Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

Example, Nine Inch Nails, Skinny Puppy, Radiohead, etc. Do people actually like that shit? It's just boring and does nothing for me.

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

I used to like nin when I was a sad teenager that thought nobody loved him and the world was evil. I was also one of those kids that hated pop music.lol grrrr, how dare you people be happy and like happy music.

Radiohead has a few ok songs but I'm not a fan. Recently I've really gotten into classical music.

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

Nine inch nails and radiohead does nothing for me, no matter how many times I listened to an album or two and tried to find a reason to like it.

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

Nine inch nails and radiohead does nothing for me, no matter how many times I listened to an album or two and tried to find a reason to like it.

Duplicate message? huh what?

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean something isn't good.

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Just because you don't like something doesn't mean something isn't good.

If i didn't know better, I'd think the OP was 15.(edited)

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

♣Slew Foot♣ /

The cure? Morroon 5 wu tang. Icp ?

Weird Al?

Beethoven

Mozart? Chopin? The Beatles?

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> The cure? Morroon 5 wu tang. Icp ?

>

> Weird Al?

>

> Beethoven

>

> Mozart? Chopin? The Beatles?

Dude, I saw weird al in concert. He puts on a pretty good show. Radiohead is alright too.

The real question is does anybody like all the new hip hop autotune bullcrap on the radio? #trash

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Weird Al is underestimated

Let's flip the script. Bands/songs you don't wanto admit liking...

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

> The Dude Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> The real question is does anybody like all the new hip hop autotune

> bullcrap on the radio? #trash

I don't like it, but i'm in my thirties. I'm pretty shure hundreds of millions of young people are really into that music.

It's pretty normal for old people to dislike the music of a younger generation, that doesn't necessarily make it bad.

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

♣Slew Foot♣ /

But there is great new stuff I love and I am a dustbin...

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

I personally really enjoy Tom Waits. A lot. But I often get the sentiment from others that "people only like tom waits because it's cool" not because it's good. Though usually I find this to be the fault of the critic rather than the fan or the band, their inability to listen deeply enough or understand what makes it good.

I don't love or dislike radiohead, I like many of their songs and can't care about others, but I cannot agree they're liked only for being cool. There's a very high level of talent, but also an deep understanding of music - they're able to be incredibly broad with their range of styles and do each of them quite well, yet still uniquely, never derivative. Though I agree people praise them perhaps too religiously, they're deserving of much of that praise

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

We took the kids to see Weird Al back in the day. I was like WTF.... what ever. But I was impressed. The guy has talent, his concert was great. Made me a fan!

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

♣Slew Foot♣ /

This was the apex of it for me. I was there.

I admit I like Suzanne Vega...

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

♣Slew Foot♣ /

And Natalie merchant. Of 10,000 maniacs fame.

Lest we ever forget Devo

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

Dirty30 Dillon /

Both NIN and Radiohead have been critically acclaimed bands for decades now, if you don't like them it is because of your taste in music, not because they are just perceived as cool

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

If you say you like any band because it's cool not because you do, you are rather spineless.

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

Overpriced Parts /

I like all types of music if it’s fresh not a cover of a cover of a cover tune.

Mostly I liked my own music, specially some of the stuff I did in the early 80s it’s a shame that most all tapes are lost or collaborators/bandmates took them,

If I only knew when I was 21 years old (green arrows in picture) then like I do now I would’ve kept my mid 1960s (blonde case) early 70s (on floor) fender telecaster customs and mid 60 blackface fender amp, I could’ve bought a new car with the proceeds of selling them for what they go for nowadays, .

ACC0FA3E-725C-4144-BCB2-F282DD077920.jpeg

Making your own music is relatively easy and fun, make a small riff and or beat make a lyric, and build from it, the simpler the better really that’s why hip-hop music is very popular because most people can rhyme stuff so make up a Rhyme/lyric record it, then add to it,

Some of the most popular songs in the past are very simple two-three chord songs so with any instrument or just using your voice you could come up with three notes and or three different beats Record it and then build from that,

I recommend/I like to make at least two parts to a song then come up with more lyrics and a bridge and or other parts and build on it,

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

devo's great, mark mothersbaugh is a whacky dude who for sure did a buncha shit just to be weird but things'd be pretty damn boring if nobody ever pushed

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

DD977079-A8BF-4FA8-A407-648EFF76D5AD.jpeg

My first band. Give it a listen on Spotify. Tell me whatcha think. I got tough skin. I’d really like to hear your opinions.

