Hyosung Sense SD-50

So I just got this scooter, had damaged ignition key, bypassed it, and it fired right up, I don't know anything about this make, other than I think it's Korean? It's 50cc 2 stroke, quite fast, saw 40 with a little more to give, excellent brakes. Anyone have one, any information appreciated.

20191109_143248.jpg

Re: Hyosung Sense SD-50

Traitor

Andrew Squiggman /

If you work moped army you can Google. Jeez

Stephen Keller /

I did, and found the owners manual, just wondering if anyone else had had one, experiences etc.

Stephen Keller /

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Traitor

Lol, maybe, but I sure do like this thing, too bad it is really to f-ing cold to use it, putting it up for the winter this week, it is 10 times more comfortable than any moped, but the small wheels take a bit of getting used to, I look silly taking off from stop signs trying to put my feet on non=existent pedals/pegs...lol. Brakes are amazing, and there is a cup holder! All I need now is a radio...

Probably Fred /

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> > live ɘvil Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Traitor

>

> Lol, it is 10 times

> more comfortable than any moped,

Ah no!

You just never had a solid, good, comfortable moped

C7697646-B17F-4527-9408-0A5B1F4A11C3.jpeg

Stephen Keller /

I don't like magnums. Now find a TSM... ;)

They get bogged easily in the snow and the small tire's gyroscopic effect do not contribute much to staying vertical onice... but cheapo scooters are excellent to arse around on in the winter...

...justsaying...

Stephen Keller /

^ Ha! I might be doing just that, I have to ride it to where I'm storing it for the winter, kind of dumb to have bought it in Nov, but the price was right! I don't know anything about this brand, but it seems a notch or two above the gy-6 nonsense. :)

Stephen Keller /

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> > Stephen Keller Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > > live ɘvil Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > Traitor

>

> >

>

> > Lol, it is 10 times

>

> > more comfortable than any moped,

>

> Ah no!

>

> You just never had a solid, good, comfortable moped

> >This was pretty damn comfy, but was no longer fast enough to be safe, :( My weight gain was no help either, I don't have your tuning skills or any desire to kit bikes, so, to go faster, I bought something that was designed to do it. Not sorry, seat is crazy nice on the scooter. I have owned 2 Sebrings, and those had amazing seats, but the one I had that ran was a dog, compared to the Hobbit, and the other was a non-runner, bought when drunk, (stupid) no trans guts! lol at me, traded it for my QT-50, worth it. I just can't get into magnum's, don't know why, never even ridden one, should give one a try, not quitting mopeds, will always have one to tool around the neighborhood, but for actual transpo, this blue bomber may just become my go-to! I got 40 on this stock, with a catalyst in the damn exhaust! (see, I can google) and had to slow down as I was freezing, and out driving the super lame headlamp. Love the oil injection, can top up at the pump like a normal person, not have to rely on pre-mix. Disc front brake is awesome too, pulled a "stoppie" just to see if I could...I'm too old for that shit! But it did it. Sadly, everyone gets old, and comfort comes before cool sometimes, that's where I'm at, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. But I will ride until they take my license away.

102.jpg

but shouldnt this be the place to talk about shitty scooters, NOT mopeds? Let's keep off topic here fellers.

Hyosung are pretty good, and 2 stroke

I believe it's a clone of the Suzuki Hyper AE50 motor and they're remarkably quick, with a pipe you could hit 50. It's right in line with the honda dio and yamaha jog (horizontal minarelli) but the hyosing I think and maybe adly? were the only ones to get the suzuki design into the US?

sweet scooter, or at least a sweet powerplant, i'd maybe tryn swap it into something funnier

Stephen Keller /

Thanks Will, that is kind of what I was looking for, I will google that engine after work this morning, is a Suzuki clone for sure, and is very quick, @210 I was going 40 the one ride I got, and was outdriving the very shitty headlight so slowed down, the owners manual indicates a catalyst is involved, so yeah, a pipe could be in order. On the other hand it runs strong and smooth, so maybe don't fuck with it? There seem to be a lot of scooter forums, any experience with hem, some better than others? It's going to be 40 here on Sat, so will get one more ride in on the way to store this, it's much bigger than I had assumed, was thinking Spree size, not so, almost 200lbs! But it is very comfortable, just not to carry! :)

Stephen Keller /

^Adly seems to be right, seen their parts advertised alongside parts for this and other models both company's made, the machine is no longer made, so true to form I bought a unicorn, never seen one before, but today ordered the last paper factory service manual a place in AZ had, loving that, as I prefer a paper manual, they also used to carry wear items, such as vac petcock, (why don't these things use a real valve?) :/ Brake shoes and pads, and clutch, also drive belts, dude was really cool, answered his phone and allowed me to order that way vs online, nice shout out to Powersports outlet in AZ. Said they would look and see what was still on the shelf. If this bike continues to perform as it did on it's first ride, I aim to keep it going a good long time. :) Going to check out Scooterville in Mpls too, see if they have ever heard of this thing, maybe as in mopeds certain things like switchgear, belts, brakes crossed over several models? Always thought I would go Honda, but @ $100.00, titled and plated, hard to pass up, and 2 stroke, so I have not strayed too far...lol. Can't say enough about the brakes, so strong.

