Electric advertising clock repair

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Anyone have experience repairing or replacing electric clock motors? I have a few vintage Coke clocks like this one that have burned out motors. I hate to replace them with those cheap battery powered clock movements. Any ideas or thoughts?

417800AF-302D-41B6-9CB4-6E47C4D2C792.jpeg

Re: Electric advertising clock repair

You can buy replacements motors on eBay. It’s a pretty easy fix. I went thru a neon clock phase a few years ago.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

The problem is that the original electric motors are not attached to the face of the clock, they are mounted to the back plate. Replacement motors are typically mounted to the face of the clock. If I go that route, the movement will be visible when the light is on inside the clock. It’ll look cheesy. That’s my dilemma.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

I’ve dealt with timesavers for years. They have good prices on hard to find parts for mechanical clocks. 30 hour, 8 day, anniversary clock parts, etc....

But i do remember a section in their catalog for electric. Maybe search their site for “electric” or “synchronous”.

https://timesavers.com

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

I just pulled a search on their site for “motor” and got several hits.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Thanks! Now I need to try to match the original motor to something of similar orientation and dimensions. That’s the hard part.

Pushrod Fifty /

If the winding has continuity, could just be a matter of cleaning and oiling the movement.

Was thinking along those lines myself, I LOVE those old clocks, if it's really quiet you can hear them run....a reminder of a much slower, simpler time, I hope you get them fixed up.

Synchron clock motor search should get you started in the right direction.

I do feel your pain Larry...

20180714_234840.jpg
20180714_234855.jpg
20180714_234943.jpg

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Very nice vintage pepsi clock! I have a 50’s NOS pepsi clock I’m waiting to hang in my new house in VA when it’s done.

As you can see, it’s not easy to find a motor with the right dimensions and orientation, as well as the same shaft length. I’m gonna try to match it up the best I can.

I had 3 like these. Every 6 seconds the card would flip showing a new advertisement. Ads were all hand painted. I sold them to a dealer about 3 years ago. The one shown is a salesman demo.

E7F94F0C-643E-4C27-ADBB-0D631F807D9A.jpeg

Larry, the point of failure on these is almost always the grease inside the gearbox. You have two options, first heat the motor/gearbox assy with a heat gun and plug it in. Around 50% of the time this is enough to get it running again..

Option two is an alcohol soak. You'll start seeing grease seep out and when you do try to move it manually. If it frees up let it dry and drip in some 3 in 1 oil.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Thanks, I’ll give it a shot and report back.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Took apart one of my vintage Coke clocks today. I determined that the clock's motor is ticking away fine, but one of the gears is intermittently not turning. I'm gonna take a look at one of my other Coke clocks and see if I can cannibalize any of the parts to make one good clock out of the two. Fingers crossed.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Well, I dug into my other Coke clock and found that the motor is fine, but the movement is shot. I managed to got a hold of the manufacturer of the original Synchron motor/movement and they said the movement is obsolete. Oh well....

Doesn't mean that no replacements exist...

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

There are no direct replacements according to the manufacturer. However, I found a similar electric movement/motor on eBay that I can use with some small mods to the clock. Only $65 and it’’ll be back in business.....I hope. (edited)

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

First one is done. It’s whisper quiet.

C8ABCD7C-6C5C-4A10-9448-4F6D422C050B.jpeg

Looking good Larry. Gonna sell repair kits now?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Nope....hahaha. One addictive hobby is enough!

I recently fixed up an old clock from my grandfather, it was a fun and fulilling project!

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I’ve restored five old advertising clocks now. It is a helluva lot of fun to get them lit up and going again. It’s a very similar feeling of accomplishment and pride when you resurrect an old non-running moped. Not a bad hobby if you can find them at the right price. (edited)

> Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I’ve restored five old advertising clocks now. It is a helluva lot of

> fun to get them lit up and going again. It’s a very similar feeling of

> accomplishment and pride when you resurrect an old non-running moped.

> Not a bad hobby if you can find them at the right price.

So I need to send mine to you.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Your Pepsi clock is a beauty! I’d love to restore it, but Just the cost of shipping and parts may make it not cost feasible for you. If you pull that motor and movement off the clock, you can find the part number and do a google or eBay search to source a new one. Usually the motor still works. It’s the movement that fails. Movements and motors are usually sold together. If you can fix a moped, then a clock resto will be a breeze for you. (edited)

can you have the pepsi and coke in the same room together?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Restored another 1963 Coke clock. New and improved, smaller ballast and clock motor/movement. I’m giving this one to my son for his man cave.

B98040D2-2CEC-4CDD-876D-83C24A682048.jpeg

So are collecting or dealing? That looks better than new btw (edited)

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

For now, just collecting and restoring for myself and for family members. I’ve got another fixer upper Coke clock on the way for restoration. (edited)

I'm into neon as a hobby. There is something about the warm glow that soothes me inside and out.

20141024_215133.jpg
20141016_202815.jpg
20150115_020724.jpg

(edited)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account