Twin ignition help?

George Biskey /
457D2A7F-D5AF-4D8D-AA8F-C833CF4120E1.jpeg

Picked up a trashed Yamaha Bonanza 180 a year ago that came with no ignition components. I want to modernize it a little, and don’t want to run the original armature/points.

Trying to make something from other things. Scored a ‘80 Suzuki GS550 pulse generator for $15 and modified it to fit the shaft, but that won’t give me power, just a signal. Guess I could go total loss style, but I don’t really like the idea of having to solely rely on a battery, and that’d be one more thing I’ll have to buy. I’d rather spring for a mini rotor if anyone has ideas of how to make it work. It’s got a 180 degree crank with the shaft having a 17-19mm taper.

Pic of the Suzuki pulsor.

Re: Twin ignition help?

Any hpi can be for a 180* twin. All you need is the twin plug coil they sell.

George Biskey /

Hell yea! I’ll probably give that a shot then, if I can locate the coil outside of Treats. All the specific applications for these old bikes range from $350-$800. Thanks!

Yeah, without the original generator you’re kinda dead in the water. Most people seem to like the vape ignition over the hpi 210, but I personally like the super fast revs of the lighter rotor, also the vape doesn’t have a curve.

I haven’t tried the 210 on any of my twins yet, but on my ns50 it made it a lot more fun. It doesn’t want to pull baby power wheelies when you dump the clutch into 2nd anymore but it picks up rpms super fast and has a much faster run through the gears.

I’m thinking of getting the hpi for my ls2 since my points got corroded over the winter. The damn cover was pooling with water!

Email Benji, he can order direct from hpi and was about half cost of what everyone else wanted. Hpi has a pretty good website with cross reference info but they might not have your bike listed if it's rare, figure out what fits, an xref that. I had to do a bunch of shenanigans to replace the ignition on an 89 ktm

I just ordered an hpi for rd250 today for 275 shipped, I’ll let bump this thread if it shows up faster than something from Belgium. The list price on hpi.be is very reasonable, but shipping is about 50-60 euros.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account