The slant six engine bay...

slantsix.jpg

Look at how serviceable this configuration is. Cars and trucks don't have to be so difficult to fix, but nobody works on their own stuff so no one cares.

I remember reading a magazine article about an auto critic saying the vega engine looked like a tractor (Somehow this is a bad thing???).......granted the block/head should have been cast iron..

Why is simplicity seen as bad? Why is there no drive towards it? Maybe because there just isn't much thought put towards it........or those that do think are more interested in the performance??...... I think the common person would be better served by a simple design......they need it, their bank account needs it... but they don't even know that it would be good for them. maybe simple cars can even upset people...who knows.

I have a GM 3800 in a large engine bay.... it seems ok, but too much plastic crap that breaks, plus all the crappy electronics give me a hard time.... ecm/climate control system.....I bought it not running for $400... so can't complain I guess.. But I did have to pull a motor mount to change the water pump.. What nonsense.

I think I like the old checker cabs too... Chevrolet inline 6.. Turbo 400... Ford 9" Differential.. I want to say the quarterpanels bolt on too, idk... This stuff is all older than I am.

I took the previous generation GM 3800 car and upgraded the ignition system to the later multi coil set up, that was nicer but the transmissions were a bit weaker... I could take the Chrysler slant six and have parts machined to install custom fuel injection set up..... I think that is the way I want to go.... I'll just do my own thing and modify/upgrade older stuff.... That's my freedom and I am grateful for it!!

Re: The slant six engine bay...

my old galaxie was fucking rad for repairs

you could nearly fit completely under the hood, pack a lunch and spend the afternoon without ever having to come up for air

Old pick-ups were like that too, but nobody, well ok, only a minute portion of the people who own cars even know how they work anymore, much less work on them, so they are how they are now.

I hear stories of the cab needing to be removed as part of engine service, wiring underneath valve covers that fail, even worse electronics than my crappy 90s GM car..... and a mega price tag.........no thanks!!! I think a lot of the modern truck stuff has to do with keeping up with the joneses.

1/2 ton six cylinder pick up would be fine for most families.

I had to get a "new"pick-up as my 1981 model finally rusted to the point of being unsafe, engine still going strong however, carbed, no computer, turned in 31 on the highway (4spd stick, 4cyl engine). My "new" truck, 2006 gets 10mpg but it's a 3/4 ton v8, I can hardly recognize anything under the hood, can't even locate spark plugs....on the plus side has modern suspension and brakes, proper HVAC, and is safer, handles better and rides better. About the only thing I can even reach is the air-filter! I do not need such a big truck, it's really quite ridiculous, but I got a great deal on it, and it is not a daily driver, so I don't care about the mpg. Manufacturers don't want you fixing your own stuff, hardly anyone even tries these days, just take 'em in, help yourself to the tub of vaseline at the service counter, lube up and hand over the visa. (edited)

Well said

punkrock randy /

I love old auto simplicity. Like my ‘81 yota pu with a mechanical fuel pump and only one v belt turning the alternator and water pump:-) As soon as the weber is installed, we’ll have waaaayyy less vacuum lines too;-)

^ My '81 was the same way, (Courrier) like a lawnmower under the hood, did not have the vacuum line rats nest that stock Toyota and Honda had of that vintage. Too bad MN literally eats cars, or would still have it.

I had one, 2nd gear was out but it didn't seem to matter much because there weren't any hills. It finally did quit running, but I suspect sabotage. I lived in a cheap trailer park at the time and some hillbillys wanted it too much I think... Amazing how coveted these things are, mine was super crappy too, missing window and rust..

I sold it to them and bought a towncar and then a riviera, I ended up selling both of those cars for a few thousand dollars profit and no more sabotage....

That little Toyota truck was well built though.... lol, also there were no hills yet hillbillys.. haha.. When you get older you kind of stop and ponder and realize how weird life is sometimes I guess.

People dont want serviceability, they want comfort. The car is now just an appliance to the majority of people.

Like someone said, "they keep making the emblems bigger because all cars look the same".

Forgot to also mention that auto manufacturers are now more moving towards ride sharing bs. You can see this by the up trend in the services available and the roads being put up for hov where it isnt really needed. Soon you'll rent everything and own nothing.

Damn, that makes sense and is so wild sounding at the same time. I think you are right. Wow... all the old timers said it would all get different and then boom, it does.

^ If you couldn't see that coming I'm surprised.

Don't set the bar too high for me please. I am a self admitted idiot, most of the things I know are self taught and only dimly understood.

The other day my wife corrected me. It isn't "cest le vive" with cest sounding like crest without the r.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

‘70 ford maverick with straight 6 motor. I could practically stand in the engine compartment and work on the motor. I loved working on that car.

I wish they would make cars simple again. This is my flareside setup currently. 306 built with an aod. Runs great 300 horse, aod is meh.

I'm actually gonna rip it out soon because I'm swapping in a 4bt and nv4500. Itll be the little brother of my big truck with a 12 valve and nv4500/np205 t case. Putting down 650 currently.

Long live the obs.

20200911_185004.jpg

> Your Mother Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Don't set the bar too high for me please. I am a self admitted idiot,

> most of the things I know are self taught and only dimly understood.

