Should we bury Craigslist?

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Im amazed by just how dead its been for the past year. I stopped harking it a couple years back but periodically check it and there is just nothing these days. I guess facebook really put a nail in that coffin.

Would anyone like to say a few words?

Re: Should we bury Craigslist?

I say good riddance.

All those online yard sales are time sucking waste of life.

Finding a good deal isn’t worth hours a day of your life.

I’ve seen too many people addicted to it.

Like, it’s just as bad as a chain smoking scratch off addict.

It does sting sometimes when I buy the best air compressor I can afford for $200 and then a guy I know gets a perfectly good $1000 unit for $150.

But I was outside, playing with my kids, talking to my wife, etc.

And the stuff I buy isn’t STOLEN.

Turning a blind eye to crime so you can get a brand new chainsaw for $45. Come on.

Craigslist looks so outdated i'm surprised people still use it. Maybe everyone is really nostalgic for websites that still look the way they did in the 90's?

They shot themselves in the foot when they decided to charge for car and motorcycle ads. That was the whole reason for the site was to find a beater to drive or ride.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I stopped checking CL. I got tired of dealing with the typical CL lowlife bottom feeders. Unfortunately, some of them have moved to FB now, but It’s still better than CL.

I like craigslist, mostly. I have an ad up for "vintage 50cc bikes wanted" and got my carabela, wards riverside 450SS, Lazer, yamaha trail master, Italjet Minarelli P6 race motor, and a bunch of obscure parts from that one ad.

Got a bunch of people trying to sell me their overpriced junk modern mopeds, too, but it's worth it.

Also just scored a rare 1962 (I think) Ducati Piuma 48 from Craig's. The sellers are in MA somewhere, and it was ten minutes from my house.

Plus I found an antique bicycle license plate for ten bucks that goes perfect with my bike.

I dont have Facebook so I cant use marketplace. This is the only social media use. I use Craig's mostly.

Actually I found my motron off cl, dude was nice to deal with. Also dont have social media so facebook is no go.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Actually I found my motron off cl, dude was nice to deal with.

I bought many bikes from craigslist. At one point you could refresh the buy/sell page after a few hours and find some new bikes of interest (cheap that is). Nowadays i can visit every couple of weeks and see the same 10 bikes listed. Its dead... atleast bike wise. Maybe for appliances and other misc stuff its still useful. I find facebook marketplace to be more annoying but certainly has more than CL these days. Im glad to be out of the bike buying business... now i just shop for what i actually want.

Anyone else notice dirt-bikes have skyrocketed in value?

No FB for me either, so CL works for me.

Found my LTD on there last year

Pushrod Fifty /

No facebook for me. It makes me sick to see people with their phone stuck in their hand reading a bunch of stupid shit and badmouthing others.

I have a garage full of craigslist find bikes and Ive sold a ton of stuff on on it with rarely an issue. I like a simple site. No popups or ads, dont change it. 5.00 is nothing for an ad.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

No facebook for me. It makes me sick to see people with their phone stuck in their hand reading a bunch of stupid shit and badmouthing others.

For what its worth i only have a facebook account so i can check out marketplace from time and again. But seriously speaking i rarely even do that. Buying less bikes has been very freeing for me, and my wallet. Im trying to focus more on what i have than what I dont. I cant stand facebook otherwise.

I did buy my son a Jeep powerwheel the other day off Marketplace. I think that was my first purchase from Marketplace. I see things pop up of interest but just dont bite often.

I hate fb marketplace. Look up moped and there's 200 harleys, a few trucks, a jacuzzi, some huffy's, and some water skis.

You have to be really specific, and that doesn't always work, either.

But I did find my Testi Grand Prix by searching "Minarelli."

sachs g4 project popped up today for $150...

Eric Davenport /

Just bought a running yamaha zuma for $100 off Craigslist monday

Dave Thacker /

some articles will come out scare mongering about Marketplace the everybody will run to Craigslist. So predictable.

facebook market's definitely easier. I still use both, get way more scammers on craigslist and easier interactions via the FB message system. That said, actually browsing on marketplace sucks cuz it's interjeced constantly ith sponsored garbage completely unrelated. I still perouse craigslist regularly but have definitely been selling more and not buying for the past year, and fb is genuinely better and easier.

They charge$5.00 a listing now Probably has something to do with it.

yea it gets rid of the shitty overpost flood posters, "dealerships" etc, but doesnt dent the shitty buyers. the cost doesnt phase me, the scammers have wrecked it pretty good tho

I listed my wards riverside 450ss on Craig's, and almost didn't because of the 5 bucks.

Sold it in a week for more than twice what I put into it, so it's all good.

Woulda been bummed if it didn't sell, though. Five bucks is almost a pack of smokes.

Why hasn't anyone in the US built a modern stuff selling website?

You can get tons of money for a fart app in Silicon valley, but something actually useful still doesn't pick up? Even Ebay is an antiquated piece of shit.

> Rick Shaw Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> They charge$5.00 a listing now Probably has something to do with it.

Yes and they are charging employers for help wanted too. Bury CL.

Amazon kinda dominates selling while sometimes aggressively crushing smaller vendors. The big ones get bough and incorporated or crushed. There were a buncha sales apps like offerup and letgo which hit most of the tick marls for simplicity that are the usual key sales points in apps but never managed the penetration thats needed for enough users to keep people coming back on. Facebook already has the people, and monetized it successfully. Ebay still works, they cant change the format too much without losing people, plus its easier tonfloat on and squash upstarts

I still use Craigslist to sell all my rebuilds. I get less stupid questions like "where are you" when it clearly states all over the ad where I am.

Most annoying is the stock questions generated by marketplace "is this still available"

That is a person that I feel is too lazy to actually come and buy the bike they just want to converse about things. I don't reply.

Kind of like the lazy entitled fucksticks that use the "quote" button on this site.

3...2...1... (edited)

Quote is handy, it makes replies work in flat vire which is pretty unanimously preferred. But man, if you quote a quote theres a problem

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> Quote is handy, it makes replies work in flat vire which is pretty

> unanimously preferred. But man, if you quote a quote theres a problem

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> > Born to be WillD Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Quote is handy, it makes replies work in flat vire which is pretty

>

> > unanimously preferred. But man, if you quote a quote theres a problem

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> > live ɘvil Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > > Born to be WillD Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > Quote is handy, it makes replies work in flat vire which is pretty

>

> >

>

> > > unanimously preferred. But man, if you quote a quote theres a

> problem

Like that? Haha

Rick Shaw

They charge$5.00 a listing now Probably has something to do with it.

Don't list your mopeds in motorcycles. List it in "Motorcycle parts".

As long as you have "Moped" in the title it will automatically come up when someone searches for mopeds.

Doesn't cost anything

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account