Chiropractors... Are they real?

My wife and I are a good example of “opposites attract”.

She went to a chiropractor today and was spewing the pseudoscience bullshit that the guy told her about fixing her jaw pain.

I told her it’s the same as homeopathic therapy, those fake surgeries that remove tumors (without breaking skin), essential oils, snake oils, etc.

All Placebo effect.

Some good can be done. But that’s based on the massage and physical therapy part of the visit. Which are real medical professions IMO.

Joint cavitation is not the sound of a misaligned joint returning to its proper location. An actual joint dislocation would be a medical issue with obvious indications and treated at a real hospital.

I told her that I prove my case by the fact that real doctors do not ever perform such treatment because it is not real.

I have had some heated debates about this topic. I know that very intelligent, educated, reasonable people have been treated by chiropractors and felt better. So, that’s proof that it works. Yes. I admit it works.

I guess I’m just easily pissed off by the assumption that massage and physical therapy, done by the chiropractor, somehow validates all the other claims. Modern chiropractors have had to back off a lot from their original beliefs because most people will call bullshit on the old version.

I was just looking at a Sachs on eBay.de last night for 100€ and instead of adding that to my garage, my wife had some guy push on her face.

Sometimes my jaw clicks. I got punched in the chin once and the clicking stopped for a couple days. Maybe I could charge people to jack their jaw and tell them to come back every two days?

What do y’all think? I love MA opinions. So honest and raw. I’m not trying to stop her if she really does feel better. That is what’s most important (real or not). This question is just for my sake.

Re: Chiropractors... Are they real?

The cavitation, or popping of a joint, is simply the release of gasses that have built up in the joint cavity. Sometimes this gas bubble puts pressure on nearby nerves, causing pain or irritation. Popping the joint releases the air/gas reducing pressure on nerves. That’s why it feels better afterward. The joint is still in the same position after popping, there’s just less pressure.

Ever had a stiff or sore knuckle on your hand, that feels better after popping your knuckle? Your finger wasn’t previously out of joint, and now it’s fixed by popping it. No! Same goes for the rest of your joints.

By the way, you can do your own chiropractic adjustments with a 6” round foam back roller, and save a fortune.

Re: Chiropractors... Are they real?

Never used one, but the people I know who do swear by them, I can say if I'm going to pay someone to massage me, it's not going to be my back....

Re: Chiropractors... Are they real?

I agree. Popping a finger joint does feel better sometimes. My knees pop every once and a while too.

That temporary release feels good. I certainly wouldn’t pay to have someone do it for me. Especially since I know the feeling is fleeting at best and has no lasting effect on the joint, or nerve health.

Getting old sucks. Allowing these pseudoscience peddlers to prey on those with chronic pain from old injuries or just being old should not be normal in this day and age.

Re: Chiropractors... Are they real?

punkrock randy /

> Seth B Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> The cavitation, or popping of a joint, is simply the release of gasses

> that have built up in the joint cavity. Sometimes this gas bubble puts

> pressure on nearby nerves, causing pain or irritation. Popping the joint

> releases the air/gas reducing pressure on nerves.

Release of gas, lol. More like shifting of synovial fluid. U thinking of farting yo

Re: Chiropractors... Are they real?

A buddy of mine has been going twice a month for forty years for back pain. Not like debilitating back pain where he can't move, but like a bad sore back from jumping on skateboards forever.

So, is it worth it to him for the relief? Yes. Is it healing it? No.

Re: Chiropractors... Are they real?

Out here in Middlefield, the Amish in the area swear by chiropractors and reflexologists. Of course, they also all sell each other snake oil, horse linement, Purple Tiger, Sizzle, and keep three or four vitamin shops in business curing whatever ails them. When that fails, THEN they have no problem seeing someone at the Cleveland Clinic or University Hospitals. When the quacks start saying that pressing on a pressure point will cure everything from the common cold to cancer, it's time to bail.

