Bowling for Columbine, who has seen it?

Never watched it when it came out, just did tonight, I'm neither pro or anti gun, as to me a gun is a tool, nothing more nothing less. I owned a few when younger as my father was an avid hunter/shooter and collector. He has no criminal record, nor is he racist or the average persons idea of a "gun nut". I believe the gun is not the issue but the moron in whose hand it ends up. I have fired thousands of rounds, not a one in anger. I no longer own one as I live in an apartment, and the perceived safety of having one is far outweighed by the potential to harm an innocent. My stupid and much hated cell phone will help me more than a pistol in my shaking hand. But my take-away from the film is that for some reason we in this country are terrified of our neighbors, it is astounding to me. Yes we have criminals but so does everywhere, but we are so shoot first ask questions later, how about talking to those different from you, how about not going around with your back up, people tend to react to you as you present yourself, if you are uptight and scared, those you meet are going to feel that vibe, and come at you the same way, we are living a self defeating prophesy. The daily violence shows this to be true. I have walked up to known criminals, extended a hand and simply said "what's up" talked a bit walked away, why, because I treated another, granted one who's lifestyle I do not accept, but still treated them as a human being. I have friends of every race, and enemies of every race, but not BECAUSE of race, due to actions. We have divided ourselves like a prison yard, for no real reason, we are all the same, want the same things, but the hate makes us animals. When animals are armed, you get our fucked up culture. I'm very sad about this, as America is the worlds melting pot, or it was, now it is an armed camp, and innocent people are paying the ultimate price.

Sorry to rant so, but this is a real thing, I don't know besides each of us taking ownership of our actions, that anything can improve?

What do you guys/gals think?

Re: Bowling for Columbine, who has seen it?

I think...…...…..`When seconds count,the police are only minutes away'(your cell phone,in other words is not gonna cut it).

Gotta go to bed now,or I won't be able to shoot straight in the AM.....LOL!

^ I get your point, but the criminals are scared too, facing prison, so your best bet is to gtfo, I don't know about you, but nothing in my home is worth killing or getting killed for, except my cat, he rocks, but he would beat me out the window! :) I have no issues with people having guns, but in my life I don't feel the need. Be well insured, and live, stuff is nothing. I totally get wanting to ventilate a burglar, they have it coming. BUT violence begets violence, it has to stop.

Never saw that movie because i seriously dislike Michael Moore.

I don't even think about the possibility of being robbed in my own home as the chances of that happening are next to nothing, let alone i'd need a gun to protect me from something that will likely never happen.

Megasaurass wRexckses /

Look no further than Mike Mooron stirring up shit.

National security is not your protection anymore, it means protect the government from us find out the crooked shit they’ve been up to this whole time.(edited)

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I think...…...…..`

No, you actually don't.

What you do is regurgitate what you hear on Fox News, and what you have been taught from the Bible. You don't have any original thoughts, whatsoever.(edited)

Most crooks are opportunists, and they will take the low risk highest return option always, and they are not going to stop and read any signs on the lawn or front door that you own guns. So someone gets into your stuff, they just want to take something of value they can pawn off for cash quickly to satisfy what ever has driven them to take such chances. Really and totally not worth either you or the perpetrator getting into a gun battle if you think with your head and not your ego or genitalia.

Most folks also should keep in mind that movie shyte is just movie shyte, no saying how things would go down if there was an armed confrontation. Most folks who have a firearm pointed at them will discover their bladder will not hold up to the initial confrontation. No saying how a person would react under such duress, but guaranteed the perpetrator will have either their aggressive game or their wound-up scared shyte attitude already on. Confrontation might not end up how folks perceive it in their minds eye one on one on the street, at home or even in a house invasion or folks ganging up on them, but guaranteed, counter-aggression will bring them to some sort of snapping point.

I own guns (so dont bother with the he is Canadian and anti gun) because I am a farmer and the prime reason is to dispatch animals humanely and efficiently. I do not go on the hunt, I have neighbours and friends who do that quite effectively and they are sharing so I do not need to feed my ego or justify 'feeding my family' or what ever else is a reason in some minds.

I was properly trained in the use or a side arm and a long rifle to the level where I am effective and efficient with the use of either firearm. It is a skill I maintain. But I am not obsessed with the tools neither am I braggy or driven by other reasons to show off these tools.

The trouble I think is more in people's heads than anything else. Some folks are not wired right and should not have legal access to firearms, and I feel the laws should be such that access should not be granted to them. I also think it would be a good idea to hold not just the buyer but the vendor accountable when a firearm ends up in the wrong hands. Anywhere that has legislation and regulation for the purchase or ownership of firearms (or types of arms) should also hold the administration overseeing those rules accountable for the tools getting into the wrong hands.

...just my opinions...

Remember my words, boys, when you are faced with unspeakable consequences because you will not defend your loved ones or yourselves. Of course it's too late to correct your helpless situation then.

It's not about your goods...……………………...it's about your loved ones lives.

A handgun is an IMMEDIATE protection from: Murderers,rapists, MASS shooters, kidnappers,etc.

