It’s worse than I expected.

I told you all that MA is my only social media.

I haven’t been of FB for 12 years. But, I made a new account.

I know that the world, and specifically America, has gone batshit crazy over the years. But I didn’t expect my former friends and acquaintances to be this bad.

I’m in my mid 30’s. A lot of time has passed since I talked to my elementary, middle, high school peeps. Old coworkers. Whatever.

I went hog wild. Searching and friending everyone I could think of. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Oh my god, it is so much worse than I imagined.

The political BS. The consumerism (Advertising). The fake media banter. Stupid shit that would get blasted so hard here in the OT. It just goes unchallenged there. I guess FB etiquette doesn’t allow for that? Or people are just lame.

A guy I used to work with posts all this stuff about how ignorant democrats are. Then has a, no kidding, serious post questioning why, if the Earth is orbiting the sun so fast, we don’t feel the breeze? Speculating that the Ozone Bubble shields it. However, the moon doesn’t have an ozone and the flag placed there by astronauts only flapped a little.

Like, I had my head in the sand. I raised a family and worked. Kept away from the poison that has rotted these peoples’ minds.

All this optimistic talk I have been putting on MA has been terribly misguided.

Of course I have some friends that are still thinking for themselves. They are a small minority. I don’t know what to do with the crowd I have amassed of red and blue sheeple. Delete them all and move on? Leave them there and counter post all their nonsense. “Trolling for truth”.

A guy I work with now told me to just block all their stuff and ignore them if I want.

This has been a real eye opener. How can we ever recover from the depths of ignorance we are in now? The cave of shadows is so deep, a good intentioned person could spend a lifetime and never reach the bottom.

More than ever before, I treasure those of you here on MA that have guarded your minds from the manipulation and propaganda.

Re: It’s worse than I expected.

A guy I work with now told me to just block all their stuff and ignore them if I want.

This is how most people deal with nutjobs on Facebook, but most people have already had a decade of sifting through the dirt.

These days Facebook is just for the specific groups you signed on to, remembering concerts and birthdays, and marketplace.

I will say, facebook's algorithms promote traffic. thus only the loudest and most obnoxious voices get heard. what you wind up with is many sane people leaving facebook, and then a curated version of the most extreme of who's left. the people posting most are typically those thinking least. it paints an unrealistic and depressing picture. I don't think it's actually that bad tho

I'm glad others are going through this as well and have the balls to post it here to warn others!

I think my saving grace was being raised by a much older father who was archaic himself. The way people spend, the way they talk, the way they read, facebook.....man, nonsense!! The newspapers and news are at idiot levels, no more Walter Cronkite or big words used in papers!!! Just fear mongering, hatred, and more idiot stuff!

I am an idiot, but land of one eye and all that.... It's like a super power these days, just being able to gather news from several sources filter it out and keep calm and orderly.

I think idiocy, extreme bi partisanism, environmental issues, corona, and war threaten us.........but the idiocy is what makes it all so bad..... and it will not stop..... No one wants to read.......people hate reading.......they fucking hate it.........selling books doesn't make enough money..... hence idiots, hence facebook... (edited)

We can't recover from this, been saying this shit since fakebook came out, social media is a cancer on society, delete it all, and try and forget what you saw. Good luck though. Talk on the phone/email those you wish to remain in contact with, if they can't will not do that, f 'em. Fact is most people in this country are willfully ignorant, they don't want to think/take responsibility for anything, and social media panders to this, because it is all about YOU cupcake, you are special, you are right, you are important, things idiots never hear, because, they are idiots. The one that really kills me is that people think these platforms were created to make your life better, to help people, WRONG, they were created to make the creator money, plain and simple. Make sure to put a hat on, the worlds spinning fast, if that does not tell you what to do with this nothing will. DELETE, yesterday.

> Your Mother Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I'm glad others are going through this as well and have the balls to

> post it here to warn others!

>

> I think my saving grace was being raised by a much older father who was

> archaic himself. The way people spend, the way they talk, the way they

> read, facebook.....man, nonsense!! The newspapers and news are at idiot

> levels, no more Walter Cronkite or big words used in papers!!! Just fear

> mongering, hatred, and more idiot stuff!

