Need my Marantz Receiver fixed...

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Anyone out there fix vintage stereo receivers? I blew out the left channel in my ‘70’s vintage Marantz 2230 Stereo receiver. The left internal amp has blown after 45 years of ownership. I love this stereo and desperately want it repaired. If you, or someone you know, repairs vintage stereos, please message me directly. Thanks!

Re: Need my Marantz Receiver fixed...

Overpriced Parts /

Though I hate fleesebay there’s a bunch of parts and complete receivers available for not too much money (one for 268$) as well as a complete restoration service available for $350

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2545226.m570.l1311.R11.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xmarantz+.TRS0&_nkw=marantz+2230&_sacat=0

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Thanks Ken! I have seen those ads. A bit pricey for me at this time. I’ve owned this receiver since It was virtually new. I am so mad at myself for pairing it up with too powerful of a speaker, and then blowing the internal amp. It was all my stupid fault for not checking the wattage before I paired them up with my beloved receiver. Oh well....

Thanks again!

I kinda work on old radios.

Amps need impedance matched speakers.

Quite often transistors go bad and are easy to replace if you can solder.

Look for the transistor on your amp for physical defects.

I don’t really get to do much “work” cause nowadays we swap cards and assemblies instead of component repair.

But it’s pretty simple stuff.

Google the components to see on your amp and how to test them. I bet you can fix it.

And get a speaker with matched impedance. Lots of home stereo equip I remember seeing was 4 or 8 ohm.

Overpriced Parts /

> Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks Ken! I have seen those ads. A bit pricey for me at this time.

> I’ve owned this receiver since It was virtually new. I am so mad at

> myself for pairing it up with too powerful of a speaker, and then

> blowing the internal amp. It was all my stupid fault for not checking

> the wattage before I paired them up with my beloved receiver. Oh

> well....

>

> Thanks again!

It prolly wasn’t the wattage, The wattage is what this speaker can handle, the minimum wattage is next to nothing on most speakers,

it could have been incorrect and or miss matched ohms/impedance, if you have a set of 8 ohm speakers and you add another set of 8 ohm speakers you now are @ four ohms if you add four ohm speakers to an eight ohm circuit that’s bad too.

It could just be blown output transformer and times they have a fusible link that could be blown also which is a easy fix.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Based on my research, I’m pretty certain I blew out the left internal amp. I think you’re right regarding the ohms mismatch issue. I had no idea that speakers could blow out a receiver. I always thought it was the other way around. I paid the price for my ignorance. I looked for internal fuses, but there were none. I was hoping it was just a blown fuse, but that’s not the case.

Thanks again for the help!

Yeah.

The driver is sending an AC signal that needs to be caught by a matched load. If the load isn’t taking it all, some of that power gets reflected back at the amp.

It will also sound better.

It’s broke already. Don’t be shy about taking it apart and trying some trouble shooting.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

What I don’t understand is that the right channel is still perfectly fine with the same speaker. I have since disconnected the speaker for fear it could damage the right amp. I have a more powerful receiver back in my garage in Jersey. I’ll bring it back with me to VA next weekend.

Thanks for the explanation! You confirmed my worst fears. I am going to find a professional to repair it. I am an ignoramus when it comes to electronics.

Jimbo Grand Daddy /

Yep. I just had to replace the amplifier on my Miller & Kreisel Volkswoofer, because my less than intelligent self put a 4 ohm speaker on an 8 ohm circuit. It worked quite well like that for a number of years, until ot didn't.

You can put an 8 ohm load on a 4 ohm circuit and it will work fine. You just don't want to go lower.

So you know how nice vintage Marantz stereo equipment is,

but you don’t like mobys, I’m sorry but that’s messed up. :o)

Overpriced Parts /

> - rwc - Wrote:

> So you know how nice vintage Marantz stereo equipment is,

>

> but you don’t like mobys, I’m sorry but that’s messed up. :o)

Listen larry is like me, Mobys absolutely sucked, before the Internet because the carburetors sucked! the switches sucked ,and electrical strap connection sucked,

Larry like me got burned several times With mobys but now with Moped army and the Internet yes all that stuff can be fixed But the back in the day late 70s Early 80s it wasn’t Able to be so it left A bad taste in my mouth!

