Scooters

Pushrod Fifty /

I have had 2 old Vespas and an Elite 50. They all never really liked to stay upright on the stands. The riding positions were horrible. The Vespas were a bitch to start even after being gone thru thouroughly. The forums for them suck, either the people are Vespa snobs or trashy plastic scooter types who no nothing about mechanics. I got kicked out of a forum after making one post just stating what I had.(edited)

Re: Scooters

I've had that thought too., scooter people vs moped people. it's a different crowd for sure. We went to alotta the scooter rallies, where there's a lotta vintage vespa folks really pretty inline with moped mentality, and some of em convert haha, just riding cheap custom old shitboxes and having fun. but there's also a lot of folks on bigger and/or newer bikes, repaired by dealerships and ridden a couple dozen times a year. the rally rides are steady speed and 2x2, the destinations and itineraries very neatly tidy and planned, and mostly staying in hotels vs crashing on floors.

I started with a scooter. I took it to a dealer to change the oil. I derestricted the CDI, and THEN RE-RESTRICTED it so the motor could last longer. totally different mentality.

But I was just saying a similar thing in the harley thread, there are scooter people and there are moped people with scooters. I had a vespa that was fun as hell, it was a ratty POS and I worked on it often and bashed it around hard. i've had lots of other scooters.

This was my favorite ever - my "spee":

What happens when you take the middle out of a spree? spee! make small things smaller!

Dirty30 Dillon /

I would probably sell every moped I have prior to selling my Lambretta Cento.

It's oldest bike I have, but it's dead simple, super reliable and so stable at 45.

IMG_20190917_2100331.jpg

Pushrod Fifty /
20200204_122343.jpg

It's awesome. I just picked up a Motobi 125. It's a little rough but not rusty. Hasn't ran for 30 years. Good compression, but no spark. I paid 800.00 for it delivered from RI. I figured it was a good investment at that price for a rare bike.

20200204_123044.jpg

(edited)

I have this realy roached 59 Mitsubishi pigeon that I want to body swap onto this elite 80. It should work with some fab and will keep it super ratty.

20181209_155311.jpg

Elite 80

20181209_155243.jpg
20181209_153652.jpg

On my honda eve, the most fitting sticker of them all. I like all bikes, anything with 2 wheels is fun.

Screenshot_20200206-154039_Instagram.jpg
20200118_151226.jpg

Dirty30 Dillon /

That Motobi is pretty whacky, backwards pointing cylinder with a forward pointing exhaust

I ride & record Vespa / Lambretta rallies

I ride & record Ruckus / Grom rallies

but my favorite is to ride & record & Moped rallies!

-Honest²

Pushrod Fifty /

The Pidgeon transplant looks cool. The Eve is awesome, I like the red with blue seat. I would definately take an Aero if I could find one. They look a little longer.

Motobi- Yea its a pretty weird design but I like the 16" spoke rims, front pillion, and the steering head. Its a real small bike. The muffler is mounted forward but the pipe points back. The can is flat and tucked right under the floor.

I think all Motobis are cool. I had the 60s moped that was Wards branded with a single speed engine. The Euro version had 3 speeds on the bar.

The Motobi Eggs and 2t 50cc bikes are really awesome. I havent seen any of those here. Beggars cant be choosers, I took what could find to have a vintage Italian bike. Lucky to find something that hasnt been messed with.

Men,that is one `BUNCH OF UGLY' you just posted on here...LOL!

I brought home an orphan scooter nobody wanted yesterday..it is butt ugly..it did start up after i tinkered with it for a while ..i never thought it would but couldn't resist trying it.

20200206_065155.jpg

Pushrod Fifty /

OT is what yer lookin at..

I found something like that in the woods, it was the ass end if an Elite, I got $140.00 for it on craigslist. I hauled it out just because I didnt want the woods littered up but was surprised to get some cash for my efforts.(edited)

It is an 86 spree..had weeds growing out of the seat foam..the started looked like it was toast but i cleaned it up this afternoon and it works fine now..had to unfreeze the kick starter yesterday to start it..actually that what i love to do is take something like that and make it run..

I've always loved my scooters..... mid 80s japanese anything has been super reliable and fun. My 85 Gyro is a bit off topic but similar specs to scooters. Enjoyed Vespa 150 4 speed. Just picked up a newer Vespa 150 it's got the most confident brakes ever!

I for a short while owned a 2t Stella. It was very cool. Fucking nerve racking on the freeway tho.

Really want to import a simson schwalbe someday.