>

> I am an idiot, but land of one eye and all that.... It's like a super

> power these days, just being able to gather news from several sources

> filter it out and keep calm and orderly.

>

> I think idiocy, extreme bi partisanism, environmental issues, corona,

> and war threaten us.........but the idiocy is what makes it all so

> bad..... and it will not stop..... No one wants to read.......people

> hate reading.......they fucking hate it.........selling books doesn't

> make enough money..... hence idiots, hence facebook...

^ All of this, yes.

I’m human, and humans are stupid. Our existence is a nano blip on this rock. I hear California burning is killing covid. Smells awesome here in Ohio...Was it a boy or a girl? I missed that part as I watched my idiot box being force feed garbage. mean people suck, and that is half the population. Thank she, he, and all that is, that I’m surrounding myself with good people....keeps me going....existing in this time, and space has been a long strange trip.

I'm on facebook with a fake name. I have 5 friends. I don't accept people I don't know and don't actually talk to in real life. I got on it a few years back because it was the only site posting pics of our motorized bicycle races.

I use it for the groups about stuff I'm interested in, which are usually really good. The classic 50cc racing group is great, with vintage race bikes from all over the world.

Sometimes I go all nostalgic and spy on my former friends and girlfriends I grew up with, but they never seem to be doing anything interesting. Mostly I just want to see what the hot chicks I used to know look like now.

I'm usually disappointed.

Marketplace is a pain in the ass, I don't need to see a ford econoline when I search mopeds. But sometimes cool things pop up.

I blew my wad in social media when myspace was big. I was a "top blogger," with thousands of comments per blog, and had an inflated sense of self-importance, while dragging other people for having an inflated sense of self-importance.

I've learned that social media is has it's place, and I can live with getting 50 likes on instagram from other people who like my pictures of stupid mopeds or whatever dumb shit I'm posting.

I try to go back to the "internet is a useful tool" mentality to find out stuff I didn't know, like the points gap on my Ducati Piuma, or how to replace the multiplex control unit fuse box on my car, instead of spending all night trying to figure out if Justin bieber is a reptilian and what's beyond the polar ice wall.

Thanks for the responses.

I guess what really shocked me was that these people are all folks that I was very close to, once upon a time.

So, I got nostalgic and wanted to rekindle the flame of old friendships. It’s like the majority of the world got a version of dementia. They don’t remember why, but they constantly repeat the same stuff.

I won’t spend a long time with it. If I can shape it with deleting and blocking to a issuable form, I’ll consider it. Maybe just get the people I enjoy talking to on WhatsApp and delete the FB.

Yeah I liked Myspace but when it fizzled and people started using Facebook I didn't continue with any of it. Dont realy watch alot of tv so I'm stuck in the 90s now.

Stephen you're much more optimistic than I am. To me it looks like things might at best get better then much worse..... Kind of like the Titanic sinking and the QE is the bilge pumps that somehow manages to flood the 3rd class compartments faster. . .

People are mesmerized by their phones and idiocy like the grand ballroom is now a rave and everyone has been given drugs and they won't stop partying.... and no one will help those trying to save everyone...... no, instead the smart people work quietly as not to be beaten by the idiots for trying to stop the party....

The watch has no hands..... the idiots dance to the bottom regardless of the circumstances I guess....... and Facebook is the ballroom.

I am connecting with family and trying to live a more meaningful life. I have been to operas, symphonies, concerts, driven many fine cars,went to many nice places, dated nice women, got married and have a great life...... It's the kids I worry about, and I am going to maybe save up and buy a switch and give it to an orphanage or build and provide cheap housing or something.

I am sick of everyone's bullshit and just want to do my part which will change over the years I imagine, If I'm lucky. (edited)

I also think all of the poor affected people in the future drowning so to speak will not go down quietly, all sorts of hell will be raised......maybe instead of drowning they will rise from the sea, they will spawn new heads like a hydra of sorts that will then start feasting on the sinking ship.........

IDK.... part of my also thinks that this country is incredibly strong and at times good.... there is a chance we rewrite how the economy works successfully and come back as a gold plated titanic.............I really, really,really hope that is the case, but then we have the environment to watch..

