Went dumpster diving...

And got a nice bench grinder and a slightly used sheet of 3/8” aluminum.

Grinder feels a bit loose on the right side, but I’ll fix it.

Amazing what the military throws away on a daily basis. There was a brand new Honda engines push mower in there. People have to move, and can’t leave anything behind. If they forget to sell it or give it away, last minute it ends up in the trash. People pick the goods out. The base itself though, shops toss all kinds of great shit and usually mess it up. But, they can’t just take it home, because then people would find lots of reasons to “replace” stuff.

Anyhow, I’ll keep snagging materials as they come. So much steel tubing ends up in there. I want to build a frame with it. The tubing today was kinda thin walled and galvanized. So I passed.

7E2ACD4F-47E4-48B8-8CE7-74DA036A4BA4.jpeg
D8712F5C-227D-4EB3-AC03-4DEA6762F40D.jpeg

Re: Went dumpster diving...

Ain’t nothing wrong with the grinder! Just a loose nut. And the rest plate is busted. Someone must have jammed it up good. Maybe the rebound loosened the wheel? Dunno, don’t care. I have a transformer that puts out 110VAC but it’s still at 50 Hz. So, I plugged it in and turned it on briefly. Spun right up. Just have to wait until I move back to Murica to use it.

Still a score. I never get this lucky with a nice tool find.

There was a plunge router further back in the mess. If I had taken the mower, router, grinder and materials that were still usable, it could have been near $1000 worth of stuff (if I had to buy it all new). Damn this place is wasteful.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Last year I pulled a grinder and its stand out of the garbage in perfect condition. I looked it up and someone paid around $150 for the set up. The things people throw away amaze me, literally mine needs nothing - even the wheels were good on it!

Nice find!

why would someone cutting metal just throw away scraps, especially Al, like sure it's cheap or only a few bucks but if you're cutting metal, it's gotta make sense to recycle it.

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> why would someone cutting metal just throw away scraps, especially Al,

> like sure it's cheap or only a few bucks but if you're cutting metal,

> it's gotta make sense to recycle it.

Probably military personnel that took it home and didn't feel like taking it back to the US.

I remember driving through military villages in Germany and being amazed by all the stuff that was getting thrown out.

That’s just the nature of military work. If your job is to USE a bench grinder, then it isn’t to FIX a bench grinder.

If your shop doesn’t have a person trained to fix, it’s usually cheaper and easier to replace it.

Supervisors can’t sign off on some guy that thinks he knows how to fix it. That could endanger himself or others.

We could get a contractor to fix it. That requires 3 independent bids and chain of command approval. About 6-18 months later, and for 1000% the cost of buying a new grinder, an outside agency comes in and says they can do the job but have to order the parts; which are on back order since the grinder was out of production 40 years ago.

I don’t work in the metal shop, but assume it’s similar to the BS I deal with.

And the scrap aluminum, I don’t get. I guess if they stored every odd scrap, hoping to utilize it later, their shop would be full of leftovers and that’s not a clean look for an efficient shop.

Like most everything American waste is a given, it's sad really. Great find, it never ceases to amaze me what gets thrown/given away, you can make a living off of it if you are young and energetic!

y'all ever hit up the college dorms end of year? gold mine

I wouldn’t have guessed that dorm residents would have anything I’d want to rescue.

Microwaveable containers and cool looking (empty) liquor bottles.

Seriously though, what kinda stuff y’all find?

I also pick up stuff lost on the road. Got my ball peen hammer out of the street. Hand truck with pneumatic tires and brake (I tried calling the company). Saw a nice washer fluid pump attached to reservoir in the mess of a fender bender. Used that on my old VW instead of the spare tire pressure. My wife gets embarrassed, but free is free. Even found a 1/2 carat diamond ring, set in platinum.

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> y'all ever hit up the college dorms end of year? gold mine

HUGE gold mines, bikes, scooters, computers, game systems, smoking utensils, furniture, TV's microwaves, it's astounding.

People in So. Ohio are too poor generally to throw anything good away. If you DO find something, it will have been owned by well-to-dos usually.

Congrats on all the finds, especially the bench grinder. Need one myself!