Even nowadays the last few rides with a few people Who brought motobecanes To ride out here in my open riding area they all died and I had to do Dubs On my Super reliable magnums ruining my rear rack and fender,

The Moby‘s were on the side of the road dead From gremlins From who knows what,

There’s only 3 Belt drive bikes I will ever have Anything to do with and that’s a stretch too at best and that’s derby, Honda and Morini, i’ll take a TCM Peugeot but only to flip it get one of the best reliable mopeds PUCH 2 Speed Magnum !!

Pushrod Fifty /

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Left side power is prolly a burnt out capacitor right after the dc transformer there are usually 3 for each side run a meter on em. It may have been a surge they always went. Bad.

I've seen shield bugs vaporize themselves on ht circuits

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Ken nailed it. I owned a brand new motobecane 50L back in 1977. It was in the shop at least once every two weeks. It was a POS back then, and in its stock configuration, still a POS 40 years later. I’m just glad that people are able to address their weaknesses because of this forum. As for me, I’ll stick with Puchs and minarelli V1 powered Italian peds.

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> > - rwc - Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > So you know how nice vintage Marantz stereo equipment is,

>

> >

>

> > but you don’t like mobys, I’m sorry but that’s messed up. :o)

>

> Listen larry is like me, Mobys absolutely sucked, before the Internet

> because the carburetors sucked! the switches sucked ,and electrical

> strap connection sucked,

>

> Larry like me got burned several times With mobys but now with Moped

> d army and the Internet yes all that stuff can be fixed But the back in

> the day late 70s Early 80s it wasn’t Able to be so it left A bad taste

> in my mouth!

>

> Even nowadays the last few rides with a few people Who brought

> motobecanes To ride out here in my open riding area they all died and I

> had to do Dubs On my Super reliable magnums ruining my rear rack and

> fender,

>

> The Moby‘s were on the side of the road dead From gremlins From who

> knows what,

>

> There’s only 3 Belt drive bikes I will ever have Anything to do with and

> that’s a stretch too at best and that’s derby, Honda and Morini, i’ll

> take a TCM Peugeot but only to flip it get one of the best reliable

> mopeds PUCH 2 Speed Magnum !!

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Thanks for the link! I think I found someone in south jersey I that can fix it. Fingers crossed.

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> http://shorelineelectronicsrepair.com/

>

> Clinton, CT

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Thanks! I’m hoping it’s something that is relatively easy to fix. I know squat about electronics, so I’m gonna farm it out to someone who knows what the hell they're doing.

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> Left side power is prolly a burnt out capacitor right after the dc

> transformer there are usually 3 for each side run a meter on em. It may

> have been a surge they always went. Bad.

>

> I've seen shield bugs vaporize themselves on ht circuits

Hey Larry, post a picture of the back of the receiver. Marrantz had two iterations of the 2230, I just want to know if it's the one I'm familiar with before I offer to help.

Gosh I don't even know if that's a good idea....I'd repair it for free but shipping would be brutal, I live in Washington...

When you say that you blew it, what EXACTLY, happened? Did you hear a loud pop? Or it just quit working? Smoke? Smoke is good! Where's the problem..

....right there!

I mostly work on tube equipment and only get solid state gear every once and a while.... but man these marrantz recievers must have flooded the Seattle market because I've worked on at least 10 in the past 5 years.

It is certainly reparable if it's giving you sound outta one channel...main failure rate on these In my experience is the main power transformer..pretty much unobtainium to find a replacement without exceeding the cost of a new recoever..and I'm not designing a switch mode for one of these lol.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /
FB526637-4492-49EE-827D-7D8F7457CAD8.jpeg

Aaron, There was no smoke, just a loud pop and very high pitch static from the left channel. Thanks!

