How George Washington proclaimed Thanksgiving.

All you who've been told the Founding Fathers weren't that religious........................

here is history.

“Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor — and whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me ‘to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness.’

“Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be — That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks — for his kind care and protection of the People of this Country previous to their becoming a Nation — for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of his Providence which we experienced in the tranquility [sic], union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed — for the peaceable and rational manner, in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted — for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed; and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us.

“And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions — to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually — to render our national government a blessing to all the people, by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed — to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have shewn [sic] kindness onto us) and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord — To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the encrease [sic] of science among them and us — and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best. Given under my hand at the City of New York the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789. George Washington.”

Re: How George Washington proclaimed Thanksgiving.

Here's the part that might come as a surprise, nobody cares.

Oh,yes. Many many care about you Bozos and trying to undermine religious rights.

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Oh,yes. Many many care about you Bozos and trying to undermine religious

> rights.

My religion beckons me to shit in any Christian person's home, uninvited. Don't you dare try to limit my freedom of religion

where'd you copy that from?

I wish I could be as stubbornly devout a follower of fairy tales as to copy and paste lengthy grabs of text to share with unrelated online communities who don't care about the content at all, and somehow have that help reinforce my illogical faith in utter nonsense

jk, no I don't

Why would anyone want to undermine religious rights? They benefit people of all religions or lack there of equally.

Or maybe the ol' hearing is going and you misheard someone criticize "The religious right".

> Thomas Smith Wrote:

> Why would anyone want to undermine religious rights? They benefit people

> of all religions or lack there of equally.

When people try to use religion as an excuse to infringe on other people's freedoms, ESPECIALLY in ways that have no immediate direct impact on them, (like gay marriage) it doesn't benefit anyone. There are other instances too, gay marriage is just an easy example

Spirituality is important. Religion is NOT!

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

That’s all fake news. Guess where he got the idea.... It was sam adams, 12 years before that.

https://uncoveringpa.com/york-pennsylvania-birthplace-of-thanksgiving

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> Spirituality is important. Religion is NOT!

Seconded

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I I think the government should just remove themselves from marriage all together. That way it would give no tax benefits whether married or not and it would allow anyone of legal age to marry whomever they wanted to. But I would also make it to where no one can be forced to marry two people so those two people will have to find another party to Merry them. Basically anybody can marry anyone they want so long as I don’t infringe upon anyone else right to do it

I'm talking about the first amendment, particularly the freedom of religion and separation of church and state parts. We're basically making the same argument.

> Nick MBC Wrote:

> > Thomas Smith Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Why would anyone want to undermine religious rights? They benefit

> people

>

> > of all religions or lack there of equally.

>

> When people try to use religion as an excuse to infringe on other

> people's freedoms, ESPECIALLY in ways that have no immediate direct

> impact on them, (like gay marriage) it doesn't benefit anyone. There are

> other instances too, gay marriage is just an easy example

Dirty30 Dillon /

Fuck this out-dated Manifest Destiny bullshit.

You are free to pray and worship as you see fit, but believing in God doesn't mean you have to agree with what any faithful person in history has done.

We stole the fucking land from the First Nations and killed them. It's literally the most un-Christian thing I can imagine.

^ right? Funny how that is down played....humans are inherently greedy and violent....and we act like we are so evolved. The Indian's were not a peaceful bunch either, some horrible wars between tribes.

Piss up a rope, Don.

The kind of “christians” that stole this country from the natives and massacred them almost completely out of existence, did so in the name of God and were super happy about the provision of their lord. It was huge.

Both in a rich land and victory over un-christian savages.

Religion has always been used as an excuse to commit the most wicked crimes and a tool to teach some great philosophy. Some of us have learned how to seperate the good from the bad. Truth from fairy tale.

Humans do have a spritual side. But it is a function of our level of cognition, not a magical ghost inside us.

I don’t fault the people of the past for not knowing better and being pawns for the atrocities done in the name of religion. But, there is no excuse for it now.

Those mayflower pilgrim fuckers we're cunts who fled Europe because they didn't have the right to religious persecution here. The fled because Europe wasn't as fundamentalist as they'd like. How great would the world have been if that shithead filled boat sank.

28456991b65f239f920d0128b218b936.png

punkrock randy /

> Thomas Smith Wrote:

> Why would anyone want to undermine religious rights? They benefit people

> of all religions or lack there of equally.

That last bit is the part =Dickhole=D~~on doesn’t like. He hates other religions. ONE nation under god.

That whole idea is the problem with religion, and proof that the majority are nothing more than control mechanisms, and money grabs, if it were "real" they would all be on the same side, there would not be different types of religion that put the other types down. Only one that makes any sense at all to me is Buddhism.

punkrock randy /

punkrock randy /

Fuck YouTube. And George Washington was a dick.

> Thomas Smith Wrote:

> Or maybe the ol' hearing is going and you misheard someone criticize

> "The religious right".

Or may be you don't hear the religious RIGHT at all. LOL!

I quite like parts of Shinto, the reverence of natural things, not so much an organised religion but a way of doing things. I like how a massive tree or great waterfall can be considered as having a spirit that should be respected and cared for, and if there is someone on a cloud looking down I don't think they would mind people trying to look after and respect the natural world.

As for standard organised religions, it seems there is more time spent on distancing than seeing the commonality, buddhism teaches karma and yet my grandmother (Christian) used to say "cast your bread across the water and you never know in what form it may come back"

A celebratory harvest festival had been part of the fabric of British society since pre-Christian times, when Saxons would come together every autumn to eat supper, fashion symbolic straw dolls and sacrifice sheaves of corn.

In giving thanks for the harvest, the Pilgrims of 1621 were following the cultural norms they were accustomed to when they landed and started the invasion of North America.

May as well attribute George Washington to be behind the idea of night and day with fancy declaration with a "therefore" and a couple of "whereas" and what ever else for the white People of the United States (but only the Anglicans)...

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> All you who've been told the Founding Fathers weren't that

> religious........................

>

> here is propaganda.

>

> ...blah blah blah...

> George Washington.”

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account