Project wood fired pool heater

Ok so here in maine we have very few months to use our swimming pools so I'm gonna build a DIY wood fired pool heater with a barrel stove some copper coil and a small pump. Waiting for the barrel stove kit to come. Idea is to make a shelf for the coil to sit on high in the barrel and run the two ends out the back. The two ends will go to a few elbows and then some more copper pipe and then to some hose with a pump circulating the water from the pool. Have a pump already from a failed solar system I have. Let's hope I can expand my pool season. Anyone done anything similar?

20200501_182836.jpg

Re: Project wood fired pool heater

I have had good luck with the barrel kits for my fire pit and also a sap boiler. They work well. Wanted to put one in my greenhouse in the back but went with oil for sumplicty

20200501_183946.jpg

nice. makes for a longer swim season.

Should work, depending on the size of the pool I guess, coupled with the time it takes to get the fire hot, and the potential for being downwind from the smoke? I would go with a homemade on demand gas burner, but maybe you aren't hooked up to nat gas? Even a LP fired unit, faster cleaner, just my 2 cents, hope it works, post pics as it progresses!

I have done this a few times, the pump makes all the difference. It's pretty hard to regulate the heat from the fire, but you can control the water.

It's all about finding that sweet spot where you get nice hot water and it doesn't turn to steam (watch out for that, steam is dangerous!)

Pushrod Fifty /

I think yes but maybe a steel pipe exchanger to hold up to the fire heat with unions to attach the copper, copper would be great for inside the pool to exchange the heat.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Should work, depending on the size of the pool I guess, coupled with the

> time it takes to get the fire hot, and the potential for being downwind

> from the smoke? I would go with a homemade on demand gas burner, but

> maybe you aren't hooked up to nat gas? Even a LP fired unit, faster

> cleaner, just my 2 cents, hope it works, post pics as it progresses!

Pool is only 4' x 12 or mabye 14? It's one of those cheap metal frame pools. We got a nice way oversized pump with sand filter and the thing stays super clean. We take it down in the fall and put it back up in the spring. We dont have natural gas here but do have propane. We only use it for heat in the winter and that is to fire a rinnai heater as our only source of heat. My shop is fired by k1 as is my greenhouse but that is on an as needed basis. Dont heat the greenhouse all winter, only for wreath making season and now for seed season, and the shop is heated by a miller trailer furnace that I turn on when i go to use it. Shop is only 24x24 so the 80k hot air furnace heats her up to 55 in 25 minutes or so on 0 degree days. Burn around 5 or so gallons a week in the winter months. The pool is another hobby so we will work to try and keep it warm. Dont want to add to our heat bill and have a ton of downed trees on the property that need cleaning up so I will cut and split I guess. I have a gas wood splitter but I just purchased an electric splitter that will work great for all the pine and my wife can use it no problem. The gas job is good for big stuff and can be a little intimidating for her. Went for a walk the other day and have at least 4 or 5 cords of blow downs I can get with my wheeler and trailer. Maine life is kinda like this. I enjoy the struggle and hard work to get things done. The company I work for slows down in the winter and we harvest oak from my bosses property and mostly hand split 20 cord to fit in this shed. It is four layers deep. Maine is a cool place. Life slows down in the cold months and then we work hard to try and relax in the warm months so this heater will help I hope.

20200326_133341.jpg

I also may do a wrap around the barrel with copper. Steel takes to long as I only have the time when I get out of work until I go to bed to feed the stove. I want instant heat. Copper is the only way to transfer heat especially with quick burning pine wood. Fast and hot

I want to spend some time in Maine someday. It looks beautiful there. I’d like to get snowed in to a northern sea port town for the winter.

> Seth B Wrote:

> I want to spend some time in Maine someday. It looks beautiful there.

> I’d like to get snowed in to a northern sea port town for the winter.

This year you would have been here for 6 months. Weather was shit and still cold here. Starting to get nice.

^ I feel you, just starting to warm up here too, was 70 yesterday, but we are to have a low of 34 this Wed..... we have two seasons, winter and road construction. Pardon me, but I have to go turn the boiler on in my building.

You could always go this route

Screensho.jpg

> Jared Rut Wrote:

> You could always go this route

I'm thinking this route...

s-l300.jpg

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> > Jared Rut Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > You could always go this route

>

> I'm thinking this route...

> >

Head on over to Wolfe County.

Worked on it today. Got to do some plumbing, chimney pipe, and should be good to go. Our pool pump shot the bed so had to order a new one.

20200524_122323.jpg

That thing is going to turn your pool into a hot tub, looking good . When you get it fired up it would be cool to get a temp in reading and a temp out reading .

Got close to a cord of wood split and stacked yesterday. It's all pine and mostly dry.

20200525_102322.jpg

Got her all hooked up and pumping but the pump I have is to fast so not heating up enough. Got to hook it up to my pool pump so I can regulate flow. Need to slow it way down.

20200531_083403.jpg

Plumbing

20200530_120409.jpg
20200530_133654.jpg

Wrap that copper tubing all the way around the outside of the barrel or around the flue, whichever gets hotter. Double the tubing length while you're at it. Then insulate the tubing (from a safe working distance) going to and from pool/burner. Maybe even take a geothermal type of approach by burying the lines between the pool and burner too. (edited)

The pool was 72 this morning and it is around 77 now. I think just slowing the flow will make it 100% better

> Satan 666 Wrote:

> The pool was 72 this morning and it is around 77 now. I think just

> slowing the flow will make it 100% better

Thats one way to do it. Will this "pump" endure the heat you're putting through it?

What ever happened to Blaine, the guy who was built furnaces? He'd be all over this.

Well I made a valve to hook up to the output of the main pump and it seemed to work very well. I can adjust the flow and had 90+ temps in minutes of lighting the fire. Need to get some hard wood as this pine burns to fast. Got to mix it to get a nice coal bed.

20200602_200943.jpg

> Satan 666 Wrote:

> Well I made a valve to hook up to the output of the main pump and it

> seemed to work very well. I can adjust the flow and had 90+ temps in

> minutes of lighting the fire. Need to get some hard wood as this pine

> burns to fast. Got to mix it to get a nice coal bed.

Very nice. Pics of a pool party with snow on the ground are in order.

up shits creek /

Pool owner here. Look into getting some liquid pool cover. Works great. Stops water from evapourating up to 70%. Evaporating is the #1 source of heat loss.

punkrock randy /

Take the easy route, it’d probably warm up pretty quick. Maybe get a lower temp stat tho ;-)

1A8DD112-820F-4CB2-9E21-80537F819614.jpeg

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

> Ryan Graeme Wrote:

> What ever happened to Blaine, the guy who was built furnaces? He'd be

> all over this.

I’m around on occasion. I’d definitely be doing this with waste oil. Wood is such a time consuming pain in the ass hassle.

Wood has the benefit that you can chop wood and watch wood burn, i also think waste oil would burn too hot.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Too hot?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account