Bearing howl on the Mustang

I do all of my own mechanic work and a LOT of other people's too. I have been putting off tackling the 7.5" differential on the Stang.

The old 9" Ford punkins are my favorite. These rear access diffs I do not like.

Put the Stang on the rack and pulled the differential(after axles removed).

Right differential bearing apparently was mismatched with the race. Drove 85 miles today to get the one I KNEW would be correct according to the VIN#.

Got back , installed the bearing, and looks like it's gonna be fine (pinion preload and backlash are looking to be within specs).

It would've cost an arm and a leg to take that into Ford and have them do the job.

MORE MONEY for MOPEDS! Yay!

Re: Bearing howl on the Mustang

You did save yourself a bundle doing that yourself. Ford 9inch is a great rear end.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Nicely done sir! Now come fix this bastard power steering line on my Hyundai.

Bring it over and we'll put it on the lift, Jimmy!

Yeah,Steve! I can't understand how people can afford NOT to fix their own cars.

Many people see debt as just a part of life, and just assume every time they darken a shop they are to be down a few k, shops around here are now offering their own credit cards for god's sake....could you imagine making payments on a car and then making other payments on the repairs? You are fortunate to have a lift, I don't and there are just some things I will not do anymore, but I run old cars, which are easier and cheaper to maintain, also at the price point I buy, if there is a major failure I just scrap them, almost scrapped the crown vic, but I love it, have it running again, but still needs a bit, but have saved more than the car is worth doing most myself, may need a shop to dial it back in, but not given up, I have four cars, so some can sit while I putter with them, just all have to run by winter so can move them for the plows. The project you just completed is more than I'm willing to do, but your car is worth more than any of mine, so I totally see why you did. These are the type of conversations I like having with you, let's stay out of politics! :) I have this whole week off as I start a new job the 8th of sept so going to tinker with the Crown, she's a bucket, but rides fine and gets great highway mpg, 29.7 best ever at 70 with ac on, when she was right, not a P-71 so no low gear posi, I have what used to be called "highway gears". 12mpg in town though. I can never sell it for what I have in it, all new suspension brakes and fuel system, so will keep it as a back up for the mighty Toyota, that will just not die, but is tiny the Crown has plenty of room.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Yeah,Steve! I can't understand how people can afford NOT to fix their own cars.

Agreed. In my 34 years of life I used a shop once to put a flex pipe on a car (was like $300 ish i think) back when I was a teenager... last flex pipe i bought was $42. I cant stomach the cost difference no matter how annoying it is to do my own work. Same goes for most home repairs... contractor pricing is insane. What people charge to paint a room is nuts.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

It’s called getting old!

Before I had my spinal fusion and knee replacement, I pretty much did all my own vehicle maintenance. Now that I am physically unable to do it anymore, I take it to my local shop. I’m lucky to have a mechanic that is both highly skilled and very reasonably priced.

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah,Steve! I can't understand how people can afford NOT to fix their

> own cars.

>

Dirty30 Dillon /

Lol, Don would own a mustang.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Lol, Don would own a mustang.

Whats wrong with a mustang? I had a 97 with a V6 and it was a very reliable car.

I miss my 85 t top 5.0. Bought it off a tweaker for 400 bucks because it didnt go into any gear. Was the selector ring on the shifter rails of the t5 trans was broke in half, 20 dollar part and was back on the road.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Lol, Don would own a mustang.

>

> Whats wrong with a mustang? I had a 97 with a V6 and it was a very

> reliable car.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> Lol, Don would own a mustang but not a phone with a camera.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Oops sorry, i didnt realize only people in mustangs have accidents and drive recklessly.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Oops sorry, i didnt realize only people in mustangs have accidents and

> drive recklessly.

I forgive you.

I don't love a mustang but cars are really pretty personal choices. I fucking HATE my shitbox car, but looking around the parking lot at work, there's not one I would rather have - they all kinda suck.

personally I'm not into power, inefficiency, big cars, really the mustang does zero i'd want in a car over any other car, but i'd still own it if only to sell it and get some cheaper garbage that i'd hate as much but spend less on. haha.

I do love my samurai tho. but also hate it too haha

To me part of why I love it is it relies on me too, you know we have a real relationship, it's not all give, I have to give a lot back and together we go places me and my car. so in that regard a mustang's prolly gonna keep ya busy. but also they go fast and look traditionally cool and for sure the fast can be fun and the traditionally cool fits a lottta people's interests I guess.

tldr; cars are dumb but there's a million reasons why people might like any one over anyother

Jimmy Cincinnati /

personally I'm not into power, inefficiency, big cars, really the mustang does zero i'd want in a car over any other car, but i'd still own it if only to sell it and get some cheaper garbage that i'd hate as much but spend less on. haha.

