Before I ask a question here... are the douche trolls dead yet?

James Wolberg /

I’ve done a lot of reading here, researched posts (they are an absolute clusterfuck of information and trolling to go through), and done other research from other sources. before I actually ask a question to the gurus at large- are the dickheads dead yet? I don’t need to have endless insulting dumbass exchanges that lead to nothing, just looking for some insight. I have a Puch Newport L 1978 2hp that is in pretty mint condition. By my research on this site and others, I’ve learned a lot. I’ve been working on it a bit this summer, doing things in order, and getting stuff from treats (for like 10 yrs, but I rebuilt the motor and upgraded this year) I’d like to ask a few questions about timing and my setup, and I don’t want trolls on my string. Sooo... just asking... is it safe to have a conversation without all the egos involved? Thanks* Moved to this forum by grahammotzing

Re: Before I ask a question here... are the douche trolls dead yet?

James Wolberg /

Also, for the record, if we gotta lay out our dicks out all the time then I’m a very well educated researcher and professionally practice in the ceramics field if that means anything, so im hoping for legit answers instead of bullshit. My specialty is something else, but I am obsessed with getting my e50 motor to its capabilities and look forward to the forum’s advice if y’all could just get past being bullies. It’s kinda pretty really dumb. Not asking for mercy on being a newb, just want a real conversation and real info. I’ll post my specs and hope for the best I guess. ... by the way, why do genius people like #crazywayne always gotta be such douches? (edited)

Wesley Ambrosini /

What is the point of this post?

Ask your question bro.

James Wolberg /

Thanks for the reply, I’m just asking if people have lately been getting assaulted with bullshit trolling that doesn’t lead a conversation anywhere. I’ve gone down the rabbit hole here looking for advice and It seems that if people say one wrong thing then a bunch of members just attack them with senseless bs posts that don’t lead anywhere. Perhaps a lot of them are drunk posts, I dunno, but it’s not conducive to the MA website at large and it makes it hard to navigate, cuz there’s over 10 yrs of posts to negotiate. Then some guy gets an ego boner and trolls you because you haven’t spent 100 hours digging. The website/posting record needs some housecleaning.

Anyway, thank you for responding. My setup is this: 1978 Newport maxi, 2hp. Original Stock head, chamber, piston, and gearing. New rings- gapped appropriate. New treat bearings and seals- I got the expensive ones cuz why not, they’re only a few bucks more! I kept my stock crank in cause it looked pretty solid but maybe that’s a mistake. I don’t know how differently the ‘race’ or ‘super stuffed’ would perform- was hoping to find an article but no show. New spark wire, boot, plug- bosch b6. Proma GP pipe, sealed good, neighborhood looks at me w wonder. Upgraded to 15 Bing clone carb. 15 treats intake. 77jet at 3rd needle notch down. 78 was 4stroking regularly. Timing is @ 17-18, though I don’t have a timing light yet (ya- next paycheck). Clutch is treats 3-shoe out of box w springs adjusted to 1 turn in from flush. No air leaks, promise! I’m going 33 according to gps. That’s ok but I think meneeds 40. I’ve got pretty good takeoff and midrange but I want some more speed. Question is- do I just gear up, and what gears would you folks recommend? Or- am I already maxing out my stock hi torque cylinder/head? Thanks for any insight, let me know if more info would be helpful!

James Wolberg /

Oops, missed this- the clutch springs are treats ESO, one full turn in. They are pretty stiff, don’t think I need anything more

Wesley Ambrosini /

This is a dumb post and you deserve to get razzed for it. Not the tuning question but the huge preamble.

If the bike is tuned 100% perfect then 40 is definitely doable stock with a gearing change but the low end will probably be doo Doo. The 3 shoe is unnecessary I think. 1 turn in doesn't mean much. Get a fish scale and find out what amount of force it takes to open the clutch

Kitting will get you to 45 easy but the crank might die if you push it.

The main benefit of a new crank is that it has needle bearings which will last longer than a stock brass bushing that was never designed to go over 25-30 mph

Get a temp gauge before you buy anything else

James Wolberg /

Thank you Wesley. It’s not a dumb post actually- I’ve been looking at this site for 10 years and just wondering where the egos come from. In my little area of science (studied through the last 3000 years), we don’t Denigrate newbies that have questions. In fact, we generally are pretty forthcoming with information, and we have schools for them, mostly because it pushes the entity culture forward . My preamble was to dissuade douche egos from paying homage to their own ego on my silly little question about timing my puch. You ok w dat? I just want a conversation -without- people who are just here to make fun of newbies that are seriously looking for info.

James Wolberg /

Thanks for your advice Wesley, I appreciate it

James Wolberg /

Do you mean the bushing will die? Or the actual crank arm will break?

James Wolberg /

I’ll take some razzing for sure. As long as it points in the right direction and isn’t just silly bs.. I’d probably do the same for my own students

You sound like the controlling type.

Well....

That dog don't hunt

Maybe just make a ceramic e50.

