Re: WTF GM?

I mean on specs alone, whattabout a cyber truck, they look ridiculous in a way I can almost get on board with, and sometimes really love, but yea that'll pull a house.

Hey Blaine, ya ever see a serpentine belt fail, then wrap around the harmonic balancer and take out a front seal before??

20200907_175739.jpg
20200907_175747.jpg

And you keyboard mechanics like DoNoHiO need not reply. Thanks! I have google too! Google says its a common problem on BMW X3s. Just wondering from real world experience cause ya cant always trust the interwebs.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Hey. I remember this thread. Lol. I was just thinking about the last belt i had to dig out from behind the pulleys, and yeah, it was a bmw. Maybe the seal did get a little wrecked up, who knows. It wasn’t spewing any more oil than they normally do.

Here’s the motor from this chevy before i stuck it back in the hole.

AF0079A8-5C0C-414D-B331-C1CEBA51D216.jpeg

Haha! That should of said "Plumber Crack was here, fuck you DoNoHiO!"

The only cars I work on are the ones widows and poor people bring in. AND my own, which are pretty dependable.

Beamers are not likely to end up on my lift, but if they did, I'd research the proper forums and youtube before lifting it. You can always learn something from a good mechanic.

Of course, sad to say, that rules out Blaine. Anyone that can't be regimental about changing filters is not a good mechanic.

I will never buy a new car, they sure seem nice, but look how often you have to take the engine out of one? WTF? No wonder most of these end up in the yard so fast, who can afford that at today's shop rates?

New cars are TOTALLY over-engineered. They've gone sensor crazy..... Camshaft crazy, etc.

It's just fodder for parts throwers, making car repairs impossible to afford. Blech!

The only vehicles I ever pulled engines on were air cooled vw, unless I got the car with a blown engine and intended to replace it, now the engine has to come out for almost everything, timing chains and tensioners are shit, these should be lifetime items, car is more expensive new and needs more repair? Where is the "value" in that? I guess most lease them and leave the repairs for the second owner?

Timing chains and gears USED to be lifetime items,after the 60s. My boy just paid over 4 grand to get his Mustang engine pulled, when his rear timing gear CASSETTE failed.

He lives in Columbus, 85 miles away, or I woulda fixed it for him and saved a lot of money.

As it was, they hadn't told him to replace the oil filter directly after driving it a few miles. I made sure he replaced the oil filter immediately, since as hard as they try, they can never get all the debris out after parts fly apart.

It's running great now. Hope it holds up.

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ /

thats nothing new. late 90s

Well, i have the same engine in my Mustang, but I take a lot better care of cars than my boys do. Hopefully I'll never have to see the inside of my engine for a long time.

The thing about the modern OHC engines is, they take a 5W-20 a lot of times be cause the oil passages are small going to a component, such as a hydraulic tensioner. Heavier oil no longer means more protection because of that. Pointy-headed engineers doing their thing on the common mechanic.LOL!

> Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Hey. I remember this thread. Lol. I was just thinking about the last

> belt i had to dig out from behind the pulleys, and yeah, it was a bmw.

> Maybe the seal did get a little wrecked up, who knows. It wasn’t spewing

> any more oil than they normally do.

>

> Here’s the motor from this chevy before i stuck it back in the hole.

> >

This is on a Mercedes ML55 Amg. It didnt leak before and it poured when the belt took out the seal. The seal fell out into my hand after removing crank pulley. New seal has a tight fit into timing cover bore so worries there. I do want to polish the main seal wear surface on the harmonic balancer. Its not bad but could be better. Worst case scenario is have to take it apart and install a $33 sleeve repair kit and another $12 seal. Wtf not when I already spent $40 on a balancer holder to get the fucking bolt loose. Book says about 150 foot pounds. I bet it was 200+ foot pounds. (edited)

They don't want anything to be serviceable anymore. Don't repair just replace with new. They make more money that way. The farmers are going through some.crazy shit with their machines not being repairable and those are mostly Computerized now

Here we go. Girlfriend wanted me to just replace the front seal and not drop the oil pan. I said Norfolk'in way. Needless to say, she stfu when I showed her what I found inside. I just hope the full synthetic oil she runs saved it from any other damage. Was a very good running, strong, fast motor. We'll see...

Screenshot_2020-09-14-12-18-23.png
20200913_153210_HDR.jpg
20200913_170447.jpg

Looks like she fried that seal running LOW on that synthetic. I'd say you need to teach her RESPECT for the engine's lifeblood, its cooling and lubing fluids.

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> Looks like she fried that seal running LOW on that synthetic. I'd say

> you need to teach her RESPECT for the engine's lifeblood, its cooling

> and lubing fluids.

Don you like trying my patience dont you? You sound like a motor oil commercial. You could make Jesus Christ cuss if he even existed. That's not even remotely close to what happened. (edited)

kinda ironic that the same people complaining they don't make cars cheap to repair so they can eke more money out of you are the first to defend capitalism

Hook, line and sinker AGAIN Don! Like Blaine, I gave you enough info and pics that if you were any kind of quality mechanic you'd of figured it out. Dont be a keyboard mechanic. Anyone can attempt that.

To be a successful mechanic, one must first be an excellent detective Don.

Do ya need some glasses Dono???

rEaDiNiGiSfUnDuMbMeNtAL Donnie!

Looks like black, burnt oil to me. Of course I only have a pic.

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> Hey Blaine, ya ever see a serpentine belt fail, then wrap around the

> harmonic balancer and take out a front seal before??

> >

Classic!!! You're just like chump. Mouth wide open and eyes/ears closed! Thats on you!

rEaDiNiGiSfUnDuMbMeNtAL! Guess again!

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> Looks like she fried that seal running LOW on that synthetic. I'd say

> you need to teach her RESPECT for the engine's lifeblood, its cooling

> and lubing fluids.

You're not even good enough to work on lawn mowers LOL!

Yesterday an old friend came to He showed me his `NEW' 98 Buick. It was in very good shape, body wise.

After he'd visited a coupla hours, he started to go , but popped the hood as he wanted me to see how clean the engine was.

I noticed that the expansion tank had no Dex-Cool in it. Next thing I take off the radiator cap and there is no coolant you can see.

He wanted to drive it to Chillicothe and then home to Waverly and THEN put antifreeze in it(about 60 miles).

I said let's head for AutoZone in my car, Jerry. He's 82.

Probably saved his engine..

It was down over a half gallon to the full mark on the expansion tank.

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> Yesterday an old friend came to He showed me his `NEW' 98 Buick. It was

> in very good shape, body wise.

>

> After he'd visited a coupla hours, he started to go , but popped the

> the hood as he wanted me to see how clean the engine was.

>

> I noticed that the expansion tank had no Dex-Cool in it. Next thing I

> I take off the radiator cap and there is no coolant you can see.

>

> He wanted to drive it to Chillicothe and then home to Waverly and THEN

> EN put antifreeze in it(about 60 miles).

>

> I said let's head for AutoZone in my car, Jerry. He's 82.

>

> Probably saved his engine..

>

Until it looses the coolant again. It went somewhere but you mentioned nothing about looking for the leak.

> It was down over a half gallon to the full mark on the expansion tank.

Donnie, do you not see the chain driven oil pump fore? Aft chains are for both overhead cams. Once the timing belt wrapped around the crank pulley enough it forced its way past the seal. Oil pump chain just behind it pulled it on inside and chewed it to pieces. You are looking at pieces of serpentine belt NOT the front seal.

Just an over-engineered piece of junk that should have had the oil changed long ago.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account