Re: Off topic car rant! WHY is a manual transmission car so hard to find?!?

โ™ฃSlew Footโ™ฃ /

My weird thing is after 2 or 3 minutes driving manual my recessive lazy eye becomes dominate and my vision gets screwy.

Hi Will! Hope you and your family are doing well

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> SHELLY!

๐ฟ๐‘–๐‘˜๐‘Ž-๐ฟ๐‘œ๐‘ก๐‘Ž๐‘ ๐‘Ž๐‘ข๐‘Ÿ ๐‘€๐‘’๐‘”๐‘Ž๐‘๐‘ข๐‘  ๐Ÿฆ– /

I like roasting tires, my 77 firebird has an automatic that does it easy, sitting on bald tires now. I took the kids cars out the other day. A cobra mustang, GT, and another GT. Donut testing them at the grocery store parking lot a few blocks over. They all shift pretty good but not as good control as my old 1980 nissan 280ZX. That thing scared the fuq out a few times and super mileage.

Pushrod Fifty /

I was looking at an MR2 this dude had, so awesome, straight 4 in the back seat basically. The car is mint, 97ish, he got it from someone who had it as their beach cruzer, so minty and he got it so cheap.

They are super cool, if you don't have winter! :)

lol, just realized the only auto trans in the stable is the one on my moped.

the other three are an '03 subaru wrx and two '08 saab 9-3 aeros.

the wife and i both love driving them, BUT if we had shit commutes with stop and go i think things would be different.

I would rather my daily driver to be automatic. I drive manual cars well though. I would like to have a drift car in manual though.

^ I would if my daily is a large car or truck, but little tiny cars, which I also love sould all be manual! :) I did own a Ford f-250 2wd with a straight 6 and a 4 speed manual, what a beast that thing, would prob still have it were it not for the fact we dump salt all over our roads. Vanagons with a stick are about the biggest vehicle I like to shift myself.

I'll be picking up a pretty mint Geo metro later this week. Haven't driven a manual in quite a while. This'll be fun.lol

^ Nice, a motorcycle with a roof! :)

My dad ran a secure courier business around Seattle in the late 90s threw 2005. Carried original Picasso's and brought baseballs directly to the Mariners stadium and other crazy shit.. But it was mostly mortgage and escrow paperwork, one trip up and down the I5 quarter a day made him like $120-$400 on average. $19 for same day delivery so he just left Bremerton drove to Tacoma and up to Seattle picking shit up and dropping it off.. Too bad he was bad with money.lol

Anyway, he put 2in oversize tires on his Geo and had that sucker up to 59mpg. Spent like $11 a day in gas, I'm just starting to realize how much of a fucking genius my dad was. Might end up doing the same to mine.lol if the internet hadn't taken over the transfer of paperwork I'd probably be running his old business now.

My friend velvet drove a metro, loved that thing, long trips, insane mileage, beat the pants off a prius, it got like over 50mpg

I had 3 of the things, anywhere from 40-45mpg, only thing that sucked on all 3 were the heaters? Could barely keep the windshield clear in the winter.

Overpriced Parts /

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> I had 3 of the things, anywhere from 40-45mpg, only thing that sucked on

> all 3 were the heaters? Could barely keep the windshield clear in the

> winter.

I had a 93 Chevy conversion van back in the day fully loaded with 350 Ci Throttlebody with front and rear heater for a work truck,

It would heat up the whole van and tools in just 20 minutes but at 13.8 MPG, (when gas was nearing the $3.50 a gallon Mark) @ just a bit above the speed limit didnโ€™t match my friendโ€™s/coworker Geo mph

So after we got to the job site put all our tools from my van in the lock up 2nd day for a 3 1/2 week job with my van during one colder than average winter we commuted/he would pick me up in that tiny little geo deathtrap!

The heat in his car would absolutely sucked below mid 20s F, I would have to wear my full Carhartt set up when in his in his car when I was only 12-15 f above zero,

We had a 52 mile commute but at sometimes with only 10ยฐ F In the morning the car was cold even though it was running 30min before he picked me up so I had a one gal jug of hot water ready when he picked me up at 5:45 am to throw 1/2 of it on the windshield and the rest when we stopped for coffee and donuts a few exits down the freeway because you could only see a little bubble of clear windshield on each side,

It was kind of hairy but we got through it and it did save a lot of money on gas money basically he almost picked me up for free cause he had to go past my development to begin with.

***Kim Jong illest*** /

i havent read any of this thread but i am going to answer your question for you.

because automatic transmissions have become more efficient, more reliable, and more powerful than manuals.

manual transmissions while "fun", are a relic. modern semi tractors dont even use them anymore and by a WIDE margin, the trucking industry has embraced it as the superior option.

i know this isnt the answer you want, but its the answer. i know this is a forum for loving old things, and man do i understand that, but, the facts are the facts.

