VANLIFE

Practical, or a really stupid mistake waiting to happen?

Re: VANLIFE

Every person i know that did it got robbed several times.

I've heard that, it seems interesting, and a cheaper way to live, but I kind of feel like it's gentrifying being homeless. Yeah, some people do it by choice, and obviously some people do live out of vans and cars because they fell on hard times, not just to be part of some counter-culture.

The trick is to live in a van that doesn’t look like anyone lives in it, Like a box van with corporate branding. Also staying out of remote places and being smart about where you park. If I was living van life I would just drive up and down the west coast and probably find the best beach for the time of the year. Hell I might even head to Costa Rica.

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I would just drive up and down the west coast and probably find the best

beach for the time of the year.

That's sort of like my plan, but apparently in California a lot of places have been cracking down on it. In San Diego you can even get jail time if you're caught, but I haven't hear of it actually happening to anyone.

Overpriced Parts /

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> Every person i know that did it got robbed several times.

I don’t know, Jennifer Gardner the actress lived in one for a while on skid row and she didn’t get robbed,

BF56C2BC-781A-4F1F-A444-85FB8334D5EE.jpeg

some places it's pretty easy. bathroom and shower's kinda tricky. One of the most successful I had a friend who built a home into a 6x12 commercial trailer, complete with foldout bed, solar water heater for showers, composting toilet. but building all that it doesnt save a ton of money most places. He was a windmill installer, alot are pretty remote and it was an excuse to avoid having to commute 40+ mi to hotels, while also pocketing the hotel stipend. in less rural areas it is trickier, but even then renting campsites semi regularly is the easiest way to have showers and toilets, and then you're less comfortable and more expensive than just splitting a place with randos.

cool if you wanna travel solo for cheap, but not hitchhiking and camping cheap. whatever though I think this is totally your decision and my input is really just because i like to talk haha

Overpriced Parts /

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

>

>

> cool if you wanna travel solo for cheap, but not hitchhiking and camping

> cheap. whatever though I think this is totally your decision and my

> input is really just because i like to talk haha

Love the old hitchhiking days of the late 70s, my cousin and I would hitchhike a few times a month from the west suburbs of Cleveland to our girlfriends houses Past perry Ohio almost PA border that we met at cedar point amusement park,

We would stay out there for the weekend for about 4-5 months until we broke up with them

We both had old not really reliable for the highway low ratio axle performance cars (340 dart and 383 fury) that took expensive 1.20 + a gallon Sunoco 93.5 octane, just there and back would be 25+$ in gas A lot of money at that time

My cousin being a part time dishwasher for minimum-wage and me though making 40% more money per hr I only worked 25 hours a week at that time, I couldn’t foot the bill Plus have any money to spend on the girls and such plus live all week, my girlfriend had use of her parents car once we got there but we would have to pay to put gas in it,

We tried to ride dubs on my 175 Kawasaki which ended in aborted trip so we hitched hiked about a dozen times out that way there friday afternoon/eve and Sunday morn back with just a bag of change of clothes a towel, a blanket and a couple other things,

Only two times we got somebody that was crazy, but we still made it to our destinations there and back,

We Started on Clifton Blvd Cleveland border with thumbs up and sometimes we had a walk as far as Edgewater Park cleveland only a few mi away before someone stopped

We’d get picked up most times pretty quick, getting at least halfway to our destination on first ride,

We loved getting picked up with somebody with PA license plates because they literally would drop us off a half a mi away from the girls houses that both lived on the same street many times take us right to their houses,

I and another friend hitchhiked to Mohican wilderness and that was kinda a disaster, because all our camping gear got wet in the canoe tipping over and it was pouring rain and no one wanted to pick up people and gear all wet and took us 14hrs to get near enough home to get picked up,

♣Slew Foot♣ /

54f here I almost pulled a homeboy rus...

I got a bottle of single batch potstill Irish whiskey instead of pulling the first leg of the cannonball.

25 sober. Hell. life is short enjoy. It's NOT like I was a twelve stepper...

