anyone know about kei cars?

thinking of maybe considering putting a nissan figaro on our list of possible second cars.

anyone here have any experience with these things?

they seem to be big in the UK grey market, but those weirdos eat eel pies, so i was hoping for a yanks perspective

its small and slow but it doesnt matter for what we'd need

it is kinda ghay but rare enough to not be "new beetle" kinda ghay, ya know what i mean?

a7349c7d9af61e7df6da7fd17b5c20a6x.jpg

https://www.duncanimports.com/used/Nissan/1991-Nissan-Figaro-e69e7d880a0e08f7472bc09530bfb0e3.htm

Re: anyone know about kei cars?

Brad William /

Doubt you'll find a lot of first hand comment. I see kei cars around west mich occasionally in the micro van form, is is veeeeeery cool. Stepped up to one in a grocery store pkng lot once and the guy gave me a tour of it.

Read up on the history of the concept. Its interesting. A consortium of SE asian governments arrived at a standard format for densly populated urban use to include delivery and transportarion etc, based on a prescribed wheel base and no-greater-than X in length width height.

The one above reminds me quite a bit of a bianchini (not a 'kei' car but about the same size) that our family owned in Rome, It. in 1965.

Our family also owned one of the first honda civics in 1972. 600cc air cooled twin up front. Under the hood it looked like some shop rat had just xplanted it from a bike.

For six years it took us in threes and fours all over west michigan. And that was back when highway speeds were even higher than today!

I seem to recall that small and underpowered was hella fun really!!(edited)

> Brad William Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I seem to recall that small and underpowered was hella fun really!!

^^Mopeds.

great story!

yeah, im all about slow and underpowered these days

Brad William /

> A Zed Wrote:

> > Brad William Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I seem to recall that small and underpowered was hella fun really!!

>

> ^^Mopeds.

Ha ha. You're right. Never considered that, but i guess it runs in my family:))

That’s a big garage for such a little car.

Old civics are awesome. I wish there was still a way to get small cars. Like go to a dealership and be like, “ show me the tiny one with no radio, a/c, power steering, headliner, floor mats, that costs $7,000 and gets 60mpg, will run for 250K miles before anything breaks, etc.”.

Those were the days.

Ah. yes. The good old days of Rusty Jones

And jeez, dont i wish that was my garage

its the importers, theyve got all sorts of weird little displacement rides

its not practical for us but I'm really in love with this ugly ass daihatsu "MopedMover"

i think it would make an amazing shop truck as long as youre not carrying too much weight...and aren't in a rush.

Screenshot_20200502-134313_SamsungInternet.jpg
Screenshot_20200502-134509_SamsungInternet.jpg
Screenshot_20200502-134543_SamsungInternet.jpg

https://www.duncanimports.com/used/Daihatsu/1990-Daihatsu-Mira-d4a2485e0a0e08f77ffc24aaf6beb327.htm (edited)

I like it too.

Painted school bus yellow. With the flashers and stop sign.

> Papa _ Wrote:

> That’s a big garage for such a little car.

>

> Old civics are awesome. I wish there was still a way to get small cars.

> Like go to a dealership and be like, “ show me the tiny one with no

> radio, a/c, power steering, headliner, floor mats, that costs $7,000 and

> gets 60mpg, will run for 250K miles before anything breaks, etc.”.

>

> Those were the days.

Mitsubishi Mirage.

We have this - excellent farm van, 4x4 works even in CanadaLand snow, also has AC that blows cold (like working in a Deli cold). Back is dead flat with the seats removed so great for moped transport, sliding doors both sides.

Does 110km/h unless there is a stiff headwind or a goodly hill so not so goodly on the multilane autoroutes, great on the scenic trips though.

KEI92Daihatsu.png

^ super cool!

Wow, that Duncan motors has some really cool stuff for sale! Did you go through the private collection page? :) That convert is cool, but man I would have to opt for the Toyota Hi-ace van or one of the Mitus Delica, so cool and diesel+stick! I like the walk through one you like too...are these things highway capable? Would really be a trip shifting with ones left hand...

