Re: winter garage heaters

Infrared propane. . Cleaner..cheaper ..safer

thank you

> Les B. Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Good one Bas, still electric.

Obviously electric is the best, but it isn't an option and Hank Hill is.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I have a big 175K btu kerosene torpedo heater that heats up my entire uninsulated pole barn in about 10-15 minutes. The only hitch is you have to have proper ventilation to remove the fumes or you’ll have deadly CO2 gas buildup. Just to be safe, I have CO2 detectors in my garage. (edited)

I have a 80k btu miller mobile home furnace. Works awsome. Cheap to buy. Just got to put a chimney through your roof or out the side and up.

Pushrod Fifty /

I use an oil filled electric space heater. Keeping it on all of the time maintains a decent working temp.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

How large of an area are you trying to heat, how cold does it get there, does it have aNy insulation, and what kind of time do you intend on spending in the garage?

I have a 5000w electric i use for instant heat that i can direct towards the area i’m working. It’s nice just to be able to flick a switch and not have to worry about fuel.

If i’m going to be out there for a few hours I’ll fire up the waste oil, because it kicks ass and is free.

Pushrod Fifty /

That looks a little sketchy.

Baine i cant make out a lot of whats going on but if something you made it looks really inovative

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Originally I experimented with the drip feed method using waste oil, which was very sketchy as it required constant Monitoring because it could easily run away.

Eventually I invested in a siphon nozzle that is typically used in a kerosene torpedo heater and it’s far more stable. Rather than using it in siphon mode are use a pressurized vessel so it maintains a constant oil feed. Running it through the potbelly I can go through about a gallon to a gallon and a half an hour or 150,000 to 250,000 BTU.

I also use it to fire my huge aluminum melting furnace, where I can crank it up to about 4 gallons an hour, or half a million BTU

It’ll melt an entire aluminum wheel in about 10 minutes.

I'll have to give you one..sounds like you have it going on...i used the drip for years but never thought of your way

Your still dripping, incontinent piggy fondler.

Three 500 watt halogen work lights, barn safe and heats anything in front of the light by radiant heat.

Also a sheet of that foam board insulation, cut large squares of it to kneel or sit on (lay on if under the tractor or truck work). Nice that you can stab tools into it for easy grabbing, and punch a couple of dents in it as a place to put fasteners so they dont get away from you. The get a bit melty if right up at the halogen light though, so keep a bit of distance.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account