Burn your heat!

Anyone here use a wood stove or pellet stove for their home heat? Or a portion of their home heat?

Wife and I are buying a house that has a wood stove and I'm eagerly awaiting the time where we can move in and make use of it.

We are pitching back and forth the idea of switching it over to a pellet stove but that comes with a $5,000 price tag.

Re: Burn your heat!

> Aaron Goldman Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Anyone here use a wood stove or pellet stove for their home heat? Or a

> portion of their home heat?

>

> Wife and I are buying a house that has a wood stove and I'm eagerly

> awaiting the time where we can move in and make use of it.

>

> We are pitching back and forth the idea of switching it over to a pellet

> stove but that comes with a $5,000 price tag.

To me.nothing beats the warmth.of a wood heater.....never.used pellets but i hear they are nice with pros and cons as usual.

Woods dirty and can be labor intensive. And if you're going for that roaring fire Hallmark Card ambience kinda thing then it usually sucks the warm air out of the rest of the house.

Pellets are cleaner and usually refill themselves with a hopper on a timer. You don't get the open hearth crackling and popping but it's a hell of a lot easier and imo radiates heat as opposed to having to be near the fire to enjoy it.

> Potr zebie Wrote:

> Woods dirty and can be labor intensive. And if you're going for that

> roaring fire Hallmark Card ambience kinda thing then it usually sucks

> the warm air out of the rest of the house.

>

> Pellets are cleaner and usually refill themselves with a hopper on a

> timer. You don't get the open hearth crackling and popping but it's a

> hell of a lot easier and imo radiates heat as opposed to having to be

> near the fire to enjoy it.

We will definitely need some ceiling fans around the first floor to pull the wood stove heat through the house.

The mess wood makes is certainly of concern. I'm happy to do some extra work stacking and loading it but the wife and I can barely keep up with cleaning in the smaller house. Now add a bigger house that has bark chunks and wood pieces getting dumped inside, as well as the dust it adds to the air.

The whole house has propane but we want to reduce heating costs using a stove.

I used nothing but a wood stove for heat for years. Do yourself, and the world, a favor and get an advanced combustion or catalytic stove.

I had a well made modern stove, with a pretty glass door, that could heat my house all winter with 3 cords of wood. My dad had an old fashioned stove that blased through 10 cords. thats a lot of work, money, and trees to waste.

make sure you have a gas/electric furnace for backup. you dont want your pipes to burst if you leave for a weekend or have to get up all night long. I’ve never had a load of logs last more than 4 hours and its really only heating for 2 hours. but it will hold hot coals for longer so its easy to get going again.

It is amazing heat. It warms you to your core. Theres a satisfaction in doing it and it is a wonderful emergency item to have for a power outage.

Modern wood stoves are incredibly efficient. Pellet stoves are too. I think you may get more BTU’s for your $$ with wood, depending on what type of wood is available near you, and if you buy it or cut it yourself.

I would personally prefer a wood stove over any other heat source, except my back is ruined so I can’t cut my own. It’s expensive to buy by the cord.

Growing up, before stoves we’re efficient, we would go through around 10-11 cord every winter, and I was lucky enough to cut, split by hand, and stack it all in the shed every year.

Ya wanna turn into a badass, ripped mofo? Start bustin wood. Builds muscle and character. Two things missing from today’s <30 crowd.

> Seth B Wrote:

> Modern wood stoves are incredibly efficient. Pellet stoves are too. I

> think you may get more BTU’s for your $$ with wood, depending on what

> type of wood is available near you, and if you buy it or cut it

> yourself.

>

> I would personally prefer a wood stove over any other heat source,

> except my back is ruined so I can’t cut my own. It’s expensive to buy by

> the cord.

>

> Growing up, before stoves we’re efficient, we would go through around

> 10-11 cord every winter, and I was lucky enough to cut, split by hand,

> and stack it all in the shed every year.

>

> Ya wanna turn into a badass, ripped mofo? Start bustin wood. Builds

> muscle and character. Two things missing from today’s <30 crowd.

Fortunately in my area you can get a cord of wood for $200 if you plan accordingly. UNfortunately the house we bought is on .46acres so I wont be harvesting my own wood, though maybe I can talk to some tree removal companies to take their removed trees.

Definitely know what you mean about the work; I'm a hobbyist blacksmith and certainly get a workout from swinging the hammer all day.

my wife hates smoke. it's a pretty minor gripe but bums me out sometimes. No campfires or hearth fires or woodstoves etc.

