Steak

Pushrod Fifty /

Buy a killer steak at a general store in the upper eastern part of Vermont that is from locally raised cattle for so cheap.

20190714_175939.jpg

rent a campground and make a fire in the fire pit, cook medium, add salt, pepper, and crack a PBR.

Re: Steak

> John Maxson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Buy a killer steak at a general store in the upper eastern part of

> Vermont that is from locally raised cattle for so cheap. rent a

> campground and make a fire in the fire pit, cook medium, add salt,

> pepper, and crack a PBR.

hahaha right on!

Oh hell yea.

I'm not a big steak fan but i can dig it. If i do eat steak, simple salt & pepper over a fire is the best way to do it

i love vermont, i was just in white river area over christmas, my uncle just moved to hanover

Pushrod Fifty /

Vermont is awesome for sure.

Brad William /

The hood of my electric range vents outside. Steaks, burgers, any meats, pizza, lasagna...hell, anything savory that can be baked, gets tossed in the oven with a 1/4 cup of wood chips under the bottom element. Just the bagged chips of oak, mesquite, etc you get at the store. The smoke just gently curls up out of the vent and into the hood, out to the deck, while i sit back with a beer. Fucking perfect everytime. None of the burnt grease char and smell that sometimes results from too much fat burning on red hot coals. Just pure spiced and smokey goodness. More than 1/4 cup is overkill so a bag of chips lasts a very long time.

YMMV if you are married or share the oven with others. I have no such constraints.

Pushrod Fifty /

Great concept. I have a grill in my backyard but also a fire pit. Havent cooked on it yet but some weekend Im going to grill a steak on it.

Overpriced Parts /

Local sourced grass fed meat and farm veggies are better for you,

With no salt but garlic and pepper blend/spices rub and a bit of homemade sauce there’s no gamey taste whatsoever, I put same on veggies and red skin potatoes halfs.

Not a big red meat eater but The Tomahawk steak was so good (cooked just a hair more then medium) I ate almost 3/4 of it and it was 2.5 lb

36085D91-6C34-4C24-A7AD-D00E3DD9D318.jpeg

Pushrod Fifty /

I feel like the beef in Vermont is as local and grass fed as you can get. I see a lot of green fields and cows roaming in it. The color of the meat is natural dark red/purpleish, no red dye. Basically farm to market.

Last year I was lucky enough to eat a ribeye from an oooold retired dairy cow. Sadly our system favors young cows for meat and most are harvested very young. This old girl was like 9 and had lived on my buddies property for 3 years eating grass and ferns until she broke her leg..

I can not explain how good it was, marbeling looked like a5 Japanese beef and the fat was bright yellow. I felt like I had never tasted what beef really tasted like before... One of the best meals of my life. Salt pepper and just under medium rare, cooked over wood. Not charcoal.

I just had another slaughtered Friday. I raise my own grass fed Lowline Angus. I finish them with a blend of peas, barley, oats and corn for 90 days. It will hang at the butcher shop for 21 days, the max USDA allows. Then it’ll be cut to my specifications, with 1.75” thick ribeyes, and 1.25” thick T-bones. 6 pound roasts and lots of 80/20 ground.

Then ima do it again next year, same time.

Hey Overpriced, so when's dinner? Ill be there and ill bring the beer.

Pushrod Fifty /

That's awesome. Good small farm raised cattle. I just brought a few Angus sirloins from a little good market in Guilford, CT not so far away. They look awesome. Gonna grill them up tonight for some company. Try to get a pic of them. They should just fit in my Weber Q.

Overpriced Parts /

> Seth B Wrote:

> I just had another slaughtered Friday. I raise my own grass fed Lowline

> Angus. I finish them with a blend of peas, barley, oats and corn for 90

> days. It will hang at the butcher shop for 21 days, the max USDA allows.

> Then it’ll be cut to my specifications, with 1.75” thick ribeyes, and

> 1.25” thick T-bones. 6 pound roasts and lots of 80/20 ground.

>

> Then ima do it again next year, same time.

That sounds great for flavorwise but if you feed them anything other than grass before slaughter it takes away omega 3’s as well as most corn for feed is GMO‘s

True corn and that other stuff makes the beef taste good because corn taste better than grass that’s for sure but it takes away the good stuff in the meat,

My wife having two heart surgeries and me with my multiple surgeries blood clots etc. we will not eat any beef, that is not grass fed up until slaughter because The fats become omega 6 not 3 as well as other not so good things,

Yes feeder type cattle taste delicious there’s no two ways about it But the fats and amino acids are completely different,

We will eat nothing but organic chicken that is free roaming also, they need to eat bugs and peck on the ground not just sit there force fed mixtures of stuff thrown in their face,

I’m sure you can get more money for your cattle if it was grass fed from start to finish!

At least around here you can,

Pushrod Fifty /
20200130_171357.jpg

This is 2 of the steaks.

