I drug home another trike

Angry Hipster /

Literally, haha the front wheel wouldn't turn.

Seems like a cool machine, shame it's been out in the elements so long. I was out of town and a package was delivered when I got back I noticed the package wasn't on my porch. I check my security cams and noticed the neighbor's dog grabbed it. So I walked over and talked to the neighbor about it and he is this cool old guy, and he paid for the package and had this 3 wheeler sitting there in the yard, I asked about it and he gave me a good deal.

I carefully with gloves pulled the poison oak off it, and killed the fire ant mound in the front wheel, The engine spins over, and it seems to have compression, I have to treat the fuel tank and rebuild the carb to see what happens.

It's an 87 250sx, so kind of rare (Most of the 87s were destroyed), and well equipped with reverse and electric start, manual clutch.

I think this one was kind of special, like the equivalent to a magnum or sebring in the ATV world and I'm glad to have rescued it so either I can enjoy it, or sell/trade it and get a cool moped or something.

trike1.jpg
trike2.jpg
trike3.jpg

Re: I drug home another trike

Nice , I have and 86 125m. It has reverse. Thing smokes like a bastard but always starts and runs. I had a yamaha 200 sport trike that I had to sell because it wheelied way to easy and figured I would kill myself. Those 250s are pretty quick

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I know of a junkyard that had some of old 3 wheelers in it, pretty sure there were some 250's. Dont know when ill be out there again but i might be able to find you something if there is a rare part your looking for.

Anywho, I like thats is nappy. Those make for the best bikes. I hope you get it running and just enjoy it. Keep us posted with pics!

Angry Hipster /

Thanks for the offer! I'll post here with updates when they happen. This is kind of like a side/side/side project, lol.

Also I was wrong about the manual clutch, turns out it's semi auto, which is better for me because I tend to ride slower than 1st when going through rough/unfamiliar terrain, especially with tall grass that could be hiding obstacles. This way I don't have to keep pulling the lever and slipping the clutch.

But cart before horse I guess. I still wonder what's wrong with it in the first place that caused it to be laid up. Could be a major problem or a dirty carb I guess?

Had an old 125 automatic 3 wheeler with 5-speed and in snow that thing was a blast. My 250 Yamaha 4-wheeler with hi-low range was more suited to hills and rough terrain.

Both were good runners and fun for my boys and me to ride.(edited)

>

> But cart before horse I guess. I still wonder what's wrong with it in

> the first place that caused it to be laid up. Could be a major problem

> or a dirty carb I guess?

Could be the fact that they have been outlawed for 30+ years now because of rollover deaths...I know that makes me sound like an old fart but yeah, two wheels good, four wheels good, three wheels bad..

> Norris Hall Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> >

>

> > But cart before horse I guess. I still wonder what's wrong with it in

>

> > the first place that caused it to be laid up. Could be a major problem

>

> > or a dirty carb I guess?

>

> Could be the fact that they have been outlawed for 30+ years now because

> of rollover deaths...I know that makes me sound like an old fart but

> yeah, two wheels good, four wheels good, three wheels bad..

In snow, they are more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

> Norris Hall Wrote:

> >

>

> > But cart before horse I guess. I still wonder what's wrong with it in

>

> > the first place that caused it to be laid up. Could be a major problem

>

> > or a dirty carb I guess?

>

> Could be the fact that they have been outlawed for 30+ years now because

> of rollover deaths...I know that makes me sound like an old fart but

> yeah, two wheels good, four wheels good, three wheels bad..

Yeah, growing up I worked on and rode many bikes .My family was adamant that I was to never get on a three-wheeler. Several people my grandfather knew got severe spinal injuries riding them so they were off-limits to me. They look cool but I still don't think I'll ever ride one

Yeah I don't dispute the fun factor but I also remember when kids were dieing on them.

> Norris Hall Wrote:

> Yeah I don't dispute the fun factor but I also remember when kids were

> dieing on them.

The guy who sold it used to me actually grounded his son and sold the 3-wheeler. He said the boy was told to stay in lower gears and he caught him a few times racing it.

The thing WAS fast. I'd say 55 mph. The boy didn't obey his Dad and lost his fun ride.

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> > Norris Hall Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Yeah I don't dispute the fun factor but I also remember when kids were

>

> > dieing on them.

>

> The guy who sold it used to me actually grounded his son and sold the

> 3-wheeler. He said the boy was told to stay in lower gears and he caught

> him a few times racing it.

>

> The thing WAS fast. I'd say 55 mph. The boy didn't obey his Dad and

> nd lost his fun ride.

That's a good father IMO. May have saved who knows what kind of grief.

Angry Hipster /

When I was a young teenager, 14 or so, my grandfather became sick with Alzheimers. My family moved in with him to spend some time with him, help him live independently for awhile longer, help get his affairs in order, set up nursing home, etc.

Anyhow, he lived in a big house on a hill in oregon. He was a retired jewelry store owner/property developer and spent his retired life going to estate sales and filling his 2 separate shop buildings and garage with his "deals" of which included 20 or so 3 wheelers.

My younger brother and I would head down to the shop and work on them and get them running and act like idiots on them. My younger brother chose to ride a very early honda 3wheeler, a us90, that sat really low, had wide axles and tire (He was smarter than me..) There was a 200cc Honda that had hi/lo range which of course was the one I had to ride. It took me awhile to realize it had that and one day I switched it into hi range, I was flying up and down the street and it scared my extended family (Not my parents for some reason) One day the tire was low and it rolled over and threw me off, I learned my lesson about being lazy and not airing up tires then. .

Anyhow the neighbor kids were a bit older and they would hang out and one day I rode doubles on the 200 with the older more troublesome teen through these really scenic countryside hills... it turns out it was a farmer's field and we were damaging it by riding over the freshly planted crops. The farmer confronted my mother about it and she gave him my beloved 200cc hi/low range honda 3 wheeler.

After than I rode the second largest one in the fleet a 185. I couldn't get the 185 running right and in hindsight I think it was due to it needing valve adjustment. It was given to me and I later sold it for way too cheap when moving. . the rest of the bikes were sold much earlier for next to nothing at the estate sale / auction when my grandfather died.

Also there were some larger Kawasaki ones in another shop building but it was down a steep gravel hill and we never thought to steal/borrow the jeep and pull them up into the larger more equipped shop and get them running, good thing I guess, lol.

Anyhow that was my introduction/crash course to 3 wheelers, and the best summer of my life so far.

Oh ya, also at least twice we managed to install the slide incorrectly in the carb and start the engine in gear. They would take off like rockets and scare the hell out of us while destroying and running over everything that got in its way, hit and miss engines and almost a Peugeot car.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account