Impact screwdriver, are they all that?

Got 3 Phillips screws I can't budge on my scooter, tried 18v drill etc, is an impact really that much better? Going to have to try heat if not, and would rather not go that route.

Re: Impact screwdriver, are they all that?

I learned this from youterb.

Take a ball peen hammer, round side to the middle of the Phillips head, and whack the back with another hammer (eye pro because you’re banging hammers together)

It hardens the metal, pinches the grooves together, and loosens the stuck threads.

Then, you take the biggest Phillips hex bit that will fit into the head of the screw and tap it into those tight grooves with a hammer. Put a wrench on it and turn while continuing to tap gently on the back to keep it seated.

I’ve used this method to get the brake rotor retaining screw off many Honda cars. It works very well there and anything else I’ve tried it on.

I rebuilt maybe 5 Hobbit motors without a JIS impact, every time I had to drill out at least 1 case bolt (usually 2-3) and replace with a hex head. I bought a couple of different sized JIS screwdrivers that are also impacts:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BGZ9CO/

and holy shit it's so easy to split Hobbit cases now, there's literally no possibility of me fucking up the case bolts.

I can get one or two case bolts off just using it like a screwdriver, and then the rest are stuck and a few hard hits of the hammer and they're off. I use these screwdrivers for everything, they kick ass, I can't recommend them enough. (edited)

Overpriced Parts /

If you can’t bang on it as hard like he said without busting something

Depending how big the head of the screw is you could take a small drillbit and put a small dent/shallow hole in the very side of the screw just big enough to get a small nail set and tap with the nail set almost like using a spanner wrench

Or like you would do with a slotted screw using the screwdriver by tapping it sideways just at the edge of the slot to get screw to spin, you can also cut a big groove in the screw to use a big screwdriver,

Of course prepare the screw by spraying Pb blaster type liquid

Cool, do you think a Korean scoter would use the JIS screws? (Hyosung) Engine is still on bike so hard to vice it, will grab an impact.

punkrock randy /

Impact drivers are all that. It’s just too hard to push in hard enough whilst turning. As long as you haven’t really started to mess up the screw. I like replacing that dumb shit with stainless button head hex bolts. Expensive, but just a lil at a time.

Angry Hipster /

Has anyone tried a "Shake N Break?"

I really like the vessel screw driver and impact drivers, but there are times I think just a JIS bit connected to a regular ratchet works better.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Cool, do you think a Korean scoter would use the JIS screws? (Hyosung)

> Engine is still on bike so hard to vice it, will grab an impact.

Even if it's not JIS, JIS bits work better in Phillips heads than Phillips heads do. Phillips are designed in such a way that they strip easily whereas JIS bits are designed to slip out without stripping.

I had an old USA made impact driver forever, but got stolen out of my trunk a while back. Keep meaning to replace it.

In the meantime, I use the manual method.

Get a good solid screwdriver that fits the slot, bang on the end if it with a hammer while twisting. If really stuck, twist both ways while banging and it'll come loose.

Doesn't work that well if you can't support the bike, or the engine, or whatever from falling over when whacking it with a hammer.

I use this thing, only cost like 10$ and hasn't failed me in the past 15 years.

IMG_20200821_165424.jpg

^ That's the kind I have seen, will be heading to Northern Hydraulics this weekend.

> Nick Haber Wrote:

> > Stephen Keller Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Cool, do you think a Korean scoter would use the JIS screws? (Hyosung)

>

> > Engine is still on bike so hard to vice it, will grab an impact.

>

> Even if it's not JIS, JIS bits work better in Phillips heads than

> Phillips heads do. Phillips are designed in such a way that they strip

> easily whereas JIS bits are designed to slip out without stripping.

Thank you!

Dirty30 Dillon /

The Vessel JIS impacts are amazing. 10/10 recommend.

Especially if you own any UJM's.

^ Thank you!

pneumatic, get anything or break the bolt trying. battery/electric impact drivers - pretty handy, better than me alone, you can put more pressure on

those bulky hammer ones, nice but typically oversized of motorcycle and moped stuff, more versatile cuz you can swap tips

and the vessel impacta? FUCKING AMAZING. I love that thing, one of my favorite tools. I've had so many bolts almost stripped stuck and ruined and i'm about to give up and that thing saves me like 95% of the time. it rules and is no bigger than a regular driver so it goes in my back and forth toolbag for shop days and home garage. it's been my regular bday gift to pals, it's an epic tool

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> I use this thing, only cost like 10$ and hasn't failed me in the past 15

> years.