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> Love the old hitchhiking days of the late 70s, my cousin and I would

> hitchhike a few times a month from the west suburbs of Cleveland to our

> girlfriends houses Past perry Ohio almost PA border that we met at cedar

> point amusement park,

>

> We would stay out there for the weekend for about 4-5 months until we

> broke up with them

>

> We both had old not really reliable for the highway low ratio axle

> performance cars (340 dart and 383 fury) that took expensive 1.20 + a

> gallon Sunoco 93.5 octane, just there and back would be 25+$ in gas A

> lot of money at that time

>

> My cousin being a part time dishwasher for minimum-wage and me though

> making 40% more money per hr I only worked 25 hours a week at that time,

> I couldn’t foot the bill Plus have any money to spend on the girls and

> such plus live all week, my girlfriend had use of her parents car once

> we got there but we would have to pay to put gas in it,

>

> We tried to ride dubs on my 175 Kawasaki which ended in aborted trip so

> o we hitched hiked about a dozen times out that way there friday

> afternoon/eve and Sunday morn back with just a bag of change of clothes

> a towel, a blanket and a couple other things,

>

> Only two times we got somebody that was crazy, but we still made it to

> our destinations there and back,

>

> We Started on Clifton Blvd Cleveland border with thumbs up and sometimes

> we had a walk as far as Edgewater Park cleveland only a few mi away

> before someone stopped

>

> We’d get picked up most times pretty quick, getting at least halfway to

> our destination on first ride,

>

> We loved getting picked up with somebody with PA license plates because

> they literally would drop us off a half a mi away from the girls houses

> that both lived on the same street many times take us right to their

> houses,

>

> I and another friend hitchhiked to Mohican wilderness and that was kinda

> a disaster, because all our camping gear got wet in the canoe tipping

> over and it was pouring rain and no one wanted to pick up people and

> gear all wet and took us 14hrs to get near enough home to get picked up,

Title says VANLIFE. Not hitchhiking in the 70s.

Pushrod Fifty /

I travelled cross country in a van in 1995 and it was sweet. Out west there are so many places you can park it hang out for a week if you want. Spent 2 months in Sedona, AZ, a month along Big Sir, SF from San Diego. Had the van set up real well and had a mountain bike racked onto it too. Used to park in hotel parking lots when doing distance, taking sink baths in restaraunts. Had a solar shower, water jugs, camp stove, porta, futon, the works all in a 80s minivan with a custom roof mounted cargo carrier I made.

Later got freebee Dodge van that I spent weekends camping in all around. That was a sweet van, more room, and felt like a vw bus as you sat right over the front wheel. I did almost get robbed in that. I parked it in a decent city, but had ran in the back of the van for something, had the curtain pulled, someone lock checked it and swooped right into the drivers side. Had my wallet out right there too on the engine lid. I yelled and the dude ran. I bolted out so fast. Only issue in thousands of miles of van camping.

I think now its more difficult with cameras everywhere, honeless people that cops are looking out for, but Im sure I could dig it if again.

Overpriced Parts /

> Peter Fondue Wrote:

> Title says VANLIFE. Not hitchhiking in the 70s.

I got 2 vans now though smaller than the vans back then,

> John Maxson Wrote:

> I travelled cross country in a van in 1995 and it was sweet. Out west

> there are so many places you can park it hang out for a week if you

> want. Spent 2 months in Sedona, AZ, a month along Big Sir, SF from San

> Diego. Had the van set up real well and had a mountain bike racked onto

> it too. Used to park in hotel parking lots when doing distance, taking

> sink baths in restaraunts. Had a solar shower, water jugs, camp stove,

> porta, futon, the works all in a 80s minivan with a custom roof mounted

> cargo carrier I made.

>

> Later got freebee Dodge van that I spent weekends camping in all

> around. That was a sweet van, more room, and felt like a vw bus as you

> sat right over the front wheel. I did almost get robbed in that. I

> parked it in a decent city, but had ran in the back of the van for

> something, had the curtain pulled, someone lock checked it and swooped

> right into the drivers side. Had my wallet out right there too on the

> engine lid. I yelled and the dude ran. I bolted out so fast. Only issue

> in thousands of miles of van camping.

>

> I think now its more difficult with cameras everywhere, honeless people

> that cops are looking out for, but Im sure I could dig it if again.

They're really trying hard to push new laws over there with the people living in rv's and vans. It's the fact the these people build like little shanty communities on the streets, are just generally filthy (like dumping buckets of shit out on the street), and even contributing to crime. I get it, see pics of vans and rv's sitting there that have just been parked does look like shit. From what I've personally seen these people who are into this vanlife thing(the ones that do it full time, as they say) do seem to be decent people with some damn impressive setups. Apparently the cops watch the beaches and major parts of cities over there like hawks.