Pushrod Fifty /

I always thought Geo Metros were cool. Especially the Suzuki branded ones with the chrome S logo on the hood, in that burnt orange color. I was sure at one point I would buy one as a replacement for a Chevette that I picked up at a gas station ehile hitchiking my way back from the Appalation trail in New Hampshire. The $600 Chevette got me home but it didnt prove itself as a dependable driver and the shifting and brakes sucked on it. I replaced it instead for a Civic hatchback, new 1997, in eggplant purple. That car rode and sounded like a Porche when I got on it. My alltime standard car was my 61 Chevrolet Biscayne with 235 6cyl. and 3 on the tree.

Bah, whatever I still prefer manuals. Direct engagement just seems more efficient than a fluid coupling.

But yeah, the tech has vastly improved

The new corvette midengine C8 has no manual option.

And it becomes pretty clear why - it's a pretty huge redesign of the car including where teh engine sits, making a whole new transmission necessary - why design 2 whole new transmissions if less than 1/10th of buyers are even interested in the 2nd. bummer though, it'd be a wild ride for sure

I'm sure you can shift the new auto manualy, but not as fun without the clutch! :)

yea exactly. have you ever used that tiptronic though? It's not fun like at all. I once thought it'd be cool to shift like a video game but it's also got like overarching safety etc so you cant just ping it out and drop the clutch or anything, you're only sortof in control... its an elaborate farce to make tou think youre shifting manually

Yeah drove one, underwhelmed, and from what I understand even more expensive to repair than reg auto trans, I was not whining about super-cars though, just old daily's, used to be about 40% econo boxes were manual, hell the first gen dodge mini-vans had a manual option, super weird ride right there, but that is all over these days. People today are more concerned if the car has wi-fi than if it's any fun to drive. :)

but also cheap old cars were cheaper to design manual, nowadays you drop-in tha auto and it costs extra to figure out how to design a manual to fit. extra tooling etc, if you have to have an auto, it just makes it cheaper now to omit the manual entirely. bummers

there are still some though, they get a niche market. problem is alota us lookin at budget vehicles and deals and like manuals just get the used ones

True, everything is getting more compact these days, it is not economically feasible to build something no one knows how to use/wants.

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> I always thought Geo Metros were cool. Especially the Suzuki branded

> ones with the chrome S logo on the hood, in that burnt orange color. I

> was sure at one point I would buy one as a replacement for a Chevette

> that I picked up at a gas station ehile hitchiking my way back from the

> Appalation trail in New Hampshire. The $600 Chevette got me home but it

> didnt prove itself as a dependable driver and the shifting and brakes

> sucked on it. I replaced it instead for a Civic hatchback, new 1997, in

> eggplant purple. That car rode and sounded like a Porche when I got on

> it. My alltime standard car was my 61 Chevrolet Biscayne with 235 6cyl.

> and 3 on the tree.

Dad had a 1956 Chevrolet Bel-Air with a 265? V-8 and three on the tree. What a blast to drive! Geared low, and liked gasoline too much for a small V-8.

3 on the tree is a nightmare, makes no sense, on the floor or an automatic for me.

Overpriced Parts /

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> 3 on the tree is a nightmare, makes no sense, on the floor or an

> automatic for me.

3 on the tree is actually quite nice especially in a Full size van or truck that you need the middle of the two seats clear for material, if you have a bench seat like in a pick up truck (itโ€™s hard for a person to be in the middle of the bench seat when youโ€™re trying to shift)

Or car that doesnโ€™t have power steering because your hands could grab the steering wheel/hold steering wheel quicker and better,

Old cars, vans and trucks are very large inside so most shifters on the floor are very tall and and have long throw you have to Stretch your arm and sometimes move your body from seating position to shift them,

A three speed on the tree is actually quite easy to learn manual shift on compared to one of those long throw huge shifter vehicles

But Yeah a smaller car with a short throw shifter right by your hand and close to the steering wheel makes more sense

^ I had a Dodge short wheelbase van with three on the tree, I sold it in 2 weeks because I just could not drive it, always getting reverse when not meaning too etc etc...I just could not visualize the pattern, I'm sort of dumb like that...lol, I loved the long shifter in my VW vans and in a Ford pick-up I had, no more 3 on the tree for me! I don't think there are any around anymore anyway.

In japan their mid size work trucks are 5 on the tree. Has a normal 5 speed h pattern but itโ€™s mounted on the steering column.

^ I'd be in a world of shit with one of those! :D

My friend Jon Ko is working on importing this Toyota lite ace. It has a 4 spd h pattern on the column.

0F2388D4-569C-4BC8-8458-71610C30D2D5.jpeg
C7913471-D339-4BF8-9EF3-85D882D8AA19.jpeg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account