I now own one of my dream cars

I need not tell anybody here that moped people like weird things. BUT

1996 geo metro sedan 5speed, with the 1.3 l4 big engine!!!! Ohh God I am so happy right now. Smoooooothest clutch I love this thing. Best part, it's purple. PURPLE!

First car I have ever owned that has working ac! Period correct audiovox rampage stereo with a real tuning knob!!!!, lightbulbs are out on it sadly.

500 dabloons and all she needs is a driver's side CV axle. It pops a little ya know, on its way out. Which is three bolts and like a 1/2 hour job.

So happy

Re: I now own one of my dream cars

The one with the trunk, yuk, but I know they are fun cars, I have owned 3! All hatch backs, check a arms for rot, it is a weakness of these cars. XFI 3cyl 5 speeds! :) All buckets, with no heat, but a blast to drive.

i'd give anything for a first gen 2 door xfi 3cyl 5 speed with no rust....

Drive it like you stole it!

Yeah, woulda loved a hatch. But wasn't going to turn this down. Zero rust on the thing except the exhaust, small hole I'll put a patch clamp on... Paint sucks, but the interior is mint other than the headliner. Sadly, the original owner immediately put on a carpet dash cover. Which over 150k miles has worn the paint on the dash down to yellow plastic . But what ever, I've got a sweeeet carpet dash cover!

Xfi was the hypermiling version right? Like 53 hwy stock? No heat? Like, it diddnt come with a heater? I remember when dad replaced his geo he almost bought a 1st Gen Kia Rio without heat....thank God he got the Hyundai instead, put over 300k on it in 3 years..

My dad put 14in wheels on the front of his geo bitd when he ran an armed courier service up and down the I5 quarter in Seattle. Got 52 on his.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I owned a brand new, red ‘93 Geo Metro convertible back in the day. It had the 3 cyl motor. Great little car, but not big enough to transport my three young sons. Sold it in ‘94.

They really are fun. Man larry those convertibles were sweeet. It's sad that we don't have a direct decendant here in the us. Closest thing would be a mitsubishi mirage. Those are under 10k new, but just not my cup of tea.

Lol, did you make three sons in 93? Probably should have bought the four door! Just joking

They really are great but I do get a moped feeling driving it. If im on a steep hill, no way I'm getting out of second. But then again, we have some really steep hills here.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Aaron, when I bought the car, my wife and I were still together and we had a 4 door chevy Corsica for transporting the kids. When we separated In late ‘93 and I had to pick my boys up for visitation, the metro wasn’t cutting it. Hence the reason I sold it. I then bought a 4 door sedan so I could safely drive my boys around.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

1996 geo metro sedan 5speed,

HA! whats sad is Ive really wanted one of those as well. I had to settle for the slightly bigger and slightly worse gas mileage Hyundai Accent. When its $200 for a 68K car its hard to say no. Love that car! Its only going to get harder to find them as time goes on.

Oh, and its probably due for a timing belt so no one ever likes to change those. Do the water pump while your there!

punkrock randy /

My buddy had a Festiva that we chopped the roof off of back in the day. Only had brakes at 3 corners cause my buddy wouldn’t spring for a wheel cylinder. It was so loud and obnoxious, great to terrorize rich neighborhoods as a young man. I highly recommend this mod🤘🏼

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Dude. Where’s the pics?

I got a free 01 “Chevy” Metro about a year ago. They only offered the big block in 01. MPG’s suck. 30mpg, 25mpg with the A/C running. Automatic. First gen metros were the shit. I had an 89/5spd hatchback and a 94/AT hatchback back in the day. Both were 3cyl. I miss them. They were like a modern version of an air cooled beetle. EPA killed the beetle. Safety standards killed the metro.

Even though the 01 is a metro, it’s nothing like the first gen metros. Sure, it’s tiny, but it doesn’t even compare. It’s much heavier, dual air bags, power steering, power door locks, 13in wheels, but the 16v MPFI 1.3L is impressive. Unfortunately the 3spd auto is a poor match for the motor.

Dude said he wanted a 4WD vehicle and he was told that the rust on the metro wouldn’t pass state inspection, so he bought a subaru and just wanted to get rid of the metro.

The rust wasn’t structural, so some black and silver duct tape fixed that shit. The brakes were good and the tires were only a few months old. Had a bad trans leak, but a pair of shaft seals fixed that. Oh, some fresh paint on the hubcaps too. Been running the shit out of it with no issues.

1E4FAC9D-8B08-407B-962C-34C7B1E7D19D.jpeg
15C0134A-5724-412E-A5F5-5993B4435AF9.jpeg
9FA0E389-6B17-450C-BDD1-0EB36A23933A.jpeg

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

A little spray foam gives the tape something to stick to. :)

C9EC8954-4CB0-460B-ADEA-6E345A57B2EF.jpeg
24F3731D-A4C1-4944-8780-0FDA85F07715.jpeg

> Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Aaron, when I bought the car, my wife and I were still together and we

> had a 4 door chevy Corsica for transporting the kids. When we separated

> In late ‘93 and I had to pick my boys up for visitation, the metro

> wasn’t cutting it. Hence the reason I sold it. I then bought a 4 door

> sedan so I could safely drive my boys around.

Ouch larry. I apologise I was just surprised that you sold it Soo soon.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Aaron, no need to apologize. Kim and I have been together for over 26 years and my sons and I are very close, so it all worked out for the best. (edited)

rad, are those same as the tracker I4?

my friend velvet had the 3 cyl and it got like 55mpg. so rad

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> Xfi was the hypermiling version right? Like 53 hwy stock? No heat? Like,

> it diddnt come with a heater? I remember when dad replaced his geo he

> almost bought a 1st Gen Kia Rio without heat....thank God he got the

> Hyundai instead, put over 300k on it in 3 years..

