Re: Bowling for Columbine, who has seen it?

Are YOU honestly trying to understand? You're going up in a plane, a Cessna 4-seater, and they are standing there giving out parachutes to anyone who will take one...…………...are they afraid because they take one, or WISE?

Same with life vests...……… they take one so they're AFRAID of going on a tour boat?

They are WISE.

You go for a ride on your moped or MC...……...you take and wear a helmet because you are WISE. Get it?

It is WISE to see what might happen and be prepared for it. (edited)

Stephen Keller /

I guess, but could see needing a life jacket or motorcycle helmet far more than a gun unless you live in some sort or war zone ghetto. Do understand I don't advocate banning guns, I just can't figure out what people are so scared of. In most places in the United States life is simply not that dangerous.

I recently quit carrying after 8 years. I never needed it, and I realized that I started when I was a cocky 21year old that diddnt know shit... I may start again if I get back into the courier business.

It did get me out of several tickets though, handed my permit over with my DL and we just ended up talking about curio/relic firearms before getting cut loose. I was usually carrying something antique like a Browning or Wather. sometimes my makarov, The Soviet Bloc stuff always started conversations.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I guess, but could see needing a life jacket or motorcycle helmet far

> more than a gun unless you live in some sort or war zone ghetto. Do

> understand I don't advocate banning guns, I just can't figure out what

> people are so scared of. In most places in the United States life is

> simply not that dangerous.

you should be scared of bad/crazy people with guns

with 80% being a thing. they cannot "go away" at this point - im not saying you are for that at all.

just... rather have an even playing field. you dont need one bc you want to carry one, you should want one because people are crazy and you'd rather have an even hand if ever needed then not

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> Same with life vests...……… they take one so they're AFRAID of going on

> on a tour boat?

Carrying a gun is more like wearing a life vest in the desert.

rather live naked than in fear.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

sometimes my makarov

Sweet! I have a FEG63 - aka Makarov that i carry (on the rare occasion i actually carry it).

I recently quit carrying after 8 years. I never needed it,

I dont care if you carry or not, thats your business and your not wrong whatever you decide to do. Just keep in mind you dont need something until you do. Its like life insurance... "Ive had it for years but never needed it." The day you're hit by a truck your family will need it.

I just can't figure out what people are so scared of.

I agree with Don on the parachute thing. Being prepared doesnt mean your scared. Its like having a rainy day fund... that doesnt make you scared it makes your smart.

Carrying a gun is more like wearing a life vest in the desert.

There is not a one size fixes all for life situations. Im glad you feel safe without owning a gun, but your way of life does not apply to all people. But im sure no matter what i say you'll disagree, its what you do!

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

>

> Carrying a gun is more like wearing a life vest in the desert.

>

> There is not a one size fixes all for life situations. Im glad you feel

> safe without owning a gun, but your way of life does not apply to all

> people. But im sure no matter what i say you'll disagree, its what you

> do!

You on the other hand are all about changing your opinions based on facts and agreeing with people.

If i'd live somewhere where i didn't feel safe without a gun i would move to a place that is safe.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

You on the other hand are all about changing your opinions based on facts and agreeing with people.

I listen to many sides of the argument... i cant help it your side often doesnt make logical sense to me. Hell i probably listen to NPR more than anyone on this site... still not a big government supporter.

If i'd live somewhere where i didn't feel safe without a gun i would move to a place that is safe.

I do live somewhere that feels safe, and i dont carry 99% of the time. However, sometimes i travel down town (and other areas) where Ive had people charge at me in the streets and even assault one of my buddies (threw a brick at him while he was riding a moped). So again, life is too complicated for a one size fixes all problem.

Whatever!!

I recently quit carrying after 8 years. I never needed it,

that's great! you dont want to need it.... 99 times you dont, but that 1 time you do, you'll be sorry you dont have it.

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

>

> If i'd live somewhere where i didn't feel safe without a gun i would

> move to a place that is safe.

>

> I do live somewhere that feels safe, and i dont carry 99% of the time.

> However, sometimes i travel down town (and other areas) where Ive had

> people charge at me in the streets and even assault one of my buddies

> (threw a brick at him while he was riding a moped). So again, life is

> too complicated for a one size fixes all problem.