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> Hey Larry, post a picture of the back of the receiver. Marrantz had two

> iterations of the 2230, I just want to know if it's the one I'm familiar

> with before I offer to help.

>

> Gosh I don't even know if that's a good idea....I'd repair it for free

> but shipping would be brutal, I live in Washington...

>

> When you say that you blew it, what EXACTLY, happened? Did you hear a

> loud pop? Or it just quit working? Smoke? Smoke is good! Where's the

> problem..

>

> ....right there!

>

> I mostly work on tube equipment and only get solid state gear every once

> and a while.... but man these marrantz recievers must have flooded the

> Seattle market because I've worked on at least 10 in the past 5 years.

>

> It is certainly reparable if it's giving you sound outta one

> channel...main failure rate on these In my experience is the main power

> transformer..pretty much unobtainium to find a replacement without

> exceeding the cost of a new recoever..and I'm not designing a switch

> mode for one of these lol.

Yup, I'm familiar. It has the muting level pot. I'll head downstairs at some point today and pull the schematic...never dealt with this issue though. But it is common on well, everything that old.

Static could mean the amp is still working, you just lost signal somewhere. Probably an electrolytic cap went poof, that would correlate with the pop.

If you feel comfortable, open it up. Should be four screws on the bottom and the metal case will slide off the back. If it was an electrolytic you would visually see signs of soot on the bad cap, it might oven be split open.ha. might also have soot on the case above it, treasure map to the component.

Have you tried all the inputs to see if you get anything from the others? Were you on the tuner when it went? Or the tape input?

Honestly though, if I were you and not looking to go deep into a project like this,Just go with the guy. It's a serviceable reciever and I'm certain that you won't have any issues getting somebody locally...well, more locally than me anyway. : )

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Aaron, I have visually inspected the innards of the receiver and can find no traces of burning, soot, etc. When it blew, it was on “tape“ mode. I haven’t tried any other inputs. The reason it’s on tape is because I hooked up a Bluetooth Receiver so I could listen to SiriusXM on my receiver. It worked perfectly until it blew. Like I said, the right channel works just fine.

Let me see if the guy in south jersey gets back to me. I’m still waiting for a reply from him. Thanks for your help!

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I just checked the other inputs and there’s nothing on the left channel. Right works fine. I even used a less powerful speaker.

Pushrod Fifty /

Hope you can fix it. The old stuff was well made and put out excellent sound. I had a Pioneer receiver and amp set, walnut case, beautifull pieces, paid $20.00 at a thrift shop. Had Polk Audio speakers that I brought, CD changer, turntable, dual cassette deck. The whole stack was 3' high.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I paid $75 for it in 1978. My younger brother and I rode on my ‘78 Garelli to get it. I had the 1.5 long seat, so there was room enough for him to sit in the back. He held the receiver for about 10 miles to our house. Good times....

♣Slew Foot♣ /
20200603_125551_HDR2-1marbak.jpg

LARR...

I HAVE THAT...

I. own one I don't use serious.

I never hooked it up I use my old 60's era pioneer head and a 80s recording board add a 70's state of art PA speakers

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Electronics is more like detective work. Jewlers loop magnifying glass

Look for burnt stuff broken solder points wires pinched Jack's switches faults.

I worked at a repair place 7 years in the90s

It may be a parts donor.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

This is 90ish

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

What receiver is that a pic of? The back of mine is totally different. If you have a working 2230, I would buy it from you. Let me know. Thanks!

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Grab it on the way to va

Free.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I can’t see any evidence of damage or burnt pieces anywhere inside my receiver.

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> Electronics is more like detective work. Jewlers loop magnifying glass

>

> Look for burnt stuff broken solder points wires pinched Jack's switches

> faults.

>

> I worked at a repair place 7 years in the90s

>

> It may be a parts donor.

There is one fore sale on Catawiki but the price is pretty ridiculous.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account