And in the process of attempting to dissuade trolling, you're like a firefighter that is setting fires. Not like a controlled burn, more like throw gas on everything

So have fun, and good luck with this preemptive shield haha

And now after reading your bullshit, you seem like a total fucking tool. Ok now I'll stop

Hi don't mess with me you douche troll lol wtf

IMG_7885.JPG

Cool sink tho

tell me more about the ceramics! I was a alfred university grad in ceramic engineering, my wife was on the ceramic art side, it was a really fun mashup of some really intelligent artists and creative engineers.

as for the douchiness of the geniuses - when you've been around it for a long time you see a ton of people asking the same questions and when it's something you know with such clarity it gets frustrating that so many faceless names seem to get hung up on these same simple questions

to put another way, if you were to search a forum about how to avoid S cracks, there's probably a ton of info, some of it bad, some good. and often ignoring the relevant details of centering technique and instead talking about which clay etc or a bunch of myths about how or when to cut off the bat or whatever. So to the newb it seems a complicated clusterfuck and guaranteed there'd be some egos throwing out their absoute certainty of some specific trick thats "obviously right" cuz they threw 40 lb urns and they never cracked or whatever. while to the experts who are familiar it's just the same damn question AGAIN and the answer's obviously dependent on several variables yet still seems as familiar as breathing.

ALL THAT SAID. I dont think 33's unreasonable on a piped stock 2hp. I've seen some go faster and 40's a nice number to claim but less simple to actually get there... 35 is probably more typical, and you can get there at least with gearing if you're willing to trade lowend - sounds like youve got room to tune the clutch still and the proma's got decent midrange pull to recover some of your acceleration. so yea you could partly try to tackle it with gearing, or just upgrade the cylinder. You've already got the other performance parts upgraded enough, a cylinder's cheap and simple way to get low to mid 40s even just bolted on and tuned. throw a piston port 70 kit on, upjet and use all your other existing stuff and it'll be great.

the DMP 70cc kit from dos is only 70 bucks and would fit all your existing carb intake and pipe and run just fine with the stock crank and not even tryng to re-rebuild and casematch:

https://www.doscycles.com/products/puch-dmp-45mm-70cc-cylinder-kit?_pos=7&_sid=3658cfd37&_ss=r&variant=30874831618150

James Wolberg /

Hey jbot- nice trolling! Hehe. Yeah you found something I was published for awhile back. Good job for yer google skills, I can’t even find my own website. Yeh, I make sinks and tiling By hand and run an art center. Plus if you ask me nice I’ll cast some silver or bronze for yer ped. I hate seeing my face online tho.

James Wolberg /

Jbot- haha you trolled me! I only referred to crazywayne as an example of people with knowledge that just are being a dick on the site and not freely sharing knowledge. Thanks for spending the energy to look me up tho. You should also look up plainsart.org to see where I do stuff, you’ll probably like it. I’m the studio manager there... it’d be neat if we could do custom metal casting stuff for peds... silver, bronze accoutrements or mebbe aluminum replacement parts when I get to it. I’m kind of a mold making guy too.

why are you on here in the middle of the night tho

James Wolberg /

Hehe, because I don’t have to go to work tomorrow and I’ve been hanging out with my ped... and some other characters.

James Wolberg /

Howbout you? You seem to be an hour later than me sir

James Wolberg /

Thank you for your clarity- we can discuss ceramics in another way😂😂not on this forum

James Wolberg /

Hehe, I get the collegial smartass attitude with this forum, it’s just not how I explain physical/chemical/thermal science to my newbs. They 90% just normally walk away sad and disenchanted and alienated If ya talk to them like that and don’t want to talk To ya anymore. So, total fail as a knowledgeable citizen who cares about their passion and passing it on. I prefer to be open and engaging and pass on as many links as they need to get info. When ppl are dicks, well... they’re just that, no more.

damn, another useless annoying post go away to off topic please.

And post some pots pots pots ceramics, muddy glaze, kamphoras, red on black, milk jugs, who doesn't like a good milk jug... there must, be expert advance engineers who make ceramic milk jugs, how elese can u teach fragile weak 5yr olds to heave 10lbs into a small cup without spilling. Perfect design that instills muscle coordinatio and percision with grace and a yelling if u f up. Tighten yr springs.

James Wolberg /

Lol, I was asking about my setup, that one dude creeped on me and found an image that was published about my ceramic career in the news. No one is a dick about ceramics, unless they’re actually a dick. They know their knowledge didn’t come from their belly button, it came from knowledgeable people before them who cared to teach.... maybe this thread is about not being a dick on this website that’s supposedly for education and communication. Is there a forum on this site about not being a dick? lol!! Read the actual specs silly. Edit- I will tighten my springs a lil, but I’m taking off pretty good... wondering about top speed w/out more modding besides gears. Thanks! (edited)

James Wolberg /

Lol, was that supposed to be embarrassing? Not sure... anyway, thanks for the link and the compliment bro.

James Wolberg /

Here’s not a pot- it’s a hot tub surround. You can do other stuff w clay toooooo. Thanks pat and jbot for the distraction! If you’d like to look up more you can. It’s easy, the Inerweb is magical. tps://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=104186102959456&id=100001042003956&set=a.104182982959768 (edited)

James Wolberg /

Jbot n Pat- Yer funny. In a dumb concrete worker way. It’s cute how you try to throw insults when Ur not even a productive part of the conversation -like the ugliest baby cute. I guess I’ll try to look your profile up now if I get some extra time on the shitter🧐. Lol! Dude- I asked a question (edited)

James Wolberg /

This is an example of useless trolling that propagates the website. Eat it🤣

hit the flat view at the top u nut

Please click flat view.

Also, there’s plenty of douchebaggery here to go around. Ya just gotta put up with it, and have a thick skin. They’re gonna do what they’re gonna do. After you’ve been around a while they might let up. Probably not.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account