Things got steamy today

It was a very nice day for a ride. I did some miles and the cold air condensed some water on the lenses.

It barely started to clear on the tach as I got home.

Did some Googling and didn’t find anything that sounded like a workable solution. I like the idea of making some small vent holes and then keeping the insides lubed up.

Anyone here find a way to keep their old gauges clear and dry on old bikes?

My garage is always humid. I know that has a lot to do with it. But I can’t do much about that here. Besides opening the doors on nice days to vent it. German winters are very wet. (edited)

67C316FA-F658-4DB2-ACE8-62954F0C8B22.jpeg

Re: Things got steamy today

When I lived in Indiana I use to put a sheet of thick plastic down and park the bike on that. Do you keep it covered? It may be trapping moisture. If the relative humidity is the issue idk if there is anything you could do. You could try a vent hole ahead it up with a hairdryer to remove the moisture.

I was thinking of a hole, or holes, placed in such a way as to not bring in rain and stuff, but allow crossflow of air while at speed.

Maybe I’m worrying about this and it isn’t hurting too much? The stuff all works now and I’d like to keep it that way.

I also considered putting a bag of desiccant packs around the gauges and sealing it up somehow.

The moisture would be back so quick though.

Park it in a bowl of rice.

Fill the gauges with rice.

Study the design, maybe there is a vent that has been plugged over time? Hard to believe BMW did not address that detail?

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Study the design, maybe there is a vent that has been plugged over time?

> Hard to believe BMW did not address that detail?

Hard to believe that both would be plugged if there were vents. It happens on old bikes. It happened on a 72 Honda 500 that i had in the early 80s.

Unless there was one vent for both... I have never seen this issue. It is clearly real, not doubting the man, but makes me wonder is all.

Just convert them to liquid filled gauges by filling with glycerin.

Easier to take them apart, clean and inspect gasketing, and see how the design was supposed to work. BMW is too high end, on motorcycles anyway, f the cars, to allow this, something wore out.

It is a 40 year old bike. If there are seals in there, they could be bad. And I bet way more money to replace than I want to spend right now. Or risk breaking the things opening them up.

I don’t think rice will help because I didn’t drop my motorcycle in the toilet. 😉

Just one more way this bike is going to be an overly needy time-suck. If any of you ever get the idea to buy an old BMW. Do so with the mindset of it being an expensive novelty.

Wrap an electric heating pad around the gauge cluster and secure it there. Turn it on and wait a day or so...

> Ross Maser Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Wrap an electric heating pad around the gauge cluster and secure it

> there. Turn it on and wait a day or so...

Also a hair dryer will work

thanks for the replies. I got a little sidetracked on my reed intake project.

I think I am gonna go for it and just take the gauges off and open them up. Just to be certain they are not rustin up inside. Get some corrosion inhibitor in there, and put new seals on them.

Driving the moisture out with heat probably works well enough. I ride a lot and in all weather, so I need to get a permanent fix.

Proper seals are €€€. Hope to come up with a practical solution that isn’t to spensive.

Before you spend $, be sure it isn't as simple as the rubber light bulb sockets being old and hard/split.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account