Grass finished beef is too rubbery for my liking, and too lean for my taste. I buy my grain from a local farmer I know, and he grinds/mixes it as I need it. I live in commercial wheat/barley/oat/field pea/garbanzo land, so my grains are grown on local farms too. But they are all GMO. So that sucks. I live in Monsanto, ahem I mean Bayer, country. I raise and finish it the way it tastes best to me, and it’s never for sale. We have a large family spread between three households.

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> That sounds great for flavorwise but if you feed them anything other

> than grass before slaughter it takes away omega 3’s as well as most corn

> for feed is GMO‘s

>

You should read up on omega 3, there is no evidence that it's good for you.

Unfortunately,we don't grill out. We just go to Longhorn or The Ribber at Portsmouth for great steaks.

I'm jealous,Maxson.

Taking my Omega 3 fish oil now...…..LOL!(edited)

Also, good steak cooked beyond mid rare is burnt. Rare is better, and a Chicago Blue Porterhouse is divine.

> Seth B Wrote:

> Also, good steak cooked beyond mid rare is burnt. Rare is better, and a

> Chicago Blue Porterhouse is divine.

That's yer opinion and yer entitled to it. My steak will have NO pink,which means well done or extra well.

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> > Seth B Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Also, good steak cooked beyond mid rare is burnt. Rare is better, and

> a

>

> > Chicago Blue Porterhouse is divine.

>

> That's yer opinion and yer entitled to it. My steak will have NO

> pink,which means well done or extra well.

Midwest folks never could cook. ;)

I’ve professionally refused to serve beef cooked well done. I won’t cook a burger past mid well- it must have a little pink. But I know where and how my beef lives and dies and is processed. Over cooking beef destroys nutrients and can make it carcinogenic, so I’ve read. Plus it tastes bad.

Med rare is the way, any more is burnt. :/ Yuk

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> ------------------------------------------------------

> That's yer opinion and yer entitled to it. My steak will have NO

> pink,which means well done or extra well.

Its no surprise to anyone here that you have absolutely no taste.

I've worked in restaurants where we chucked steaks in the deep fryer and finished them off in the microwave when some fucktard ordered it "well done"

> Seth B Wrote:

> > Don Ohio Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > > Seth B Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > Also, good steak cooked beyond mid rare is burnt. Rare is better,

> and

>

> > a

>

> >

>

> > > Chicago Blue Porterhouse is divine.

>

> >

>

> > That's yer opinion and yer entitled to it. My steak will have NO

>

> > pink,which means well done or extra well.

>

> Midwest folks never could cook. ;)

>

> I’ve professionally refused to serve beef cooked well done. I won’t cook

> a burger past mid well- it must have a little pink. But I know where and

> how my beef lives and dies and is processed. Over cooking beef destroys

> nutrients and can make it carcinogenic, so I’ve read. Plus it tastes

> bad.

You PROFESSIONALLY need to get your attitude adjusted as far as safely cooked beef is concerned. I wouldn't want a hard-headed so-called Chef messing with any order(remember that term, ORDER, which is an ORDER to you) of the customer.

These stubborn chefs(so-called) DO exist, so best to find out in advance who or WHAT is cooking yer food. LOL!

If you order a chef to destroy a good piece of meat, you will get a destroyed piece of meat.

Luckily the restaurant i work a now just refuses to destroy steaks.

All the places I've gone to enjoy steak have had these choices...…...rare , medium rare,medium, medium well, WELL DONE.

So your ARROGANCE concerning steak is sort of a surprise to me. Some people do not like bloody juice running out of the meat.Of course, Rock-Thrower, your opinions don't carry much weight with me. LOL!

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> All the places I've gone to enjoy steak have had these

> choices...…...rare , medium rare,medium, medium well, WELL DONE.

>

> So your ARROGANCE concerning steak is sort of a surprise to me. Some

> me people do not like bloody juice running out of the meat.Of course,

> Rock-Thrower, your opinions don't carry much weight with me. LOL!

It's okay Don. The restaurant industry doesn't work according to you. I wouldn't allow you to eat in my restaurant, with that attitude, and if you ever ORDER any of my staff to do anything, I'll have you trespassed. My arrogance is superior to your ignorance. Good day.

Seth said:` My arrogance is superior to your ignorance. Good day.'

I'd say your ARROGANCE definitely surpasses my IGNORANCE...…….LOL!

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> All the places I've gone to enjoy steak have had these

> choices...…...rare , medium rare,medium, medium well, WELL DONE.

>

> So your ARROGANCE concerning steak is sort of a surprise to me. Some

> me people do not like bloody juice running out of the meat.Of course,

> Rock-Thrower, your opinions don't carry much weight with me. LOL!

If you don't like steak, don't order steak. If you destroy it well done you get rid of all flavour and texture so it's a waste of good meat.

The only steak we sell costs 90$ so luckily we don't have many barbarians ordering it.

Doesn't get much fresher than this...and none of these steaks were cooked "well done" ;) but to each their own.(edited)

20171119_110245.jpg
20171215_154211.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account