Why don't people drive with the windows down anymore?

Really, why not? poor air quality? IDK, I love the wind in my face and what's left of my hair, we ride mopeds, scooters and motorcycles, why do we seal ourselves inside our cars? I have the glass open as often as I can, only using ac in extreme humidity, and the heat when it is below 40 degrees f outside, discuss?

Re: Why don't people drive with the windows down anymore?

That's why I got the Convertible out today...............windy riding.

Overpriced Parts /

Better mpg with windows up and many newer cars make a like booming sound when rear windows are opened.

My 2003 Astro van don’t make booming noise like our cars do but a loud hissing sound when the rear slider’s are open and very loud woosh when the flip open sliding door window is open.

The two front windows are fine but I used to have the windows open a lot more when I had wing windows in my vans and cars,

The last car I had that had wing windows was an early 80s Ford country Squire station wagon And the last vans with wing windows were a 1993 and 94 chevy g20 conversion van fraternal twins the wife and I had.

Hers was gray with blue trim and mine was blue with gray trim, we kept them until around 2008 before I got the Astro,

Man I miss loading the family up coming back from swimming/water parks in summer with windows open on them things, our hair/bodies would be completely dry in minutes,

I was thinking of looking for a mint low mileage conversion van but the nearby theme parks and waterparks like the vans are gone and 2 of our 3 are married and gone and who knows how long before we will be empty-nesters so no need for a big family truckster

Dirty30 Dillon /

There's also this airborne, deadly virus going around too... Maybe you've seen it on the news?

punkrock randy /

Makes shitty headliners fall down earlier. Just got my back windows working again, goddamned regulators. I like windows down tho

That “one window down noise” is horrible.

I always have my windows down. I like the breeze. I like fresh air. I hate car smell. You can hear better what’s going on (situational awareness for safety). Smell the honeysuckle in the springtime.

I like the windows up on the highway, that can be a little too loud on a long trip.

I VERY MUCH miss the little vent wing window that old cars had. I’m my lifetime, I had an old Silverado that had them and my VW. Those little things put a lot of cool air on you. The Silverado also had foot vents. If you remember those? You pulled the knob and a flap opened in the firewall.

It was nice breathing all that fresh air instead of poisoning your body with a mixture of fire retardant, glue fumes, foam and plastic off-gassing god only knows what.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Number one answer-

Cars have air conditioning now.

I keep my cracked open cause I smoke.

My 75 Honda Civic, (my first car) had no AC, and the rear windows had the little pop out hinges, so it had awesome airflow, and I always had the windows down.

My 96 Impala SS had ice cold air, but still had great airflow with the fronts down and the back ones cracked.

My 65 caddy coup de ville was a convertible. Nuff said.

My current 2002 civic, if you roll both fronts down, anything light will blow out the window, the air circulates, and by that I mean it blows in a circle. I smoke, so ashes just whirlwind around inside of it.

But I do roll my side down all the time.

Windows down and the vent windows open for major air blast...

ventwindow.jpg

> Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Number one answer-

>

> Cars have air conditioning now.

I think that's it. The heat soak from the engine means the car is never that cool inside during even mildly hot weather.

Also, NOISE.... driving down the highway with the windows down makes for a loud nascar like experience, the whine of the tires is loud like a fucking banshee. Especially when around other cars.

I'm not too removed from the shitmobiles of my youth, I remember how much it fucking sucked.

It was the motivation for my learning of automotive hvac systems... I may not even be the best, but "good enough" to make the systems function again.

Hell yeah Rebel.

And if you had vinyl seats with those wood bead seat covers, it was better than A/C

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> There's also this airborne, deadly virus going around too... Maybe

> you've seen it on the news?

You have to be around people to get it, don't wear a mask in the car, will not, and have the windows wide open.

> Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

> Number one answer-

>

> Cars have air conditioning now.

But you don't need it most of the time, are we so used to being climate controlled that a car ride needs to be too?

punkrock randy /

Number two answer-

Drooping headliners make me wanna murder. I had an 89 subaru wagon, I guarantee it’s headlining looks the same now as when I owned it 20 years ago. Their design was best. Glad that my work van and FJ have cold ass AC since passat and ‘81 pickup are a no go.