So Brandon?

Have you decided if you will live in a van?

Down by the river?

Yup, down by the river. Such a classic SNL skit, David Spade trying to keep his shit together the whole time still kills me. One thing I found out about it, Chris didn't even tell the others he was going into the table, their reactions were genuine.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Move to slabcity and drop off.

Pushrod Fifty /

I know this off topic but its the off topic page. Living in a sailboat is alot cheaper than a van and totally legal but it seasonal. You can buy a solid 24-30 ft sailboat for under 2k. plus cost of mooring unless you keep it at a public anchorage. I lived on one for a summer and was awesome. Nobody around you.

> John Maxson Wrote:

> I know this off topic but its the off topic page. Living in a sailboat

> is alot cheaper than a van and totally legal but it seasonal. You can

> buy a solid 24-30 ft sailboat for under 2k. plus cost of mooring unless

> you keep it at a public anchorage. I lived on one for a summer and was

> awesome. Nobody around you.

Depends on where you are. Georgia makes it hard to live aboard.

I think of the Chris Farley sketch every time..

I have always dreamed of doing the van-life thing! I had a '70 VW Westphalia in my teens that my friends and I would camp in in the summer and was fascinated with the live aboard idea ever since. At my current age I don't think I would enjoy the adventure of it as much, but I can totally see having a van you could live in as sort of insurance against being homeless. I'm doing pretty well, but one never knows, many are but a few paychecks from the street, an injury or illness could really f up your ability to pay rent/mortgage. As mentioned above, the idea is to not have anyone know you are in there, so you want a white windowless van if at all possible, or one of the older full size conversion vans, but they are harder to hide yourself in. I would go with either a Ford Econoline, (the heavier suspension model if you can) 250, or 350 or a Chevy Astro or GMC equivalent. Insulate it, put one of those fantastic fans in the roof. The scenario I envision would be out of a home but not out of a job, so would open a membership at a 24 hr gym, so you can shower use restroom, hygiene is key to either getting a job or keeping it, and not being viewed as homeless and messed with by the cops. You have to seal off the cab so no light shows if you are in there at night, black-out curtain material cut to fit will do the job. I used to envision building shelves and a support for a bed etc, but now I think a more minimalist approach makes sense, make everything removable, use one of those big decent queen size air beds, a small microwave, not sure if they make a 12v one? Propane camp-stove if you think you would use it, and a Coleman buddy heater, propane as well, it is said you can use these inside, but I would crack a window to be safe. For power I would upgrade the alternator in the truck and get a HUGE car battery, but would also get one of those "battery generators" you see on Amazon, they have a 110 port as well as 12v, and often have a solar panel as a charging option, would keep panel inside unless in use for stealth and to protect it from the elements. Prob would not have a fridge, but excellent 12v models are avail, very expensive though, the new coolers while spendy are very efficient and use no power. A small portable TV and a lap-top or Tablet, wi-fi is everywhere, or hot-spot from your phone. A few Cobb led lights are more than enough and use very little juice. You would need the van to be in excellent mechanical shape and to look good, if it breaks down your home gets towed! In the same vein keep your licence in good standing and your insurance, if you get busted for any failings of this your home gets impounded. If you do drugs stop, for the same reason. Don't even drink, in some states if you are found sleeping/drinking in your car and have the keys on you you will be charged with DWI. Bullshit, but true. If you lived in there for say 6 months doing any type of full time work, even day labor, you could save enough cash to get yourself an apartment, the vehicle would also be suitable for a daily driver and for odd job hauling for cash, it is amazing how much a guy with a van can make around the 1st of the month near apartment complexes. Park in industrial ares where there are lots of similar vans around, or in 24 hr grocery stores, hotel parking lots, not way in the back, but right up front, so you don't look like you are hiding, only sleep in there, just hanging out in a van attracts all the wrong kind of attention! ;) Never park in the same spot 2 nights in a row, people have no attention span and blank white vans are everywhere, no one gives them a second thought, move from town to town too if plausible, the cops will pay attention to a vehicle in the same place all the time. A van is one of the most practical vehicles a person can own, especially moped types...and setting one up as I outlined can be a real life-saver should the unthinkable happen to you. For full time live aboard, I would get a class B motor-home, the kind with the 1 ton van chassis and the bed over the cab, try and find a fiberglass shelled one. People have mentioned getting robbed, I have to admit this never crossed my mind, it must be a real thing for so many to bring it up, I have never felt the need to own a gun, but in this situation it would prob become a necessity, make sure you have a cc permit. I guess it's like anything else, if you do it, think it through while you have a solid base, don't make it up as you go once you are broke unless it is a total last resort.