THINK about it...……………………..then get a conceal and carry permit.(edited)

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> Remember my words boys,

Sure guns are a tool, but every tool has a purpose and a gun's purpose is to kill. Just like a die grinder is more effective than sandpaper, a .45 caliber handgun is more effective at killing than a .22. Pretending that guns aren't correlated to deaths is silly; the only effective gun control is caliber control.

I own a .22 rifle with an 8 round magazine, and I have had to confront a person with it to protect my vehicle. I didn't shoot him, but if I would have had to my rifle would have sufficed. Caliber, handgun, and magazine size restrictions are effective controls of gun homicides. Caliber and magazine size restrictions are especially pertinent in mass shooting scenarios, even though those account for a small fraction of gun deaths.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/03/27/upshot/deadly-bullets-guns.html

The largest contributor to gun deaths by far is suicides, at around 60%. Homicides make up about 37%. Gun control can be effective but is really just a bandaid to the underlying issues facing society. Investment in education (especially in inner cities) and mental health resources (especially those geared towards students) will reduce crime/violence and improve society as a whole.

I was always taught that .22 was one of the most lethal calibers. The velocity, bullet bouncing around and shockwave tear up ur insides and you die from infection rather than sheer blood loss..

Then again, my dad was kind of crazy.

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> I was always taught that .22 was one of the most lethal calibers. The

> velocity, bullet bouncing around and shockwave tear up ur insides and

> you die from infection rather than sheer blood loss..

>

> Then again, my dad was kind of crazy.

Reason to use 22s is because the bullets are small and they don't come out the other end like a 45, see, a 45 will blow a barn door out the back of your head and there's a lot of dry cleaning involved, but a 22 will just rattle around like Pac-Man until you're dead.

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> I was always taught that .22 was one of the most lethal calibers. The

> velocity, bullet bouncing around and shockwave tear up ur insides and

> you die from infection rather than sheer blood loss..

>

> Then again, my dad was kind of crazy.

Common .22 ammo is deadly. Stinger .22 and other enhanced rounds are even deadlier.

Your protection is in that the gun `barks here and bites OVER THERE.'

You might think the ricochet chance makes .22 more lethal but statistics show that it's simply not enough of a factor to make a noticeable impact.

Shot placement matters most with smaller calibers.(edited)

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> > Common... deadly....

> jayson sumpter Wrote:

> Shot placement matters most with smaller calibers.

donohio.jpg

All this is interesting, but what I really wonder about is WHY we are so damn afraid? I don't ever think about being robbed, ever. Maybe I'm naive? It just does not happen where I live. It is not some fancy area either. Maybe if I lived in the straight ghetto I would consider owning a gun. There are other countries that allow gun ownership that do not have nearly the level of violence that the US does. Rebel makes a good point about what most people would really do if a gun was pointed at them. Are people really so impressionable that they can't differentiate movies from reality? If so it does not say much for our educational system. I just don't understand where this obsession with violence comes from in this country? The news doesn't help at all, 24hrs a day of the worst of human behavior, and as bad as that is it is a very small part of reality, but it sells, so that is what you see. I have not watched a TV newscast is yrs. But if you took that to be reality I could see being scared. The only way to get past this in my eyes is to turn off the TV, put down the phone and "gasp" go outside and talk to people, the only news that is ever going to have much impact on you is what is going on in your immediate area, get out there and be a part of it. Be aware of those around you, don't worry what is going on across the country, know what is going on across the street!

fear is the #1 bait for media consumption. they gotta play with their strong suit.

im not a huge gun nut but i do enjoy shooting and more so building my own. i like knowing exactly how my guns work and how they go together - kinda like my moped. if something doesnt work, i know exactly what to look for and where to check.

i have built several ar15's. guns like mopeds take a lot of money so i dont have any more desire to build/acquire anymore then what i currently have. like others have said, it's personal protection. sure i'd rather run if possible but if it comes to defending my family or my dog, i wont hesitate in a "them or me" situation.

i keep a .22 8rd Henry breakdown survival rifle in my garage for can shooting, any unruly animals (im back in the woods a bit) and the rare chance some sketchy folks come down the driveway being my house is 200' from my garage.

in my room i have a 9mm m&p shield i love in a draw next to my bed

then for sport shooting i have a locked cabinet with my ar15 (556/223), ar9, sidebyside 12g, 308 bolt action and a ar10.

sadly i live in MD which is near impossible to get a carry permit

ah well

the media rarely if ever shows when good people with guns stop bad people with guns, because it doesnt fit their narrative. sure someone with bad intentions would rather "shoot up" a gun free zone, that's just an advantage for them....

guns arent the issue, it's people. if you take away guns, a person who wants to do harm will find another way. WMD with white powder (im a hazmat tech btw), using a car as a ram, stabbing people with knives as you can see in London. guns are a tool, and that's that. tools make things easier, but there's more then 1 way to skin a cat

how many times have you used something to fix your moped that wasnt the right thing for the job but it got it done? yeahhhh

I didnt expect to see much value in this post, but Rebel's comment is very well written and your initial post is a good logical read too.

