MN motorcycle show

Went tonight, was well, underwhelmed, was not awful, but...small? Item's of note, electric Harly demo was really cool, the Honda Cub, disappointing, sort of, fit and finish are what is expected of Honda, PERFECT, but wheelbase seems shorter than my Hobbit? ABS is a plus, but short wheelbase made it seem like it was designed for peeps about 5'5? I did not fit on it well at all, red seat is abhorrent! but comfortable. No long seat avail, yet, according to rep. A Passport is cheaper and better, the 125 Cub see's 60? :/? My MB-5 went 53! Onyx for the price. Monkey is stupid cute, but useless unless you have big $ to drop on a toy. The Goldwing nvt I think, blacked out Gold-wing with auto trans, no top trunk, was SUPER bad ass but way too big for me, but were I two inches taller and 25k richer, would rock it hard. It looks MEAN! Honda has a huge array of bikes in the 250-300 class, all is so modern, Kawi and Yamaha the same, they still make the Metropolitan and the ruckus, but you had to look for them, super expensive new, but in line with today's dollars. Suzuki was there as well, but meh, atv's a plenty, yawn. Ural had a slot, sooo cool, but I never winter ride so leave that for the hard core group. ;) One machine got me going, the Can-am Ryker, holy fuck how cool, reverse trike! Full auto, one brake pedal, two engine sizes a 900, and a 600, the 600 is avail in flat black and I would so rock one! Rotax makes a great engine, fuel injected, you can lease one too! My fave due to age was the vintage section, old Honda's, a Black shadow, a ct-90 an '80's Honda Hawk, (auto) a Yamaha rz250....mmmm I was home. You could smell the gasoline....:) It was worth going, but not every year unless you are a racer type rider.

Re: MN motorcycle show

I hoping for the cross cub. My dad bought the new monkey and now with a yoshi exhaust and tail eliminator it looks good. Just that bulky airbox is a huge turn off for me. Had visited the dealer a while back and they had one of the special edition cbr1000rr bikes, insta-boner. The color scheme reminded me of my old vfr750f.

I love the cub's red seat! It was intended to be a throwback to the first production cub, and only for 1st year.

they've since introduced the red/white colorway and going forward I think will have more colors.

The new trail though, holy hell - so rad!!!

To me the monkey seemed like a rather haphazard mishmash of vintage looking parts slapped on a grom with a less tight finish and an extra $1000 on the pricetag.

new goldwing is pretty impressive for such a sortof boring old staple:

I remember also being impressed by the smaller range. I mean you'd seen recently most of the 250 standards and small bikes getting more powerful and larger (intro Ninja 250 is now a 400) but there's the comeback of some vintage styles and some smaller bikes in a wider range of style trying to entice new riders.

I kinda liked the smaller suzukis, vanvan and tu250, even the GW and always the DR's

I dunno, If I had any of the bikes there (anything new) it'd be to sell it and buy some old used garbage haha

That Black 'Wing is SO bad ass, but it's HUGE! It would not be safe for me to ride. On the flip side, the Cub was much smaller than I envisioned, was cramped on it, I expect that on the Hobbit, but it seemed smaller than the Passport? Maybe just shorter, also seemed lower to the ground, a shame since it is a REALLY nice bike.

the thing i personally disliked about the cub was it felt like the frame dimensions were designed to a 17" wider wheel and the gaps on the 16's lookd awkward

i actually prefer the spoked drum wheels on the CT remake

I agree.

Brad William /

If Honda ever sent a 250cc version of this XL125v to my local dealer Id walk out the door with it this minute. Hell, even the 125cc version. It would easily serve 99 percent of my needs, nimbly, and economically. And it's beautifully simple and functional looking.

Soooooo many nice models of smaller cc bikes that we never see in the US because of our senseless horsepower madness.

You may need to click on the image. Its not playing nice with my phone.(edited)

Looks like a vtr interceptor 250. we got those here for a while, wild '80's paint scheme's! :) Check one out, they can be had pretty cheap.

Brad William /

Ive seen the vtr250. Last model years are gettting on in years. Itd be hard to find one that didnt need work. Carbs vs injection. 99% road bike.

Varadero would be new, affordable, and better equipped for all around fun and dual-adventure riding.

Lots of learners outside the US found these XL125v so versatile and easy to own that they just kept them after getting permitted and explored europe, phillipines, se asia, and beyond. Im jealous.(edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account