>

I once had a Christian fuckjob throw his big bundle of keys at me when i drove my moped through his religious hellhole on a sunday. I don't see how a gun would improve on that situation.

You don't need to be prepared for every "what if" situation in the world. You don't keep a fire extinguisher in your backpack just in case you happen to stumble upon a fire.

I am not "anti-gun" but your points make no sense at all.

I have never been offered a parachute as a precaution in any aircraft I have ever occupied, only time is when I have been jumping.

I have never been offered a personal life jacket or floatation device on any tour boat ship.

I do I wear a helmet on a motorbike, but it is for my protection, not to deter another motorist from trying to attack me. It is preventive not defensive.

Inmyopinion, it is more "WISE" to make arguments to support your side of a debate, rather than to quote some emotional pamphlet or speech from an association which supports your opinion. Such sentiments do not make sense to people of a different opinion, and detract from the point you are trying to make when they do not make sense.

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> Are YOU honestly trying to understand? You're going up in a plane, a

> Cessna 4-seater, and they are standing there giving out parachutes to

> anyone who will take one...…………...are they afraid because they take one,

> or WISE?

>

> Same with life vests...……… they take one so they're AFRAID of going on

> on a tour boat?

>

> They are WISE.

>

> You go for a ride on your moped or MC...……...you take and wear a helmet

> t because you are WISE. Get it?

>

> It is WISE to see what might happen and be prepared for it.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> I guess, but could see needing a life jacket or motorcycle helmet far

> more than a gun unless you live in some sort or war zone ghetto. Do

> understand I don't advocate banning guns, I just can't figure out what

> people are so scared of. In most places in the United States life is

> simply not that dangerous.

Right, a lifevest, parachute or helmet do not make you statistically more likely to die..

Im still impressed with the perspective of the article nick posted: there are people who react to negative stimuli, favoring feelings of security and eschewing danger. It's easy for those of us who are more optimistic to view that as fear, but from that viewpoint to perceive it as wise and safe.

but still, statistically it doesn't add up, and really strongly seems comes down to emotional response based on personal history and tendency to focus on the bad more than the good. Can I agree? no. but I can at least see where it isn't so much an active cowardice as just a wholly different outlook on life

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> > Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > If i'd live somewhere where i didn't feel safe without a gun i would

>

> > move to a place that is safe.

>

> >

>

> > I do live somewhere that feels safe, and i dont carry 99% of the time.

>

> > However, sometimes i travel down town (and other areas) where Ive had

>

> > people charge at me in the streets and even assault one of my buddies

>

> > (threw a brick at him while he was riding a moped). So again, life is

>

> > too complicated for a one size fixes all problem.

>

> >

>

> I once had a Christian fuckjob throw his big bundle of keys at me when i

> drove my moped through his religious hellhole on a sunday. I don't see

> how a gun would improve on that situation.

>

> You don't need to be prepared for every "what if" situation in the

> world. You don't keep a fire extinguisher in your backpack just in case

> you happen to stumble upon a fire.

well... stumbling upon a fire is easy. you can walk away with your life. bullets are quite fast and can tear a nice hole through yours/loved ones skin

"well sh00bs, we'll just comply with their demands! duhh,, idiot"

sometimes you cant comply with crazy, their motive may jsut be to inflict harm on you / youre family / people and things you care about.

at that moment im sure you'll be happy you dont have any protection :)

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> Are YOU honestly trying

>

> .........WISE.

Stephen Keller /

Maybe I'm naive, but I'm with the "statistically it just doesn't add up camp". In my neighborhood, been here about 19 yrs now, there used to be gunshots heard fairly regularly, a bullet came through the window of the apt below me, at an angle where had it come through my window it most like would have hit me, owning a gun would not have helped me at all. Turns out no one was intentionally shooting at the building, just some dumb-ass kids "playing" with a stolen pistol. They have been steadily improving this area since I moved in, as a light rail line and station will be coming through blocks from me in about 2 more yrs, and it is night and day, the problem people have been arrested-moved on, whatever, problem buildings demolished, a park created, getting really nice. I never once felt threatened in any way, when I moved in I had no car, used the bus, was up all hours, walking, bicycling etc, saw the dealers lookouts on the corner, always said hi, made sure they knew I saw them knew what they were about, but never gave them trouble, I never had any in return. There has never been a burglary in my complex since I have lived here or a stolen car. I guess if its your time it's your time, I'm not combat trained, when you are young and cocky you assume you could shoot it out and win, when you really think about it, the odds are NOT in your favor. If you are lucky, both you idiots miss, but then where to the bullets end up? Again, unless you are living in South Central or somewhere similar, the best defense is to be a known, non-asshole in your community, this means tolerating people who are different, but even bad guys will say, "nah, don't rob him I know that guy, he's all right". Random shit can and will always happen, but life is short, and I'm not wasting my time worrying about "what if". What if the boiler blows up in the building tonight? I'm dead, that's what, and I feel the odds of that are about equal to my ever needing to defend myself with deadly force. (edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> You can end up `looking down the barrel' OR `sighting down the barrel'