That said, I actually had to see a chiropractor starting in 1980 after a drunk driver hit and ran me on my moped. I may have seen him for just a few years on and off, but he never made outrageous claims. Heat, ultrasound, and manipulation usually did the trick and made me feel better, but he never insisted that I be seen by him 3 times a week for years on end.

When my back started hurting 10 years ago to the point that I couldn't wipe my ass, it was the first place I went, as there was one 500 feet down the street. (My previous doc had died at a young age) When his treatment didn't work, he suggested physical therapy. Physical therapy didn't work either, as the issue turned out to be broken vertebrae due to a blood cancer, Multiple Myloma.

Surprisingly, in the last ten years, the back has been pretty good, but one specialist told me after looking at xrays that "it's bad, but not bad enough to do any surgery."

Nowadays, the doctor down the street won't touch me unless I get xrays first, given the history of 3 broken bones.

They definetly have their place as long as they aren't making outrageous claims or demands.

Re: Chiropractors... Are they real?

Brad William /

Word to the wise.

Avoiding any and all arguments on this matter, there is ample reason for skewing the odds in your favor in many medical decisions.

IF you are presented with options among a list of physicians to practice ANY procedure on you, and there are MDs and DOs among them, all other things being equal, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, INSIST on being provided care by an MD.

Not insisting on this is just plain not knowing crap about the medical system nowadays. There is certainly overlap. Some shitty MDs. Some great DOs. But without being privy to all of those possibilities, just play the odds (significantly) in your favor and choose an MD.

Your trusty HMO is going to foist any and all cost cutting onto you, and bank the balance for themselves. That includes larding the payroll with bargain basement PAs (physician's assistants) and DOs. Don't go in with blinders.(edited)

Re: Chiropractors... Are they real?

Pushrod Fifty /

I think I need a Chiro, my lower back is killing me from heavy lifting. I was moving heavy logs around my yard, stacking them, and day by day the pain crept up on me.

Re: Chiropractors... Are they real?

You don't need a Chiro, you need a lawn service! :D Seriously, there are people for that sort of thing.... Hard manual labor does not "build character" it builds your medical file. Hire it out!(edited)

Re: Chiropractors... Are they real?

Pushrod Fifty /

I could have been out riding that day instead. I need to hire a grunt worker. That would give me more time to ride and restore bikes that need a second chance in life. 20 years of being a homeowner, a whore to 3 different houses, has ruined me. Ear damage from power tools. Carpel tunnel from vibrating sanders. Also my job, sitting all day in front of a computer has killed my eyes and the work with the mouse, ruined the joints in my hand.

I need to find a handyman for my chores and someone with CAD experience to go and do my job for me. And someone to pay these people to do it for me.

Re: Chiropractors... Are they real?

There are,like MDs, good ones and not so good ones. Ask around. They can realign your spine over time, and if you work on getting those back muscles and diaphragm muscles in better shape, your spine will stay aligned longer.

Been getting adjustments for years. Between that and my INVERSION TABLE, doing well.

Re: Chiropractors... Are they real?

This last year I have had the best doctor I have ever had, including the Navy dime doctors I had growing up...why? She ISNT a doctor! She's a Physicians Assistant!

I was freaked out about it before I went but she will stop at nothing to figure out a problem and even cancells/delays her next appointment if we're still working on something. She even goes out of her way to check for completely unrelated things, at EVERY appointment.

I assume this is due to her being earlier on in her career, I thought doctors just became doctors. But apparently alot use being a pa as a stepping stone.

This lady is the bee's knees.

Re: Chiropractors... Are they real?

Some people think that doctors are geniuses. Superhuman cognitive abilities.

They’re all just people like the rest of us. Some are hardworking and naturally gifted toward their vocation. Some are lazy and dull. If you spend enough time and money and find the right school, anyone can become a practitioner of some type of “medicine”.

I have been to an excellent PA as well. Some of the best medical opinions I’ve heard come from nurses that work in whatever field the question is about.

