Cool old shop sitting

So my shop is so dirty and shitty but I always enjoy sitting on old school shit. I have a good colection of vintage seating and the nice stuff my old lady wont let me have and is in the house, haha.

20201130_205230.jpg
20201130_205353.jpg
20201130_205329.jpg

Re: Cool old shop sitting

The first one is my favorite. Love the old horse hair

They don't make shit like this anymore. Fully adjustable. I have a bunch of other stuff. Some old movie theater seats. All cast iron. So fun.

Rad

20201130_211409.jpg

That green step-stool chair is exactly like the one that sat next to the cast iron enamel sink in my grandma’s kitchen.

Her chair was yellow.

I remember waking up early in the morning with her. She would be lighting her chain smoked cigarettes off the gas burner of the stove as she made me old fashioned oats and cinnamon sugar toast.

I just leaned on the sink edge and watched as she cooked. In the basin, there was a compost bucket of potato peelings and onion skins from the fried taters she was prepping for supper. Across from that seat was the refrigerator, with its decades of magnets and pictures. I remeber Popeye characters and fruit. Small frames with iconic photos from members of the family I knew and some I had never met.

I was an annoyingly inquisitive little kid. Asking non-stop questions about how she knew how long to cook the oats or how much milk and butter to add. Stuff like that. She was a cantankerous old lady who answered in sarcastic and impatient seeming phrases. But, it was familiar and acceptable to me. She loved me and I knew that even if her style was coarse.

I also love old furniture. The broken-in feel. The nostalgia of something that has been through so much and has character and scars to show for it. Your ass isn’t sitting on some lame last year plastic crap, it’s sitting on a legend.

She also had a porch glider sofa thing. Build Like a 1950’s car. It had huge metal arms with flip up, chrome ash trays. Thick vinyl covered cushions. I miss that stuff.

Thanks for making me take a trip down memory lane and hope others have some fond memories too.

> Satan 666 Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> They don't make shit like this anymore. Fully adjustable. I have a bunch

> of other stuff. Some old movie theater seats. All cast iron. So fun.

I mean, while cool they aint making 4 legged rolling chairs anymore for good reason.

> Aaron Goldman Wrote:

> > Satan 666 Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > They don't make shit like this anymore. Fully adjustable. I have a

> bunch

>

> > of other stuff. Some old movie theater seats. All cast iron. So fun.

>

> I mean, while cool they aint making 4 legged rolling chairs anymore for

> good reason.

Why is that?

That vise stand is pretty cool too.

I sit a lot. I've smoked pipes since highschool to varying degrees, periods where it was daily, others where I didn't smoke for months, but now days I enjoy smoking on Tuesdays which since kid is the one evening a week I get all to myself. Anyhow it often happens I get overwhelmed or waiting on parts, stuck however and I just have a good sit haha. It'd be great to have a nice shop seat. I'd say between upside down milk crates, the propped up lift, or random floor roller stools it's most often i'm lounging up on the chair on the back of the ol tomos trike abomination

tomotrike.JPG

> Saabsonettguy . Wrote:

> That vise stand is pretty cool too.

Was on the side of the road for free. Funny or is the same color as my vice. My girl tried to use it on the deck for a table but I stole it back, haha

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

My 4 legged friend at work. Better than your typical automotive creeper seat.

If i spend any length of time with a vehicle all the way up on my lift, where i’m under it, arching my back reaching up with my arms, my L4/L5 bungling disc gets angry. I can set the lift at 1/2 height and roll around on this thing all day under a vehicle without issue. I have few of these old office chairs in my garage at home too. All saved from the curb.

9BA384F1-D4B8-4F6F-8A51-9B9905E7338D.jpeg

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I have a 1935 Bethlehem steel office chair designed by the Perry guy who designed the first stackable seating it folds into a table or stool the back flips up making a backed chair perfect for a trike.

