Tool borrowing etiquette?

Angry Hipster /

What's the proper length of time to return a tool?

I have a situation here where I loaned a moped tool to a person and it took them over a month to return it. Although to their credit they did return the tool unprompted - and without damage -, but the length of time seemed to bother me.

The same person just asked to borrow the same tool again. . .

Would it be reasonable to not be willing or am I just being crotchety?

On the same token, I personally would hold myself to the same standards and would try to return anything I borrowed ASAP, and would be uncomfortable to borrow in the first place and would likely never ask a second time.

IDK, I just could use some opinions on the matter. Thanks

Re: Tool borrowing etiquette?

A month is pretty quick, but if it bothers you i suggest telling the person in question instead of complaining here.

Angry Hipster /

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> A month is pretty quick, but if it bothers you i suggest telling the

> person in question instead of complaining here.

Not complaining.... Just asking for opinions here. I am trying to be a good helpful person, but not a doormat.

Dirty30 Dillon /

If they are borrowing it again, then it's time for them to buy their own.

lol, just ask for the fuckin tool back

use your brain and mouth to form words and have a basic conversation with another human

why is that hard?

Just let him borrow it duder!! Doesn't hurt unless you need it....feels good too :)

Angry Hipster /

> Potr zebie Wrote:

> lol, just ask for the fuckin tool back

>

> use your brain

3rd sentence states tool has been returned...

Also, I was taught to never chase/remind a borrower. Someone who is kind enough to loan something shouldn't be additionally tasked with remembering and reminding someone.. They've already done more than most would.(edited)

if you want it back, you gotta ask. after an ask, a week is probably max acceptable.

But I have tools from friends that i've had for several months. we all know it's in my garage and if you need it lemme know and it's back ASAP.

But honestly, the "keep it as long as you want", "i'll get it back to you whenever you need it" was established at the time of borrowing. if you want it back as soon as it's done being used, just express that. if you're OK with a give it back whenever, I think that's the default implication.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

My personal rule is that I don’t lend my tools out. This way I’m never in that position of having to beg to get my stuff back.

I usually dont lend anything I'm willing to part with forever. I usually dont lend my tools because that's how I make my living. If you borrow a tool more than once it's time to buy your own.

Overpriced Parts /

Took me about 2 years to get about half of my puch factory tools and other parts/stuff back because my friend had a ugly break up, got up and and moved back to his parents house/farm about two hr drive away, Took me a few blind trips out that way for me to get my stuff back,

Years ago a few people and I did part time repair on small engines, motorbikes, boats, cars, tractors, almost anything with a engine and it was ugly when it was disbanded, I lost a lot of stuff then too.

I will not let any specialized tools ever be let out ever again

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I usually belittle them...

What? You don't have a toolkit? Wha cha got a multitool hammer thing in the junk drawer in the kitchen like a housewife?

I will let peeps use them but only here.nothing leaves my sight.

Angry Hipster /

Thanks everyone, it looks like the old timers seem to be against it. I kind of am too, I want to be helpful but this just seems like nonsense to me.

It's kind of an odd coincidence that after I posted this I found a good deal on 2 used bicycles for my wife and I to ride for exercise. I went to get them and all went well except I noticed that one of the bicycles needs a pedal replaced.

So I order a pedal and a stupid pedal wrench that seemed to be overpriced. As I was looking for the wrench my wife ordered chinese food for dinner. And I thought I could be using the money I'm spending on tools on something fun/frivolous like fast food or a movie etc., but no I make the sacrifice to have what I need.

So the same goes for all, we all could have bought more frivolous things instead of tools and then some fucker comes along and thinks instead of doing the same for themselves they'll just mooch from someone they know.

It's a fucked up mindset. . If I needed something I'd wait and buy it myself, if I couldn't afford to or needed it quickly I would at least pay someone for the use of their tool if it came to that.

And in this case you can see the reward for helping out such a person..... Another favor asked..

I've heard the expression play stupid games, win stupid prizes. . I think it is applicable here. The stupid game is tool loaning, the stupid prize is more requests for tool loaning.

Now there is the matter of diplomacy ... I have to see this fellow on a somewhat scheduled basis. If the person was a rando or neighbor I would promptly tell them to fuck off.

