Good places to buy headliner material?

Angry Hipster /
Screenshot_20200220-075454.png

I had to return this from eBay, look how far off the color was from the description.

I don't want any regular fabric because without the foam backing it's too easy to stain when installing.

Anyone here know of a good place?

Thanks

Re: Good places to buy headliner material?

Rick Bergsma /

I needed pretty much the same color for my '93 Dodge and I didn't trust the color match so I went with a true timber camo .

I got it from an eBay seller in Forest City N.C.

IMG_20191005_155404.jpg

Angry Hipster /

Looks like you did some really good work!!

I'll have to keep looking though as the camo wouldn't fit the style of this car.

Rick Bergsma /

> Angry Hipster Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Looks like you did some really good work!!

>

Prep is key to a nice job

IMG_20190827_090522.jpg
IMG_20190827_100133.jpg

Lolz... I had a 92 Dakota with the same interior colors^^. The biggest bitch was getting it out of the truck in one piece.(edited)

i don't have any headliner in my car. I suspect the previous owner had a sunroof leak. I just sprayed it with truck liner and left the windows down for a week. sometimes I consider nice things, but even if I spent 100 bucks on a headliner it's already worth almost as much as the car.

Pushrod Fifty /

Fleece from a fabric store or walmart is so cheap, avail in many colors. Holds with contact spray from home depot.

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> i don't have any headliner in my car. I suspect the previous owner had a

> sunroof leak. I just sprayed it with truck liner and left the windows

> down for a week. sometimes I consider nice things, but even if I spent

> 100 bucks on a headliner it's already worth almost as much as the car.

^ :) SOOOO "get" that!

Angry Hipster /

What about the 3/16" foam backing? Is there a purpose for it? I once used a bed sheet on an old car and it worked but had adhesive stains in a few spots and wrinkles.

I worry the fleece would be the same story.

Just scrape the old crap off and spray paint it... :D

Angry Hipster /

This is going on my fancy schmanchy $1,000 car - Now my daily driver cost $400 and has an entire package of interior screws holding up the headliner and a mismatched fender, lol.

> Angry Hipster Wrote:

> This is going on my fancy schmanchy $1,000 car - Now my daily driver

> cost $400 and has an entire package of interior screws holding up the

> headliner and a mismatched fender, lol.

Thumb tacks work too.

Angry Hipster /

They do, but they fall out, and often land upside down on the seats..... I've seen it happen in my car and luckily didn't sit on one. So I bought the spiral upholstery screws.

so bummed....i'll be doing this when it warms a bit on an 03 caravan. it'll be nice not breathing, and getting foam in my eyes for a change. it separated 2 years ago. we purchased the van new, and we plan to drive the wheels off it, so my fix wont cost a dime, and guaranteed creative with attention to detail....i'll post pics how it turns out.

Just go to Joanne fabric. It’s cheap. Like 12$ a yard

Best is to buy actual headliner material.if you want a neat job..it comes with the foam attached ..i have done hundreds of them over the years..getting the right material and taking your time with probably save you time in the long run.i got material from a wholesale mat co or in a pinch went to a local upholstry shop that sold me what i needed..not sure how to match your colors on the net hipster but if you want it neat without a lot of hassle get the right material to work with even the glue .i always used 3m brand spray can found at any autp store

Angry Hipster /

Ya pops that's the plan. I've got 2 cans of 3m headliner adhesive and I want to find the 3/16" foam backed stuff.

If they had sent me something that matched their picture it would have been great.

One hint that might help is not to trim the size of your board ..trim what you have to in the corners so it fits and too much excess over the sides but fold it over the board because it will sometimes srink and pull out from under your mouldings..hope that made sense ..i am not a good explainer

Angry Hipster /

Thanks for the hint, It makes sense. I'll try it. I think I'll give ebay another shot. Maybe I'll ask the seller to send a picture of the actual material first.

Another hint is at your sunvisors don't worry with cutting a round hole ..just cut as small of an x that you can work the sunviser through also have an ice pick or shapened off screw driver or such to find and line up your scew holes

Not trying to seem to be a know it all but trying to make it easier and going by mistakes i myself and others i have seen make don't try to stretch the material over the board just let your material flow over it natural and if you get a wrinkle don't try to pull it out forward ..try to fold back the way you started and gently unstick it until.you pass the wrinkle then lay it back down.

fuck eBay, go to a fabric warehouse and find a whacked out print and have some fun with it

eat some mushrooms, smoke a bowl, recline your seat, and explode into space

Galaxy_58284208-607f-4f83-9537-186300e9317e_large.jpg

> Potr zebie Wrote:

> fuck eBay, go to a fabric warehouse and find a whacked out print and

> have some fun with it

>

> eat some mushrooms, smoke a bowl, recline your seat, and explode into

> space

> >

Reach down, between my legs....ease the seat back.

> live ɘvil wrote:

> Reach down, between my legs....ease the seat back.

^ THIS guy gets it...

giphy-35.gif

My coworker just did his Cherokee with a fleece star wars blanket and super 77. Looks good.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account