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I've had that thought too., scooter people vs moped people. it's a

> different crowd for sure. We went to alotta the scooter rallies, where

> there's a lotta vintage vespa folks really pretty inline with moped

> mentality, and some of em convert haha, just riding cheap custom old

> shitboxes and having fun. but there's also a lot of folks on bigger

> and/or newer bikes, repaired by dealerships and ridden a couple dozen

> times a year. the rally rides are steady speed and 2x2, the destinations

> and itineraries very neatly tidy and planned, and mostly staying in

> hotels vs crashing on floors.

>

> I started with a scooter. I took it to a dealer to change the oil. I

> derestricted the CDI, and THEN RE-RESTRICTED it so the motor could last

> longer. totally different mentality.

>

> But I was just saying a similar thing in the harley thread, there are

> scooter people and there are moped people with scooters. I had a vespa

> that was fun as hell, it was a ratty POS and I worked on it often and

> bashed it around hard. i've had lots of other scooters.

>

> This was my favorite ever - my "spee":

>

> What happens when you take the middle out of a spree? spee! make small

> things smaller!

>

> http://garage.1977mopeds.com/assets/images/builds/12226/94d7d7d07b2d44c6d3b5149ec0ee34fe.jpg

^ I SO forgot about this! :) I got a scooter this November, aside from having to learn a new riding style due to small wheelbase/wheels it is a very decent bike, I have to say as I age I REALLY appreciate the comfort of the seat and having electric start, this has a kick start as a back-up, now if I can learn to ride it before it kills me! :) It's nowhere near as cool as a moped attention getting wise, but it sure works well for what it is, I stayed "true", it's a 2 stroke. :)

007.jpg

been to a scooter rally, mostly vintage vespa's. it's a very different crowd aha

got my gf a '65 yamaha U5, i've posted it before. i guess technically it's a scooter.... 50cc 3spd semi auto, does like 37 ish

some scooters can be cool... sometimes, but for the most part it's mopeds or bust

U51.jpg

> Chris Szuba Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> been to a scooter rally, mostly vintage vespa's. it's a very different

> crowd aha

>

> got my gf a '65 yamaha U5, i've posted it before. i guess technically

> it's a scooter.... 50cc 3spd semi auto, does like 37 ish

>

> some scooters can be cool... sometimes, but for the most part it's

> mopeds or bust

> >

Is that a rotory valve engine like the yg1? I wonder if the 80cc cylinder fits on it? I may have an extra top end kicking around.

IMG_0082.jpg

Pushrod Fifty /

Step-thrus are awesome.

so much love for the legshield underbone cub style bikes.

also like top of my wishlists the past few years is simson's schwalbe.

That's awesome, love the bar end signals!

Pushrod Fifty /

Thats awesome. Did someone deck the front end or is it stock? That front hub is massive.

Yeah that hubs bigger than stock.

Not a scooter guy but I have respect for them. My buddy has a honda elite 50 with a 125cc stroker motor that will scare the shit out of you. U hammer that thing and it takes off like a rocket and the speedo just pegs before u can get a look. So weird to have those little wheels but I do feel safer than my old 80cc kitted rigid pepi. At least the elite will stop. I have another kitted Italian bike that has been in the shed for years that has a wheel from a 64 yamaha yg1 and has a massive front drum. Moped brakes always scare me. The mopeds still look way cool. Can only make a scooter look a little more euro or some shit.(edited)

Pushrod Fifty /

The Elite 50 that I had was pretty peppy, peg the throttle and it jumped right up to top speed in no time and took on steep hills no prob. The erogonomics were horrible on it, I couldnt sit on it for more than 5 miles.

It was a freebee, non running but mint. Just needed exhaust cleaning.

For that Motobi to be a rider for me, I will have to move the seat back 6".

The small jap bikes have excellent brakes. Worth lacing in a front hub of it will fit into a moped fork.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I own a 150cc Vespa, a 200cc Vespa, two genuine buddies (125 & 170cc) and a 50 and 125cc Honda Aero. Love them all.(edited)

Pushrod Fifty /

I would have brought your Aero 50 if I was closer. The Areos are best looking of the modern scoots.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I like my two stroke Aeros more than the four stroke Elites I had. They are much peppier than the elites.

I like my mopeds, I like my scooters, i traded my motorcycle for a Tomos hu have been riding my son's 750 Yammie around enough to decide I'm buying a bagger.

I'm sort of lazy and prefer easy to deal with stuff. I like the modern Minarelli based scooter engines for that reason.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account