> during a life-threratening situation......it's up to you.

The only barrel you're sighting down is a fucking hot dog with ketchup and mustard.

I hope you never have to look down the barrel of a gun that's threatening you or your family.

BUT, it's your choice! You can stand there and watch what happens,or you can prevent what THEY intend to happen.

It's a free country...………….they won't in most States make you wear a helmet either.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> I hope you never have to look down the barrel of a gun that's

> threatening you or your family.

>

> BUT, it's your choice! You can stand there and watch what happens,or

> r you can prevent what THEY intend to happen.

>

> It's a free country...………….they won't in most States make you wear a

> a helmet either.

And I hope that you diapers never runneth over. Amen.

Brad William /

I'm a little bit extremophile on this security mentality. At least in my community, which is a pretty well average representation of 98 percent of america. My friends and neighbors all think I'm bizarre for never locking my doors. My car or my house.

When even one house robbery happens in my, fairly typical, neighborhood or city, it hysterically makes the evening news and next day's paper. It's fucking rare. A child abduction? Never mind. And never mind that 99 percent of the time it would have been an extranged ex wife/husband commiting it. Breaking into my car? If I'm in the wrong side of chicago, detroit, or cleveland.... sure. I'll inconvenince myself to have to use my key in the door. Otherwise? Here in averagevillle? It's just irrational fear. I'm not gonna give in to it. My house? What???? Who the fuck goes from door to door TRYING EVERY GODDAMN DOORKNOB TO SEE WHICH ONE IS UNLOCKED? They break and enter, circumventing the locks... and EVEN B&E IS EXCEEDINGLY RARE IN MY CITY, MOST CITIES IN THE USA.

I could post on the door if I were really concerned enough... Please, please don't destroy my expensive doorknob if you've singled me out to steal from this premisis. Just walk in. One less thing for me to repurchase. Thank you..

So 99.9999999999 percent of the fucking nuisance we endure by carrying guns, locking doors, investing in costly and mind numbingly complicated wifi connected door locks, ends up for naught. But we persist.

I'm not the most worldy, but have live three years of my life in Italy and two years in Greece, and another few variously outside the united states. I've lived in 4 large us cities. 70 percent of my life I've lived in small, very very typical, US cities. And on this matter we in the 'states' are truly fucked up. We are so irrationally obsessed with rapists, murderers, burglars, child abductors, terrorists, etc etc, that it boggles the mind of anyone even reasonably rational. (edited)

> Brad William Wrote:

> Who the fuck goes from door to door TRYING EVERY

> GODDAMN DOORKNOB TO SEE WHICH ONE IS UNLOCKED?

It happens, gypsies do it al the time over here. Fucking Romanian gypsies are thieving scumbags, or at least the ones that come here.

Brad William /

...and not to pick on don unnecessarily except that he does weigh in pretty vocally on this stuff.. but it's not much of a stretch of dot connecting to simply look through the list of commercial sponsors who VERY richly reward most right wing radio hosts. ADT, SimpliSafe, Lifelock, Brinks, survivalist equippers (it's a comin folks), guns, pepper sprays, camo this camo that, etc etc etc. Just tune in once and pay attention only to the sponsor's ads and product endorsements. Fear mongering is a multibillion dollar business folks. And suckers are born by the minute. Fine and well, and caveat emptor, and your business and what you buy is none of mine. Except when your paranoia and maladapted insecurity votes this kind of psychopathy into our governing bodies and legislatures.

Is there hope? (edited)

Stephen Keller /

> Brad William Wrote:

> I'm a little bit extremophile on this security mentality. At least in

> my community, which is a pretty well average representation of 98

> percent of america. My friends and neighbors all think I'm bizarre for

> never locking my doors. My car or my house.

