NTB is a rip off!

I did the outer tie rods on the car awhile back then took the car in for alignment and tires.

A year or so later I experience symptoms similar to a bad tie rod (Shaking in the steering wheel)

I get the car in the air and discover the inner part of the passenger tire severely worn and absolutely no play in the steering, the rack is on tight, the inner and outer tie rods are tight, everything is good.

My hypothesis is that they never did an alignment and the tire wore out on the inside due to misalignment.

This sucks..

Re: NTB is a rip off!

There are some factors to consider first. Quality of said tire(s). Speed rating on said tire(s). Were the tires used? How old are they? Dot regulations require a four digit date code to be on every road tire that specifies the week and year of manufacture. That code is within an oval stamp on the side wall. Also, the tire will have accelerated wear if it was not properly spin balanced. Cheaper tires will have lower speed ratings and thus wear out faster, especially if that rating is exceeded. At some point I would get the vehicle in to have the alignment checked before jumping to any conclusions.(edited)

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> There are some factors to consider first. Quality of said tire(s). Speed

> rating on said tire(s). Were the tires used? How old are they? Dot

> regulations require a four digit date code to be on every road tire that

> specifies the week and year of manufacture. That code is within an oval

> stamp on the side wall. Also, the tire will have accelerated wear if it

> was not properly spin balanced. Cheaper tires will have lower speed

> ratings and thus wear out faster, especially if that rating is exceeded.

> At some point I would get the vehicle in to have the alignment checked

> before jumping to any conclusions.

Thanks that makes sense. I'll get the readout when I get the alignment. I felt confident in damning them due to the very uneven wear. It really looks like the product of misalignment the innerside has severe wear and steel wire showing while plenty of tread on the rest of the tire., the steering components seem to have no wear/slack at all.

I'm not an expert but it really looks like the product of misalignment and I can't think of any other explanation other than what you said. I guess the truth will come with the new alignment results.

This may be a premature damning, but I'm still confident it is just.(edited)

And to be fair if I'm wrong I will post results even if it makes me look bad. I'll try to get it done tomorrow.

Replace the tire if the steel cords are showing, and for gods sake don't touch them.

Angry Hipster /

Too late the steel wire jabbed me in the finger and I made this post. But you can see in the pictures the other side doesn't look as bad, Evil appears to be right and I'm wrong I think.

I'll give myself a bit of a break that steel wire really hurt! And I've seen NTB pull some shady stuff.

In this case though it probably is aligned and the Wal-Mart tire/balancing job plus age, speed, and miles may be the culprit.

Lessons learned, I'm a bit smarter and humbled now.

20200310_135314.jpg
20200310_135320.jpg

Sure, the rack is tight.

But is it straight?

Also thanks for the advice!! I really appreciate it.

I'll check the rack again when I get back under it.

Not defending them or "dissin" you -- I did alignments for years and usually smooth wear on the inside is more of a camber issue ( top of tire slanted in or out from vertical) than toe in or toe out ( what the front of the tire does from pointing straight ahead) which causes chopped effect on tread. If your steering wheel was off center after replacing tie rods or tie rod ends and was still off after they aligned it then chances are adjustments weren't changed OR they didn't care about setting toe AFTER centering steering wheel then adjusting your new tie rods. Camber is ALMOST not adjustable many newer front ends because of close manufacturing tolerances. It can be adjusted a little if the alignment guy knows how. And the whole current situation can always be blamed on the " big pothole you must have hit somewhere." Bottom line- camber affects toe in or toe out but toe has a negligeable effect on camber. And replacing tie rods is your toe adjustment.Just get a printout this time and compare it to vehicle specs. Hope it turns out OK for you.

Those tires are dry rotted and need to be replaced anyway.(edited)

Ok so new tire is installed and the car is driving straight with no pulling. Good enough for me. The tire was dry rotted and must have hit a pothole or something and started coming apart due to age.

I would just get a new set but the rest look better. Idk, maybe I'll get new ones anyway.

Thanks for all the advice and help. I think I'll skip the alignment. In this case NTB may have done alright. I do remember giving them a speech about how I actually want it aligned and not just put on the machine and pretending to do it. Which happened in the case of my brother's visit there.

So I'm confused? Is angry hipster and mild mods the the same person? Thread started by mild mods but pictures posted by angry hipster?

> Steve Dolan Wrote:

> So I'm confused? Is angry hipster and mild mods the the same person?

> Thread started by mild mods but pictures posted by angry hipster?

Meeeeee. Toooo. Lol first part of the post says took for tires and alignment ...those tires dry rotted like that looks to be considerable more than a year old(edited)

Haha, I will neither confirm nor deny. I lost my password and made a new account for my phone. - I almost thought it was going to go unnoticed...

I did the tie rod ends then had an alignment. The tires are old..

I didn't really look them over too well after getting lacerated by the surprise steel cord. I assumed that they had been wearing on the inside..

That was my mistake.. Assuming..

Anyhow thanks for the help, I think it was a pothole and yes, the tire was old and needed to be replaced anyway.