I actually got my 97 Stang for cheap, and for the most part it gave me 50K hassle free miles minus normal items like tune ups. I sold it and bought a truck or else i would have just kept driving it. It actually did decent on the highway too. Im not a Mustang buff by any means but generally speaking they are reliable cars. Im much like you in the regards that i could care less about power, luxury, or large car. I realized driving that mustang that a car is a car, and regardless of what Im driving i normally just want to get home and get own with my other hobbies. Thats why i drive beaters now... I can get a dent on the car and not care, and I just do what they need to keep them going. Not need to waste a saturday afternoon polishing it up. The basic requires for me now beyond initial selling price is...

1) Has A/C

2) Gets good gas mileage.

3) Prefer a manual (not a deal breaker)

4) Prefer a hatch or wagon (not a deal breaker)

5) Minimal overly rusty - it needs to be solid enough to justify putting money into it.

6) Power windows & cruise are nice but not deal breakers. Neither my truck nor car has power windows currently.

> Oops sorry, i didnt realize only people in mustangs have accidents and

> drive recklessly.

LOL! Yeah, Jimmy, mine's a V6 convertible and I love it. I'll like it better now without the bearing making noise when I accelerate.

I have a chip in it to increase performance. It's plenty for me, but the lincoln LSes will leave it in the dust. LOL!

Stephen, I love Crown Vics and Marquises but my wife says they're too big for her to park and maneuver now, hence the Lincoln LSes.

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> > Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Oops sorry, i didnt realize only people in mustangs have accidents and

>

> > drive recklessly.

>

> LOL! Yeah, Jimmy, mine's a V6 convertible and I love it. I'll like it

> better now without the bearing making noise when I accelerate.

>

> I have a chip in it to increase performance. It's plenty for me, but

> ut the lincoln LSes will leave it in the dust. LOL!

>

> Stephen, I love Crown Vics and Marquises but my wife says they're too

> o big for her to park and maneuver now, hence the Lincoln LSes.

This is classic! Let me lead you by the hand into the fire DoNoHiO. LOL! WTF would you own a v6 mustang???

There are plenty of reasons to rip on Don, but I could see a 6cyl Mustang, his is a convert, I could see buying that, as open cars are either non-existent or super expensive, I had a 4 cyl stick shift fox body mustang convert, good mpg and a drop top, not everyone wants to race. Had it in my mind to do a 5.0 swap, but met a girl who loved that car, she "convinced" me to sell it to her super cheap, don't miss her, but I do miss the car, even though it was not at all fast. Convertibles are super fun, don't have to be fast to enjoy.

581474_608959979137214_678430306_n.jpg

Right, Jimmy! Mine's torch red and still turns heads when I drive into a car show or drive in restaurant. The `05-09 were retros of the 67/68 Stangs of old. Never fails to get compliments, even though I'm a year overdue for a buff and wax job on it.

Nice ride!

Thanks,Stephen! We love it! 103K on it now. (edited)

Its so weird how you can be so decent at times and so deluded at others, very nice car, I don't care if people hate on it, it's a convert, and you can maintain it, that's good stuff in my book. I try and see the best in everyone, you challenge me tough! :)

> The Dude Wrote:

> I miss my 85 t top 5.0. Bought it off a tweaker for 400 bucks because it

> didnt go into any gear. Was the selector ring on the shifter rails of

> the t5 trans was broke in half, 20 dollar part and was back on the road.

I drove one of those 302c.i. Mustangs,an 86, 124 mph and had not a clue I was going that fast until I looked down.

Guy said `keep going'!

It had plenty more. I told him no, that's fast enough. LOL!

I drove the Mercury one, with the bubble back glass, it was crazy fast.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> Its so weird how you can be so decent at times and so deluded at others,

> very nice car, I don't care if people hate on it, it's a convert, and

> you can maintain it, that's good stuff in my book. I try and see the

> best in everyone, you challenge me tough! :)

You'll learn ,Young-un! LOL!

Yes, I decided to get that lift when I had an extended cab F-150 creel over on me in my driveway. It just started to slide and I kicked myself out from under it.

My lift is not fancy. It is Chinese and 9000 lb. capacity( Titan brand). It's called asymmetrical design.

It only cost me around 1600 bucks when I picked it up in Cincy. I ALWAYS put safety stands under it while working. Couldn't afford a ROTARY or Worth or any other expensive brand, but it does the job. Even though rated at 9000, I will not go above 7000 lbs. on it.

Great price on the lift.

Yeah, they're higher now and more lightly built, according to the shipping weight they register. Mine was over 1600 lbs. Gotta get to bed now, Stephen. Great talking with you.

OMG! Don posted a picture! We are in the end times.

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> OMG! Don posted a picture! We are in the end times.

That misogynistic bastard did say the end was nigh.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account