Here's my personal experiences with guns as self defense and otherwise
1) a friend had a scooter robbed and during the robbery charged out with a gun, ratatat tatted and all the kids scattered. Luckily none were armed and it dis not escalate, however they were pissed and returned days later and knocked the garage off its foundation with a stolen truck, totalling the building.
2) a friend heard a home invader outside his home, he charged out and threatened the intruder and fired a warning shot in the air the man turned out to be his landlord's roof repairman. The mentality of fear and protection escalated a situation from a poorly communicated repair job to a dangerous and irresponsible reaction that lead to fines and criminal charges for discharging a weapon in city limits
3) a friend (not really friends, that kid sucked) got a rifle and wanted to "hunt" and upon finding a beaver the first moving thing, psychotically shot it twelve times like a total maniac
4) another highschool"friend" lit up a bunch o turkeys behind my other friends house, nearly deafening everyone else. We ate it, it was real gross.
5) I got shot in the eye with a bb, luckily my eye and brain survived but it was surgically removed at great expense along with my entire left sinuses.
6) in court for a stupid prank, i waited through a trial of a man who had pulled a gun on his wife during a spat
7) skeet shooting at a range with friends a number of times i had a really fun time
8) my grandfather teaching me to shoot clay targets and really enjoying it and learning from him
9) my friend buying a pistol and setting up a sand pile behind his house so we could practice it was pretty fun.
10) my uncle in law putting a loaded pistol on the Thanksgiving table while my 3 yold daughter and 6 year 0ld nephew were running around playing because he wanted to make a point that " you're not gonna take his guns away"
I am aware these are personal experiences and not everyones but putting it here for reference