Yeah, a girl in the vanlife group on facebook just posted about how she just got robbed, they took everything she had. Fuck.

All the actually happy "vanlife" people you see on IG or FB are usually people that have jobs they can do on the road like website designers or journalists, so they still have their regular income.

If you don't have a steady income living in a van will still get you broke pretty quickly.

^^ I don't "do" facebook, where was she parked and how did they get in? I have to believe a bad area, the thing about a van, you can park in a nice area, there is an old saying, "don't go stupid places, with stupid people and do stupid shit, and you will never have to run for your life". Advice I should have taken in my younger years, lol, at some point adrenaline rushes are no longer fun, and you just want to live peacefully. I was lucky enough to make it to a safe place in life.(edited)

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> All the actually happy "vanlife" people you see on IG or FB are usually

> people that have jobs they can do on the road like website designers or

> journalists, so they still have their regular income.

>

> If you don't have a steady income living in a van will still get you

> broke pretty quickly.

I know, I'm not ignorant to that fact at all. I got the truth told to me about shit like this when I was in my early teens and got inspired to backpack through some random ass sandbox by some hippie on the forums for one of my fav bands. Well, turns out this "hippie" had parents that made like $100, 000 a year to carry his ass if things went wrong. Same thing here, and most have money, and a plan-b if things go wrong.

Pushrod Fifty /

I had an Econoline as my first travelling van, it was extra long size with double side doors. Had 3 6 with 3 speed, someone took out the column shifty and put a hearst style in, I like column shits better. I did a lot of travelling on it, then Sold it and brought a huge dome tent which I still use.

Been living in a class c motorhome with my dog for 6 years now, I've built bikes, and even the th400 transmission on the kitchen table. It's fun, definitely not for everyone. I know others have tried to live in campers but don't last too long, lots to break and fix. The rig is a 1985 Itasca Sundancer- healthy carbureted Chevy 350 and 4.10 gears. I purchased it in Colorado. I've worked on it constantly and have it dialed right in. I guess it's not really van Life ,but "rv life" rather. I worked at camping world for a bit and I was able to get my hands on lots of cool parts that would usually end up in the dumpsters. Including my 4000watt Onan generator.

I'm not sure how you could live in a cargo van I guess it's possible but it would be a huge pain in the ass. The RV grants you full plumbing and ceiling height. VANLIFE is more about taking a picture of your girlfriend playing a little guitar in a perfectly decorated VW van, complete with cute Christmas lights while parked with an awe inspiring view of Moab in the background.

I'm just like dumping shit tanks and rebuilding distributors/carburetors hahaha.

IMG_20190729_195020.jpg
IMG_20190518_183834.jpg
IMG_20170811_092100.jpg

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> All the actually happy "vanlife" people you see on IG or FB are usually

> people that have jobs they can do on the road like website designers or

> journalists, so they still have their regular income.

>

> If you don't have a steady income living in a van will still get you

> broke pretty quickly.

well, that or it's a vacation van, like cheap way to travel around.

the boat idea is pretty fair, I know some folks, actually wiffleball lives on a boat southeast of houston. seems legit, cheap rent.

There are a lotta folks who do it around stanford, but mostly grad students trying to save money, where you have acces to campus restrooms and gym showers etc. There are places around there however where it's not just allowed but protected, Palo Alto had trialed (maybe still run?) a program where they had secure parking lots for RV & van residents with a security guard. Removes the "unsightliness" concerns of prissy affluent residents, and it's cheaper cleaner safer easier and more humane than kicking people off the streets and worrying about them dumping waste in the gutters etc. although to work it's pretty limited (an coincides with large vehicle bans for overnight street parking I think)

it's sortof the deal with street skateboarders by building them a skatepark approach. cool until you consider the crackdown on enjoying riding anywhere outside the prescribed park

Pushrod Fifty /

Sweet rv setup. Those van body ones are cool, roomy, simple and easy to fix yourself for the most part. You can pump it out and refill the water at a campground and not too hard to park in a town.

The hardest thing about the boat living is getting fresh water but the pumpouts are easy to get and you can schedule them online. Only a tip is the cost, $5.00.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account