Moped Horn Instrument

After a year or so riding mopeds, I find myself consistently intrigued by the different tones and timbres of their horns, and the different frequencies produced at different voltages, at different rpms.

I have limited elemental knowledge of electronics gained from building guitars and mopeds, and studying schematics for tube amplifiers. I also have an intermediate knowledge of music theory. I have it in my head that a simple instrument could be made from using moped horns. Rather than trying to make any kind of major or chromatic scale, to start, I think I would try to just make a simple single 9v battery-powered circuit with a potentiometer and toggle button to a single horn, just to get an idea of the range of sounds that can be created. I will quickly be able to tell if it’s realistic to try to achieve a full octave or not. I may also experiment with other batteries to test the upper limit of voltage your average moped horn can handle.

From there I could add parallel circuits with discrete pots and switches, but might need to add batteries to make more amps as I go.

My only goal for now is to be able to tune the pitch of each using pots to either make some sort of chromatic scale, or, If I find this is unrealistic or the range is too limited, to just make some sort of simple ‘synthesizer’ and get a blend of frequencies that are quite close to each other to achieve some sort of droning symphony where I can tweak the overtones and the interactions between notes. Maybe the whole thing will sound like shit. I think no matter what i’ll learn something.

Eventually i think it would be cool to find an appropriate step-down transformer and chassis and adapt it to 120v from the wall.

Some feedback I would like is:

-Does anyone have experience tinkering with moped horns?

- Does anyone have a surplus of spare horns that they may want to donate to this cause? Preferably the same make/model, but different model horns might provide a certain diversity of sound that could be interesting.

Note* I don’t know a TON about electronics, so please just be constructively critical if my vocabulary is off. Any and all suggestions welcome.

Re: Moped Horn Instrument

The horns running off of d.c. voltage sound best by far.

Your gonna want a waveform generator. So you can screw around n such. Square and sawtooth.

If you use multiple horns you can tune resonant freqs with weights or magnets..

Your giving me idea s now...I could pull apart an old tube am radio, tap off and tune the intermediate freq and possibly control the pitch with the air-gap tuning cap..

I'm gonna think about this for a minute.

Probably Fred /

Marine air horn

I saw a guy who raspberry pi built a megaphone speaker to play whatever melodies you want. it'd need a battery but you can get alotta juice in a small package pretty cheaply these days w Li.

tootle the horn melodiously

These ones give reliably intermittent operations and fairly capable tone, like you would expect from the manufacturers reputation...

gurtnerhorns.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account