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

Never forget DEVO.

But I've never heard anyone say they like them to try to be cool. Kinda the opposite.

Saw them for the first time in 1980 in Tucson. My friend had an extra ticket. I was 11 and listened to Molly hatchet and Sabbath, etc, thanks to my older brother.

My first reaction was "fuck that new wave shit."

But the show blew me away. Dudes up on stage having fun, messing with the audience, laughing, and generally loving what they were doing, compared to arena rock bands pretending they were gods.

Changed my life. Gateway to punk rock.

When Im asked, I always say Devo is my favorite band. And people always say " the whip-it guys?"

Listen 'em to "penetration in the centerfold" and they can't believe it's the same band.

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Decades ahead of their time.

Dale bozio from missing persons could've hit the top if she was ten years later.

I think I met her at a pub in coopersburg owned by Suzanne Sommers...

Yes that threes co.

I really do feel like Forrest Gump.... I was fixing payphones...me caveman me fix Zeppelin...

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

Brad William /

I only wonder why our musical grasp weakens so commonly with age. Ill be 60 in november. Most of my generation is stuck firmly in the 70's musically. Its fucking disspiriting. There is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much extraordinary, incredible, soul nourishing music being made.. right now, in soneone's studio, in their garage, on small stages, in far away countries and cities, on the world wide web.... I meet people my age who can't/won't, or are constitutionally ubable to get beyond the Rolling Stones, as great as they were/ are, and i always wonder at their, well, lack of wonder.

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Not me bro

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

Overpriced Parts /

> Brad William Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I only wonder why our musical grasp weakens so commonly with age. Ill be

> 60 in november. Most of my generation is stuck firmly in the 70's

> musically. Its fucking disspiriting. There is

> sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much extraordinary,

> incredible, soul nourishing music being made.. right now, in soneone's

> studio, in their garage, on small stages, in far away countries and

> cities, on the world wide web.... I meet people my age who can't/won't,

> or are constitutionally ubable to get beyond the Rolling Stones, as

> great as they were/ are, and i always wonder at their, well, lack of

> wonder.

I’m 59 and saw the stones too, People my age We know like all kinds of music like me too so maybe it’s a demographic thing or who knows,

Having kids/grandkids and friends that have kids/grandkids there’s a lot of us like old children’s music, Xmas music and the “greatest generation” big band music as well as black southern blues, classic country, spanish as well as most new music because of kids and grandkids

Seems like that 70s rock music is getting kind of gotten sick of.

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

I sat next to dale bozio at a club in Yorba Linda CA. She was hammered and threw a glass beer mug at the giant mirror behind the bar. Shattering it. She got the boot.

The club had 8x10s of all the famous stars that performed there, and they put a giant red X over hers.

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Damn. Still the same...

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

smash mouth, sugar ray, 311, sublime

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

It's our brains, it usually gets harder to accept new things as we age. Like unisex bathrooms, unleaded gas, and civil rights. It's generally the olds who resist that type of stuff.

giphy-30.gif

Re: Bands people say they like, but probably don't, just because it's "cool"

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

I’ll be 57 in a few months. I have to change the station when zepplin comes on. I had most of their albums in my teens, but i feel like i could eat a bullet if i had to sit thru stairway to heaven one more time.

But on the other hand, I still usually turn it up if it’s bon scott ac/dc. It’s just fun music, not all serious like zepplin. That’s the difference for me. I like a lot of new music as long as it’s got a harder beat and just fun.

That ALASKALASKA band??. 45 seconds of it was too much for me. And I don’t give a shit about the lyrics when i can’t stomach the music.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account