> >

LOL! Too cool... Ive got the exact same one in a red case. I guess blue was a European color... Mine says T.A.T.; Thorsen Allied Tools. Ive had mine close to 30 years now. Honestly it works just as well as my high dollar Matco driver.

And yes Keller, they are gold when you need them...

15980457510951813177464744831749.jpg
15980458649691994667139939961629.jpg
moped-army-c1022a293b91fafc5b51694b132e7a9b.jpg

(edited)

Also, my hand held impacts have never failed unless the head of the fastener head was fubar'd before using one of these. In that case I just grab a dremel with a cut off wheel and cut a straight slot into the Phillips or jis head then use the straight bit to remove. (edited)

Got one like that, only has standard bits, auto parts store did not have JIS? Not sure if the screws even are, where did you all get JIS bits? Got to wait until tomorrow to try it.....stupid job...... :D

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Kroil it. .,.

kroil's awesome but pretty expensive, a lil 10 oz can costs more than that impacta and definitely has fewer uses. totally worth getting both I'd think, use the fancy sauce when it's real bad.

I just used an electric impact screwdriver the other day. It was the only way to fix my problem too. I was making a custom speedometer bracket and i had to take off my handlebars to drill out the bracket. I tried screwing back down my handlebar and the screws only went down about half way before i felt serious tension like the screws were going to either strip or break even with penetrating fluid. I tried the impact driver and it drove the screw straight down perfectly. I was seriously getting nervous thinking my frame was destroyed.

There should never be resistance to running a bolt down, until it is being torqued.

Handlebar mounts should have all the bolts started and brought down finger-tight evenly; then torque to spec.

If it was hard to turn, you either tightened one side too much before starting the other, which put unnecessary stress on the bolt, or it went in cross threaded.

If you ever “need” a power tool to get a bolt to thread, something is probably wrong. Unless it’s covered in old thread locker. I had to use a 2’ breaker bar to put a truck bed back on one time. Those are rare instances.

I hope your situation turns out okay. Just be very certain you’re right if you’re using force to start a fastener.

ugh when you're really trying to force one loose and it finally goes,, feels great and then immediately that feeling of success is so gut wrenchingly and instantly ripped away when you realize the bolt broke off instead of loose.

Usually, at that point, a snapped off bolt head is some kind of progress. Get the part out of the way and then deal with the mess. I’m not happy, but a little less frustrated than the moments before.

Every time a flywheel or clutch comes off, it does it with the “broken” sound. Still gets me.

Yeah, that V1 clutch "POP!" is a scary sound.

yea, my worst bolt fail in recent memory was an allen on an intake on this maxim xj650 I had last fall. It actually ran great, near perfect except a nearly unnoticeable stumble on hard accelerating from stops. Just needed new intake boots. easy right? 4 cyl. 4th and final boot, last of 8 total allen bolts, and crackkkko - wound up taking off not just the bolt but about 1/2 inch of the head that it screwed into. chunked the whole thing. had to replace the whole head.

fortunately a head was only 80 bucks

unfortunately a head gasket was 180

so 4 months, 400 bucks and countless hours later I finally restored it and got it sold in nearly the same condition as if I hadn't touched it at all.

Oh and one more plug for the vessel impacta - those thick hammer impacts cant fit tight spaces, the impacta goes anywhere a regular screwdriver does. I mean I got one of those hammer ones but had to pick up additional longer bits to reach in the weird case bots on stuff or whatever. I really love that impacta driver.

Update: The thing worked like a charm! (got one like Bas posted) AMAZING, how I have not owned one of these all these yrs is beyond me, got the fucking kick-start out of the engine and all buttoned up, but of course batt is not charged enough to crank the engine fast enough to start, (last ran June this yr) so got to dig up the charger, but that's for tomorrow, wrenched my back crawling around on hands and knees trying to force the air chuck onto this tiny tire with huge stem, this thing has been hack-jobed! :) Did get air in it, I hope it is a slow leak, I can't imagine trying to take the tire off this thing...! Impact FTW! Shit came out in 2 whacks, like butter! Thanks for all the advice!

So yours is in a blue case Stephen? I cant ever remember the tool failing me. Except when a jis or Philips was so fucked up I had to dremel a slot for a straight blade tip. Then it worked.

Nope, it's in a grey blow molded case, has same 4 bits from the look of it though.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> Nope, it's in a grey blow molded case, has same 4 bits from the look of

> it though.

Check my pic again and buy extra, assorted tips. I forget the size bit they are larger than most run of the mill tips for screw guns.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account