All that said, if any MD, DO, PA, RN tried to pass off some factually wrong treatment hoping I was gullible enough to believe it and walk away feeling better, I would refuse to pay and sue for malpractice.

A spine is not a loose pile of rocks in your body. It is bound up tight with so much connective tissue and muscle, it cannot be in any alignment other than where it always is. Due to injury, bad posture, other inflammation, disc damage, nerve impingement, we have issues with our spines. PT, correct posture, reducing inflammation and in some cases surgical intervention can prevent or fix this stuff. But it isn’t “adjustable” or out of alignment.

Google it.

Re: Chiropractors... Are they real?

I had lower back pain once upon a time from constant heavy lifting, twisting and pulling working at UPS unloading,sorting, and loading trucks.

It got so bad I thought something was terribly wrong and went to my doc. Referred for imaging. Nothing was wrong. She said the constant overuse and injury was probably causing inflammation and scarring. She wanted to put me on muscle relaxers. I always refuse medication that treats symptoms. She told me that it would only get better if I stopped injuring my spine.

Eventually, I got a different job. After a year or so of healthy spine activities, everything healed itself. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Re: Chiropractors... Are they real?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Personally, I wouldn’t let anyone without a medical degree touch me. My wife and her family swears by them.

Re: Chiropractors... Are they real?

Rick Bergsma /

I used to do a lot of heavy lifting and always had back and neck pain .

When I finally went to a chiropractor he showed me the xrays of my neck and it curved the wrong way . After seeing him about 10 times the curve in my neck was corrected .

I then saw him for monthly adjustments for a couple of years .

Now I no longer do any heavy lifting and since I have no pain I don't go for adjustments anymore.

In my opinion if they relieve your pain , they're legitimate.

Re: Chiropractors... Are they real?

> punkrock randy Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Seth B Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > The cavitation, or popping of a joint, is simply the release of gasses

>

> > that have built up in the joint cavity. Sometimes this gas bubble puts

>

> > pressure on nearby nerves, causing pain or irritation. Popping the

> joint

>

> > releases the air/gas reducing pressure on nerves.

>

> Release of gas, lol. More like shifting of synovial fluid. U thinking of

> farting yo

You should read more, smart guy.

“Your joints can make a variety of sounds: popping, cracking, grinding, and snapping. The joints that “crack” are the knuckles, knees, ankles, back, and neck. There are different reasons why these joints “sound off”.

Escaping gases: Scientists explain that synovial fluid present in your joints acts as a lubricant. The fluid contains the gases oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide. When you pop or crack a joint, you stretch the joint capsule. Gas is rapidly released, which forms bubbles. In order to crack the same knuckle again, you have to wait until the gases return to the synovial fluid.

Movement of joints, tendons and ligaments: When a joint moves, the tendon’s position changes and moves slightly out of place. You may hear a snapping sound as the tendon returns to its original position. In addition, your ligaments may tighten as you move your joints. This commonly occurs in your knee or ankle, and can make a cracking sound.

Rough surfaces: Arthritic joints make sounds caused by the loss of smooth cartilage and the roughness of the joint surface.

Is joint cracking harmful? If you are feeling pain when your joints pop, then you should seek a health care professional. In terms of knuckle cracking, some studies show that knuckle cracking does not cause serious harm. Other studies show that repetitive knuckle cracking can do some damage to the soft tissue of the joint. It may also lead to a weak grip and a swelling hand.”

Taken from Library of Congress:

https://www.loc.gov/everyday-mysteries/item/what-causes-the-noise-when-you-crack-a-joint/

Re: Chiropractors... Are they real?

Papa, you're wrong about the spine not ever being out of alignment. I also have seen x-rays of an out of place vertebra which caused the 2 above and 2 below to correct for it. ......…….....It was MY x-ray after an accident at a silica brickyard.