> Roff Junior Wrote:

> > Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Number one answer-

>

> >

>

> > Cars have air conditioning now.

>

> I think that's it. The heat soak from the engine means the car is never

> that cool inside during even mildly hot weather.

>

> Also, NOISE.... driving down the highway with the windows down makes for

> a loud nascar like experience, the whine of the tires is loud like a

> fucking banshee. Especially when around other cars.

>

> I'm not too removed from the shitmobiles of my youth, I remember how

> much it fucking sucked.

>

> It was the motivation for my learning of automotive hvac systems... I

> may not even be the best, but "good enough" to make the systems function

> again.

Hmmm, I LIKE road noise?

The only headliners I see falling are old GM, like from the '70's old, had no idea having the windows open contributed to that?

You are definitely the exception with the road noise liking.

Also, my mid 90s oldsmobile has it, but that car is disposable to me so I just spiral tacked it back up.

Still the vent windows are a nice feature. It is annoying that my olds has faux vent windows, just another piece of glass to break for no functional reason at all.

Do you think the headliners coming down is due to the windows being open, or cheap glue vs. the old school type with the rods and such? Road noise is vital to keeping you awake and in tune with what you are doing, DRIVING, not checking your fucking email and texting like you were in your living room. I hate being "sealed" up in a car, would love to have another convertible, that's driving. :)

If it is sunny and below 90 and above 50 the top comes off my Corvette every time I drive it.....but I roll the window up at stoplights caus of all the panhandlers with no masks.....but it really doesn’t help. Just keeps them from sticking their head in the car.

Man, that's a bad homeless issue! Some one stuck their head in my car, it would be the LAST place they stuck it. Ours stay on the curb unless waved over...

Jeremy Homser /

When i got my 91 GMC Sierra pickup the headliner was fine. But after a year of me driving it with both windows down all the time it has completely failed and touches my head while I drive. I know the PO and he told me he never drove it with the windows down. He only used it to drive around early in the morning when it was cold to check his coin op car wash and just ran the defroster. Im planning to pull it down and spray glue it back together.

Very interesting, never made that coreolation, but I always drive with the windows open and never had that issue?

Every time i see a car with the headliner failing, it's either an American or a British car. I think the problem lies more therein.

I think it is the adhesive we used exacerbated by excess humidity and the force of the wind that comes from driving with the windows down.

Also, I get the whole windows down thing. I do it once in awhile.

punkrock randy /

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> Very interesting, never made that coreolation, but I always drive with

> the windows open and never had that issue?

Living in hot and humid locations fuckin I miss MN constantly:‘-( (edited)

punkrock randy /

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> Every time i see a car with the headliner failing, it's either an

> American or a British car. I think the problem lies more therein.

My B5 Passat was assembled in Germany and sent over. Headliner is starting to come down around the edges. 20 years old now tho, and 332K miles. Hasn’t had AC for the decade I’ve owned it. But i see a lotta ‘90s and up American cars with droopy h-liners

> punkrock randy Wrote:

> > Stephen Keller Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Very interesting, never made that coreolation, but I always drive with

>

> > the windows open and never had that issue?

>

> Living in hot and humid locations fuckin I miss MN constantly:‘-(

I've been to misery, there is not enough money in the world to make me live there, humidity is insane, though we had a hell of a batch of it this july.....I hate it! The thought of it makes our winters almost tolerable! :)

> Jeremy Homser Wrote:

> When i got my 91 GMC Sierra pickup the headliner was fine. But after a

> year of me driving it with both windows down all the time it has

> completely failed and touches my head while I drive. I know the PO and

> he told me he never drove it with the windows down. He only used it to

> drive around early in the morning when it was cold to check his coin op

> car wash and just ran the defroster. Im planning to pull it down and

> spray glue it back together.

I had a 92 GMC s15 and the same thing happened I yanked it and scraped the old headliner off. Used fabric with spray glue to make a new headliner.

Now that I think about it, my late great s-10 did not have a headliner in it at all, never cared as it was a rat-rod beater....I think maybe leaving the windows up in the sun traps heat within and ruins the glue? My Tercel has the vinyl kind held in with rods and it is as new even though the car came from 'Vegas? The air intake duct under the hood has melted in a place it almost touches the hood, but the headliner is awesome. All the more reason to have the windows open! ;D

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account