Who watches the Watchmen

Holy shot this show is amazing. I'm loving it, visually, thematically, the soundtrack and the subplot, the myriad of perfect imperfections

Anyone else enjoying it, let's talk theories, for one it's pretty clear Ozy is trapped by trieu (possibly by his own design and possibly on the moon or Mars, and possibly returning in the space junk of episode 4?), will is probably hooded justice, and lubeman is petey the fbi fanboy nerd

Re: Who watches the Watchmen

Comics are my fave. But I won't pay for hbo.

Good on them for using the original squid storyline. But it's still not really an adaptation of the comic. I'll watch it when I can swipe an hbo login.

Anonymous User /
scootertrash

I’ll check it out.

I'm just sneaking by on HBO promos and binging or exploring back alley black freighter routes.

It seems to be getting a lotta hate from folks who cant get any deeper than the surface, which is probably too bad, it's quite genius in a lot of subtle ways, and just campy enough to be on point

I am liking it so far.

Theres so much going on, so many clever little details, I'm already feeling like I need to rewatch the first episodes. That was a big part of what was so great in the comic, a reread you notice all these little details, clues and hints, or just amazing little aesthetic details like the random details in the name of the garbage company or the mirroring how each issue started and ended on the same image. The show does a great job carrying that into film

I started watching it the other night an I'm not sure a boot it. I will continue to watch but this is just odd.

It's definitely weird but in a fun way. it gets better and better too. And the more you watch and pay attention the better it gets, you start to see the clues and details, it's one of the things i really loved about the comic was the re-readability, this is totally great and absolutely even better on a second watch. (Yes, i've already started rewatching the first episodes)

It's really really fun. great characters, good mystery, just campy enough.

plus i love all the atlanta locations (set in tulsa...)

Never read the comics, just the movie. I like the show also. I'm going to watch the movie again to see if I can catch anything.

I also started watching his dark materials just for the hell of it.

yeah same. my wife likes that story. it's a pretty stark contrast, watchmen is like an adventure I'm glued to my seat trying to catch all the little hints, I think about it off and on all week. HDM is like someone telling me a story. But it seems to be a good story at least

This is becoming very interesting.

Episode 7-

WTF is a modern Vespa doing in a scene set in the 70s

-_-

HAHA yeah I said the same. Made my wife pause it. I like the expresses in vietnam last episode, those make sense that should be '86

You’re probably closer on the timeline but that Vespa still seems wrong to me. Those Honda’s were definitely... nostalgic ;)

The elephant threw me... since elephants never forget

Ѭ ɞŦЯʚOluv Ѫѫ /

So if anyone is bored and wants to check out the original comics someone uploaded the entire thing in the motion comic version to their channel. Here’s part 1:

The show is a trip. What’s her name from Designing Women who plays the detective... Jean Smart. She is in all the best shows. Fargo, Legion, Watchmen and shit I even saw her in Halt and Catch Fire!(edited)

yeah, this show needs to address the elephant in the room

Ep7

‘An Almost Religious Awe’

23:50

1 Honda express(?) possibly 2 spotted

Funny enough, HBO has it so I can’t take a screen shot on my phone so you’ll have to go look

Really entertaining show but I never followed the comics so had taken me several episodes to grasp any type of plot ha

The finale was good!

That was a lot of dick though

Was that the end or season one finale?

Show won't be back for a season 2 unfortunately. The creator left the production.

yea kinda a bummer, but it was pretty well understood to be a single season going in. like there was always the chance they could convince the creators to pursue season 2 if it went well enough, but it was always only a possibility but not the expectation.

In alot of ways it's too bad, but in other ways it's probably for the best. it was so good and stands alone brilliantly, it addressed some interesting pen points to link to the original comic without relying on it entirely. I don't think it'd be possible to recreate that. I think a 2nd season would have to rely on a new story and set of characters, and it'd be nearly impossible to link it into the old stories and continue the new.

As an example compare how great the watchmen was versus how fuck awful doomsday clock was.

but still, what a cliffhanger to live with forever.

and all the open questions, like what's up with panda (and the pandas in looking glasses flashback)? I think it's meant to indicate a world view that's very black and white, panda couldn't release weapons without it being exactly by the book regardless of individual circumstances, or young looking glass seeing a christian conservative world as clearly either right or wrong - contrasted with much of the story centering around moral ambiguity, the gray area.

They apparently answered the lube guy in the supplemental online peteypedia (it was infact dale petey). But what's up with red scare and pirate jenny.

I sorta see red as just an indicator of the now very cordial relations between US and russia enabled by the squid attack that diffused the cold war, while pirate jenny is maybe an affectionate nod to the curse of the black freighter substory in the comics. But I still would enjoy more of their backstories.

If there were a 2nd season, I think the points that it could explore would be dan dreiberg, who's apparently in jail for violating the keene act, maybe with ozy winding up in the same jail, their effort together to escape perhaps and foil some other plot

but the dr manhattan plot, i dunnohow that works, he/she is a god, theyve played toying with that ultimate power, and used the excuse for why how he could be present but despite knowing all through all time, was unable to know or control that set of events.

but i think they'd need to distance from tulsa and the character set of the 1st season to flush out something or someone else and make a second season more as another standalone with certain tie-ins.

and i think it'd be best as something returned to not as immediate followup to season 1, but maybe in 5-10 years.

not like it matters anyway

im only interested in LUBEMAN

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account