But also totally fine to do without.

Pellets are cool, the chemistry on the high efficient ones are pretty neat where you're actually gasifying it and combusting the volatiles, very good mixing and efficiency and much cleaner exhaust and far lower maintenance. but I guess it is more moving parts and you cant go out and gather up a trailer full of pellets in the back 40

I grew up on a 1800's era water powered sawmill, we used to haul logs and saw em on the giant old blades for the woodstove, it was definitely pretty fun. probably lucky we didn't ruin ourselves - safety was not first.

haha holy shit I hadn't actually seen that video til now, but if anyone wants to know where I grew up (and who with) that video captures my youth preeeeetttttty well

and yep, that's my dad, he's the best dude maybe ever

Damn! How freaking cool is that video! And you grew up there, that’s fantastic.

Yet again proves why I love NH so much!

Pellet stoves are pretty nice if you buy a good one. I live in maine and it gets pretty cold here. I have seen many a friend buy a pellet stove and have it malfunction and leave them out in the cold. The hopper motor can stop working and you got nothing! Also they can be very finicky about the pellets they burn? Some will burn up real quick and dirty and cause problems. They also do require alot of vacuuming and cleaning for them to work well. I was going to buy one years ago but after seeing some of the shit people have gone through with them I would stick with propane or if you have the time and know how do some nice hardwood heat. You can buy a rinnai heater for fairly cheap and never have to worry.

I have an airtight wood stove ( Canadian 1985 model ) that has made this ancient, uninsulated Texas farmhouse livable in the winter. There's no smoke, and since it's airtight it continues to give off heat for at least 6 -8 hours after the fire goes out, without pulling all the warm air out. The firebrick inside and the heavy Canadian steel gets hot and stays that way. To avoid wasting all the hot air sitting at the ceiling above the stove, I had my stove guy cut a hole in the ceiling in the corner of the giant kitchen (on the north side of the house ) and in the living room and Hereford Room ( den ) and I got register boxes and 8" insulated flexible ductwork and installed a booster fan up there in the attic in the ductwork and wired it to a switch on the wall by the stove and VOILA !! instant free central heat. Some friends gave me the stove and I own a farm and have a lot of dead fall and a lot of mesquite to cut down. That wood stove saves me a few hundred bucks every winter. Since I have access to free wood I would never want a pellet stove. Just someone else to pay for heat.

Another HUGE plus to having a wood stove is that you can open the door and cook a danged hot dog in your pjs if you wanna anytime you wanna. It's the answer for these old Texas farm houses with single wall construction. I cut my own wood and like the old saying goes, "Firewood warms you twice." My splitter is a manual hydraulic from Northern Tool. As in manual. Two long handles.

I did have a group of friends in high school, no offense to them but they were kinda your typical popular girls. basic normies, but also great girls, still friends today - just more into the material than I ever was. but theyd always complain if they came over to my house about smelling like "campfire hot dogs".

Pushrod Fifty /

Our house came with a sweet wood stove, it heats the house well, is quiet (forced hot air is noisy), and the heat migrates to the laundry hall which is alongside the garage, so my garage stays pretty warm for working in there. Since we are constantly cutting trees to maintain the property, I think we can sustain for 3 years from the cutting. A buddy gave me a cord from his storm cleanup, and I brought 2 cords last year, so I have enough leftover stacked wood for this year.

20201002_151733.jpg

Dirty30 Dillon /

Lived with both wood fire and pellet. The wood fire's max output is obviously much higher, and you can source it from your own property if you plan properly, but it is messier.

IF you;re going to go pellets, buy a quality stove and you will be happy. Little to no radiant heat from the stove, but most of the nice ones have really efficient blowers.

Honestly, if it's a secondary heat, I would go wood stove, just because the propane will keep the chill out of the house and the stove can be run when you need/want

I like the dual feed gasification stoves as an option too

When I lived in Kentucky a few years ago, I had a wood or coal stove in my house. When it would get really cold, I’d throw a lump or two of coal on the fire. Man, would that ever increase the BTU’s over burning oak or hickory. It would get so hot in the living room that I’d have to open the front door. -15 outside, and 90* in my house. Nothing beats burning dead dinosaurs for BTU’s.

Not exactly “enviro-friendly”, in some ppls eyes but it sure is good heat!

I love smelling like camp fire hot dogs. It's like the fragrance of Coppertone - It's the aroma of fun.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account