DEATH!!! The Pandemic is REAL!!! Don’t Die!

Re: DEATH!!! The Pandemic is REAL!!! Don’t Die!

Just a little funniness for your Friday.

LOL!

40,000+ people die every year, just in the US, from traffic crashes. Half of that is alcohol related.

Maybe a teeny tiny percentage of that is mechanical failure or medical emergency. Every other death is completely avoidable.

I was kinda surprised that corona got such a huge response but nobody thinks twice about hitting the road.

I know it’s apples and oranges. I’m not saying we shouldn’t have quarantined or anything crazy.

What I am saying is why haven’t we increased driver training difficulty? License requirements? Punishments for DUI should be life crushing enough to deter any offenders. Speeding fines for extreme speeding should require a bank loan and license suspension for years.

I have friends and family that have died on the road. This topic gets me fired up because of that.

Half the population of the Eastern US can't drive worth a hoot. They hardly ever use their turn signals and JUMP OUT in traffic, making you brake, or turn short i n fron t of oncoming traffic, which HAS killed many a MC or moped rider.

Yes, I'm in favor of taking a new drivers test every 5 yrs..

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Yes, I'm in favor of taking a new drivers test every 5 yrs..

Im sorry Don, but screw that idea.

I think an actual skill test. Like precision driving training. Something to prove that people have developed skills for driving. Not just an ability to get a car rolling.

Probationary license until age 25. With tons of restrictions.

I know we are a car culture and young Americans driving cars is a big deal. Don’t want that to go away. Just want 16 year olds to prove they got what it takes.

Skills diminish over time. Refresher training should be done every 5-10 years but it shouldn’t cost the license holder extra. Just be a part of registration at that interval.

Professional drivers are trained harder and tested annually. And... they are usually the safest drivers on the road.

The world is making changes. Airport security is a huge hassle. But, I’d gladly strip naked and stand in line for an hour if it means my flight doesn’t have any incidents.

Bad drivers kill too many. Driving, as my parents always said, is a privilege. Not a right.

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yes, I'm in favor of taking a new drivers test every 5 yrs..

>

> Im sorry Don, but screw that idea.

Tell me WHY, Jimmy. I'm all ears when someone talks sense. LOL!

Papasays: `Probationary license until age 25. With tons of restrictions.

I know we are a car culture and young Americans driving cars is a big deal. Don’t want that to go away. Just want 16 year olds to prove they got what it takes.'

Nah, I can't go along with that. Probationary until 18,yes. Then they can be drafted and sent to war, which should keep them from being a lesser citizen, with stricter laws on themselves.

Skills test is asking too much. Just give them a regular driver's test with a patrolman and they have to pass it.

Quit giving out drivers' licenses to illegal aliens also.

Skills test is NOT asking too much, no one says you have to have formula 1 skills, but you should not take your hands off the wheel and cover your eyes if your car skids a little, ( have seen this multiple times) you should know if your vehicle is fwd, rwd or awd and what the handeling charisterictics of each are. If caught using your phone while driving automatic 6 month suspension of DL and $500.00 fine first offence, 1 yr and 1k fine for each thereafter. Non-negotiable in court if convicted. National traffic laws, so everyone is on the same page, speed limits could vary by location and terrian of course. Yearly vehicle inspection to include tire and brake quality. Proven to be the cause of an accident? 6 mo dl suspension and 1k fine. Non-negotiable. People need to pay attention when driving, and the only thing people in this country pay attention to is convienience and their bank balances.

And to the other statement about 18 and going off to war....

We know that the human brain isn’t fully mature until around age 25. 18 YO boys probably shouldn’t be fighting wars.

I’d say raise the min enlistment age to 25 but I know that can’t work. The military can barely find enough qualified candidates at 18. Because high schoolers nowadays are committing felonies and getting face tattoos. They are waivering all sorts of stuff to keep the jobs filled. But, from my personal experience, 18 year olds now are not like the 18 YO of 20 years ago. They are more like the mental and emotional age of 12 year olds. Sorry, but that’s true and I don’t mind getting MA mad at me to say it.

So that means, by my crazy math, the average 16 YO right now is about as competent a driver as a 10 YO from 20 years ago. It shows. They crash into everything and destroy cars, and fixed objects, like a tsunami under a hurricane with tornadoes coming out of it.

punkrock randy /

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> Half the population of the Eastern US can't drive worth a hoot. They

> hardly ever use their turn signals and JUMP OUT in traffic, making you

> brake, or turn short i n fron t of oncoming traffic, which HAS killed

> many a MC or moped rider.

>

You’re old as F, they’ll take your license soon enough

Papa said: ` 18 year olds now are not like the 18 YO of 20 years ago. They are more like the mental and emotional age of 12 year olds. Sorry, but that’s true and I don’t mind getting MA mad at me to say it.

So that means, by my crazy math, the average 16 YO right now is about as competent a driver as a 10 YO from 20 years ago. It shows. They crash into everything and destroy cars, and fixed objects, like a tsunami under a hurricane with tornadoes coming out of it.'

