Advertising, one of the greatest evils.....

So in going through my e-mail today, I got one from an auto-parts seller I use, the title was "the DANGERS of not changing your cabin air filter" oooooooooooo I had better go out and get one of those...what, wait a minute, none of my cars have one, and wait, my god, until recently none of them did....how have we all made it this far? We used to ride around with the windows open for god's sake....remember that? You never see that anymore, now everyone has a cabin air filter and a fucking mask on inside their car driving by themselves and they are worried.... fucking scared of our own shadows, by advertising for things that were not even real a few yrs ago. If you watch many commercials on TV you will note the fine print, "results are not typical, you should not expect these results" that fine print is license to steal from the blind, ignorant consuming mass that is our society, I thought that people did not pay any real attention to this crap, but they really do, this is why we are so dumb, if it's on a screen it must be true. Our society is garbage, and it is not really from politics, it is because of greed, we are either numbered as a consumer or a taker, which are you?

Re: Advertising, one of the greatest evils.....

punkrock randy /

Throw away society sucks. I’ve changed my passat cabin filter 1 time in 10 years. It wasn’t that dirty. I wonder if said people are also driving around on recirculate instead of fresh air too? Stupid that a lotta cars don’t let u choose that anymore. And when people drive new tightly sealed vehicles too long on a recirculate setting, they get drowsy from less oxygen. Read an article in one of the car mags a couple yrs back.

punkrock randy /

Sry, kinda got off subject. Fuck adverts!!

Don't care, my windows are down, unless it's snowing...lol. My "newest" car is a 2006, not sure if it has a cabin filter, and I'm damn sure not going looking for it. :)

> punkrock randy Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Sry, kinda got off subject. Fuck adverts!!

It's ok, that tag line in the e-mail just blew my mind, it would not be used if it did not work on the shepole. It applies to everything though.

I was demolishing a house built in 1950 and found a sort of time capsule in the insulation of the attic.

There were a couple books, Boy Scout manuals, a hand copied version of the Bible on wide ruled notebook paper, some magazines, and some newspapers.

I was amazed that the god awful stupid-ass advertising in the magazines back then were the exact same dumb shit as now. Diet pills, weight loss devices, kitchen gadgets, clothing and cosmetics to make women more attractive, get rich quick schemes, LEARN TO BE A LOCKSMITH (remember that crap).

Crap that promises beauty, wealth and happiness has been around since elixirs and snake oils.

I agree. Salesmen suck. If people weren’t so ignorant, it would never work. But, they are, so we have to keep listening to the barkers slinging their trash.

punkrock randy /

I had a water ingress issue at the cabin filter housing that i was in there correcting, and I figured, why not give a new one a go. I hate newer shit (lol Y2K passat) when you don’t have functional A/C. Sealed up tight enough that de fogging windows is nearly impossible at times.

punkrock randy /

I do like the disturbing fish hanging from crotch advert that this thread pulled up🤣

Set your VPN to random countries if you want to see entertaining interwebs ads.

> punkrock randy Wrote:

> I had a water ingress issue at the cabin filter housing that i was in

> there correcting, and I figured, why not give a new one a go. I hate

> newer shit (lol Y2K passat) when you don’t have functional A/C. Sealed

> up tight enough that de fogging windows is nearly impossible at times.

Would not have had that issue if the previously unheard of thing (cabin air filter) was not there, we create most of our own problems, and pay for the solutions, the world could truly benefit from a k.i.s.s. Keep it simple, stupid.

I'll post some pics of the cabin filters I pull out daily, fucking disgusting. The cabin filter does keep shit off the evaporator so it is helpful, I'd rather change a filter than the evaporator anyday.

Several customers come in saying "low airflow from ac" pull the filter that's blocking 90% of the airflow with hair and god knows what all.🤢

i wouldnt mind less of the burning oil smell, but that really means i should just fx the burning oil problem

Rick Bergsma /

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> So in going through my e-mail today, I got one from an auto-parts seller

> I use, the title was "the DANGERS of not changing your cabin air filter"

I got that same email today too , it was from parts geek and I've never even ordered from them .

Wierd isn't it? I do order from them....wonder if sky net pulled it from here cuz I mentioned it?

punkrock randy /

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> i wouldnt mind less of the burning oil smell, but that really means i

> should just fx the burning oil problem

Hey, we’re in the same boat on that one, lol!! Cursed VWs!!✊🏼

Oh, the wonderful Passat burned oil smell.

punkrock randy /

> Seth B Wrote:

> Oh, the wonderful Passat burned oil smell.

I wanna do the gaskets that leak but know my potentially ill functioning PCV may just push the new to leak too. Hard to put a shit ton into 332K mile ride. Still pretty solid tho

I opened this expecting it to be about political adds, up here in the sticks where airtime is cheap it's every goddamn add.

Cabin air filters are pretty cool, I never have cars nice enough to have them. I did just change the engine air filter in my truck, it was plugged!

IMG_20201005_151250.jpg

I always change them when I get a new (old) car because they are cheap and it's a nice 'just in case' I've never seen one where I actually think it made a difference.

Truck originally came from northern MN and it's a fleet truck so I think it might have been from a mine? That would explain the insane grey dust.

^ that's nasty!

On a bright note, the trump machine has pulled most of its TV ads from MN, as we know better here... :) Yay education! ;)

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> On a bright note, the trump machine has pulled most of its TV ads from

> MN, as we know better here... :) Yay education! ;)

LOL! Yer going red!

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> > Stephen Keller Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > On a bright note, the trump machine has pulled most of its TV ads from

>

> > MN, as we know better here... :) Yay education! ;)

>

> LOL! Yer going red!

Shut up Don. You haven't a clue as to where you're going, so I sincerely doubt you have any insight as to where anyone else is going.

Because of this post, I found out my 2002 civic has cabin filters.

Thanks!

Youtubed it, pulled mine out and they were filthy. Vacuumed them out, as well as all the other leaves and shit around the blower, and my AC works ten times better. Just in time for our next California heat wave.

I need to go check my vacuum cleaner filters...

Yeah just keeping dust off the evap coil keeps the car from smelling funky, I just wish they were always easy to get at, sometimes they are so buried it's not even worth it

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account