I'll probably end up lying and saying I no longer have the tool just to not piss off said person. . That alone is kind of fucked, but you legit can upset people by telling them no. Which only further shows their sense of entitlement.....

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Feeding stray dogs...

Angry Hipster /

Makes sense Slew, that's pretty much exactly what it is.

I used to help run a bicycle repair co-op in atlanta. We had a policy that any time we needed a tool, no matter the cost, we'd buy it. We bought a spoke threader for a few hundred to repair a $75 bike. We bought bottom bracket threaders and headset taps for hundreds of dollars to save bikes worth less than a 20. But in the end there were zero regrets, if you're gonna do something seriously and for a while, having the right tools and good tools inevitably will be worthwhile. so yea, encourage people to get good tools.

we never lent anything out to random people, but any volunteers that worked there could borrow whatever, whenever, as long as it was back for shop hours on friday.

in short, lend to folks you trust, and establish the ground rules, and usually without issue you can ensure that it works out.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Or Chuck it at them after beaming them in the head with a stud remover or three jaw. It well worth 10 bucks at harbor freight...

Patches ohulahan... If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball....

I used to have this trigger operated grease gun....VERY powerful. Only type hand squeezed gun I've ever seen that would force grease thru any fitting.

A buddy of mine asked to borrow it to force grease thru a 1965 F-100 axle with king pins . They were notorious for being hard to get grease into. He kept it for at least 3 months and I figured it was gone, but I finally got it back. What a bum!

Pushrod Fifty /

I wouldn't lend a tool that have had for 40 years and know I could never match the quality with a new one. I wouldnt want to have to ask for something back. A 10mm open end, sure, I have a bunch of them but not my impact screwdriver that I use everyday.

I never lend a tool "out."

If you need it, you can come over and use it. But you can't take it home.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

My wrench set is ww2 submarine spammers they never get lent. I do have a bin of ground score tools for the rabble. All my non moped friends seem to be missing the 10mm sockets...

Perhaps this person and you just have a different view as to what time frame is acceptable.

May I suggest simply talking to the borrower, and getting on the same page? Sounds like he/she respects both you and the the tool. He/she would most likely respect the time frame that you were to establish, too.

It's not his/her fault if he/she doesn't know your boundaries--it's your responsibility to let him/her know your boundaries.

That's my opinion. Good luck.(edited)

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> I used to have this trigger operated grease gun....VERY powerful. Only

> type hand squeezed gun I've ever seen that would force grease thru any

> fitting.

>

> A buddy of mine asked to borrow it to force grease thru a 1965 F-100

> 0 axle with king pins . They were notorious for being hard to get grease

> into. He kept it for at least 3 months and I figured it was gone, but I

> finally got it back. What a bum!

So your story minus all the unnecessary embellishments, is you lent your buddy a tool and you got it back.

Why did you waste everyone’s time with this?(edited)

Why are YOU wasting space? We tell our TRUE stories here. SOME people that aren't dedicated to trolling certain other people like to read true experiences.

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> Why are YOU wasting space? We tell our TRUE stories here. SOME people

> that aren't dedicated to trolling certain other people like to read true

> experiences.(edited)

honestly i thought don's story, in this case, was totally on point and contributing to the discussion. thanks don.

also I agree with AZ's on this one, " let him/her know your boundaries." is it. it sounds like for a lot of yall, that boundary is the end of your garage, and that's cool too.

I don't like borrowing tools. I used a bearing splitter at the local parts store twice since I got into mopeds. Seems like they were doing me a big favor. Forget that I go there every time I need anything for cars or mopeds. So I ordered a set online. Arriving Thursday.

> Les B. Wrote:

> I don't like borrowing tools. I used a bearing splitter at the local

> parts store twice since I got into mopeds. Seems like they were doing me

> a big favor. Forget that I go there every time I need anything for cars

> or mopeds. So I ordered a set online. Arriving Thursday.

My next tool purchase as well. Which one you buy?

Auto Zone ,Advance Auto, and others have a great loaner system. About a third of the time I buy the tool I checked out, NEW,of course.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

that's good in theory Don but when you go to do it you realise that Autos all Auto Zones don't have all set of those tools some of them they don't have and I'll just tell you about somebody else has it and didn't bring it back I found out when I wanted an AC clutch tool and a sleeve bearing puller they had it in the catalog that they loan it but the store itself didn't even have one

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account