Let The Good Times Roll

I picked these two crusty gems up today. Brown one is a 1975, turns over with good compression. Missing a couple parts, like carb and engine cover. May be in the bucket of parts. Has keys and title. Green one is a 1978. Engine seized, trans shifts. Has the parts the other one is missing. No title. I should be able to have a good runner between the two. May be able to get em both going, if I can find parts easy. We’ll see.

$250 for the pair.

B75F3DF6-D42E-44E0-90E8-29129B46FA70.jpeg
3BC9D4F4-1F20-4B9F-A89E-6A4687911D28.jpeg

Re: Let The Good Times Roll

Super deal! Great little bikes. The title for one makes it worth it.

Have a ball!

My big brother had a KE100 just like the 75 when we were little. I am 5 years younger. I had a Yamaha enduro 60. Memories.

Those are awesome, get them both going, do the Vermont thing on the non-titled one. I learned to ride motorcycles on garage sale find yz-80's, memories indeed.

Pushrod Fifty /

Great deal and looks like you have a lot of space to ride out there.

> David M. Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?2,4250031,4342820,flat=1#msg-4342820

>

> I have extra parts. Let me know what you need

Great to know! I’m gonna need some things, for sure. I’ll be in touch, when I have a better idea what’s up. Thanks!

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> Great deal and looks like you have a lot of space to ride out there.

Yep. Trails for days and days. Endless riding opportunities!

Where can I find a service manual, other than eBay?

Also, these both say they are a G5. Is that the same thing as ke100?

I need a carburetor for sure, but I found the right side engine cover and side cover in the bucket.(edited)

Yeah they’re basically the same. There’s a bunch of little changes over the years

shman shmilroy /

Ke100's are v fun. A guy on youtube kevin bergeron has a tonnnnn of videos about repairing them. I like the green color, but that brown will clean up real nice. Those are two colors I haven't actually seen photos of in the wild. NICE FIND!

shman shmilroy /

G5 turned into the KE in like 75 or 76 I think. I highly reommend getting a clymer manual to work on these babies. I'm not 100% sure what if anything changed between the G and the KE, but they are both rotary valve 100cc engines. Partzilla and ebay will have all the part you need.

> shman shmilroy Wrote:

> G5 turned into the KE in like 75 or 76 I think. I highly reommend

> getting a clymer manual to work on these babies. I'm not 100% sure what

> if anything changed between the G and the KE, but they are both rotary

> valve 100cc engines. Partzilla and ebay will have all the part you need.

I wondered if the Clymer manual was any good. Thanks for the recommendation.

Well, the good news is that they are def both 5-speed G5’s. Both say G5 in the vin, and both have five gears. The brown 1975 has a cast iron head. The bad news is, not only is the 75 missing the carb, but also a chunk of the intake. I don’t know how or when it broke off, or where the chunk went. There should still be enough protruding to get a good seal, I hope!

601E9D23-2D7E-4C42-A5ED-CE01E72E4C81.jpeg

It appears to be an old break, because you can see where the PO used red RTV. There’s remnants of it on the broken surface.

The green 1978 has a complete engine, but it’s missing the speedo/key switch cluster, headlight, and taillight. Problem is, it’s an aluminum cylinder, and it’s seized. There was no spark plug in it, and the rings rusted to the cylinder walls. I’ve got a little Evaporust in it right now to try to loosen it up a bit. I’ll let that soak overnight, and fill it with Coke tomorrow. Maybe I can get it freed up. If not, I need a cylinder.

461FFE6E-FEE6-4BA4-A24D-79C598CFE1AF.jpeg

Is the aluminum cylinder sleeved or Nikasil plated?

Pushrod Fifty /

PB Blaster

fun fun!

you might already know this but those rotary valve kawasakis are suuuuuper picky about any little air leak in the intake tract. you got about 4 or 5 depending on the year and model unobtanium rubber boots, plugs and gaskets... if any of them are missing they wont run for shit.

you can up jet them to make up for airleaks in the air intake tract, they go up about 10 sizes when you take that side cover off.

i don't remember whether the one i had was plated or cast iron, maybe they switched between the G5 and the KE100? the aluminum cylinder is a later model cylinder that was swapped on? nice thing about them is that aside from the air leak thing they run damn near forever... i've been looking for one to beat around the farm for awhile now.

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> fun fun!

