SCAMS

So I have a battery/ radio charger I found cleaning the basement. Brand new in box. I put it on CL this morning for sale. Less than hour I get a text from someone who wants to buy it. I text, that I'd meet them at the P.D. website sales area in their parking lot. Then he texts he's sent me a 6 digit code and I should text it back to be sure I'm " real " told him fuck no! Real enough?! Texts, " plz code back" WTF! Anyone familiar with this? Scrolled back number (917) 979-5863 a New York area code.

Re: SCAMS

Pushrod Fifty /

Sounds like a scammer. I just ignore that stuff.

What was the six digit code?

Overpriced Parts /

Never sold anything on gaglist or fleesebay,

Moped army buy+sell and word of mouth is how I would sell stuff but I stop selling stuff here on Moped army because many people would buy my bikes and parts and then put for resale on eBay or Craigslist for more money,

I mean they were even blatant in the ads using my name stating I rebuilt the bike or engine,

Ya les stuff like that charger I would give to people when they had a garage sale to sell for me since I don’t have garage sales anymore,

I've sold on CL before, no hassles. The police station has the buy / sell , camera on duty, area for sales. Never opened the message.(edited)

the person might be trying to make a fake text messaging account such as text now using your number which would be untraceable to the scammer. but sometime these comfirmation codes confirm bank accounts and stuff so I have no idea.

That's what I figured, up to no fucking good!

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Me me I wanna run a scam...

Send me 10 bucks I will tell you about it...

Wait, what, the cops have a sales area on thier parking lot? That amazes me....both that they would and that it would be necessary! Decent of them but a sad comment on society. :/

I got robbed at gunpoint for a clarinet I was selling on cl. Lol, it was a ok student instrument I had used it n HS, i was only asking $35.

Dude pulled a gun(it's was a BB gun but I diddnt know that at the time), apologized and said he was broke and his daughter wanted one for her birthday.

He diddnt know that the sale was happening at my work and I had one of my front of house people watching from inside and he was arrested like 5 minutes later driving home.

I fucking felt horrible for that little girl. I would have given him the damn thing if he told me that in the email.

Holy shit....., that is very sad.

I've bought and sold tons of craiglsit shit. 90% of the replies when you list stuff are fake. usually it's pretty obvious but I guess that's maybe from having done it a while. anyone who wants someone to come look at it for them, anyone who wants to put down a deposit or any mention at all of money orders, just delete.

Probably the quickest filter, anything that doesn't refer to the item in question or uses vague generic terms, it's copypastascammage.

Hello im interested in your "exact title of ad"

i would like to buy your item. i will send a money order to reserve payment and my assosciate bill will pick up the item.

thankyou. sincerely,

scammer

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I've bought and sold tons of craiglsit shit. 90% of the replies when you

> list stuff are fake. usually it's pretty obvious but I guess that's

> maybe from having done it a while. anyone who wants someone to come look

> at it for them, anyone who wants to put down a deposit or any mention at

> all of money orders, just delete.

>

> Probably the quickest filter, anything that doesn't refer to the item in

> question or uses vague generic terms, it's copypastascammage.

>

> Hello im interested in your "exact title of ad"

>

> i would like to buy your item. i will send a money order to reserve

> payment and my assosciate bill will pick up the item.

>

> thankyou. sincerely,

>

> scammer

Yep, exactly. I think its been getting worse and I dont use CL that often. Also the higher the item price the more scammers respond.

So odd, I have had a few scam replies to things I have sold on cl, have bought many things from cl, never an issue, never felt afraid to have anyone show up to buy or sell me something. Always an easy cash hand off? Maybe I live in May-berry? Lol?

Josiah Radebaugh /

Starting yesterday at 6:50 AM I received a total of 47 calls up until about 11:20 today about a house mortgage quote.

They stopped calling after having to deal with me. And man... They are persistent, they had all of 5 different numbers to call from.

I used to work at a bar, and whenever a scammer would offer to send me a certified check overnight I'd give them a fake name and the address of the bar.

The scam is, they send you a check totaled an extra thousand or more, then tell you to deposit it and keep half, and send them the rest. Stupidest thing is the banks would clear the check immediately, let you take out cash, then a few days later say it's no good, and the poor sucker dumb enough to fall for that would have to pay the bank back or have their account deducted.

So I'd have all these fake checks for thousands of dollars stuck on my fridge.

Besides the enjoyment of messing with the scammer, it costs them money to have the check overnighted, and their wasted time.

Dont be wasting your time texting me anything - voice only or forget it

PhoneBedReb.jpg

I like text, but i'm familiar with it. i can answer it at my convenience, and it's real quick to spot scams.

phone call scammers i always feel guilty hanging up on them, like so much of my life i've been taught to be kinda and polite that even when someone is wasting my time, i still feel a little pity for not even giving them the courtesy of telling them no and hanging up politely.

It's so fucking bad, I don't even answer my cell. If there's no name, nope. Then when I just block the number. It sucks. I used to be a laid back guy.

And if that all ain't enough, you now have to pay for ads.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

So I will be telling you now. You may have won...

We will soon now be opening you one million winner congratulations just send transfer info to sketchy co. Insert here bank of melons.

Once again many joyous times await contact soon happy ending...

Overpriced Parts /

> Rebel Moby Wrote:

> Dont be wasting your time texting me anything - voice only or forget it

> >

Holy crap! I have the same thing! I have a copper wire landline that takes care of Internet computer 5-10 bit/gig? and everything, no voicemail no nothing, I live by a lake, most cell service does not work so we basically I have a 10 year old phone only to use when away from home,

Most stuff that I or my son (same account) post is because We are in a public Wi-Fi waiting for doctors attorneys or restaurants or friends wi fi

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

We’ve been trying to reach you. This is a final courtesy call concerning your cars warranty.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

This is your power supplier we have been ripping you off....

You have been selected 4 a free 4 day cruise...

This is your local fop..

Fire fighters fund....

Disabled vets

Kids with cancer

African wildlife fund...

My landline I tried unsuccessfully I might add to accept only local calls. 15 out of 20 of the calls are unsolicited cold calls or scams.

We should start a moped scam fund...

1048 members at 10 bux a head. That's seed money but what's the gaff...

> Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

> We’ve been trying to reach you. This is a final courtesy call concerning

> your cars warranty.

I love that one....anyone ever answer or call them back?

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> > Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > We’ve been trying to reach you. This is a final courtesy call

> concerning

>

> > your cars warranty.

>

> I love that one....anyone ever answer or call them back?

I did, and told them the motor was blown in my vehicle. Asked them how much to cover it for repair and they hung up on me.

Rick Bergsma /

" We are calling you to let you know that your social security number has been cancelled ".

That's strange , in Canada it's called a social insurance number , ya think a government official would know that .

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Yep the it's social security or the irs...

I did try to extend my warranty for my 86 Tomos....no dice I thought I had them.

Funny the social security office has foreign call centers the rep barely could be understood. I said omg...

Let me get my wallet "what's. My number?"

You say it's being used you have the file? Let me speak to your supervisor you useless piece of shit...

On the other hand, my daughter asked if I'd post her ferret cage on CL. Well with some trepidation, I went ahead. First text was a scammer. Didn't even get mad ,fuck them. Second text was a girl and her dad. Made the deal, met them in her apt. foyer. They have four rescue ferrets people get or buy as presents, then dump them. Glad to have helped them.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account