Suzuki TU250, Yay or Neh?

Pushrod Fifty /
20200713_154509.jpg

I just sold 2 of my Suzuki stinkers, A guy from CL came along and wanted both at asking price. My plan was to buy a TU250 as a replacement as I already have 2 mopeds and a 60s Motobi scooter for short rides. I like the looks of the TU and they are being discontunued, I may buy one and vintage it up a little. Any opinions on them? The plus is the the dealer registers it as compared to doing the VT mail-in and waiting a month, the CT DMV is a dead ringer at this point. Price with DMV fees and tax is $5100.00.

Re: Suzuki TU250, Yay or Neh?

You could probably find a used one a lot cheaper or like an older Honda rebel. See them all the time for the 1000-1500 ish

Pushrod Fifty /

Yea but I dont want to deal with another project right now and I like the fuel injection, dual seats and the huge headlight. Even the bars are cool.

20200713_154534.jpg

I like the looks of them. Only thing I dont like about the small 250 size bikes is that you are wringing the neck of the poor thing at highway speeds. I have almost got a buell blast many times because still can ride on the highway and still not a behemoth of a bike. But shit if you like it that is all that matters. Fuel injection would be nice. Be nice to have a bike you can depend on running well all the time.

I agree fuel injection and dependable runner matters. I myself just can’t spend 5k on a brand new 250 lol. Used to have a little ninja 250 that thing was solid. Bought it for 1k sold it for 1200

$5100 for a bike you can MAYBE sell for $2k next year if you're lucky? No thanks. I have had several Honda CB's, you can buy a CB200 in nice shape for $1500-2k and it absolutely will not let you down. Old Honda's don't break.

> Nick Haber Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> $5100 for a bike you can MAYBE sell for $2k next year if you're lucky?

Actually, these hold their value like crazy, so do the SR400s. I also don't agree that you're 'wringing it's neck' to go highway speed, they are counterbalanced and perfectly happy running 6k all day long. I had a ninja 250 as well, took a little getting used to running it for hours at 9k but didn't hurt it one bit.

I would say go for it, might even be able to get it on a crazy low interest loan, I know Honda was doing 0% a few weeks ago.

Pushrod Fifty /

I like the Buell Blast. I almost brought one. They are hard to find. I also looked at a Suzuki GS500 at the time, in 2003. I ended up buying the GS. I put 28K on it. I paid $4700 complete, out the door and sold it 8 years later for $2,000. The retail price was $4,000.00 so I got half of that back. I only had to replace tires, battery and fork seals the whole time.

The TU will hold its value, just like a Blast or a GS would because they are icons like mopeds, the smallest of the litter, basically training bikes for classes. The small bikes are being phased out as America gets fatter and gas gets cheaper, so the TU is only available as a 2019 leftover. There will always be cult collectors that will want them. I dont ride on the highway as I live close to my job.

The old Honda Twins are awesome, my CB160 never lets me down. Good to hear both the Yays and Nays! (edited)

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Nick nailed it. That bike will tank in value quickly... fastest way to loose $3k of your money. I know fuel injection is nice but my carbed 97 cb250 never has carb issues

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Is 2019 the only year for fuel injection? I really feel you could get a couple years older model with low mileage for half tbag. Why is the dealer wanting $5100 for last years model?

I'd rock that, but the price is way too high for me, for that money I'd get something bigger, buying new has it's advantages, but I'd look for one a year or two old, being fuel injected no reason it should become unreliable.

Pushrod Fifty /

CB250s are cool, is it a single carb?

I would probably keep the TU for 5 years at least and ride it year round.

Also I like the thumpers, they sound awesome. One bad point about the TU is that the tires are crap. I would probably get one year out of them and would replace them with some Michelins, but I can change them myself.

Pushrod Fifty /

Suzuki base price is $4649 but this dealer doesnt charge freight or setup, just tax and DMV 3 year registration charge.

I used that $2k number cause I've seen people trying to sell 2016-2017s in the past year for $2500 or so and getting no bites. Maybe it'll hold value better but who knows.

The cb250 Nighthawks have a single carb, are dead reliable and cheap. Same with rebel 250s (same motor). I bought a rebel 250 with a title that had been sitting for a year for $200. Bump started it and rode it home.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

All small 250cc's "starter" bikes seem to bottom out around $1k-$1500 range in good running but reasonable used condition. Less if beat or slightly more if well cared for. That bike might list at 4700 ish new but will be worth half that within 2 years. Being the last year tells me that they aren't in high demand or else Suzuki would continue them. Do whatever you want but I think Nick and I hate to see you waste that kind of money. I bet you could buy 2 nice used ones for that price... how's that for reliability?

I have nothing against the bike, its just a pricing thing. Plus if you had a highway commute I would recommend something bigger. My cb250 fights to hold 65-70.

Also, I love my cb250, but I also recognize that a ninja 250 would blow the fictional doors off mine. So if you want slow reliable go cb250, and if you want fast reliable go ninja. Not sure where the tu250 stacks in thag equation but I'm sure its faster than mine.

Pushrod Fifty /

I searched all of the NE on craigslist and no TU's came up. Been scouting them for awhile. They have been fuel inject since they came out.

Pushrod Fifty /

Small bikes are being discontinued year by year. The CB500 is phased out for the new CB650 4 cyl. SR400, gone. Stuff that I buy new I keep for awhile.