>

> you might already know this but those rotary valve kawasakis are

> suuuuuper picky about any little air leak in the intake tract. you got

> about 4 or 5 depending on the year and model unobtanium rubber boots,

> plugs and gaskets... if any of them are missing they wont run for shit.

Yeah I had an '81 that was gorgeous but was missing that boot. Had to pay $20 on eBay to get one, someone had NOS ones but this was like 6 years ago. Without that boot it's not gonna run right at all, any air leak is a huge pain in the dick on these

20140509_161325.jpg

> Rick Bergsma Wrote:

> You can easily find a used intake on ebay

>

> https://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Kawasaki-G5-KE100-Enduro-KM189B-Engine-intake-rotor-cover-plate/291862217208?hash=item43f45801f8:g:aYEAAOSwU-pXu1r~

I don’t see how that would go on my engine...

> Seth B Wrote:

> > Rick Bergsma Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > You can easily find a used intake on ebay

>

> >

>

> >

> https://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Kawasaki-G5-KE100-Enduro-KM189B-Engine-intake-rotor-cover-plate/291862217208?hash=item43f45801f8:g:aYEAAOSwU-pXu1r~

>

> I don’t see how that would go on my engine...

Pretty sure you split the case and that bad boy bolts right in:

https://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-g5c-1975-canada_model15136/partslist/45353.html

> Nick Haber Wrote:

> > Seth B Wrote:

>

>

> > > Rick Bergsma Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > You can easily find a used intake on ebay

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > I don’t see how that would go on my engine...

>

> Pretty sure you split the case and that bad boy bolts right in:

>

> https://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-g5c-1975-canada_model15136/partslist/45353.html

Maybe it’s my shitty eye. Maybe it’s my ignorance. Either way, that seems completely different than what I have. Isn’t the piece I circled the intake?

0B69995E-F9CB-4AD3-8848-EE1E346407FA.jpeg

Pushrod Fifty /

Yes. The damaged mount is probably separate from the case, it is probably a cover that goes over the rotary valve and may have a lining in it and a groove for a large oring.

gnarly

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> Yes. The damaged mount is probably separate from the case, it is

> probably a cover that goes over the rotary valve and may have a lining

> in it and a groove for a large oring.

Yup. Geez. A combination of ignorance, bad vision, RTV, and more ignorance. I get it now. The RTV was an attempt to stop an air leak at the junction of the intake & case. The intake passes thru the case, but is not part of the case.

Rick Bergsma /

> Nick Haber Wrote:

> > Seth B Wrote:

>

>

> > > Rick Bergsma Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > You can easily find a used intake on ebay

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > I don’t see how that would go on my engine...

>

> Pretty sure you split the case and that bad boy bolts right in:

>

> https://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-g5c-1975-canada_model15136/partslist/45353.html

Yeah , you don't have to split the case , just remove the clutch cover and the intake is under it . When you get the Clymer manual it'll all be perfectly simple.

Pushrod Fifty /

This cover has the carb mount on it. It is under the side case. This is from cmsl parts. Kawasaki should be able to get the orings and bearings, seals but the cover might be an ebay score or there are 4 left from pic on Nicks post.

I remember this same setup from my TS90 that was my first case split in my high school small engine repair shop class.(edited)

cvr-rotary-disc-valve_minithumb14019056-01_f63d.jpg

I bought this one from eBay, for $3.99, plus $8.25 shipping. Even has the rotary valve. Super cheap!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-72-KAWASAKI-G5-100-OEM-CARB-CARBURETOR-INTAKE-ROTARY-DISC-COVER-FAST-SHIP-/164070193595

I’ve got PB Blaster soaking in the 78 cylinder. Gonna let it work for a few days. I hope I can get it unstuck, because this engine seems in better condition otherwise. I’ve got an intake coming for the 75, and a petcock. I ordered this Clymer manual:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002OK9HGW/

Got my cast iron replacement cylinder today. $38 eBay score! Looks good, like it’s not been bored over yet, I don’t think. My Starrett mic shows 1.945” X 25.4=49.4mm. It has a few light scratches, that should hone out just fine.

909DCC70-6126-49D7-B5E6-F8D73B91BC04.jpeg
0D3B247F-95D6-4E57-A0C6-5EAAAD835FF1.jpeg
CAD611E9-8A31-4534-AA62-92A85EF77EE6.jpeg

Gonna run it up to the local machine shop, and have them mic it. Just to be sure.

Pushrod Fifty /

Ive brought nos aftermarket pistons that were a few thousanths oversize, allowing a rigid hone to clean up and have the correct clearance.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account