Overpriced Parts /

Wow dumpster diving/garbage picking, resale stores/flea markets allowed me to live like a king and helped provide for my family.

My first red magnum I had I found in a construction dumpster, though it was buried standing up to just the beginning of the front wheel and fender in drywall, studs and demoed construction materials, My wife and I dug it out in about 20 minutes without the construction crew even knowing it ha ha.

It was and still is in the same condition as in the picture though it had a e50 on it not what’s shown in picture. (The fan in the picture was from the dumpster too ha ha)

7F35AF3B-6070-45A2-82B8-FF01CDA1639D.jpeg

A piston ring and a carb clean it purred like a kitten but I put a Polini kit then a za50 gila on it, I still have the stock e50 cases if I want to put it back the way I found it and the few tank scratches it has on from the drywall screws scraping it makes me smile every time I look at them knowing because of them got it for free,

Tree lawn puch finds on garbage day included a few maxis but they were in a lot worse condition,

I did restore this one to nice shape though It took 100s of $ in wheels, controls, lights, covers/body parts, new 15mm carb, pipe and kit for basically only the frame, forks, fender, bottom end and seat were usable.

3D73D58D-7443-4C65-8238-57066CB1FD62.jpeg

I got a Trac Moped that went 35 mph with only a carb cleaning and a fresh tank a gas that I sold for fair price,

The other Moped‘s I got off a tree lawn included tomos bullet and a general but used mostly for parts.

Got a small old tube guitar amp that got me 300$ worth of trade on music equipment at a music store, A empty checkbook that had 50 bucks shoved in the back of it,

A heavy gold ring that paid out good money,

A few years ago before they changed the garbage to only recyclable and one garbage bin (you can’t throw anything extra away unless you call and pay more) we got a Yamaha 50w with a 12” speaker guitar amp, a no name acoustic guitar that is just wall art now, a microphone, a Lawrence acoustic pick up and some music stands,

The amp and the pick up are perfect for the house acoustic, it plays cleanly whereas with tube amps it’s just screams and feedsback even @ low volume.

2AEBF595-4E4D-431E-AF91-94E046289CA5.jpeg

Got too many things to list over the years but some include: stereo receivers, boomboxes, Speakers galore, bicycles, mini bikes, children’s riding toys and wagons, lawnmowers, snowblower, edgers, Weedwhackers, Electric washers and dryers, small fridges/freezers, razor electric scooters.

New clothes with tags still on them, tools, collectibles, you name it that all got used or made good money at garage sales or flea markets.

Can’t pick much now like I said because only the two bins are allowed out here so only on the rare occurrence like if somebody’s moving out do we ever get to pick when it used to be a weekly affair on the eve of garbage day but I did recently find a nice heavy duty high-pressure air tank with gauge, hose and chuck off the side of the road in the bushes and a nice step stool/seat that makes a good shop seat,

Found this dewalt skill saw at the dump on Saturday. Looks almost new and works fine.

20200829_152451.jpg

Don’t get me started on weed eaters. People have no clue what to do with them.

I asked a lady, who was standing in her front lawn, if I could take the weed eater out of her trash. She was like, “by all means, if you want it, it’s trash.”

I started it up in front of her and asked if she still wanted to throw it away. She already had a new one and just told me to take it.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I found two matching Bianchimatic mopeds during a town wide clean up week, several years ago. Both ran with minimal tinkering. I’ve been picking during clean up weeks since I was a little kid. Back in the day, I used to pick up clocks, typewriters, you name it. If I was still spry and physically able, I’d still be doing it. (edited)

Over in the department of France where my inlaws live, they have a fortnightly kerbside collection of stuff for Emmaus ( a charity that houses homeless people, in return for fixing stuff up to sell ). Usually it is old crap, but they do the same thing 10 minutes across the border in Switzerland. What a difference! 6 month old TV's, sofas that cost thousands, practically new electrical appliences. I can't wait to go over to visit the inlaws, now I have a van!