Not looking for speed or a highway cruiser, just a back road burner. The two 60s Suzukis I sold were great bikes but high maintenance. This bike would replace those two, and still be nostalgic enough for me.

Dirty30 Dillon /

The TU250 is a great bike, especially in the vintage-modern small.bore bracket, it really cant be beat.

Everyone talking about resale issues, try and find one in the NYC Metro area... These things hold their value very well as THE starter bike for anyone who dreams of a 70's CB but can't handle the upkeep.

Get one John, whether used or new, you'll sincerely enjoy it.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2606718222978387/

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/181045023351116/

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1412108119121290/ - not a TU250 but a Boulevard (I think they're called that) with 6 miles on it, 2017 for $1800

They aren't bad bikes, I see the appeal of buying new but for $5100 you could buy a new Honda CRF250L which are more appealing to me.

Pushrod Fifty /

I looked the bike over real well, its pretty well made and simple to work on. Simple screw tappet valve adjustment, chain adjustment, air filter and oil changes, easy stuff. Top speed is 75mph but I usually ride 50 to 60 max on some rural roads.

The Boulevard is cool but looks too much like a Harley design inspiration and handling probably not as good as the TU. Cruisers, inline fours, Sportsters, other big bore bikes can be brought pretty cheap. Not really into dirt riding and there arent alot of trails around here, but I have ridden my small bikes on trails that I have found out on the backroads but they usually end up in someones back yard.

solid bikes that look like a normal ass motorcycle. I personally wouldn't choose to spend 5k+ on one because I don't mind more regular maintenance on my every day bike so I'd buy something cooler used. MY do everything bike is a 2015 dr-z400s that I scooped for 3k in December. I put another grand in upgrading the brakes, new rubber, new fluids, air filter, and the valve shim kit.

in that price range the duke 390 gets you a much better bike. double the hp, way better suspension, brembo brakes, modern electronics including 3 modes of ABS, and a slipper clutch. (edited)

Pushrod Fifty /

Good point. Yea I like the RC390, its my favorate KTM, but its so close to my CB500 in style and I dont need the hp or the more intense upkeep from one. Sometimes I get a little crazy with the CB as it is nimble and forgiving but when you roll it on, it jumps.

An RC390, It may not be happy with slow rides through windy roads that I do as they tend to run hot and want to rev. I did a good looking at them before I went to the CB. One thing that sucks for me is that Im short and KTMs are tall bikes. Too tall for me to stand at a stoplight comfortably. The pricepoint was even less than the CB.

The TU would kind of round out my collection and be happy snailing along the backroads.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

The TU would kind of round out my collection and be happy snailing along the backroads.

You seem like you know what you want, so go for it. Just please beat that dealer up on that price. Remind them that its last years model and that you can get the superior RC390 for less. I would nick pic it stating all the things I would need to change to get it the way I wanted - talk about the crap tires, crap mirrors, or uncomfortable grips. And dont talk about how its the perfect bike for your interests!!!

Have you called other dealers? I really feel you should be able to get out the door for under $5k.

Pushrod Fifty /

I tried to get it lower and mentioned that the tires are lame but no budge and I guess I can see why, it is the lowest price bike and the comission isnt much on it. But at least he doesnt charge setup and freight and all those line item charges, which would be another 390.00.

definitely one of the more interesting modern bikes, in large part for not trying to be very interesting. at the moto shows it's one I most often come back to checking out

but i'm with the never new crowd. I kinda generally dislike new anything, cars, bikes house whatever just cuz it feels like a huge waste of resources. But beyond that, the cost of new is also a turn off, you pay a lot more for something new and as soon as you use it, it's not new anymore.

Regarding riding a little 250, I traveled far on my 1st 250 and my wife's got a ninja 250 we rode many thousands of miles, and it's got nearly zero work done to it

if you really don't want to do the work or want to avoid a project, even a few years old bike and paying a shop to service it would be cheaper and likely better than new.

I also personally kinda dislike nice things. I dunno, feels grimy. Nice things tend to just be expensive and boring.

That all said, that's me. my opinion. if yours is, I want a new bike and I want to pay to have a greater feeling of confidence in a bike untouched by others, sure, why not. If that's your style, own it and enjoy away

Pushrod Fifty /

I like working on my bikes and I still have a few project ones after selling the two Suzukis. I couldnt ever bring a bike to a shop when I can fix them myself and I dont trust mechanics. I dont regret buying the stuff I did buy new and like it when I can get alot if use out of it.

Larry Picarello /

Great bike.

Had one of the first ones available.

Added a rear rack & changed the countershaft sprocket for more relaxed highway riding.

Stupid to sell it but needed the cash at the time.

did ya get it? I'm curious now!

I'm even more skeptical spending thousands on the doorstep of likely major economic depression, but also wanna see what you think of it

Pushrod Fifty /

I put a down payment on it. Still waiting until Wed. when the buyer of my other bike picks up and pays the balance so its not a done deal yet. Should be picking it up on Thurs. if all goes well.

I might shell out $150. for some Haycon 830 round bar end mirrors but thats going to cpme from selling more stuff that I dont need first. Stainless steel, made in England. I know I know, stupid money for frivoulous mirrors, but they are the best Ive seen.

Depression can come anytime, for now, all is well. (edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Depression can come anytime.

80772536.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account