Pushrod Fifty /

My Toyota Yaris, so sweet. 5 speed, rollup windows, key entry.

You will be amazed how quickly the left-hand shift left foot clutch becomes very fluid motion, after a couple of days you will get back into a left hand drive car and keep reaching for the arm rest on the door to shift...

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> Wow, that Duncan motors has some really cool stuff for sale! Did you go

> through the private collection page? :) That convert is cool, but man I

> would have to opt for the Toyota Hi-ace van or one of the Mitus Delica,

> so cool and diesel+stick! I like the walk through one you like too...are

> these things highway capable? Would really be a trip shifting with ones

> left hand...

Luke Stroehlein /

My old boss always wanted a Figaro, those are sweet. I say go for it. I'm with the other guys too, those micro vans are super cool

Pushrod Fifty /

I rented a Ford Fiesta in England and it wasnt bad getting used to being a shifty lefty, but a few times I made some left hand turns out onto the right side of the road, not realizing until I saw oncoming cars.

Really.... but left foot is always clutch... so long as the shift lever is not on the tree I'm confidant I could do it. :) In my man trans rant thread someone posted a Honda mini truck with a 4spd on the tree....I just can't! I drove a rhd car once, a Jeep Dj-5 the postal service here used them, unfortunately I was a minor and my Dad would not sign for it so I didn't get it, I had the $ too...being a "grownup" kid has it's perks! ;)

Pushrod Fifty /

The old postal jeeps were cool.

They were, but oh so primitive, leaky cold in winter, door seals were shit, big straight 6 with I think a Chrysler 727 auto trans, and posi rear end as they were 2wd. I wanted it so bad, but got a convert bug instead, in hindsight glad I got that, girls LOVED it...lol.

Pushrod Fifty /

Chic magnet for sure.

^ Lol it was, I was not attractive enough to get the girls that car got me, if people only knew how shitty that bug was...floors were weak, leaked like a sieve, (oil) I soft seized it once...let it cool off and fired right back up...ate clutch cables as it started life as an auto stick, and did not have the right tube in the tunnel for the cable...

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Potr zebie Wrote:

>

> it is kinda ghay but rare enough to not be "new beetle" kinda ghay, ya

> know what i mean?

Misspelling it doesn't make you any less homophobic-sounding.

Also: Off to O/T with this.(edited)

I doubt you can ever register it in the us. I almost bought an electric van b1000 until I found out it can't be registered for street use.

I know, right?!

If I had "trustfund-level fuck-you" money, I'd fill an entire garage with all sorts of their weird shit.

Screenshot_20200502-105411_SamsungInternet.jpg

like a Toyota pickup HEARSE.

Screenshot_20200502-105411_SamsungInternet.jpg

you dont much more goth than that

oh, relax. i didnt say it was a car designed for homosexuals.

And I openly celebrate Erasure's entire catalogue (even their ABBA stuff) so take that, mister judgemental.

and...aren't we already in OT?

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Potr zebie Wrote:

> oh, relax. i didnt say it was a car designed for homosexuals.

>

> And I openly celebrate Erasure's entire catalogue (even their ABBA

> stuff) so take that, mister judgemental.

>

> and...aren't we already in OT?

This was originally posted in Gen Forum.

You could have used a thousand other descriptors to describe the car. The fact that you used "gay" as a negative one, is just lame on your part.

ok, cool.

so do you know about these things or not?

I know a guy with a Honda Beat. It's a blast, and they're pretty cheap. ($6-7k once they're stateside)

Larry Picarello /
101_1400.JPG

I've had a kei truck for about two years. Street legal somehow with title.

Suzuki Carry 4WD, differential lock & axle lock , real two-range four wheel drive. Plows like a beast with tight turning radius & excellent heat & defrost.

Highly recommend these. Look for a low-mileage, non-smoking example.

Make sure the paperwork is correct or you will be stuck with a lawn ornament!

^ Cool! How fast will something like that go?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account