Re: How is everyone spending their days?

haha, most people don't even realize the amount of crazy shit that goes into designing something like a car or an engine.

those subaru 6's scare me for real, i'm sure its not much worse than a regular EJ but that timing drive is so complex

still better than some of the crazy v8 audi shit i've seen on forums

you gotta remember though, that subaru engine is good for 300k plus miles without replacing that timing belt or anything really. I owned one with 320k that still ran pretty ok-ish despite being run on regular gas and getting absolutely zero maintenance. I've seen a few of them with 1/2 million. I cant defend every design decision subaru made (especially on the ez30's!) but i think generally they do a pretty good job of optimizing reliability and ease of service, a lot of their parts are backwards compatable and interchange between variants, and they tend to use higher end subcomponent parts from Aisin, delphi, etc.

i just rebuilt my '98 outback wagon this winter, heads, valves, full top end gaskets, redid the subframe and entire front suspension. need to do wheel bearings still and struts and it will be as good as a 20 year old/ 270k mile car can get. I like them, the are pretty easy to work on and i love how they handle and drive. Good for the snow out here in the country, skiddin' logs, hauling mopeds, hauling kids. If you gotta drive a car, its my favorite... gonna try to keep this one alive until i can buy an electric AWD hatchy/wagony/crossovery thing that ticks all the boxes... maybe something like an AWD prius plug-in?

punkrock randy /

My B5 Passat 1.8T getting up there in mileage now, about 330K. Just do full timing belt service every 90K or so and you good to go. And feed it a coil whenever it demands that of course. (edited)

^^^It's an old Honda, over engineered, high quality, built to last! I've had my Hobbit 22 yrs now, only one crank seal, one carb clean, and a set of new tires 2 yrs ago. Nothing better. I've never owned a new car either, used to do all my own work, still do some, but getting to where it is a bitch getting under a car, but when I go to a shop, I already know whats wrong, and I have my own parts, to avoid the gouge. (edited)

020.jpg

Nice Hobbit!

Spending more time in "The Pleasure Room"

50shadesPleasureRoom.jpg

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

52 bolts holds all of the components in place. 15 o-rings sandwiched between the inner cover and the front of the block to seal in the oil. 3 of them are pressurized oil.

The 4cyl Subaru water pumps are driven by the t-belt, but they’re a walk in the park compared to this dumb shit. We replace a lot of head gaskets on them for oil leaks too.

And if your Audi needs extensive amounts of cash to repair, you deserve it.

Tech tip of the day: How not to brake wheel studs.

Have you ever put a lug nut back on and it started getting tight before it even made contact with the wheel? Then it won’t come back off, or destroys the threads if it does. WTF? It came off just fine the first time.

Whenever a lug nut is removed, hold it open end down and tap it on a firm surface a few times to remove the tiny metal chips. The metal dust collects inside the nut and will eventually destroy the threads. After years of rotations, inspections, and brake repairs, the threads naturally wear a little. Clearing the metal dust from the nuts will help them to llast the life of the vehicle.

DO NOT apply anti-seize, to anything. Ever. It gets all over my hands and your interior before i notice what the fuck you did. Plus it holds these thread-eating little chips inside the nut so they can continue to ruin your studs. if you own a jar of this junk, throw it away. The 1960’s are over.

Don’t get me wrong, there is a place and time for lubed studs. A lot of the older vehicles did not use acorn style nuts and the threads are exposed to the elements. This would be a good place for a silicone lubricant. However over time, if the nuts start to feel sticky, the lube is loading up with chips and it’s time to clean them and re-lubricate.

I also use lube after restoring to chewed up stud that had “dust” damage. Grind away the ugly threads and touch up the others with a triangle file. You don’t need all of them. Just most. ;)

Some steel wheel GM engineer decided to make the stud holes in the wheel too small, so when the nuts are torqued down, the tapered part of the nut gets crushed smaller. The nuts then come off hard, and can be impossible to thread back on. Removing the first thread or 2 from inside the nut with a tapered die grinder bit will cure the issue.

Enough of this shit for today. I’m going home to play.

BA16E7EF-453D-47C0-9E0E-725C915E25B7.jpeg

(edited)

I have a couple of gigs I do on the side. But things slow down for me during the winter. So, I took a part time job at a place that repairs pallets. We do service and repair in addition to building new pallets from scratch. Its fun because every pallet repair is different. No matter how bad things get with this corona virus, people still need food among other goods that are stored and moved on 48"×40" pallets.

20200317_102915.jpg
20200317_104239.jpg
20200316_123612.jpg

Overpriced Parts /

No need to worry about on automobile engineers or anything right now, they just stopped making/manufacturing cars, All autoworkers in USA are furloughed! Which means all the auto parts makers are gonna close their doors too.

If it weren't for reckless forklift drivers I wouldn't have job security, haha

20200316_150530.jpg
20200316_152006.jpg

. (edited)

They used to fall apart in pallet jacks. They also used to rot. I used to work in an auto part store and about half our pallets had some sort of defect in them once we were done with truck day. (edited)

Today I did exercises with the 13 pound ham I bought in lieu of a medicine ball.

