Off topic car rant! WHY is a manual transmission car so hard to find?!?

I have a friend who is partner in a used car dealership, and he says a stick in anything but a Porsche/Corvette/etc is the kiss of death for selling it, with few exceptions, those being Honda Civic's/Accords/ Toyota Corolla/Camry's, I would be cool with one of those, but they sell as soon as they land on the lot and cl is devoid of them, as people here know I rock a Toyota Tercel coupe, but it is a slushbox, ie; automatic, and it is "fine" but there is no substitute for the control a manual trans provides in the snow, my car was on cl as a manual or I never would have gone to look at it, I got it cheap, but I have had 2 of the same car with 4 spds that I enjoyed so much more, where have they all gone? Where are the Honda 6 speed Wagovan awd, the Toyota Tercel wagons with awd and 5speeds, even the 5 speed Corolla's or prisms? All we are all this lazy? No one knows how to shift? Give me a late '80's Subaru awd wagon with a 5 spd and a carb...sigh. I know I can get a 4wd tank like a Tahoe, and they ARE super nice at 5500 lbs but still automatic...snores. Toyota 4 runners used to offer a 5 speed, where did this go? Too much phone in face to drive, no skills to drive, what? Audi and VW made stick awd cars and I think still do, but are out of my reach to maintain, and just money pits. Mercedes does too, but not stick except maybe the g-wagon, but those are prob all automatic too. WTF?

Why? I know there are car people here too, thoughts? I know Subaru still offered a 5 spd around 10 yrs ago, no idea if they still do as I will never be able to afford a brand new car. Subaru used to be a beacon of reliability, but in the 2000's started in with head gasket failures in a bad way, except the 3.0 flat 6, but such niche cars. Opinions? Thoughts? The really funny thing about this rant? I HATE shifting a motorcycle, (why I'm into mopeds) but love shifting cars.

Re: Off topic car rant! WHY is a manual transmission car so hard to find?!?

I don’t know. I love shifting too. I was shifting motorcycles at 7 or 8, Dad’s Toyota pickup by 12. My first thru third cars were sticks. When I was 17 dad taught me to drive truck. Nothing like running thru the gears of a 13 or 18 speed under load. Shifting is power. Shifting is control. Problem is, new cars take all the control away from the driver. But then again most drivers today are incapable of controlling a vehicle, so the vehicle must take the control. It’s a different world than when I learned to drive, but that was a long time ago. Damn I miss driving so much.

I bought an 02 Camry 2 years ago because it was a standard trans. Downside was I knowingly had to put an engine in it. Which I did and it's my DD. Nobody borrows it cuz they can't drive a 5spd!

I was in the car business for over 30 years..answer is that most people never teach their kids to drive a stick,standard,manual or what ever you choose to call it because they never learned themselves..soooo when they buy a new car or truck they buy automatic ...

Stop seeking new crap... even stuff considered "vintage" (25 years) is junk...

Get like a 1963 Volvo 122 or a early 1970s Asian if you want to really do excellent in the snow driving, the ass end wheels pushing the car is way better in my opinion. If you like front drive though you will kill it with a early VW Rabbit or a wee little Honda cvcc Civic. The old shyte are bullet proof, standard crashbox trans and will go like stink in the snow. Mid 1970s Alfa Romeo Alfetta 4 door also haul ass in the snow, excellent 5 speed rear transaxle and light weight bathtub engine in the front gives the car very close to 50/50 weight ratio rear to front distribution so you can really fling it through corners.

All of the above considerations need good undercoating but are likely to be cheaper than a newer piece of shyte AND you will have a very unique ride that can handle the snow like a champ.

Speaking of hating to shift a motorcycle and 5-speed Subarus...

20200104_095922.jpg

Not trying to rub it in Stephen. This is my winter bomber. 1st gen Legacy all-wheel drive.

20200104_100026.jpg

Check out the mileage. I have a decently long dirt driveway with a pretty steep hill at the end. I have driven out of it in two feet of snow in this thing.

20200104_095950.jpg

80's are gone dude.. you asked why and then listed cars from 30 years ago..

I have no idea why manuals aren't as popular as they once were, but I get the feeling people now simply tend to not know how and or lack the desire to drive a stick. Conveniance is on the side of an automatic car. Look at what is happening , People own cars for fewer years now, switch on to something different. Stick cars may seem like to much of a hassle for short or city driving..they need clutch eventually. Its the same mentality with the driving experiance as well quickest to and from a to b.

Josiah Radebaugh /

people are lazy. Turn key, go.

> Norris Hall Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Speaking of hating to shift a motorcycle and 5-speed Subarus...

I have owned that bike! LOVED it. :)

> Norris Hall Wrote:

> Check out the mileage. I have a decently long dirt driveway with a

> pretty steep hill at the end. I have driven out of it in two feet of

> snow in this thing.

I believe it, I had one (older) and it was unstopable in the snow, back then they were not full time awd, and I very often forgot or didn't have to engage the rear wheels. They must not salt where you live? The ones like that are all see thru here, if not in the junkyard. :/

People drive autos because traffic. Commuting in a manual is kind of a drag. I like both, automatic is great for running errands and such, but the connection to the car isn’t there. Any car I’ve ever loved has been a manual, my current project is an 88 fox wagon gl with a 4-spd and it bums me out that I don’t get to shift as much.(edited)

Fox wagons are awesome! I don't think too many people today know what that "connection to the car" thing is, in watching people, it seems like many learned to "drive" on a play-station or something?