The chiropractor was an ace. He aligned the T6 vertebra and the other 4 followed. I was back to work 3 or 4 days after he adjusted it.

The medical doctor just wanted to give me PAIN PILLS and send me back to work.

There are some really good chiropractors out there.

Re: Chiropractors... Are they real?

> Your trusty HMO is going to foist any and all cost cutting onto you, and

> bank the balance for themselves. That includes larding the payroll

> with bargain basement PAs (physician's assistants) and DOs. Don't go in

> with blinders.

My wife, a PA for 33 years, might like me to defend her.

At every job she's ever had, she is always the smartest person in the building.

Nurses with 2 year degrees are stupid. Nurses with 4 year degrees that didn't consult her about which college to attend are stupid. Nurses with masters degrees are washed up old hags that haven't touched patients in years, so they are stupid. Young Doctors just starting out are stupid. Older doctors making 3 times her salary are old and stupid because they don't know how to utilize PA's. The information Technology staff is stupid because she always gets a slow computer and it takes forever to download new Alpaca pictures to her desktop. Human resources is stupid because they hire all these people. The Board Members are stupid because they don't know medicine and make 5 times what she does.

So the hourly staff walks out the door in 8 hours while she has to correct everyone's medical records because her name is on them and if somebody gets sued, they will go after a PA fitst (Even though that has never happened)

And since she couldn't relax for a 10 minute chiropractor adjustment because she would have to let someone else control the situation, they have to be stupid as well.

She might sleep on a queen bed covered with old mail, dirty laundry, cat fur, urine, and vomit. She might be late for work 58 days in a row. She might leave for work every day of the week AFTER her start time. She might put in 80 hours per week at salary because everyone else is stupid.

But she isn't stupid. Just ask her.

Ok, so 2 nurses that she knows aren't stupid, our daughter and my wife's sister. But everyone else is stupid. She will tell you.

Re: Chiropractors... Are they real?

punkrock randy /

Papa’s right. Seth’s wrong. And Don is retarded.

Re: Chiropractors... Are they real?

punkrock randy /

Exit chiroquackters, enter physical therapists. Because it’s the heat and the stretching that help. But what “works”. Placebo can be a wonderful substitute depending on the reasons for your discomfort. Like if u a whiny ol’ bag o shit like =D~onOhioFloFacist and you sit at your computer all day trolling shit. Fuck you you homophobic piece of shit.

Re: Chiropractors... Are they real?

> Trent Anderson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Your trusty HMO is going to foist any and all cost cutting onto you,

> and

>

> > bank the balance for themselves. That includes larding the payroll

>

> > with bargain basement PAs (physician's assistants) and DOs. Don't go

> in

>

> > with blinders.

>

> My wife, a PA for 33 years, might like me to defend her.

>

> At every job she's ever had, she is always the smartest person in the

> building.

>

> Nurses with 2 year degrees are stupid. Nurses with 4 year degrees that

> didn't consult her about which college to attend are stupid. Nurses

> with masters degrees are washed up old hags that haven't touched

> patients in years, so they are stupid. Young Doctors just starting out

> are stupid. Older doctors making 3 times her salary are old and stupid

> because they don't know how to utilize PA's. The information Technology

> staff is stupid because she always gets a slow computer and it takes

> forever to download new Alpaca pictures to her desktop. Human resources

> is stupid because they hire all these people. The Board Members are

> stupid because they don't know medicine and make 5 times what she does.

>

> So the hourly staff walks out the door in 8 hours while she has to

> correct everyone's medical records because her name is on them and if

> somebody gets sued, they will go after a PA fitst (Even though that has

> never happened)

>

> And since she couldn't relax for a 10 minute chiropractor adjustment

> because she would have to let someone else control the situation, they

> have to be stupid as well.

>

> She might sleep on a queen bed covered with old mail, dirty laundry, cat

> fur, urine, and vomit. She might be late for work 58 days in a row.

> She might leave for work every day of the week AFTER her start time.