Man, I love anti seize, I put that shit on everything! Especially suspension hardware or brake hardware

I always wondered about those pallets, we get repaired ones at work but I didn't know if it was a formal thing or how it happened. Kinda fun. When they break I guess we give them back free? I take them home all the time for projects.

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Man, I love anti seize, I put that shit on everything! Especially

> suspension hardware or brake hardware

>

> I always wondered about those pallets, we get repaired ones at work but

> I didn't know if it was a formal thing or how it happened. Kinda fun.

> When they break I guess we give them back free? I take them home all the

> time for projects.

I love the copper anti seize myself. I have had what Blaine described happen to me before but never on lug nuts. Anyways,... there are grade "a" and grade "b" used pallets. Grade "a"have no repairs to or broken runner boards. Grade "b" have had broken or repaired runner boards. New build pallets obviously cost the most. They are all priced accordingly. It all just depends on what a person or company wants to spend. (edited)

Anti-seize is the greatest invention since vise grips. LOL! Never seize a bolt anymore.

Red loc-tite is a great anti-seize too, use it on anything.

> Brandon Love Wrote:

> Red loc-tite is a great anti-seize too, use it on anything.

You have to watch what you put red on if you intend to take apart again ..it is not anti-seize ..it will seize

You’re a sharp one, pops.

> Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

> You’re a sharp one, pops.

Was impressed with your work on the water pump ..looked like you are neat with your work and laying out in sequence as you did is often over looked and causes problems when you reassemble ...good going ..

^ lol. I’ve got over 40 years of practice. ;)

Usually the bolts just go in a pile because I remember where they came from, but this job required a little bit more organization. (edited)

I'm hoping they did clean,orderly work on my son's Mustang V-6(2006). He had a major failure of timing chain guides a coupla weeks ago. They had to pull the engine to get at the bank 2 chain cassette.

Junk was in the oil pan. He barely had it running to get it to the shop.

I have advised him that when he gets it back,after running it a few minutes, he should do another oil change and filter.

> ^ lol. I’ve got over 40 years of practice. ;)

>

> Usually the bolts just go in a pile because I remember where they came

> from, but this job required a little bit more organization.

I probably do the same on small jobs but like to see what you did there...i have had too many times have guys pitch in a plie then it's a jigsaw puzzle to get back together ..i have seen all kinds lol....always shyed away from guys that walked in with a tiny tool box with brand new made in wherever wrenches bragging about all tbeir mechanic experience...i know you have seen the type also

> ^ lol. I’ve got over 40 years of practice. ;)

>

> Usually the bolts just go in a pile because I remember where they came

> from, but this job required a little bit more organization.

You would have to with the bolts all being different sizes/depths, I like how they were color coded in the manual, I would have marked them with paint to correspond to the book, and layed them out, wait, no I wouldn't, after reading the manual, I would have either junked/sold the car, or brought it in! NO WAY do I have the tools or expertise or patience to mess with that! :) I'll keep my simple stuff, even if I have to start going out-state to buy it.

punkrock randy /

Pull an engine for a timing chain! But I thought only the Japanese had stupid designs? Racist geriatric fool, my least favorite type of person. Go eat more steakback outhouse and “stop living your life”. Please and thanks ;-)

@ Stephen. I did the color coding with some highlighters to make things i little quicker. The eyes aren’t what they used to be. Car is done and purrin’ like chicken.

We had talked about closing the shop for 2 weeks because of the current situation, but more work keeps coming in. So we decided to do pick-up/deliver and drop-off only. No waiters sitting in the waiting room, and most are ok with paying by phone in an effort to keep cash payments to a minimum.

They’ve got quite a few cases out around Philadelphia and now they just reported a few cases right here in York county this Tuesday. It’s eerie being out on a test drive and seeing so many places closed. Kinda like a ghost town.

building old school puzzles, beer, weed, long walks, spinning vinyl for the wife as she works from home, did i say beer, moped rides.......a week before ohio's shut down, i totally decided to liquidate my moped collection. i started with a sweet little cimatti on CL......i had a lady call axin if it had a weight limit of 300 lb's...sorry ma'am it does not. the rest of the responses were people making rude remarks via email......then ohio shut everything down. i pulled my ad thinking i'll post a little more desirable puch moped for a quick sale. had one person interested, and more troll remarks. sale didnt happen so i yanked the ad to wait this thing out. getting rid of my collection is on hold until next spring or a recovered economy. it might take more than a year. i was so looking forward to the moped purge......2020 was my year to get out from under all these bikes i spent 14 yrs working on.

I'm have been working on my 74 bug. Front beam rebuild, lowering kit, disc brake conversion. Fucking thing had some janky welded patch pannels so I had to fab and repair rust issues. In the north east so couldn't find a decent one for a good price so I decided to just repair

20200306_161754.jpg

Pic above is previous owner shit repair. My repair should work

20200308_185238.jpg
20200308_185745.jpg
20200310_173519.jpg

I'm enjoying all the cool stuff everyone but dOnOhIo is doing. Out of ALL the shit stirring and talking that Don does, it would be nice to see him post a pic of anything real that he has claimed to have done in the last 5 years.

I hate welding on rusty ass old steel. A little rush shield paint and she good to go. Now to press ball joints and rest of rebuild.

20200312_192532.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account