>

> The other day my wife corrected me. It isn't "cest le vive" with cest

> sounding like crest without the r.

I'm not the most educated soul on the rock either, but I damn sure pay attention!

My brother is a ford lover. I see him do so much work all of the time on different fords. It's insane, at least to me. The other day he said he wants to buy a pickup and shows me 6 different color fords off FB market place. I say just get an old 350/350 setup, why make this complicated? I don't know........like I say I could be an idiot afterall..... but the flagship of my fleet does have a turbo 400. That's really my solution just have the best drivetrain and get a good deal on it. I don't even need a truck I have a big block Cadillac with a hitch and a 3800 when I need economy. I used to have a truck with a 350 and 4l60e.... I learned, haha.

My friend with a ford about a year ago tries testing the waters to see if I want to get involved with some sort of 3 chain ford motor nonsense.........

I thought just as a boxer ducks punches the proper car buyer ducks engine swaps, lol.

I also hear the NV manual transmissions are good but they're a gm/chrysler cross I think........also Ford and GM have teamed up and build a transmission I think....maybe they call it a gord, lol.

No wonder Tesla stocks go up. Things are just getting weird with the big 3 more than ever before. There is a limit of what people will tolerate and they seem hellbent on finding it. I think as bad as it sounds if I had to get a new vehicle maybe a Honda... at least there isn't much fraud going on and if there is maybe it would be better than it seems for instance maybe instead of the honda being built in Japan it would be built in the U.S., lol.....

Remember when people were getting upset about oldsmobile 307s in their Cadillacs? Wild ride its been.

The nv is new venture gearbox, you can put it in anything as the bell housing unbolts. Good transmission as long as you dont go dual disc clutch, too harsh on the gears, buddy went through 3 with an unsprung dual disc setup, also 5th gear nut can back off with big power trucks and tear shit up. Was gonna put a zf5 behind the 4bt but those transmissions dont shift as nice and have another set of problems plus the adapter kit was 2500 bucks!

Tesla is also subsidized by the government. I wouldn't own or technically you never really own a tesla, you just rent it for a fortune.

Yup, so is beef... it's all so weird..

> Your Mother Wrote:

> Yup, so is beef... it's all so weird..

Aaaaaaaahahahahahaha!!!!!

Glad I made your day.

> Potr zebie Wrote:

> > Your Mother Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Yup, so is beef... it's all so weird..

>

> Aaaaaaaahahahahahaha!!!!!

Time for our dose! cheers!!

here here!

> Your Mother Wrote:

> My brother is a ford lover. I see him do so much work all of the time on

> different fords. It's insane, at least to me. The other day he said he

> wants to buy a pickup and shows me 6 different color fords off FB market

> place. I say just get an old 350/350 setup, why make this complicated? I

> don't know........like I say I could be an idiot afterall..... but the

> flagship of my fleet does have a turbo 400. That's really my solution

> just have the best drivetrain and get a good deal on it. I don't even

> need a truck I have a big block Cadillac with a hitch and a 3800 when I

> need economy. I used to have a truck with a 350 and 4l60e.... I learned,

> haha.

Your brother is a really smart dude!

I had dreams of my brother building an airplane and killing me in a crash. .

He bought a bulldozer, it seems very dangerous how about you go hang out with him?

I kind of stay away from him. He used to let me use his v10 Ford but it was kind of crappy and had some weird problem where it wouldn't accept gas or the needle was off idk.... The last time I drove it I picked up a Yamaha XT500 and the Ford's rear end was smoking and horrible smelling....... that's kind of been my experience with ford trucks..... burning, smoking, breaking... etc.....another time, another ford truck when I saw the plastic fuel filter strip off and shower the engine I was literally scared the mix of Ford and aftermarket parts would kill me, luckily diesel is hard to ignite!

My father has a 1970 c30 in the back field/junkyard with an inline 6... the cab is rusted to pieces due to it being on the coast........I would trust it before some of those damn fords my brother had.

But I am mature and if Fords make people happy that's great. YOLO Drive the Ford if you have too!

My brother had another 7.3 with big Texas bullhorns on the hood.... it really looked like a bull when the a/c broke and it spewed a cloud of refrigerant....lol.... that truck succumbed to multiple transmission failures I think... it was as if the drivetrain was made of glass. .... meanwhile the old Cadillac I had in college ran on 5 cylinders and could burn out as long as you could afford tires and gas. My 2cents have been spent I think.

what kind of plane?

Something he built, an ultralight I think......

We used to ride our bicycles and scooters to this old guy's house who was a retired engineer and pilot....he was kind of crazy though, the great depression I think. He was a millionaire, he built his own house out of metal and brick kind of like a bunker..... he would remove tires himself to avoid the fee, ride a bicycle while picking up cans, and ended up destroying one of those inline 4 Iron duke motors..... instead of replacing that dying fuel pump he chose to drill a small hole in the air filter housing and give it a whiff of ether to start it eventually blowing the head gasket.

I think he also kept jars of piss in glass jars on his shelves and he had airplane parts and told us it is much better to fly than to ride scooters...... idk, My brother seems more likely to do it than me and a few nights I dreamed I flew with him and crashed, lol..

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account