> She might put in 80 hours per week at salary because everyone else is

> stupid.

>

> But she isn't stupid. Just ask her.

>

> Ok, so 2 nurses that she knows aren't stupid, our daughter and my wife's

> sister. But everyone else is stupid. She will tell you.

Well, that's encouraging... NOT! :/

Re: Chiropractors... Are they real?

There are few real chiropractors in this world. The one and only time I went to one was when I pulled muscles in my mid back. It hurt so bad I could hardly walk much less bend over. The pain caused great tension of all the muscles in my back. Upon arriving at his exam room he had me do some physical test to evaluate the condition and problem. Once he figured out that I had a pulled muscle and not pinched nerve he had me lay on my back on a table with a void center section. He then grabbed one shoulder and the opposing knee and pulled them together to stretch the tense and bound muscle in my mid back. It hurt like hell for a second but was instant relief there after. Told me to come see him when ever I needed and that he wasn't going to try and sell me something I didnt need. That was 15 years ago and ive never been to any chiropractor since. He came highly recommended by my employer at that time. Was like $50 and he took me in the same day I called.

Re: Chiropractors... Are they real?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

They all do what they can.

It called a practice for a reason.

9 bad disks from car accident. Physical rehabilitation is exercises and activity.

I needed surgery urgently in 95. I told them to screw themselves the surgery would've split my ribcage. Hindsight is 2020 being opioid tolerant I would've died.

Re: Chiropractors... Are they real?

punkrock randy /

Not saying they can’t be helpful, just that most pain isn’t from bones or misalignment of them. Doctors aren’t typically good for pain, as they will likely prescribe something to block those receptors or dull sensation causing overuse of injured area. Of course it all depends on why pain is there, but typically from overuse/misuse/ lack of use of limbs causing stiffness and pain. When Papa mentions muscles and connective tissue and whatnot, he’s spot on. I am a certified massage therapist and have had education regarding all of this. Self care and stretching and maintaining full range of motion of everything in your body is key to a more pain free life. So crack your joints if it makes you feel better, but real comfort lies in retaining your flexibility/movement.

Re: Chiropractors... Are they real?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Tia chi every morning and a 1/2 mile walk.

A firm mattress using stairs avoid walking with weight or lifting over 50 lb.

That's how I avoided surgery. Pain can be tuned out with focus and concentration exercises. Music ...

weapon martial arts forms require immense concentration or you get hurt your brain figures this out. And gives you this zone its like Zen in the moment being the moment.

The pain levels I deal with. 72% suicide rate for trigeminal neuralgia sufferers most get it when theyre 70. I had since I was 25. .opiids and alcohol don't work on me genetically I don't possess those receptors

Re: Chiropractors... Are they real?

Slew Foot,

Sorry to hear about the pain. I know it’s no comparison, but I can only try to relate with tinnitus. It’s the only constant, irritating, almost unbearable thing I have to deal with.

It started from one shot of a .44mag w/o hearing pro. I usually wore earplugs. One time I didn’t. I had hyperacusis for about a week afterwards. Google that shit. The sound of running water was so painful my eyes would water. I couldn’t listen to my children without earplugs and even then, their voices made me shudder with pain.

I thought it would last forever. For some people it does. They either kill themselves or have their auditory nerves cut. Choosing complete, permanent deafness.

The sensitivity went away. The ringing subsided. I still hear ringing if I’m in a quiet room. It’s loud but my brain has learned to ignore it some.

What’s scary is that I’ve established that I’m likely to go down that path with another exposure. So, I always carry ear plugs on my keychain.

Kids on MA, take care of your ears! Hearing loss is not what happens. Hearing DAMAGE is what happens. It leaves you sensitive (pain) to some sounds and hearing constant ringing forever along with the reduced ability to hear high pitch sounds or the clarity of mixed sounds. Loud music just sounds like a loud hiss. Like cymbals being sustained.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account