I bring home more ahot from the dump than I bring sometimes. I did get a john deere back pack blower one time. I saw it in the metal dumpster so I reached I. To see if it was siezed and when I pulled the rip cord it started up and was on full throttle. Another guy next to me was like what the fuck. All it needed was. New rubber tank grommet. Been using it every year for about 7 years. I got enough wood decking to build a 30 foot walkway at my house also. I could go on and on. Best thing is they have a good return policy, haha

Will brake for stuff. I was coming home from buying a new roll of Red Brand Barbed Wire once and darned if on the side of the highway there wasn't a brand new roll exactly like the one I had just bought. So I stopped and picked it up and turned right around and returned the one I just bought and got my fifty bucks back. I got a nice telescope and tripod sitting out next to a trash can about a year ago. Made a u-turn for that one. There was a place out here where I used to stop every Friday. I called it Rich Folk's Trash Day. A nice coil of about 12' of brand new 1/2" copper tubing, 6 twisted wrought iron 6' tall yard light holders, a brand new threshold that's under my front door now, scrap lumber, on and on and on. Every week there was something really good. I found a new wheelbarrow body by the side of the road that still had the price tag on it. Looked like it had cement mixed in it once and they were too lazy to clean it out really well. Mine was about shot so I put that body on my wheelbarrow frame, and Bob's you uncle - new wheelbarrow. I also have a neighbor who gave me his brand new Ryobi table saw. He tried to use it once - as in one time - and didn't know how so it kicked back and freaked him out so he gave it to me. Now I don't have to drag my bazillion lb vintage Craftsman out into the driveway to cut small firewood with, I can take the light one. It is amazing what rich folks throw away. I will stop and pick stuff up every single time. I got a super cute couch for my cats that way too. Now that's what Eliot Ness lies on every night to watch TV. They like having their own cat sized furniture I have discovered. It's fun to find great crap and haul it home and clean it up and tally up the score. Good finds everyone. Great stories !!!! Oh ! Wait......I got an amazing huge powered studio recording / mixing console too. I was doing a play at The Palo Duro Amphitheater up around Amarillo, and they were putting in a new system, so they just put the 70s era Yamaha 1000 out by the dumpster in the Anvil road case. I had flown up to do the show but had a fellow cast member help me put it in the back of his truck and he drove it back to Fort Worth. Crimony- the road case alone is worth a couple of hundred at least. That's the heaviest damn console in the world. I googled that Yamaha console and found a redone one for about $9,000. It's an enormous thing that was the sound system for the amphitheater. Scoooooooorrrrrreeeeee.

Picking is great, if I was not encumbered by the need to make a living would do more of it, got a moped that way, lady was wheeling it to the dumpster at a church garage sale, they would not let her bring it inside as it had once had gas in it, I asked what she was doing with it, she said I'm throwing it away, I'll be damned if I'm taking this thing back home! I asked if I might have it, she handed it right over, it had never been titled, they used it at their vacation cabin, kids were gone and it was in the way. Not the most desirable bike, but kept a piece of history out of the landfill, a cl hook up got it running and i titled and plated it. Google Motobecane 7 and you will see a video of the bike after dude got it running, it was posted here yrs ago, but I can't find it, stumbled on it on google, small world! :)

021.jpg
081.jpg

My most recent finding although not from a dumpster but a front lawn is a honda eu1000i generator. Went to a buddies house to fix his sand rail and the gen was laying in the front yard halfway torn apart. Said he didnt want to mess with it and I could have it if I wanted.

20 minutes of work cleaning the carb, cleaning the plug and fresh oil and she fired right up. New part to add to my bus stuff for camping, runs a 5000btu ac unit no problem and is compact and quiet.

^ MAJOR score, a friend who is a mobile mechanic got two of those for fucking free from one of the fleet operators he does oil changes and mechanical work for, bought them for an emergency used twice and left with gas in them for years, would not start....duh, were out by their dumpsters, he asked and was given both, had them each running in an hour, those things are worth big bucks! Our society is so wasteful.

I used to go diving the dumpsters at ga tech after the undergrads left. I could pick up over a hundred easy just selling textbooks online that weren't on the bookstore buyback list.