>

> When even one house robbery happens in my, fairly typical, neighborhood

> or city, it hysterically makes the evening news and next day's paper.

> It's fucking rare. A child abduction? Never mind. And never mind

> that 99 percent of the time it would have been an extranged ex

> wife/husband commiting it. Breaking into my car? If I'm in the wrong

> side of chicago, detroit, or cleveland.... sure. I'll inconvenince

> myself to have to use my key in the door. Otherwise? Here in

> averagevillle? It's just irrational fear. I'm not gonna give in to it.

> My house? What???? Who the fuck goes from door to door TRYING EVERY

> GODDAMN DOORKNOB TO SEE WHICH ONE IS UNLOCKED? They break and enter,

> circumventing the locks... and EVEN B&E IS EXCEEDINGLY RARE IN MY CITY,

> MOST CITIES IN THE USA.

>

> I could post on the door if I were really concerned enough... Please,

> please don't destroy my expensive doorknob if you've singled me out to

> steal from this premisis. Just walk in. One less thing for me to

> repurchase. Thank you..

>

> So 99.9999999999 percent of the fucking nuisance we endure by carrying

> guns, locking doors, investing in costly and mind numbingly complicated

> wifi connected door locks, ends up for naught. But we persist.

>

> I'm not the most worldy, but have live three years of my life in Italy

> and two years in Greece, and another few variously outside the united

> states. I've lived in 4 large us cities. 70 percent of my life I've

> lived in small, very very typical, US cities. And on this matter we in

> the 'states' are truly fucked up. We are so irrationally obsessed with

> rapists, murderers, burglars, child abductors, terrorists, etc etc,

> that it boggles the mind of anyone even reasonably rational.

^EXACTLY!

Brad...…..crime is real and rampant. Get your head outta the sand.

There is one burglary every 13 seconds. There are roughly 2.5 million burglaries a year, 66% of those being home break ins. (Source: https://www.alarms.org/burglary-statistics/)

This is not including shootings, AFAIK. (edited)

Brad William /

You may not be used to reading beyond the first few lines of any book or article that chances by, so I'll help out a bit. This, from the bottom of your link, and one click away...

Alarms.org is the official site of the National Council for Home Safety and Security. On Alarms.org, consumers will find important research, articles, reports, and everything else they need to know about home security and safety. A member directory is forthcoming. The National Council for Home Safety and Security is a national trade association comprised of licensed alarm installers, contractors, and other relevant trade groups across the United States.

Commercial interest does not guarantee bias, or disqualify any source you seek accurate information from.

But use your head.

Just sayin (edited)

Haven't got yer head outta the sand yet, Brad? LOL!

Try this link out, or do you not believe the DOJ figures either?

https://www.bjs.gov//index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=6427

my family being caucasian, live on the westside predominately african american. a historically bad area. the norm is automatic/semi auto gunfire, murders, drug infested, convicted thieves, rapists, child molesters. mentally impaired, and general low lifers. my wife, and i have owned, and live in our home for over 30 yrs. we've raised, and educated two successful daughters. for as many problem people in our community there are just as many great people. i don't care who it is, i throw deuces all day er day. some folks call me mayor, kids call me moses or jesus on a moped, some folks think i'm crazy until they take a chance, and talk with me. i mind my business, and am fearless. we choose to live in a place people run from. it is our contribution to a positive change. i'll reiterate what some of have already said "violence begets violence", and i have zero time for fear mongers. there are some great minds on this forum, and i appreciate you! MOPED!

Jimmy Cincinnati /

https://local12.com/news/local/grandmother-killed-granddaughter-shot-in-home-invasion

That is my old cashier from Aldi. She was a sweet and funny lady. Everytime i saw her I would make the joke "Do you ever go home!?" I cant really do that anymore... sadly.

Lock your doors or buy a gun... or do none of that. Whatever you want. Its your life and Im not mad at you for whatever you choose. (edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

> ID OD Wrote:

> i mind my business, and am fearless. we choose

> to live in a place people run from. it is our contribution to a positive change.

This is the way we should all live.

You can read through the linked BJS .pdf and look for yourself. What it's saying is that crime is rising, not to go buy a gun.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account