Truer words were never smoked.LOL!

> Papa _ Wrote:

> And to the other statement about 18 and going off to war....

>

> We know that the human brain isn’t fully mature until around age 25. 18

> YO boys probably shouldn’t be fighting wars.

>

> I’d say raise the min enlistment age to 25 but I know that can’t work.

> The military can barely find enough qualified candidates at 18. Because

> high schoolers nowadays are committing felonies and getting face

> tattoos. They are waivering all sorts of stuff to keep the jobs filled.

> But, from my personal experience, 18 year olds now are not like the 18

> YO of 20 years ago. They are more like the mental and emotional age of

> 12 year olds. Sorry, but that’s true and I don’t mind getting MA mad at

> me to say it.

>

> So that means, by my crazy math, the average 16 YO right now is about as

> competent a driver as a 10 YO from 20 years ago. It shows. They crash

> into everything and destroy cars, and fixed objects, like a tsunami

> under a hurricane with tornadoes coming out of it.

^ This is true of many people that age, but certainly not of all of them. In my eyes it is more of a sociatal problem where personal responsibility is not instilled in people the way it once was.

Yeah. I shouldn’t have made that sound so absolute.

I’m sure there’s tons of good drivers in the youngest generation.

My personal perspective is based on what I have observed. And the kids around me are dangerously bad drivers.

One said he never took drivers ed, failed his drivers test, but the person still passed him. Some kinda “no driver left behind” thing.

indeed it is all about responsibility, I could operate a tractor at 11 so I could tedder the hay, thats a kids job because at that age you are too small to throw hay bales. I was also permitted to drive the truck to Barkleys store in the village to fetch provisions. Not necessarily legal but if you dont hit anyone or anything with the truck and drive politely then no one gets in trouble. So I learned to be responsible to drive errands very early and it stuck with me.

To arse around in one of the old cars, you could do that on a field that was going to be left to fallow (as long as you did it before they disc'ed the field) but make sure you do not roll the car or wreck so there is spillage of gas, oil, antifreese or people (dont want to ruin a good field). Lots of times the old cars needed more than a little tinkering just to run, so that would keep us busy and out of the way for a few days.

But things change and time marches on, not fair to compare todays way of things to the past. No need to teach that sort of responsibility to kids anymore, and even if, most kiddos are brought up by daycare, babysitters, teachers and other strangers, so there is no consistency in the upbringing.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> ^ This is true of many people that age, but certainly not of all of

> them. In my eyes it is more of a sociatal problem where personal

> responsibility is not instilled in people the way it once was.

Papa said: ` Some kinda “no driver left behind” thing.'

LOL! Yeah, just dead mopeders left behind. Sad,but true...………….

> Rebel Moby Wrote:

> indeed it is all about responsibility, I could operate a tractor at 11

> so I could tedder the hay, thats a kids job because at that age you are

> too small to throw hay bales. I was also permitted to drive the truck

> to Barkleys store in the village to fetch provisions. Not necessarily

> legal but if you dont hit anyone or anything with the truck and drive

> politely then no one gets in trouble. So I learned to be responsible to

> drive errands very early and it stuck with me.

>

> To arse around in one of the old cars, you could do that on a field that

> was going to be left to fallow (as long as you did it before they

> disc'ed the field) but make sure you do not roll the car or wreck so

> there is spillage of gas, oil, antifreese or people (dont want to ruin a

> good field). Lots of times the old cars needed more than a little

> tinkering just to run, so that would keep us busy and out of the way for

> a few days.

>

> But things change and time marches on, not fair to compare todays way of

> things to the past. No need to teach that sort of responsibility to

> kids anymore, and even if, most kiddos are brought up by daycare,

> babysitters, teachers and other strangers, so there is no consistency in

> the upbringing.

>

> > Stephen Keller Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > ^ This is true of many people that age, but certainly not of all of

>

> > them. In my eyes it is more of a sociatal problem where personal

>

> > responsibility is not instilled in people the way it once was.

As always, well said, but I still think there is room for personal responsibilitiy in todays world, especially with regards to driving, it's not a video game, your actions behind the wheel can have a very real effect on others lives. I can't say I have been perfect in this regard, pretty awful when younger, but I had been taught, so at least I was aware I was doing wrong, today many think whatever they do is ok, and that is really scary.

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> Half the population of the Eastern US can't drive worth a hoot. They

> hardly ever use their turn signals and JUMP OUT in traffic, making you

> brake, or turn short i n fron t of oncoming traffic, which HAS killed

> many a MC or moped rider.

Speaking from your experience they must all be in oHiO.

You would say that and then belly ache about the associated fees, time and inconvenience.

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> > Don Ohio Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Half the population of the Eastern US can't drive worth a hoot. They

>

> > hardly ever use their turn signals and JUMP OUT in traffic, making you

>

> > brake, or turn short i n fron t of oncoming traffic, which HAS killed

>

> > many a MC or moped rider.