We got tons of good stuff. I'd grab all the instant soups and canned foods, donate a lot, kept the rest in my office for lunches & stuff. Booze was always a nice bonus too, plenty of unopened ones.

i got a flat screen TV one year, I sold it to another guy picking scraps. I grabbed it and within a few minutes while I was pushing it away on my skaeboard (it was BIG, like 48" or somethin) and a dude pulls up and is like "20 bucks" and I was like gimme 50. I think I sold it for 20. i dont drive a hard bargain haha.

Vacuum cleaners, Andy found a apple watch, some older gen ipods or mp3 players, she also found a laptop that was in great shape but chinese. like i dont mean made in china, it was a chinese laptop with chinese keyboard & stuff. still it had some value.

Definitely lots of bicycles too. I worked at a bike co-op there so I'd bring all the bikes to the co-op, fix em and we actually kept them all til 2 months after the next year started in case someone made a claim or reported em missing when they got back.

besides that, toys like nerf guns and clothes just insane how much gets tossed. but it was still fun diggin thru with friends, throwing lawndarts at the next dumpster or whatever, didnt even keep that stuff - just playin

THE BEST though: me and lauren and clint (old swoops) were diggin thru a dumpster and I found a wallet outside the girls dorm, some dude's wallet. I can only imagine it'd been left after a 1 nighter and pitched after the school year. I looked inside and there was a $2 bill tucked in. I gleefully showed my companions, and as i pulled it out lauren's like wide eyed pointing at my feet and im like chill dude it's only 2 bucks - we can split it and she's like no you idiot, look! $100 had fallen out . so that was probably the best thing we ever found - a $100 bill. super win.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> ^ MAJOR score, a friend who is a mobile mechanic got two of those for

> fucking free from one of the fleet operators he does oil changes and

> mechanical work for, bought them for an emergency used twice and left

> with gas in them for years, would not start....duh, were out by their

> dumpsters, he asked and was given both, had them each running in an

> hour, those things are worth big bucks! Our society is so wasteful.

It still amazes me what people will throw away from laziness. Sadly I cant pick up everything i see because it would look like a horders house.

True environmentalists would find a way to make producers of their products last a lifetime.

Btw, I'm surprised those people aren't losing their minds from all the additional plastic being pumped out right now for single use. Insanity.

I hord almost every 110 motor and belt drive item as I can repurpose or turn down a motor to make it work for anything. I have a very nice drill press that I can turn down to very slow speeds to drill stainless. I had a job recently that required days of drilling half inch stainless and it sucked. I also have a smaller drill press that spun way to fast for stainless but I searched around in my garage and found a belt and pulleys to slow down my other drill press so we could have two people working on the project. All free shit.

Working with stainless is a bitch!

Yeah had to make like 30 or so of these mounting plates. They go between fancy wood and granite benches we made. So overkill but that is what the designer wanted.

20200818_090545.jpg
20190717_145549.jpg

Pushrod Fifty /

I did a dumpster dive at a bike shop and pulled out a perfect mountain bike.

> Satan 666 Wrote:

> I hord almost every 110 motor and belt drive item as I can repurpose or

> turn down a motor to make it work for anything. I have a very nice drill

> press that I can turn down to very slow speeds to drill stainless. I had

> a job recently that required days of drilling half inch stainless and it

> sucked. I also have a smaller drill press that spun way to fast for

> stainless but I searched around in my garage and found a belt and

> pulleys to slow down my other drill press so we could have two people

> working on the project. All free shit.

You need a lathe, had picked up 5 ge motors from being thrown away that looked to be nos.

My old fan motor took a shit so had to turn down the armature to fit a new motor. Put the atlas 6x18 to work.

Screenshot_20200904-083907_Photos.jpg

Pushrod Fifty /

I stopped to help a girl that broke down on the side of the road in her old VW bug. This was like in the summer of 1982. She asked me for a ride in exchange for the car, she hated it and just wanted to dump it. She gave me the key and we cribbled out a bill of sale. I went back to the car and found that the points had come loose. I set them by eye and it fired right up. The auto shift lever had a broken wire that actuates the clutch. Saw it hanging there and twisted the ends together and off I went with free bug!

Nice! But I would have sold it, auto stick was an abomination! :) But a free bug is a free bug!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account