Rancid the faux-ped

Luke Stroehlein /

Hey guys, I have a fake goped that I call Rancid. I got it many years ago at a bicycle shop. It's Korean made so the build quality is a little better than Chinese. The original engine was 24cc but it broke so I bought a 49cc Tecumseh. It didn't run very well with the stock exhaust and stock carburetor so now since there's a quarantine I'm screwing around with it. I added an "NT" carb from a bicycle engine kit. I love these carbs because they're stupid simple and easy to tune. I welded up an intake manifold today. I'll be working on fitting a small expansion pipe to it soon and also installing a bigger fuel tank.

20200507_162630.jpg
20200507_162639.jpg

Re: Rancid the faux-ped

Thats going to have a bit more attitude...

Pushrod Fifty /

That kill switch could be mounted on the bar, more convenient. What top speed are shooting for?

Luke Stroehlein /

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> That kill switch could be mounted on the bar, more convenient. What top

> speed are shooting for?

That's how the engine came, with a little switch built in, there's one on the bar too. And honestly I have no idea but since it only has a rear brake I don't plan to rip it lol. It has very torquey gearing too because originally a 24cc engine had to move this thing. I have a GPS app, I'll let you know what I have the nerve to get it up to when I'm done with these mods.

It only has a rear brake so you don't flip it, be careful with that, the hospital is the LAST place you want to be right now.

Pushrod Fifty /

Is it a 4 stroke? What are you using for a pipe, the stock muffler?

Luke Stroehlein /

No, it's a 49cc 2 stroke, I have a nice little expansion chamber I'm gonna Weld a matching inlet to and see what happens. The exhaust port is like a stretched oval so it will take a bit of creativity to make an inlet that adapts from that shape to the round pipe on the header

Luke Stroehlein /

I should mention that the

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GQ3EFWO/

is 15mm diameter and uses dellorto 5mm jets and is 10.49 with free shipping. I've been using them for years with no problems. Worth checking out if you're just trying to get something up and running.(edited)

^ Damn, does not get cheaper than that! :)

i got one of those carbs i've been meaning to throw away, what could i ever possibly use it on. theyre the same clamp diameter as an SHA and who doesnt have spare SHA's around

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> i got one of those carbs i've been meaning to throw away, what could i

> ever possibly use it on. theyre the same clamp diameter as an SHA and

> who doesnt have spare SHA's around

I found a box of china sha carbs I forgot about that I got ripped off on years ago. Guy said they used Dell jets but not even close. He sold them to me and drop shipped them from china. Got my cash back from paypal as he never responded to me after I got them.

Luke Stroehlein /

I'm tellin you guys their clones of Italian carbs suck, but this is based on a Russian bike engine carb. It's such a simple design that I've never had trouble with them. Anyway gonna weld up the exhaust soon

Luke Stroehlein /

Hey guys, so I carefully crushed a piece of the header today to make it match the exhaust port. Pipe was already hacked up for a different project. Gotta do a little more cutting then I'll Weld it all together. Tank is off a 79cc harbor freight engine. Put in a petcock today from a motorized bicycle. More updates soon

20200512_131245.jpg
20200512_131321.jpg
20200512_131255.jpg

Weld er up

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

Dude you're going to die. I am currently resurrecting a knock off goped for a girl I know in town and I won't fuck with this thing once it runs properly. Easily the sketchiest thing I have ever played with, and I like junk pile sketchy shit.

Luke Stroehlein /

> Mike Scouty McScoutington Wrote:

> Dude you're going to die. I am currently resurrecting a knock off goped

> for a girl I know in town and I won't fuck with this thing once it runs

> properly. Easily the sketchiest thing I have ever played with, and I

> like junk pile sketchy shit.

Lol I've ridden it before, it is pretty terrifying. I put on the throttle lever, grips, and phone mount today. Phone mount is so I can GPS its top speed. Added a tach as well because I removed the governor and it's not supposed to go over 6k rpm. I decided to put off the pipe for now and just Weld an elbow to the stock muffler so I don't burn my leg. Next is gas tank mounts and a good clean and re-lube of the sprockets and chains. Here are some pics.

20200513_121849.jpg
20200513_121903.jpg
20200513_130303.jpg

Luke Stroehlein /

Welded the gas tank mounts today and hooked up the fuel line. It's a bit ugly but solid. Drilled the exhaust to a larger diameter and welded on a piece of egr tube from a truck. I went for a test ride. At 6ft and 230lbs I maxed at 16mph on a slight decline. It maxes around 6500 rpm with my weight on it. I was shitting myself at 16mph. 10 is pretty comfortable on it. Gonna go for a cruise by the beach soon.

Screenshot_20200514-141829_Speedometer.jpg
20200514_142026.jpg
20200514_105624.jpg

Luke Stroehlein /

Nother pic

20200514_142034.jpg
20200514_142042.jpg

haha, wild

Pushrod Fifty /

Luke Stroehlein /

Holy hell, I'm not THAT suicidal

punkrock randy /

You weren’t bull shittin’ about that exhaust port being oval!! Be safe yo.

has tto temp guage = moped

Luke Stroehlein /

> mit mortso Wrote:

> has tto temp guage = moped

Pretty stupid-ass moped lol

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account