy asks:

Would you get a or b, leave it up to the OT crowd to chastise choosing a or b, when he should obviously just get R, the manly choice.

The helix is a better choice, given the age, and parts availability. IF I had to really choose, I would just grab a Late model Vespa. I rode a 300 gt last year and it was a hoot.

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

> Seth B Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I believe both exist because of incompetent riders/drivers. Beyond that,

> I see no other purpose, other than a disability or laziness.

I just don't want to shift, so I guess lazy? I'll own that. :) To the semi's I had no idea so many were these days, saw an add for a truck driving school that advertised auto and manual classes, so there must be lots of them around?

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

It’s ok to be lazy about some shit. But I love shifting bikes more than anything.

Trucks, yeah, almost all SWIFT trucks are automatic Volva’s. Probably half of all new drivers have no idea how to actually drive truck. Just put their really long semicar in Drive, and go. Avoid SWIFT trucks like the plague.

Sure Wish I Finished Training

See What I Fuckedup Today

Rant over- Ride on, shifting or not. Just keep riding

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Both good bikes. So long as you buy a solid one either would probably be

> ok. I will point out the fact that the Hondamatic is nearly 40 years old

> at this point, so getting a newer helix might be ideal for reliability.

>

> I use to hate scooters but now I like them. I would go look at some and

> test ride them. Ignore how people perceive you on it and see if you

> actually enjoy it. That’s what matters.

>

> I love shifting too but I totally see where you are coming from. I

> discovered I actually prefer quads to be automatic... i hate being in

> the wrong gear while going up hill. Sometimes the delay in down shifting

> can kill your momentum and then you get that dreaded backwards rolling

> feel. Also, sometimes I just enjoy riding my Yamaha qt50 or tomos and

> like not having to shift.

I'm going to have to ride one, the one I have now is ok, but I don't ride it as intended, (foot placement) and a maxi scooter does not have provisions for that riding style. I could give zero fucks about how people perceive me on it, hell I ride mopeds...lol, this is for me, not to fit into anything. Just like being outside, riding around, no more speed racer for me. Just a comfortable ride that always runs. :)

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

I rode the Helix twice - its very comfy - i think your 15 mile highway commute would be enjoyable and you'd be finding reasons to extend the ride - the bike does have a foot pedal operated rear brake which may be hard to get used to. For my short test rides it also seemed slow and heavy to handle at lower speeds. I found myself thinking how I would avoid a crash at lower speeds - maybe with a lot of saddle time you would feel safer. I've seen guys with tons of miles on these - Its a vertical liquid cooled 244cc 2 valve single -

https://www.motorscooterguide.net/Honda/Helix/Helix.html

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I believe both exist because of incompetent riders/drivers. Beyond that, I see no other purpose, other than a disability or laziness.

It amazes me how you are totally incapable of seeing differing preferences. That would be like me calling my wife lazy for not liking to ride motorcycles... or her calling me a moron for not wanting to spend the day sipping wine and starring at art. People enjoy different things for different reasons...

Its like sports cars... I cant understand why anyone would want a automatic transmission in a corvette but apparently people do... from what i hear you cant even buy a brand new one from Chevy anymore in a manual option. So while that would somewhat spoil the fun for me, apparently people do still enjoy the cars in automatic and they sell well enough for Chevy to continue to produce and improve them.

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I believe both exist because of incompetent riders/drivers. Beyond that,

> I see no other purpose, other than a disability or laziness.

>

> It amazes me how you are totally incapable of seeing differing

> preferences. That would be like me calling my wife lazy for not liking

> to ride motorcycles... or her calling me a moron for not wanting to

> spend the day sipping wine and starring at art. People enjoy different

> things for different reasons...

>

> Its like sports cars... I cant understand why anyone would want a

> automatic transmission in a corvette but apparently people do... from

> what i hear you cant even buy a brand new one from Chevy anymore in a

> manual option. So while that would somewhat spoil the fun for me,

> apparently people do still enjoy the cars in automatic and they sell

> well enough for Chevy to continue to produce and improve them.

Others can have their opinions & preferences. I have mine, and stand by them.

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Its like sports cars... I cant understand why anyone would want a

> automatic transmission in a corvette but apparently people do... from

> what i hear you cant even buy a brand new one from Chevy anymore in a

> manual option. So while that would somewhat spoil the fun for me,

> apparently people do still enjoy the cars in automatic and they sell

> well enough for Chevy to continue to produce and improve them.

modern semi-automatic shifting performs so absurdly better than a clutch and manual shift that it would be stupid to even consider putting anything else in an expensive sports car. F1 is a mostly automated paddle shift at this point. It wouldn't spoil the fun for you because you'd be carrying so much more corner speed than you would trying your hardest with a clutch.

as always, Seth has a dumb opinion not based in reality. (edited)

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

By the way. Corvettes are now mid engine, with 8-speed dual clutch, paddle shifted transmission. But the tranny can be put in auto mode, so...

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

> Seth B Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I believe both exist because of incompetent riders/drivers. Beyond

> that,

>

> > I see no other purpose, other than a disability or laziness.

>

> >

>

> > It amazes me how you are totally incapable of seeing differing

>

> > preferences. That would be like me calling my wife lazy for not liking

>

> > to ride motorcycles... or her calling me a moron for not wanting to

>

> > spend the day sipping wine and starring at art. People enjoy different

>

> > things for different reasons...

>

> >

>

> > Its like sports cars... I cant understand why anyone would want a

>

> > automatic transmission in a corvette but apparently people do... from

>

> > what i hear you cant even buy a brand new one from Chevy anymore in a

>

> > manual option. So while that would somewhat spoil the fun for me,

>

> > apparently people do still enjoy the cars in automatic and they sell

>

> > well enough for Chevy to continue to produce and improve them.

>

> Others can have their opinions & preferences. I have mine, and stand by

> them.

Have you not noticed.....you are not allowed to have any difference in opinion on this site or you are constantly brow beat until you submit to their way of thinking..... i am like you ....i have my opinions and stick by them.. (edited)

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

Pushrod Fifty /

The newly released KTM200 Duke would be a blast and they arent that much new, 4k I believe, and looks awesome. Suzuki TX250 also, easy to shift and very forgiving if you didnt hit the right gear for the situation. Honda CB300 or any single, there are quite a few available nowadays. Not automatics but alot more fun and easier on the eyes than a plastic scooter. Old CB or CM are great if you can wrench good.

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

Rick Bergsma /

See if you can find a reasonably priced Honda SH150 . They're pretty nice looking and have large wheels too .

2010 Honda SH150.jpg

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

Come on man just do it. How could you not want another one if you have already had a taste., haha

20200526_193554.jpg

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

Aside from both being automatic, those two have nothing in common. There's a lot of nice maxi scooters out there and lots of nice auto motorcycles now too. I don't think I could live with a maxi scooter, even my aero80 (it's for sale cheap if you're interested) is too dumb and cumbersome to move around the garage without crashing into everything.

The nc700x is really really good. I did a little bit of demo riding on some of the new automatics and that one was the clear winner. Great ergonomics and the transmission was very predictable and smart.

I just bought a new KTM 390 adventure and I love it, but you could buy 4 or 5 helixes for the same price.

Re: Helix or CM 400/750A?

...Come to the Dark Side. Join the Lazy and Disabled because nothing is worth riding if you can't shift it...Oh wait this is a Moped forum? Ah dammit..

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account