These days I'm more in the chips so to speak and there is some maintence I need to perform to on the family fleet that is overdue, tires, belts, hoses, plugs, etc.

I would say fuel filter but I just found out one of the cars doesn't come with it from the factory. Times keep changing. . I would imagine it would make certain hipsters kind of angry. . .(edited)

What doesn't come with a fuel filter ?

07 Malibu, it comes with just the sock in the tank apparently.I just learned that today.

Ok..yea there are a few years in there that they are in the gas tank..non servicable

my frame seems bent, the alignment is maxed out and still off, the left front tire sits very close to the back of the wheel well, while the right nearly touches the front. Not exactly sure what that means

Is the tie rod/control arm bent?

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> my frame seems bent, the alignment is maxed out and still off, the left

> front tire sits very close to the back of the wheel well, while the

> right nearly touches the front. Not exactly sure what that means

Nothing good.... :/

> Thomas Smith Wrote:

> Those tires are dry rotted and need to be replaced anyway.

I agree. I would be interested in seeing the d.o.t manufacturers date stamp on those tires (TIN). Looking at the last four digits of the (TIN) the first two are the week and last two are the year. If had to guess, that tire above is 10 years old or older judging by the dry rot. Here is a pic of the date code on my truck tires....they were manufactured the 45th week of 2017....

20200311_120856.jpg

(edited)

> Pops Peds Wrote:

> Ok..yea there are a few years in there that they are in the gas

> tank..non servicable

Several year span of Dakota's are the same way (97-2004) The fuel filter is built into the in-tank fuel pump with pick-up screen sock and is non serviceable. Prior years had an inline filter under cab on frame rail on drivers side.(edited)

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> my frame seems bent, the alignment is maxed out and still off, the left

> front tire sits very close to the back of the wheel well, while the

> right nearly touches the front. Not exactly sure what that means

Is this a circle track car?? Haha, something's very wrong. The frame or body is bent severely. Sounds like its been off road or in an accident. Maybe too many "Duke's of hazard" jumps??

hazzard-4.jpg

I got it cheap. it looks like it's been curbed a few hundred times. I don't rely on it much and it works - I regularly see far worse on the road. But it's definitely fucked up somewhere. maybe it is the tierod or something. not even sure what to look at in ther.

It does not look like that in the pic you posted, but I would definitely have that looked at? It dives straight? Hard to believe given what you described?

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Is the second picture of the left tire, or just a different area of the right tire?

Dirty30 Dillon /

"A year ago someone serviced my car... I just started having bad symptoms and found my 140 year old tires are wearing unevenly... must have been the alignment I had done last year."

This is the largest jump to conclusions I have seen in awhile.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> "A year ago someone serviced my car... I just started having bad

> symptoms and found my 140 year old tires are wearing unevenly... must

> have been the alignment I had done last year."

>

> This is the largest jump to conclusions I have seen in awhile.

I don't know hipster but by his deceptive explanation to the MA people in his first post that he owned up to when it was brought out feel he was possibly trying to get the people to provide a free aligment and possibly tires...this is a nihtmare type customer ..you try to keep a good reputation but there are times you have to say no way..however had this came about at my shop i would have been reasonanle in explaining the real problem and if he percisted would have taken it in the shop,done an alignment,put on a new tire ,had him drive it to see if it was to satisfaction then ask him to please take his vehicle somewhere else if he needed work done in the future,thanked him for his previous business and walked away ...

> Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

> Is the second picture of the left tire, or just a different area of the

> right tire?

Different area of the same tire.

Also I would have grabbed the dates but the tire was changed before the question was asked, sorry.

> Pops Peds Wrote:

> > Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > "A year ago someone serviced my car... I just started having bad

>

> > symptoms and found my 140 year old tires are wearing unevenly... must

>

> > have been the alignment I had done last year."

>

> >

>

> > This is the largest jump to conclusions I have seen in awhile.

>

> I don't know hipster but by his deceptive explanation to the MA

> MA people in his first post that he owned up to when it was brought out

> feel he was possibly trying to get the people to provide a free aligment

> and possibly tires...this is a nihtmare type customer ..you try to keep

> a good reputation but there are times you have to say no way..however

> had this came about at my shop i would have been reasonanle in

> explaining the real problem and if he percisted would have taken it in

> the shop,done an alignment,put on a new tire ,had him drive it to see if

> it was to satisfaction then ask him to please take his vehicle somewhere

> else if he needed work done in the future,thanked him for his previous

> business and walked away ...

I wasn't out to get any free stuff, I was unexpectedly stabbed by a steel belt and wrongly assumed the tire was severely worn on the inside and made this stupid hasty post while I was taking a break.

I already checked the steering system for tie rod/rack bushing wear so I knew it was tight, and I assumed the alignment was done.

Once I realized the wear was only on one spot on the tire I had a new tire installed and the car now tracks straight and I'm calling it good.

However, if the tire had been unevenly worn on the inside like that all the way around and the steering system checked it would be reasonable to assume the alignment wasn't done. Another alignment would verify that.

I make lots of mistakes, my slander wasn't intentional and I did admit I was wrong. My intention was not to rip anyone off or get anything free.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account