>

> Speaking from your experience they must all be in oHiO.

>

> > Yes, I'm in favor of taking a new drivers test every 5 yrs..

>

> You would say that and then belly ache about the associated fees, time

> and inconvenience.

I don't bellyache about making roads safer.

Besides, what does it matter if people bellyache as long as they are still alive to do it?

I love/hate this guy - he does a great job catching on to current trends and poking holes in it, and it's funny, it's great cuz that's what comedy should do!

but i HATE that we have to be here discussing why the joke is or isn't funny because there are LOTS of people who will absolutely miss the joke and seriously be actually dumb enough to say "LOL! car accidents kill people so we shouldnt worry about a pandemic ALSO KILLING LOTS MORE PEOPLE IN ADDITION"

Like this is a joke. Covid is not a joke. I really wish people had an easier time making those distinctions...

Also cuz I like the discussions - I disagree it's just a skill issue causing driving deaths.

it's largely distractions. and sure certainly phones makeup newspapers are some obvious ones, but the less obvious ones are the distractions in your head.

I've crashed a LOT of cars. I crashed because of a loose wire in the speedo that distracted me from the road one night. I crashed once from bad brakes and from not seeing something below my view while reversing. I crashed from a giant patch of ice at the bottom of a hill. I crashed from a pile of snow thrown by a plow truck in front of me on the interstate and I crashed turning in front of a cra because i was thinking about the moped i was going to buy and not what the hell i was doing in the moment.

Better/tougher/more regular driving testing, stricter adherence to the laws, removing phones and physical distractions would have helped in exactly zero of the many accident's i've been involved in.

also for posterity i'd point out that if 1/50 people died of driving and we had no way to prevent people from driving except keeping them home, yes this would be an apt comparison.

and further to point out that it's most often not the person going out spreading this virus who suffers. The lockdowns are about not recklessly endangering others for your own convenience. You know what's a better comparison? drunk driving. don't go recklessly endangering other people's lives even if you're "sure" you'll probably make it out to the bars and back home without killing someone. that's a selfish dick move.

However you're allowed to drunkenly joke about how you'd be fine goin out, or how people die in cars anyway, (i.e. props to this comedian for the jokes) but still - please dont go actually being that selfish asshole that does it.

It is a "joke" video I know, but I'd bet the families of the 100 k dead people don't find anything funny about it at all. Maybe I'm just getting old, but a lot of what people seem to find funny today is just stupid to me? Things like any austin powers movie, dumb and dumber, jackass etc....it's just stupidity but that's what people seem to like. Doesn't say much for the national IQ, but look who's president..... Whaever, I'm done giving a shit.

You’re right.

I love Idiocracy because it’s a hilarious social satire.

Some day soon, it will only be funny to people because they say “ass” a lot.

I think we are already there.

"Some place warm, a place where the beer flows like wine, where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talking about a little place called Aspen.”

“I don't know Lloyd, the French are assholes…”"

That was no shit one of the funniest lines in any movie i can think of. and it's dumb and dumber, and it's got layers upon layers of clever hidden in the guise of the incredibly stupid, and I would argue it's actually deeply genius.

But to the original video posted - in a very seinfeld-esque way he's pointing out the silliness of everything going on around us, and i think that's an important piece of comedy - it gives a voice to this frustration or uncertainty we have, points out how silly it can all seem, and gives us a simplified narrative we can laugh at. when we always have to take so much so seriously, to have a chance to step back and laugh at it is important, AS LONG AS WE CAN STILL APPRECIATE THE SEVERITY. and those jokes can be made with love and in a way I hope that still says, yes - this is important and I am with you.

But to your point, it's why i sometimes hate this guy - because he, and much moreso the folks sharing his jokes are doing it not with tongue in cheek good nature and empathy but actually intending to diminish the case against why we SHOULD actually care; and in that I definitely see your frustration stephen

Satire is just as often crude and insensitive as it is subtle and clever.

Art is subjective right?

One person’s “genius” is another person’s “ass-clown with a web cam”.

Overpriced Parts /

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> I think we are already there.

Maybe you are but 90% of USA that you never saw your entire life will never be!

Get the hell out and see our country for chrissake your opinions are like apartment Peeps in a city that don’t go out and don’t do nothing except look at the Internet or MSM!

If things were different where I live and or had the money I would take thousands of your Dumb opinionated people, pay for you to see what USA life is really about,

Keep complaining and don’t visit the rest of USA you silly people !

There are so many things in the world right now that demand our seriousness, and we must not neglect those. But it’s important to balance life with humor, if it can be done without being at someone else’s expense. I think this guy is pretty okay at that. I can only take small doses of him. Of comedy, really. And although he will obviously offend some, he doesn’t actually disparage anyone or group. One can find humor in his satire, no matter ones stance on the issue. But I understand how it could be an irritant in fresh wounds, and a lot of people are healing right now. Or trying to.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account