Angry Hipster /

Don't blame the young people entirely. I've talked to old school hot rodders - street racers who told me "shitfting sucks," - though they aren't driving in snow ever.

I'm in my 30s and can shift fine and had a toyota truck with a standard as my exclusive daily driver, when I swapped it out for a towncar with an automatic I was very happy. The shifting to me felt like a novelty - a toy, and the automatic v8 powered car seemed like a proper automobile.

Now to help you out, Have you checked Manheim/ Co-Part/ Iaa Insurance auctions? You could probably have one shipped to you if needed and still save money. Good luck with your search!

Automatics have a place to be sure, as mentioned above in-town commuting can get old in a stick, and I own a Crown Victoria, and it is a "proper car" but it really isolates one from the driving experience, and is not nearly so nice to drive in the winter as a tiny front or awd car with a manual trans. Will look into that auction site, if for nothing else fond memories. :)

Even though shifting is a complete waste of time in flat snowless Netherlands, most people drive stick here. (An automatic shift car will easily cost 1k or more extra)

Have heard that about Europe, never been. Here, unless it's a sports car, you can't get as much for a manual.

I had the old 2000 Ford Focus and it had a great transmission(5 speed) with NO problems except timing belt at 130K. Get one if you can find it.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Depending on the vehicle, operating the clutch can really bother my blown out L4 and L5, and if I’m dealing with in town traffic, texting is almost impossible.

I gave up on having to have a stick shift 20 years ago. I don’t miss spilling my beer up my ass crack when trying to shift one bit.

I’ll take a slushbox over a stick every day of the week. Snow don’t make no never mind to me.

Overpriced Parts /

Easy to find in my area, My sons and I have a few manual 5 speed cars including a Honda Civic and these,

Just a custom 3” exhaust really woke up this five speed wagon

Not really a Chevy guy by choice but The best bang for the buck in a smaller American made manual trans car is a 08 and up turbocharged chevy cobalt ss for just with a ”tune” and exhaust the tiny 4 banger can beat a stock manual scat pack hemi Challenger and many older fiberglass Corvettes that have big V8’s

Good shape manual shift Honda civics, Hondas in general can be very pricey but used cobalt SS’s and regular ones are pretty reasonably priced,

The older SS supercharged 05-07 manual trans cobalts the clutch can be a weak link if car is highly tuned (we are all Motörhead’s here so it’s very hard for us to leave anything with an engine stock ;) So the turbocharged ones are better then the supercharged ones for a performance tune and exhaust unless you wanna change the clutch but leave a supercharged one stock and it will last,

All SS’s (even normally aspirated SS’s) came with forged engine internals, forged control arms, heavy duty suspension, better axles, larger wheels and much more stuff standard then regular ones for not much more money

But many Regular (non ss cobalts) came with manual trannys too and can be found for way cheeper and can be a bit faster then most Honda Civics same year (but I don’t like that they came with stamped steel control arms and smaller four lug wheels)

And all regular and SS cobalts get good mpg if driven normally even auto tranny ones,

We have had 3 cobalt ss’s (since the 2006 one my oldest son bought new) and all are still on the road here in the rust belt

New car dealers by me most used manual shift cars sit there longer then automatics, not as many people want to buy them So sometimes there are better deals at a new car dealers than what private sellers sell them for on gaglist and fleesebay so check new dealers used car stock in the back of the lot,

"texting is almost impossible" lol!

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> "texting is almost impossible" lol!

i used to be a stick guy, but i love texting and driving, too, and that sucks with a stick. plus, drinking and smoking weed while driving is easier with an auto, as is finger-banging my girlfriend.

i'm all about multi-tasking.(edited)

I think you would get in more trouble for using your phone in the car in MN than having some weed, and at this age I prefer to do any finger-banging inside! :)

I retired my first Hondamatic after 37k and found this one to replace it with 1200 miles on it. They do salt the roads plenty out here. The car has 65k on it and I fluid film the crap out of it every year which is why it is still in existence.

Fluid Film? Do tell... Those Hondamatic's really hold value, I see them today for the same as I paid for, and sold mine for, 20 some yrs ago, they are awesome in town bikes, too buzzy for any lengthy highway drives.

I read a story a few months ago about a 70 year old woman getting car jacked. She willingly gave up the keys to the young punks and walked away from the car. After a few minutes, the idiots ran away from the car. They couldn't drive it because they didn't know how to drive a stick shift.

Pushrod Fifty /

I brought a Toyota Yaris new in 2013, it was the only stick car I could find. Honda Civics were supposed to offer a stick but there were none in the whole country to be found unless I specialize ordered one from the factory. At 80,000 miles, the Yaris is still like new.

Pushrod Fifty /

As far as the CM Hondamatic, I would buy one if I found one just add to the diversity of my collection. I ride some super twisty roads and once in a while it would be nice to ride them, let's say on a hungover Sunday morning, just sitting lazy assed on the big wide seat- Impala like- and not even think about the gears.

> John Maxson Wrote:

> I brought a Toyota Yaris new in 2013, it was the only stick car I could

> find. Honda Civics were supposed to offer a stick but there were none in

> the whole country to be found unless I specialize ordered one from the

> factory. At 80,000 miles, the Yaris is still like new.

^ If my Tercel ever dies will be on the lookout for a Yaris, in cars I like them to either be tiny or Huge.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account