Hmmm. Sounds cool but the picture isn’t loading.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

As a shop table is solid .5 steel square tube frame. H config w/ 90 degree dogleg hinge

20200413_2135572.jpg

> Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

> Hmmm. Sounds cool but the picture isn’t loading.

Slew has to develop the film first and then scan and email, duh

Not furniture but the stand was from an old resteraunt table. Got a shit ton of them for free. Filled my trailer with them. Just got this old foley grinder for $20. Nice thing about it is that it is belt driven. Thing dont slow down when you lay into it.

20201204_145056.jpg

punkrock randy /

Old ass glider, i love old metal shit.

CAB554C4-3784-459A-B2CD-716FEC478268.jpeg

Does not look that old?...but it is nice!

punkrock randy /

Old rusted through look😎. It’s actual old tho (edited)

E19BB8EC-EEB8-4F99-930E-E0875B171103.jpeg
image.jpg

punkrock randy /

https://www.midcenturymetalchairs.com/bunting

There we go, did my homework 👍🏼 50’s ish, matches the age of our house 😉

Nice, lets see something made today last that long! :)

The stool usually resides in front of my drill press to bring my eyes closer to my work when I’m doing precise drilling. It has a cool adjustment mechanism. Stand on the base and pull up on the seat all the way to release the height lock. Let it down all the way, sit on it to reactivate the lock, then lift seat to desired height.

3E541B2A-943E-47E5-9B9A-F9CC644B9B76.jpeg
5272591E-D24B-40CF-A1B3-D93B399FE83C.jpeg

> Satan 666 Wrote:

> > Aaron Goldman Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > > Satan 666 Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > They don't make shit like this anymore. Fully adjustable. I have a

>

> > bunch

>

> >

>

> > > of other stuff. Some old movie theater seats. All cast iron. So fun.

>

> >

>

> > I mean, while cool they aint making 4 legged rolling chairs anymore

> for

>

> > good reason.

>

> Why is that?

They flip

^ I get the logic, but i’ve never flipped the 3 i have, and believe me, i lean back on them often.

> Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

> ^ I get the logic, but i’ve never flipped the 3 i have, and believe me,

> i lean back on them often.

Yeah I have spent plenty a drunken night in one of these and never rolled one over.

Man I've been sleeping on this thread, or, sitting? I have 2 awesome old chairs, I just took a picture of this one because I'm sitting in it.

IMG_20201215_222636.jpg

This thing is pretty old and it's made beautiful, I don't know where they originally from but I think they were made custom for a theatre or courtroom or something.... Anyhow, story goes, there is this restaurant in Milwaukee called cafe Lulu, it's like one of my favorite joints.

When I first started going there they had these chairs with this beautiful green leather upholstery. after a couple years the old leather deteriorated and the cafe had all of them recovered and it really broke my heart, but you're running a restaurant you got to do what you got to do and it was cool that at least they saved the heavy duty old oak frames.

So a couple years later a person across the street from me had a dumpster and they were cleaning out a house that looked like an old person had lived in it for years and it was a bunch of junk but sitting on top of that junk was this chair the exact same chair from the restaurant and the leather was actually in pretty good shape. I've dragged it around the country with me for almost 10 years and I absolutely love it but the dry rotted leather is definitely starting to go. It's my office desk chair now.

Been cleaning the garage and the wife has. Even cleaning her craft room. I found the main parts of the chair and she had the cushion and springs and stuff in her room. She had the material all cut and ready so she sewed it up and we put her together. Been a 10 year project I guess, haha. It's super comfy.

20201228_134709.jpg

I got a bucket of casters I have been putting on everything so may put some on this. Bucket was full. Got it at a yard sale for $5

16091815135488442674770848334306.jpg

punkrock randy /

Heavy duty casters are always worth having around. And that’s an awesome seat cushion.👍🏼

Yeah they came from the old navy base that used to be here. Way nicer than what you buy now.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account