There is a Yiddish curse about "interesting times"...... these are interesting times.... and it is hard to watch as a benevolent person who wishes everyone well. (edited)

Jimmy Cincinnati /

These days Facebook is just for marketplace.

There Bas, i took out the extra filler you accidentally dropped in there.

Im 34 and when i want to know how someone is doing, i just call or text them. I briefly toyed with facebook over 10 years ago but thought it was lame then...

punkrock randy /

Lol, 38. Never got on FB and never will. I have peeked at past cuties on someone else’s FB, and like Bairdco, am mostly disappointed. And reminded of the aging process. So ya, fuck that shit.

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> These days Facebook is just for marketplace.

>

> There Bas, i took out the extra filler you accidentally dropped in

> there.

>

For me the concert reminders and the groups are most important. I go to a lot of concerts and a reminder in the week of the concert always comes in handy. I'm a member of lots of archaeology, music and moped groups, so that pretty much fills the timeline.

Marketplace sucks but i did score some cheap outboards on there this summer.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Marketplace sucks but i did score some cheap outboards on there this summer.

Only thing Ive ever purchased from Marketplace was a powerwheel for my son. Ive seen some stuff that are of interest but these days the hassle of meeting people up is just rarely worth it. So in short, marketplace seems like the go to place to find deals these days since craigslist blows.

I have to admit Market Place is legit, last year I scored a free Mercedes but the furthering of idiocy may be part of the price.

Oh. No.

gtfo of facebook asap

they completely own your data, likeness, and everything about your search history and even find out what kind of mood you're in.

Then they sell it. They sell YOU.

And you can't say a fucking word about it.

A robot boy who has LITERALLY never held any other job in his entire life, steals his roommates idea, and now controls elections of the world's strongest superpower.

That smarmy little piece of shit should be in prison.

I just whine on social media.

kids these days

I mean most kids don't even use facebook, it's like the genx/millennials and their boomer parents who don't understand the internet. Taken for what it is and not more, it can be fine but yea the deep worry is people's inability to filter information

Potr,

You’ve got a strong point there too.

I see most internet advertising as benign. Annoying if anything.

FB is militant about That shit. I can’t block or turn off tons of stuff that I hate. It’s only been a week or so. I’m ready to delete it and be done for good.

Z-berg better be inventing a time machine first. Because when FB becomes fully self aware and takes over the world, we’re gonna have to send some one, or something, back to take him out (unfortunately probably his roommate too).

Hopefully, the future human rebels have a sense of humor and make terminators that look like Rick and Morty.

If this ^ was a movie. I’d watch it right now.

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> kids these days

>

> I mean most kids don't even use facebook

Yeah it's mainly people over 50 on there, but that's usually the folks that share the same passions as me. I'm 32 and the number of people my age and younger on Facebook is next to none. Facebook will die within 5 years.

> Your Mother Wrote:

> Stephen you're much more optimistic than I am. To me it looks like

> things might at best get better then much worse..... Kind of like the

> Titanic sinking and the QE is the bilge pumps that somehow manages to

> flood the 3rd class compartments faster. . .

>

> People are mesmerized by their phones and idiocy like the grand ballroom

> is now a rave and everyone has been given drugs and they won't stop

> partying.... and no one will help those trying to save everyone......

> no, instead the smart people work quietly as not to be beaten by the

> idiots for trying to stop the party....

>

> The watch has no hands..... the idiots dance to the bottom regardless of

> the circumstances I guess....... and Facebook is the ballroom.

>

> I am connecting with family and trying to live a more meaningful life. I

> have been to operas, symphonies, concerts, driven many fine cars,went to

> many nice places, dated nice women, got married and have a great

> life...... It's the kids I worry about, and I am going to maybe save up

> and buy a switch and give it to an orphanage or build and provide cheap

> housing or something.

>

> I am sick of everyone's bullshit and just want to do my part which will

> change over the years I imagine, If I'm lucky.

