Re: Y'all like vintage vans?

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I know this is a thread about VINTAGE VANS, but ive always liked the look of a Chevy Astro van.

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Seth B Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Weren't the old Chevys uni-body for a few years? I’d want a truck

> framed

>

> > model, for sure.

>

> Third generation 1971-1995 and older were full frame after that no,

>

> We had his and her’s blue/silver G20 conversion vans got from original

> owners that were almost twins in 1998-1999 mine was 1993 and my wife’s

> 1992, though they had around 70-80k mi on the 350ci engines we got great

> service life and both lasted to over 250k mi before rust and electrical

> gremlins did them in 2009,

>

> My Wife got a 04 Dodge caravan with 60k mi on it to replace hers and it

> rusted out and had to unload it 3 years ago (other then the engine it

> was always a lemon)

>

> While I got a used 2003 Astro conversion van instead around same time

> that had more on it then the dodge (second generation astro’s have

> beefier suspension, four wheel disc brakes and bigger wheels then first

> gen) and still runs good and only has a bit of rust on it,

>

> Though it’s a unibody it’s beefier then any minivan and holds large

> mopeds with the back seat removed and unlike full size vans it fits in

> most underground/high rise commercial parking lots

> >

Astro's are body on frame construction, the Chrysler was a unibody. That's why Astro's can tow more and are over-all stronger.

astro/safari have a lot in common with an S10, same engines, transmissions and rear axles.

the g10's from 71-95 are a weird hybrid unibody construction, similar to like the chevy novas and stuff like that.

i've never been underneath a g20, but i hear they are more of a body-on-frame construction?

the point i was making is if you want a 'classic' 70s shaggin wagon type van, you're pretty good off buying a early 90's chevy for cheap cheap and dressing it up to look like the old ones.

in my neck of the woods they are all rotten the hell out. when i was buying my econoline, i looked at a few of them, one even had a really nice rebuilt 350/700r4 with some performance goodies and a shift kit.... but the subframe where the rear control arms mount in front of the rear wheels was structurally shot on all of them.

i'm with you guys on the astro/safaris being great vans.. mostly because they had a 4wd option. i cant even get my econoline out of the driveway a lot of the winter, with positraction rear and everything. if it had some weight in the back it would help but they are so light in the rear end the wheels just spin and spin

There were lots of 4-wheel drive Aerostars back in the day. Never needed one though. This is my third Aerostar in 23 years. Only 140 thou on this one. Just hauled my 4X8 sheets of drywall from Lowe's an hour ago.

Overpriced Parts /

> Stephen Keller Wrote

>

>

> Astro's are body on frame construction, the Chrysler was a unibody.

> That's why Astro's can tow more and are over-all stronger.

Well yes and no, it is a body on frame construction but the frame is not quite like a G 20 frame, A lot more of the body hangs over the frame on a Astro it seems, I do like the towing button feature at the end of the shifter,

We briefly had for a year a few year old first gen, lo mi mint 97 Astro it seams all-wheel-drive that was great in the bad winter weather when we got it but after getting electrical work (a fuse would blow every few weeks) done on it, it had a electrical fire The next day when we got it back that burned all the wiring up and smoked up and ruined the whole interior of the van,

The shop which did the work went out of business and even though we had full coverage insurance they wouldn’t cover it because it was the shops fault so we were stuck out of about 4 thousand bucks for what we sold the van Vs what we paid for it,

It still ran great but didn’t have no lights, heater, controls, electric windows and smelt so bad inside your eyes would water I wouldn’t buy a first generation one again,

Non of the Chevy G 20s came close to the Ford or Dodge van platforms as far as beefiness, ball joints size, suspension size, my Chevy G 20 vans needed front end work literally yearly whereas my Ford and Dodge vans front ends were very strong and lasted longer

Pushrod Fifty /

That Chevy is sweet. Love the front style. I would keep the yellow.

Pushrod Fifty /

Subaru made a 1.0L van back in the 80's, but it didnt hit our shores. It was really square and had reverse back seats that folded flat. An old workfriend had one in Portugul that he used when visiting his family there.

> Will S Wrote:

> How about Vanagons? Do they count? Here is my ‘82 I’m currently trying

> to sell.

Sweet van. That would be great with a Subaru in the back.

I've heard back in the glory days dodge tradesman vans were preffered over gm and ford counter parts by serious vanners.

May be some truth to that, just look at how popular dodge rvs were back in the 70's and 80's. 318-360 and 440s were very popular with the rv market too.

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/so-how-about-some-b-body-vans.129835/page-180#post-911496112

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> astro/safari have a lot in common with an S10, same engines,

> transmissions and rear axles.

>

> the g10's from 71-95 are a weird hybrid unibody construction, similar to

> like the chevy novas and stuff like that.

>

> i've never been underneath a g20, but i hear they are more of a

> body-on-frame construction?

>

> the point i was making is if you want a 'classic' 70s shaggin wagon type

> van, you're pretty good off buying a early 90's chevy for cheap cheap

> and dressing it up to look like the old ones.

>

> in my neck of the woods they are all rotten the hell out. when i was

> buying my econoline, i looked at a few of them, one even had a really

> nice rebuilt 350/700r4 with some performance goodies and a shift kit....

> but the subframe where the rear control arms mount in front of the rear

> wheels was structurally shot on all of them.

>

> i'm with you guys on the astro/safaris being great vans.. mostly because

> they had a 4wd option. i cant even get my econoline out of the driveway

> a lot of the winter, with positraction rear and everything. if it had

> some weight in the back it would help but they are so light in the rear

> end the wheels just spin and spin

Yeah, the all wheel drive astros are pretty sweet.

Pushrod Fifty /

I like the powerband the 235 Chevy 6's had, you could ride out those gears and it sounded so sweet. No syncro in 1st but it was so forgiving, would let you take off in 2nd if you didnt want to stop. Keep it rolling in 3rd from a near stop in traffic and it would pick right up.

The old 235. Replaced by the 230,right?

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> The old 235. Replaced by the 230,right?

No, 250.

Really, this thread was meant to be about dodge, ford, and chevy vans 1960-1979. More so of the "Boogie van" era of the 70's. Like this g10 that's for sale here in NC. I can't find the original post, other than this pic on pinterest. "Wanna go outside and share a joint in the back?"

(edited)

45b3c1e7b16f81179b0bbb4356f71a2c.jpg

> Seth B Wrote:

> > Don Ohio Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > The old 235. Replaced by the 230,right?

>

> No, 250.

That was in the later ones. I think the 230 was next,in the 60s cars.

Pushrod Fifty /

The 235 had more stroke, the 250's didn't have the powerband like the old ones. I found a late 70s Chevy shorty with a 6 and 3 on the column for sale in someone's driveway some time ago. I was all ecstatic and pulled over to check it out. Looked real mint. Took it out for a test drive, pulling out into a busy road and went to stop, pedal sank right to the floor. Pulled it right back in and said no thanks.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account