The manual will likely be a kinkos copy assembled binder

Stephen Keller /

We will see I guess, as long as the info is all there, I could care less, is Kinkos even a thing anymore? Can't remember the last time I saw one. I do not read manuals on line while working on anything, holding the paper manual in hand, even if it is a copy is much better than a tiny phone screen. F-smart phones.

Stephen Keller /

Well, got it put away, rode it a few miles, those tiny wheels are going to take some getting used to! But going 40 is nice, may just motivate me to kit the hobbit, or at least pipe it. Will be hard to beat the plush seat on this guy though.

I mean theres a reason nobody makes mopeds and everyone sells scooters. They're faster and more reliable and efficient and lower maintenance and more storage and more comfortable and better brakes and lights and blinkers and accessories and same cost.

But they're very much a different beast

Stephen Keller /

They certainly are! Just what I needed, more power, complete with less stability! But the price was right, and at around 30 not too unstable, riding it to my parents place for storage was only my second ride, it seems scooters need minute inputs to change direction compared to a moped, will take some practice to get used to. The brakes ROCK compared to my mopeds. At 40 went to change lanes, too much input, set up a very scary wobble...got it under control, but wow, drove a scooter Shelly was selling a few yrs back, a Jog, and the wheels were even smaller than this, passed on it, as I could not ride it in a straight line! :D I have not ridden anything more powerful than a stock moped in about 20 yrs, I like the extra power, engine has a nice note at wot. I have a line on a Helix this spring, hoping the super long wheelbase offsets the small wheel handling issues, the seat is pure joy! I like the fact this bike has a plastic tank for both gas and oil, but the no petcock is a bummer, it took a bit of cranking to get fuel to the carb after it sat for a week or so, but once it popped was running like a charm. You mentioned that no one makes mopeds anymore, and that is sad, if I had money would see if I could buy the rights to the Hobbit design, use the last gen format, cdi, better pipe and variator springs, disc front brake, plastic tank, make it see about 40, a better led headlamp, I bet it would sell like hotcakes. If I had a kid and it showed any interest in riding would never let them have a scooter as a first bike, but would for sure get them a moped, much more stable and forgiving handling wise. Thank you for your input.

Stephen Keller /

> Peter Fondue Wrote:

> The manual will likely be a kinkos copy assembled binder

^ Nope, real deal! :)

Dirty30 Dillon /

Not all scooters have the over steer you're referring to. I find alot of the late 80's and 90's scoots with telescopic forks tend to have a steep steer tube angle (low rake numbers) combine with very light front ends. This gives the oversteer characteristics you're talking about.

The larger scoots, especially anything with a trailing link suspension and longer wheelbase feel great. I was worried when I bought my Lambretta Cento (because it's VERY front lite) that it wsa going to be awful to ride, but the bent/raked fork assy with the trailing link suspension makes it way more stable than most mopeds I own with 17 in. wheels.

Probably Fred /

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> Not all scooters have the over steer you're referring to. I find alot of

> the late 80's and 90's scoots with telescopic forks tend to have a steep

> steer tube angle (low rake numbers) combine with very light front ends.

> This gives the oversteer characteristics you're talking about.

>

> The larger scoots, especially anything with a trailing link suspension

> and longer wheelbase feel great. I was worried when I bought my

> Lambretta Cento (because it's VERY front lite) that it wsa going to be

> awful to ride, but the bent/raked fork assy with the trailing link

> suspension makes it way more stable than most mopeds I own with 17 in.

> wheels.

A Honda elite 250 cc I worked on and got running for my friend scared living hell out of me compared to a stock Moped,

I took it 30+ miles on the freeway with no issues! Yes ugly! I can’t say it wasn’t but man with correct carburetor, tuning and exhaust/everything to stock specifications that held perfectly at 60- low60s forever, I got to ride it for several weeks before he came back from his tour of duty,

It was it fun and scary at the same time, I never got one thumbs up from any rider because it was so ugly but I loved the engine and drivetrain, me thinks it would be perfect to weld onto a magnum MKII frame

Stephen Keller /

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> Not all scooters have the over steer you're referring to. I find alot of

> the late 80's and 90's scoots with telescopic forks tend to have a steep

> steer tube angle (low rake numbers) combine with very light front ends.

> This gives the oversteer characteristics you're talking about.

>

> The larger scoots, especially anything with a trailing link suspension

> and longer wheelbase feel great. I was worried when I bought my

> Lambretta Cento (because it's VERY front lite) that it wsa going to be

> awful to ride, but the bent/raked fork assy with the trailing link

> suspension makes it way more stable than most mopeds I own with 17 in.

> wheels.

^ Great to know, this has the telescopic forks, and short wheelbase, hence the sketchiness, but like anything else, it is just a new skill to learn, and it is only really pronounced and speeds over 30, the Helix I'm hoping for has a HUGE wheelbase and the trailing link front suspension, and everything I have read about them indicates great handling, also has the same engine as the CH250 discussed, plenty of power, it's only "fault" is it sounds like a generator! :) (I can live with that) I can sell this scoot in a heartbeat for a profit given how little I paid. Thanks for the input!

I think that's the Suzuki Morini based engine.... TGB used a Morini clone also, as did Derbi. Stock and sport parts are easy enough to find. It's a bitch to go beyond that.

Stephen Keller /

^ Thanks, unless I get to be an expert scooter pilot in the spring, I have no desire to go any faster than 40 on this thing, just going to enjoy the comfy seat and electric start, oh and the cup holder! :D

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account