^ Lol, I've been called lots of things in my life, but optimistic is rarely one of them! :D I'm optimistic for myself, as I know how to live in the real world, so not worried about the rot on the internet. Op says he lived with his head in the sand, worked had a family, nothing could be further from the truth, he did what you are supposed to do, made a difference in the REAL world, not in pictures and stories online. People "spy" on old friends, significant others.... that's some weak shit, have questions? Call and TALK to them, they will not talk to you? Then who gives a fuck what they are doing? Worry about YOURSELF, and those with whom you DO have relationships. Duh...why is this so hard? People also say they are "disappointed" in what they find with old acquaintances, "ex got fat" "no one doing anything interesting" etc etc et al, well no shit, we are all just regular people, we ARE boring compared to celebrity types, age, and making a living, raising a family takes a toll on us mortals, and that is perfectly NORMAL. Re-read that last sentence, I'll give you a minute. Once we accept this, maybe we can get back to trying to live our REAL lives with some purpose rather than chasing "celebrity" on-line while ignoring what is going on right in front of our noses. There is NO shame in being ordinary, and fuck social media for trying to sell us otherwise.

Read more, click less.

I have spoken, that is all, as you were.

Good stuff here. . I was talking today about celebrity bankruptcy.... the whole thing is nonsense and it is extremely powerful. People follow people who pretend to be rich while being poor themselves... FB/Instagram/Tik tok....all kind of the same in this aspect... but there are other factors......Marketplace, groups, etc...... so both good and bad which makes this all so strange..... I guess like when electricity came out I could use lighting to fuck up my sleep hours or study at night on occasion when I need to and benefit from that advantage..... get it? Because I barely do.....

The "advantages" of social media to me pale in comparison to the rot you need to put up with, would like marketplace, but I still have CL...not into "groups" this place is enough (too much sometimes) for moped stuff, and car stuff I know enough for anything I'm going to do, there is google for research. The real trick to a happy life is to quit giving a fuck what other people think of you, this is your life, not theirs, do you and you will always be happy, it is not your job to entertain or provide meaning or anything to anyone else. Vice versa of course, no one owes you any approval either. If you have to rely on others opinions/thoughts to know if you are happy, you are not.

Facebook is mostly just entertaining to watch folks argue about the same shyte over and over until they are physically and mentally done... then along comes another arsehole to stir up the shyte pot again - lol.

Great place for having a more timely convo with folks about bikes, also good for their video messaging and that "rooms" video thing to have a few folks discuss technical shyte. Probably other platforms to do video conferencing but I am old and not bothering to search out other methods because this works.

Like most things in life, the return is based on the input, so if you wrangle with the buttheads then you are going to be up to your neck in BS. I just block idiots who piss me off, dump whatever groups turn into crap and ignore the crap that is otherwise thrown onto the page that does not concern me.

The internet has directly replaced "reading the magazine just for the articles", you have to skip over (or pretend you do) the 'other' content.

I never lied to anybody that I "read the articles" ;D

Stephen, I like the way you think and say things. You’re an alright dude. Not that you need to hear me say it, but I just want to and there it is.

My original post wasn’t so much to complain about the garbage that FB has become or the fake lives it encourages; people wanting to appear to be something they may or may not be.

My biggest shock was that I thought I knew these people. Like they were totally normal at one point. Sure, some people get older and go a little crazy. Some people were always crazy. But, never before have I seen crowds of “normal” adults snap on their skis and rip down those “slippery slopes”.

FB may have contributed. But it was more of an observational tool that allowed me to focus on the destruction. I knew other people were nuts. I didn’t expect my people to be nuts.

A sweet band mom (from my HS days) had a post today showing Trump as a hero of 9/11. At ground zero saving lives with his money because he always loved America. She would have spit in the man’s face 18 years ago. If trump was at the WTC after the attack, it was to see how cheap he could buy the lot. I digress.

Maybe I was just from an area that suffered more polarizing politics than others. It’s a terrible loss. To feel like your home isn’t yours anymore. That the people and places you once loved are soiled by... whatever this is called happening right now.

This has to be what some people were feeling in Europe during the rise of hitler. No matter how bad it gets, I’m not drinking anyone’s Kool-Aid. (2nd time today saying kool-aid).

You've been drinkin the kool-aid of the media for the last four years . Cheer up! You're getting four more. LOL!

Hopefully not, but if we do, and the country survives, it will be the end of him.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account