Anybody into ham radio/SWL'ing?

Recently got back into shortwave after I functionally restored an old Hallicrafters S120. It's amazing how much the bands have changed. I've been able to get Radio Cuba, China and Alex Jones.. of course good ol' WWV..the rest is religious programming other than the 75-80m ham band, this radio is horrible for SSB...

Should be getting some QSL's in the mail soon, I'm sad I quit this hobby around 16 yrs ago. Soo much has changed...

I desperately need to go meet my local club and get myself a better SSB capable setup.

Think I'm going to get my tech licence, really interested in RTTY.

Re: Anybody into ham radio/SWL'ing?

Pushrod Fifty /

I have a few tube SW radios that I fixed up, used to listen to them a lot but kind of lost interest after awhile. Have a Radio Shack portable digital that pulls in pretty good but it's easier to tune around on the analog ones.

Those radio shack models are really nice. Made by sangean, they make the c.crane stuff now.

I need to dig out my magnum S-9 "black radio". Ten meter radio converted to trans./ receive on citizens band. Used to talk some serious skip with the Texas Star 500 kicker behind it.

MAGNUM_S-9.jpg

(edited)

When I was a kid, I was big into SW and CB SSB on the 'funny' channels above 40.

Even got a QSL card from the west coast of Africa, all on 12 watts. CBs and the kickers / extra channels are like registering a kitted moped as a 49cc. I just use a Grundig YachtBoy 400 for SW every once and while.(edited)

not really, but i do feed ham to my amazon alexa bot

KI6VST here. I own a CB Shop (Nomad CB Shop, Evanston Wyoming) Don't get much time chase Dx.

I closed my cb sales and repair shop in late 90's and still have a few mobile kickers and probably can dig up a galaxy 44 and a galaxy 77 that works but needs repair along with a few other things if anybody is in to that stuff today and needs any of it

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

I have(had...do they expire?) a novice license since 1979-80. I don’t even remember the call letters.

I could send but couldn’t receive the required 12 words per minute of morse code to pass for the technician license, which gave you the privilege of “voice” communication. What a stupid requirement. I had the “technical” part no problem being an electronics student.

I’ve been running part 15 interference ever since.

Fuck the FCC.

Angry Hipster /
sw2.jpg
sw1.jpg

My mother bought me this old Shortwave/Longwave radio from the Salvation Army for like ten bucks when I was a kid. I still have it and it still works, though it looks crusty/rusty. I managed to break the antenna and kind of just stuck it back.

I'd like to find an external antenna for it, but don't know what to buy. Any of you guys know?

Not sure you can find a direct replacement but if it was me i would look at some radios in flea markets ,thrift stores or yard sales that have a simular antenna if i wanted to replace it to restore it..

Angry Hipster /

> Pops Peds Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Not sure you can find a direct replacement but if it was me i would look

> at some radios in flea markets ,thrift stores or yard sales that have a

> simular antenna if i wanted to replace it to restore it..

I was wondering if some universal type plug in antenna existed. It has a port where one can be connected. It's blocked by the camera flash, but you can see where it says ext ant.(edited)

> Angry Hipster Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Pops Peds Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Not sure you can find a direct replacement but if it was me i would

> look

>

> > at some radios in flea markets ,thrift stores or yard sales that have

> a

>

> > simular antenna if i wanted to replace it to restore it..

>

> I was wondering if some universal type plug in antenna existed. It has a

> port where one can be connected. It's blocked by the camera flash, but

> you can see where it says ext ant.

Looks like a mini plug but i don't see well ..look on ebay for something with that type plug(edited)

Angry Hipster /
radioant.jpg

I might try this. It's cheap and has different adapters. The cool thing is that it converts to coaxial and if it works then that means I can hook the radio up to this old outdoor giant TV antenna next to my house.

Sounds like a plan ..where there's a will there's a way

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account