>

> My dad put 14in wheels on the front of his geo bitd when he ran an armed

> courier service up and down the I5 quarter in Seattle. Got 52 on his.

Yep, the stripped down version (lol) no ac, lucky to get a radio, but insane mpg, called it the motorcycle with a roof. It had a heater, but it was lousy in all 3, tried everything, covered radiator, flushed coolant replaced thermostats....it would just barely keep the windshield clear? Never got that figured out, had two mechanic friends at the time and they both talked me out of the brand for safety reasons, one said I stood a better chance on my motorcycle, the other advised if I saw a wreck coming that I was was better off jumping from the car at speed than riding out the wreck, can't remember if they had air bags, I don't think so.... I saw 52 on the highway, and I loved driving them, you could feel the 3cyl pulse in the clutch pedal... :) For the record, a 3cyl engine drives my ocd INSANE, but it worked well. Radiator was the size of a manila mailing envelope, I think the Engine started out in a Suzuki snowmobile, looked like you could carry it around with one arm! It came after the Chev sprint.... love me some micro-cars, Festiva were fun too.....anyone remember The Fiesta from Ford? Those were gems, too bad MN has to dump rock salt on the roads so you can get around, all these fun rides are long gone. Mitsu Mirage will prob be my next micro car, dull looking but the same idea, got to hold out for the 5 speed though. (and for them to get more worn out and cheaper) ;)

> Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

> I owned a brand new, red ‘93 Geo Metro convertible back in the day. It

> had the 3 cyl motor. Great little car, but not big enough to transport

> my three young sons. Sold it in ‘94.

Suzuki engine, I believe?

^ corect, 1.0 3cyl.

Stephen - I'm shocked !! Shocked I tell you !! Although you have shown yourself to be a magnanimous and generous soul who truly loves all things motorized. Long and heavy, short and light they are precious in your sight. I bet we could just put a Metro in the truck of the Lincoln and use it as a spare !!!

^ha! :) I bet we could....I like cars to be either enormous or super tiny with stick shifts....what can I say, I'm odd...lol. A metro probably would fit in the bed of my mad max pick up! ;)

20200529_141237.jpg
20200529_141249.jpg

IMG_20200901_183143.jpg

Mmmm purple.

Viking Purple! ;) Loving the carpet dash! :D Washington, no wonder it's still alive, keep your eyes on where the a-arms meat the uni-body, that's where they fail. (edited)

It was actually sold in louisiana, probably why it has ac. Records I have go back to 98 and it was already here In My town by then.

I found all the original papers including the window sticker in the glovebox. If radwood(80-90s car show) ever comes to Washington I'll probably get an award.ha

The carpet actually isn't on the dash in that pic.lol I took it off to survey the missing paint. All that yellow should be grey.

The headlights were cross-eyed really badly. Apparently the prev owner diddnt own a screwdriver.lol

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ /

lol, this is the strangest conversations. post office used chevettes in the early 80s. it was fun beating on it since it wasnt mine and i could get in the 69 camaro n go home.

65 stange comes close, only 6 cylinders green dot no power anything. mpg, suburban got around 16. never gave a thought about mileage.

que sera.

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> It was actually sold in louisiana, probably why it has ac. Records I

> have go back to 98 and it was already here In My town by then.

>

> I found all the original papers including the window sticker in the

> glovebox. If radwood(80-90s car show) ever comes to Washington I'll

> probably get an award.ha

>

> The carpet actually isn't on the dash in that pic.lol I took it off to

> survey the missing paint. All that yellow should be grey.

>

> The headlights were cross-eyed really badly. Apparently the prev owner

> diddnt own a screwdriver.lol

The problem is they did, (own a screwdriver) they often screwed up the bulb retaining screws with aiming screws, I knew about the yellow dash, I read your post, I like the carpet dash covers, someone went all JC whitney on her! :) I'm happy you dig your new ride, it's important to like your cars...I hate the body style, but I love the idea of what it represents, micro cars have a place, I adore my '94 Tercel coupe. It is rusting away before my eyes, but it has served me very well, I intend to run it into the ground.

Aww man! I had an 86 chevy nova! Which is just a rebadged tercel hatchback. Great cars.

I don't really care for the looks of the sedan, or the rounded 2nd gen cars at all for that matter. But, I have always wanted a geo. So it'll work fine.plus.....purple!

My real geo dream would be a mint blue 92 hatch with the 5 speed. Don't care about it being an xfi. Just want the car my dad had.. ohh! And it needs a crochet yarn heart dangling from the mirror dipped in cinnamon oil! That's what the dealer put in his when he bought it. Or a suzuki swift gti.

Gotta pull out the radio and see if I can fix the backlight. I'm hoping it's just a line of LEDs in series and one just died, opening the circuit. Thing even has a fake blinking alarm led when you remove the faceplate.ha

I was pissed to find out that no one makes shaft control cassette decks anymore. Dual had a great one out 5 yrs ago but they discontinued it....shoulda bought one then...I gotta have shaft tuning if I ever replace this one.

Pushrod Fifty /

I always wanted a Swift hatchback.

I believe the Nova was a rebadged Corolla? Either way it was an awesome car.

Nice score Aaron! 1.3 is a great platform, people like to put an xfi cam in those and adjust the ignition timing, apparently it really helps with the lack of torque in the low Rpms. I have a 1st gen g chassis car too! it’s a Chevy sprint turbo, it has the g10 motor with a 5 speed and it absolutely rips. Not gonna blow the doors off on the quarter mile, but it’s a really well balanced car and handles really well with shorter/stiffer springs.

0792C223-DD30-468F-98CA-72CE77D04C01.jpeg
8176516A-40E6-496B-997A-459DEEE190B8.jpeg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account