One piece that really resonated with me was the "self defeating prophesy" aspect of it. It really is true and I never quite thought about it that way, but the people carrying guns are doing so expecting a problem, they're looking for trouble and constantly afraid.

Then Don's comments really reinforced it, exposed that mentaility and it really sinks it home:

"it's not about your goods...……………………...it's about your loved ones lives. A handgun is an IMMEDIATE protection from: Murderers,rapists, MASS shooters, kidnappers,etc."

That is someone cnstantly living in fear and worry, expecting that any and every other person is a rapist or murderer coming to get you, there's an enemy at every corner and the only thing that calms the coward's anxiety is the comfort of a gun and knowing you're able to quickly and easily kill anyone you meet.

Like of course you're going to feel scared all the time if every interaction you're approaching from the mindset of "any of these people could be after me, and I need to protect my self and family from them" and yeah the self fulfilling prophecy comment really fits

Megasaurass wRexckses /

My comment got impeached.

LOL! @ Will D's inane conjecture...…………….on the other hand, you GO,Chris!

if you take away guns, a person who wants to do harm will find another way.

that's the point though, take away the easily accessible options. you think a 14 year old kid is gonna figure out how to make anthrax? you think a crazy radical nutjob is gonna be as effectively lethal with home-made pipe bombs as just randomly unloading hundreds of high power shells into a crowd from 500 yards away

but no i dont believe that we'd all be safer if everyone was carrying guns around

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> I didnt expect to see much value in this post, but Rebel's comment is

> very well written and your initial post is a good logical read too.

>

> One piece that really resonated with me was the "self defeating

> prophesy" aspect of it. It really is true and I never quite thought

> about it that way, but the people carrying guns are doing so expecting a

> problem, they're looking for trouble and constantly afraid.

>

> Then Don's comments really reinforced it, exposed that mentaility and it

> really sinks it home:

>

> "it's not about your goods...……………………...it's about your loved ones

> lives. A handgun is an IMMEDIATE protection from: Murderers,rapists,

> MASS shooters, kidnappers,etc."

>

> That is someone cnstantly living in fear and worry, expecting that any

> and every other person is a rapist or murderer coming to get you,

> there's an enemy at every corner and the only thing that calms the

> coward's anxiety is the comfort of a gun and knowing you're able to

> quickly and easily kill anyone you meet.

>

> Like of course you're going to feel scared all the time if every

> interaction you're approaching from the mindset of "any of these people

> could be after me, and I need to protect my self and family from them"

> and yeah the self fulfilling prophecy comment really fits

Some research that supports what you're saying: https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/full/10.1098/rstb.2011.0268#aff-1

Basically, this study found a link between conservatives reacting more based off of fear and liberals reacting more based off of positive stimuli. It's pretty interesting and more research should be done to better understand how we make politcal decisions (and therefore how we can make better ones)

whoa, yeah, that's an interesting perspective. I'm pretty sure I count as a liberal, and I'll admit I'm optimistic sometimes to the point of naivete

Dirty30 Dillon /

Most honest OT thread of the year.

I grew up in the woods, with a Grandfather who hunted and a father who owned a few firearms. I was always brought up to respect guns and their intent.

I went through the process of getting the Carry Cert for my then home state and when it came to hand in the cert and required documents I thought "What the hell am I doing? I have never needed a pistol in my entire life."

I now live in NYC where I am probably more at risk than ever, yet I still don't wish I was carrying. Firing a weapon at someone is not something anyone should look forward to, as I have talked to enough people who have had bullets go through their front windows or their loved ones. I just had someone shot on my corner a few weeks back and the blood was on the street for a week and a half.

Overpriced Parts /

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> Never saw that movie because i seriously dislike Michael Moore.

>

Ya me too! He’s just trying to profit off of his films and has a carbon footprint 10 times bigger than the jolly green giant, not to mention where I live which is least probably 99% less Carbon footprint that he makes!

If he would come over to my house I would send him away with verbal warning (not really but I’m just saying that here) to go back to his life-threatening lifestyle and eat at all you can at the all you can eat buffets he could find!

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> Most honest OT thread of the year.

>

> I grew up in the woods, with a Grandfather who hunted and a father who

> owned a few firearms. I was always brought up to respect guns and their

> intent.

>

> I went through the process of getting the Carry Cert for my then home

> state and when it came to hand in the cert and required documents I

> thought "What the hell am I doing? I have never needed a pistol in my

> entire life."

>

> I now live in NYC where I am probably more at risk than ever, yet I

> still don't wish I was carrying. Firing a weapon at someone is not

> something anyone should look forward to, as I have talked to enough

> people who have had bullets go through their front windows or their

> loved ones. I just had someone shot on my corner a few weeks back and

> the blood was on the street for a week and a half.

You can end up `looking down the barrel' OR `sighting down the barrel' during a life-threratening situation......it's up to you.

^ are you honestly that afraid? You live in a safe place. I don't care if you own a gun, nor do I want you to get rid of it. But what has you so concerned? Life experience, or a perceived threat? This is the issue that interests me.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account